Author Topic: Bush Gives Gonzales Vote of Confidence  (Read 842 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Bush Gives Gonzales Vote of Confidence
« on: April 23, 2007, 08:48:34 AM »
After all that smoke:  "As the hearings went forward, it was clear the attorney general broke no law, there's no wrongdoing," Bush said.

Apr 23, 10:58 AM EDT
Bush Gives Gonzales Vote of Confidence

By TERENCE HUNT
AP White House Correspondent

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush gave embattled Attorney General Alberto Gonzales a strong vote of confidence on Monday despite scant support and scathing criticism from key Republicans.

"This is an honest, honorable man, in whom I have confidence," Bush said.

The president said that Gonzales' testimony before skeptical Judiciary Committee senators last week "increased my confidence" in his ability to lead the Justice Department. Separately, a White House spokeswoman said, "He's staying."

Gonzales has been under fire for what the White House acknowledges was his poor handling of the firing of eight federal prosecutors. He claimed dozens of times at last week's hearing that he couldn't recall key details about the prosecutors' firings or about a key November meeting that documents show he attended.

Bush said that while some senators did not like the way Gonzales answered the questions, he continues to back his attorney general.

"As the hearings went forward, it was clear the attorney general broke no law, there's no wrongdoing," Bush said.

However, key GOP lawmakers continued to raise doubts about Gonzales.

Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania, the top Republican on the committee, said on Sunday that Gonzales was certainly undermining himself and his agency's law enforcement efforts.

"The attorney general's testimony was very, very damaging to his own credibility. It has been damaging to the administration," Specter said of Gonzales' appearance. "No doubt, it is bad for the Department of Justice. It is harmful. There has been a very substantial decrease in morale."

"All of America saw why so many of us had felt for so long that he shouldn't be attorney general," said Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., a Judiciary committee member and one of Gonzales' most vocal critics. "He was not in command of the facts. He contradicted himself. And he doesn't really appreciate the role of attorney general."

Schumer maintained that Gonzales ought to step down as soon as possible.

Asked whether Gonzales should resign, Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., said: "I don't think he can be effective" if he remains in office.

Bush spoke about Gonazales during an Oval Office meeting with Gen. David Petraeus, commander of the Iraq war.

"The attorney general went up and gave a very candid assessment, and answered every question he could possibly answer - honestly answer - in a way that increased my confidence in his ability to do the job," Bush said.

White House deputy press secretary Dana Perino said that, "Now there are some people, granted, that don't support the attorney general. But he has the full confidence of the president. We reserve the right to respectfully disagree with friends of ours on Capitol Hill in this regard."

Acknowledging Gonzales' lack of support in Congress, Perino said the Justice Department has "a huge amount of responsibility outside of any dealings with Capitol Hill."

"I think that it was good to get the hearing over with," she said. "People can take a step back and then either ask follow-up questions or move on."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/G/GONZALES_PROSECUTORS?SITE=HIHAD&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Mr. Cortisol

• Getbig IV
  • Twink, Twink, little star.
Re: Bush Gives Gonzales Vote of Confidence
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 08:50:35 AM »
it was a witch hunt
Addicted to the Steal

vinnydountsnyc

• Getbig III
  • ''Billy is border line retarded'' Colette Nelson
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 08:52:19 AM »
WHO SUCKS WHOS DICK ?  :P
911 INSIDE JOB !

Mr. Cortisol

• Getbig IV
  • Twink, Twink, little star.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 08:59:50 AM »
WHO SUCKS WHOS DICK ?  :P

???

it was a witch hunt.
alberto gonzalez didnt look too bright, and i wouldnt trust him to be honest about anything.  and he's inefective at this point too.  he looked like a little lying weasel on the stand.  he will get no more respect and will be less than optimal at his job for the rest of the time.  but nothing to fire him over. if the white house wants to keep on a guy that looks like a lying weasel who cannot remember what he had for breakfast, so what.  it just makes them look worse and means they will do a poorer job. 
Addicted to the Steal

vinnydountsnyc

• Getbig III
  • ''Billy is border line retarded'' Colette Nelson
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 09:10:43 AM »
why fire him for not doing a good job lol !

nobody got fired after 911 what does anyone have to do to get fired in this admin ?
911 INSIDE JOB !

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 03:07:41 PM »
We all know how well that worked for Michael Brown & Donald Rumsfeld.  :-\

A GW endorsement is like the kiss of death! How soon do you think it'll be before he's gone?
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 05:26:47 PM »
Apr 23, 8:22 PM EDT
Gonzales Says He's Staying on the Job

By LARA JAKES JORDAN
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Bolstered by a fresh show of support from President Bush, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales sought Monday to move beyond calls for his resignation and lingering questions about his credibility after the firings of federal prosecutors.

Critics reluctantly conceded that Gonzales was likely to weather the political storm. But many scoffed at Bush's claim of having more confidence in his attorney general after Gonzales' Senate testimony last week that was filled with memory lapses.

Gonzales, speaking at a news conference about identity theft, said he was staying at the Justice Department. He declined, however, to say for how long.

"As long as I think that I can be effective and the president believes that I should continue to be at the head of the Department of Justice, I'll continue serving as the attorney general," Gonzales said.

He added: "Obviously, we'll be working with Congress to reassure them that we've identified that mistakes have been made here and we're taking steps to address them. But I can't just be focused on the U.S. attorneys situation."

His comments came a few hours after Bush described Gonzales as "an honest, honorable man in whom I have confidence."

. . .

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/G/GONZALES_PROSECUTORS?SITE=HIHAD&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT