Author Topic: Mexico City expected to legalize abortion  (Read 3657 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Mexico City expected to legalize abortion
« on: April 24, 2007, 10:50:31 AM »
If there are an estimated 200,000 "illegal" abortions per year now, it will be interesting to see if the number of "legal" abortions jumps. 

Mexico City expected to legalize abortion
POSTED: 11:56 a.m. EDT, April 24, 2007
Story Highlights• Mexico City lawmakers expected to approve abortion measure easily Tuesday
• Mexico City would legalize abortion in all cases during first 12 weeks of pregnancy
• In Latin America, abortion is legal for all women only in Cuba and Guyana
• Mexico City's move may have impact throughout heavily Roman Catholic region

MEXICO CITY, Mexico (AP) -- Mexico City lawmakers were voting to legalize abortion Tuesday after weeks of candlelight vigils, marches and dueling appeals from the Vatican and reproductive rights groups around the world.

The proposal -- which would take effect with the leftist mayor's signature -- has alarmed Mexico's conservative ruling party. It likely will influence government policies and women's health practices across Mexico and in other parts of heavily Roman Catholic Latin America, and give poor women seeking abortions an alternative to back alleys and folk practices.

Nationally, Mexico allows abortion only in cases of rape, severe birth defects or if the mother's life is at risk. Mexico City's leftist government would legalize it in all cases during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy. The city legislature -- dominated by leftist lawmakers -- was expected to easily approve the measure Tuesday.

Opponents have pledged a Supreme Court appeal, arguing that life begins at conception and the law would violate the Mexican Constitution's protection of individual rights.

Across Latin America, abortion is legal for all women only in Cuba and Guyana. Most countries allow it only in cases of rape or when the mother's life is at risk. Nicaragua, El Salvador and Chile ban it completely.

"This will serve as a model to get abortion accepted nationwide, but also in Latin America and the Caribbean, where women who interrupt their pregnancies are still sent to jail," said Elba Garcia, 24, riding atop a flatbed truck in an abortion rights caravan Monday.

"Legal abortion is a fundamental right," supporters on the balloon-decked trucks chanted over loudspeakers.

The convoy passed by the street corner where sociologist Bernardo Lopez, 46, and three other anti-abortion advocates have fasted since Sunday trying to change the minds of city legislators.

"The Mexican people have strong values, and fundamentally support life," Lopez said as the caravan passed by. "We don't want this to become an example for other states, so we are going to continue fighting by all means."

But recent newspaper polls showed that a majority of Mexico City residents support legalized abortions, at least in the first weeks of pregnancy.

President Felipe Calderon opposes the proposal, and the Vatican sent its top anti-abortion campaigner to the Mexican capital. Church leaders have led marches and protests, pushing the limits of Mexico's constitutional ban on political activity by religious groups.

Armando Martinez, president of the College of Catholic Lawyers, plans to pursue the court appeal. He also submitted a petition Monday, signed by 36,000 people, calling for a city referendum on abortion.

The city and its suburbs are home to about one-fifth of the country's population, and Mexicans already are accustomed to traveling to the capital for medical treatment. Martinez said the law "could act as a magnet" for women from across Mexico seeking abortions.

An estimated 200,000 women have illegal abortions each year in Mexico, based on the number who show up at hospitals later seeking treatment for complications, said Martha Micher, director of the Mexico City government's Women's Institute.

Botched abortions kill about 1,500 women each year and are the third-leading cause of death for pregnant women in the capital, Micher said.

"Of those that die, most are young and poor," Micher said; more wealthy women "go to clinics abroad, where nobody knows them ... and have safe abortions."

None of the arguments put forward by the bill's supporters convince Elena Velasco, a 30-year-old lawyer who passed out anti-abortion leaflets before the vote.

"There should be better campaigns for the use of contraceptives, before we go to the lengths of legalizing abortion," Velasco said. "I see it as the murder of a young life in the making."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americas/04/24/mexico.abortion.ap/index.html

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
Re: Mexico City expected to legalize abortion
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 10:51:26 AM »
Who gives a fuck?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 09:45:40 PM »
Passed:

Mexico City legalizes abortion
POSTED: 10:01 p.m. EDT, April 24, 2007

MEXICO CITY, Mexico (AP) -- Mexico City lawmakers voted to legalize abortion Tuesday, a decision likely to influence policies and health practices across Mexico and other parts of heavily Roman Catholic Latin America.

The proposal, approved 46-19, with one abstention, will take effect with the expected signing by the city's leftist mayor.

Abortion opponents have already vowed to appeal the law to the Supreme Court, a move likely to extend the bitter and emotional debate in this predominantly Catholic nation.

