Author Topic: Where's the Pride guys at?  (Read 1800 times)

Capt._America

• Getbig II
  • Would rather be feared than respected
Where's the Pride guys at?
« on: April 24, 2007, 08:18:06 AM »
Except for Andersen Silva, the Pride guys coming over to the UFC are not doing too good. Is it the cage that makes the difference?

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
Re: Where's the Pride guys at?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 09:53:21 AM »
the cage, the rules, all these things can throw a fighter. Look at Chuck when he went over to Pride, he got whooped by Rampage and made hard work of Overeem. I guess some guys need time to adapt to the new surroundings but its evident that the talent is still there
Scouser on Tour

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 04:11:30 PM »
i don't think it makes a difference. i like cro cop but he would have got knocked out in the cage or the ring with that kick simply because he was trying to block a body kick.  liddel..same thing. he would have lost to rampage back then weathter he was in the cage or not..now is a different story..he is a much improved fighter. not much difference in ufc or pride anybody can be beat however i think the ufc use to try to protect its better fighters with weaker matches while pride fought the best against the best.
irongearco.com

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 08:29:21 PM »
i don't think it makes a difference. i like cro cop but he would have got knocked out in the cage or the ring with that kick simply because he was trying to block a body kick.  liddel..same thing. he would have lost to rampage back then weathter he was in the cage or not..now is a different story..he is a much improved fighter. not much difference in ufc or pride anybody can be beat however i think the ufc use to try to protect its better fighters with weaker matches while pride fought the best against the best.

I don't think anyone is giving Napao credit for the great job he did GNPing Mirko.  First off, you could tell Mirko wasn't used to elbows on the ground.  If he was versed, he would have opted for open guard, or would have drawn Napaon closer using his hips, and underhooked to wait for a standup (which eventually came, and there was no reason for it, Herb Dean should have let Napao stay).  When they got to their feet, Mirko was dazed.  He didn't see the kick until it was too late (he was wincing just prior to impact).  Rules do make a difference, and Mirko's inability to fight in the cage showed. 

Capt._America

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 08:31:57 PM »
Just laughing, all you hear is how superior the Pride fighters are and really not seeing that right now, most of them are getting their asses handed to them

H4eafy

• Getbig III
  • I will Stop Procrastinating... Tomorrow
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 03:40:45 AM »
Just laughing, all you hear is how superior the Pride fighters are and really not seeing that right now, most of them are getting their asses handed to them
Yup, Im sure a lot of Pride groupies are eating their words now. This does not take anything away from pride though. Its the fighters, not the organisation.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 05:39:50 AM »
If he was versed, he would have opted for open guard, or would have drawn Napaon closer using his hips,

IMO, the open guard wouldn't have played out well for Mirko, as he would've been promptly passed by the superior bjj player Gonzaga.

I was waiting for Mirko to use his hips to pull Gonzaga in, but Mirko didn't seem to know to do that, neither did Elvis in his fight against Bisping.

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 10:43:56 AM »
Ill stand by what ive said, Nog and Crocop will tear through the UFC en route to a rematch will by then be for the HW title. Mirko has never fought worse, GG has never fought better. Put those 2 elements together and you get one of the biggest upsets ever in MMA. Congrats to him, i fully expect him to beat Randy if he fights that aggressively
Scouser on Tour

Capt._America

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 08:01:05 AM »
Ill stand by what ive said, Nog and Crocop will tear through the UFC en route to a rematch will by then be for the HW title. Mirko has never fought worse, GG has never fought better. Put those 2 elements together and you get one of the biggest upsets ever in MMA. Congrats to him, i fully expect him to beat Randy if he fights that aggressively

good luck on that one, Randy will rip his head of, should be a total ground and pound, but have to give the edge to
Randy.

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 11:03:46 AM »
good luck on that one, Randy will rip his head of, should be a total ground and pound, but have to give the edge to
Randy.

I agree!  GG will have a huge head and come in too confident and Randy being the Vet will come in and pound his ass in the ground!

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 09:36:08 AM »
I dont know, but whoever gets the ground advantage wins the fight as both guys are good enough on their feet. As i said, if GG can fight with that much aggression then his natural size and strength advantage could be the deciding factor. Will be a hell of a fight, and i dont see them lying there inactively to make the ref stand them up. This has all the makings of a classic
Scouser on Tour