Author Topic: Post Workout Formula???  (Read 15271 times)

Lugar

• Getbig IV
Post Workout Formula???
« on: April 23, 2007, 07:11:00 AM »
 I'd love to know some experiences with cytogainer, myoplex packets, Up your Mass, and Muscle Milk LIGHT......anyone use them?  Gains?  Lean?  Dry?

I'm worried about the sodium content #1, and the ingredients #2...along with results...

Would just oats and whey be the BEST alternative for a shake pw IF YOU couldn't get a meal in for 1.5-2.5 hours?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Post Workout Formula???
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 06:03:40 PM »
I'd love to know some experiences with cytogainer, myoplex packets, Up your Mass, and Muscle Milk LIGHT......anyone use them?  Gains?  Lean?  Dry?

I'm worried about the sodium content #1, and the ingredients #2...along with results...

Would just oats and whey be the BEST alternative for a shake pw IF YOU couldn't get a meal in for 1.5-2.5 hours?

Usually, my post-workout shake consists of a third or fourth serving of whatever protein supplement I've been using all day.

When I was using weight-gainers, that post-workout shake was a third serving of either Mega Mass 2000 or N-Large2. Over the past couple of years, I've used RTDs (Isopure, ABB's Pure Pro or Blue Thunder).

However, over the last several months, my post-workout shake has consisted of the following:

- Two scoops of CELL-TECH Hardcore (For some reason, the big jugs only come in Fruit Punch).

- Two scoops of Anator P-70 (Orange Cooler, not Berry Blast; that tastes almost as bad as powdered GAKIC did).

- Two scoops Whey Protein (ON Classic Whey or ON 100% Whey Gold Standard).

It works well for me. But, in the grand scheme of things, getting some type of protein shake in your system within 30-45 minutes after training helps a great deal, when it comes to recovery. I didn't use pure whey all the time, when I was younger, because I couldn't afford it (as evident by my use of Mega Mass). In fact, when I switched gainers, I initially started using the original N-Large, the protein base of which was milk and egg. When Prolab changed its formula to N-Large2 10 years ago, the protein was switched to whey.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 02:48:19 AM »
Why are you worried about the sodium content?

Go to somewhere like www.trueprotein.com or www.proteinfactory.com & just create your own formula. That's what I usually do. Mine pretty much always look like the following:

60% Carbs (Rice & Maltodex)
40% Protein (Whey isolate & maybe a little bit of egg white)

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 07:20:23 AM »
Went to buy my cyto and spoke with the dude working at the nut. store. Tall kid, thin, etc. Played dumb and asked him his opinion "Cyto is by far my favorite!" How were your gains? Good, although you will alway gain chub using a mass shake, no matter what you do (as he grabs a roll from his waste).....well, what flavor? Always vanialla, I tried choc mint (which i bought over the net, not hear yet) and he said it was waaayyy too strong, had to mix it with vanilla......now that sounds good! But, i made no purchase......maybe this weekend if mine doesnt come in today.....thoughts?
I had to laugh!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 07:28:20 AM »
get yourself some BCAA from MRM and take 5 grams before and after you train and some creatine with grape juice afterwards and then eat solid food 10-15 minutes later, no need for a whey protein shake, total waste.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 08:21:14 AM »
no need for a whey protein shake, total waste.

I understand your point & I've tried it several ways (i.e. shake, BCAA's, solid food) but I haven't noticed a difference. But then again that's just me & I personally like to have a shake because it's easier.

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 11:05:22 AM »
get yourself some BCAA from MRM and take 5 grams before and after you train and some creatine with grape juice afterwards and then eat solid food 10-15 minutes later, no need for a whey protein shake, total waste.

I;ve been sipping on bcaas while I train for the past month now, more for recovery....working well.

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 03:04:04 PM »
YEE HAW!!!  Got my cytogainer and muscle milk in the mail today.....tomorrow starts day 1....now I'm pumped!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 03:45:52 PM »
I understand your point & I've tried it several ways (i.e. shake, BCAA's, solid food) but I haven't noticed a difference. But then again that's just me & I personally like to have a shake because it's easier.

yeah it's no big deal, whey protein is just food anyway, i just like to eat solid food soon after i train and i love the BCAA product from MRM, the great thing about it is that you can take it with meals if you want to and it doesn't interfere with digestion at all.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 04:21:31 PM »
yeah it's no big deal, whey protein is just food anyway, i just like to eat solid food soon after i train and i love the BCAA product from MRM, the great thing about it is that you can take it with meals if you want to and it doesn't interfere with digestion at all.
Agree. This one good product.

YorkTown

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 12:23:43 AM »
i've been reading about how its good to have dextrose and maltodextrin in the post workout shake.

its supposed to bump insulin and is very quickly absorbed.

BCAA is sorta the same thing i think.

im hoping to see some good concoctions here. I'm looking to join a gym and need to get my diet in proper order.

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2007, 04:59:42 AM »
how bout my cyto?  good product?

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2007, 06:18:14 AM »
how bout my cyto?  good product?

ive used the cytogainer before and was happy with the product.  taste was good and mixes easily in a shaker. 

it has a good amount of maltodextrin.  when i used it did add some dextrose powder to the mix.

you could also mix in about 8ounces of grape juice.

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2007, 01:42:37 PM »
How were your gains from cyto?  Lean?  Don't really want the excess water retention or fat gain if there IS anything associated with it.....then I'd be better off with just oats and whey.....but I just bought a tub, you would reccommend?

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2007, 02:06:01 PM »

- Two scoops of CELL-TECH Hardcore (For some reason, the big jugs only come in Fruit Punch).

- Two scoops of Anator P-70 (Orange Cooler, not Berry Blast; that tastes almost as bad as powdered GAKIC did).

- Two scoops Whey Protein (ON Classic Whey or ON 100% Whey Gold Standard).

Quick question (not a knock) but how much does all that cost per serving?

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2007, 02:12:44 PM »
Who knows.....I am interested in results....look it up.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2007, 02:28:42 PM »
Who knows.....I am interested in results....look it up.

1. Question directed at MCway

2. If you were interested in results you would actually be getting somewhere instead of posting the same babbling questions on every board, you've even infiltrated the G & O board. 

3. Good luck

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2007, 02:56:38 PM »
How were your gains from cyto?  Lean?  Don't really want the excess water retention or fat gain if there IS anything associated with it.....then I'd be better off with just oats and whey.....but I just bought a tub, you would reccommend?

go with the cyto not the oats ....your body needs those fast acting carbs pwo.

i usually go with a 2:1 carb to protein shake.... 100g of maltodextrin/dextrose and 50g of whey isolate or hydrolized whey.

i think the cyto is about 75g malto per serving.

oats would be a better choice as a pre workout meal.

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2007, 05:46:09 AM »
lean gains bro?  water retention?  fat? bloat?  should I start with two scoops?

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2007, 06:09:08 AM »
lean gains bro?  water retention?  fat? bloat?  should I start with two scoops?

You're supposed to be bulking. Why in the hell are you worried about water retention & gaining a little fat?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2007, 11:12:30 AM »
Quick question (not a knock) but how much does all that cost per serving?

Haven't crunched the numbers. I'd guess that it's somewhere between $5 and $7 per serving.

I got the Anator and CELL-TECH Hardcore, a couple of months ago, when GNC had the "Buy one; get one 50% off" promotion. That, plus my Gold Card, let me get those items at a fairly good price.

The two bottles of Anator cost about $90 (after all the discounts).

The two jugs of CELL-TECH Hardcore were also about $90; also two months' worth (if I load the first week with each jug; if I don't, the jugs last a bit longer).

As for the protein powder, A 5-lb. jug of ON Classic Whey will run about $24; The 100% Whey Gold Standard is around $30; but, I can occasionally get a 5-lb jug for $20.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2007, 11:34:02 AM »
Haven't crunched the numbers. I'd guess that it's somewhere between $5 and $7 per serving.

I got the Anator and CELL-TECH Hardcore, a couple of months ago, when GNC had the "Buy one; get one 50% off" promotion. That, plus my Gold Card, let me get those items at a fairly good price.

The two jugs of CELL-TECH Hardcore were also about $90; also two months' worth (if I load the first week with each jug; if I don't, the jugs last a bit longer).

As for the protein powder, A 5-lb. jug of ON Classic Whey will run about $24; The 100% Whey Gold Standard is around $30; but, I can occasionally get a 5-lb jug for $20.

Fair enough...

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2007, 06:19:48 PM »

come on sqaud, there are a plethora of studies showing that a whey/carb shake post-workout most-definitely is beneficial. Having a solid post-workout meal is required, but a post-workout shake is just iciing on the cake.

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
  • From the outside looking in you cant understand it
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2007, 07:12:37 PM »

$5-7 bucks a day? that seems like such a waste of money. what's wrong with creatine monohydrate and some dextrose powder?
i'll admit i buy some overpriced stuff when it's 70-80% marked down and worth it to me, but i couldn't imagine spending 5 bucks a day on a postworkout shake......
Go Big Red!!!

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2007, 05:05:12 AM »
what is wrong with cyto??