"Decriminalizing abortion is a historic triumph -- a triumph of the left," said city legislator Jorge Diaz Cuervo, a social democrat who voted for the bill. "Today, there is a new atmosphere in this city. It is the atmosphere of freedom."

Nationally, Mexico allows abortion only in cases of rape, severe birth defects or if the woman's life is at risk. Doctors sometimes refuse to perform the procedure even under those circumstances.

The new law will require city hospitals to provide the procedure through the end of the first trimester and opens the way for private abortion clinics. Girls under 18 would have to get their parents' consent.

The procedure will be almost free for poor or insured city residents, but is unlikely to attract patients from the United States, where later-term abortion is legal in many states. Under the Mexico City law, abortion after 12 weeks would be punished by three to six months in jail.

. . .

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americas/04/24/mexico.abortion.ap/index.html

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 09:47:41 PM »
........another city that approves legalized murder!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 12:59:08 AM »
........another city that approves legalized murder!

You support death penalty but are against abortions?

Explain the reason in that.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 07:27:09 AM »

-Hedge

Crime vs. Innocents..........how hard is that to figure out?

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 07:28:36 AM »

-Hedge

if he got a girl preggo by mistake, he would love abortion.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 08:17:58 AM »

The Catholic Church claims that only God have the power to take lives, that's why they oppose both abortion and death penalty.

Are you saying they are wrong?

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 08:26:05 AM »
The Catholic Church claims that only God have the power to take lives, that's why they oppose both abortion and death penalty.

Are you saying they are wrong?

-Hedge
YES
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 11:32:08 AM »
And guess who was at the helm of getting that legislation passed?

You guessed it!!!!  The good ol' ACLU!   ::) Because they fear a reversal of Roe v. Wade being immenent, they've already done their homework and pumped money into lobbying in Mexico.  Mexico will now be the largest baby-killer in the western hemisphere.

egj13

• Getbig III
  • Got life by the balls
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 11:39:43 AM »
And guess who was at the helm of getting that legislation passed?

You guessed it!!!!  The good ol' ACLU!   ::) Because they fear a reversal of Roe v. Wade being immenent, they've already done their homework and pumped money into lobbying in Mexico.  Mexico will now be the largest baby-killer in the western hemisphere.

Maybe it is the ACLUs way of combating illegal immigration

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 11:50:59 AM »

Taking a life is taking a life... end of story.

You can't be pro-life and for the death penalty. That's very hypocritical.

You can "mask" it in "Criminals vs. Innocents", but the base of it all is that a human life is being taken away. You disagree?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 11:52:26 AM »
YES

So the oldest group of Christians in existence, plus the people who actually put together our modern day Bible, are wrong about the meaning of the scriptures within it.

Man, Christianity doesn't stand a chance.

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 11:55:04 AM »
So the oldest group of Christians in existence, plus the people who actually put together our modern day Bible, are wrong about the meaning of the scriptures within it.

Man, Christianity doesn't stand a chance.
They got lost along the way and somehow became a group of pedophiles.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 11:57:14 AM »
They got lost along the way and somehow became a group of pedophiles.

I won't disagree with that... Take away a man's ability to fornicate and you see what you get.

Still, the death penalty is just EXTREMELY late term abortion in my opinion.

egj13

• Getbig III
  • Got life by the balls
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 12:29:35 PM »

You can "mask" it in "Criminals vs. Innocents", but the base of it all is that a human life is being taken away. You disagree?

In my stance against abortion I feel the way I do because the baby has no say in it. Now if they baby chose to be concieved (the mormons believe in this) and didn't think of the consequences well then you have a case to put it down. The guy on death row made a bad decision that got him in this mess.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 01:46:59 PM »
In my stance against abortion I feel the way I do because the baby has no say in it. Now if they baby chose to be concieved (the mormons believe in this) and didn't think of the consequences well then you have a case to put it down. The guy on death row made a bad decision that got him in this mess.

He did make a decision, but it wasn't the decision to get killed.

Just doesn't sit right with me.

egj13

• Getbig III
  • Got life by the balls
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 01:49:02 PM »
He did make a decision, but it wasn't the decision to get killed.

Just doesn't sit right with me.

I respect your POV, I guess I am just an old school face the consequences for your actions guy

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 01:55:22 PM »

I disagree.  An unborn child has made no choices and committed no crime.  Someone convicted of first degree murder planned and carried out the intentional killing of another person.  No comparison. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 02:02:27 PM »
I respect your POV, I guess I am just an old school face the consequences for your actions guy

I believe in consequences... I'm all for life in prison, with hard labor, and removal of all these "fluff" things that prisoners get... like TV and bullshit.

I just don't believe in taking a life, no matter whose it is.

egj13

• Getbig III
  • Got life by the balls
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2007, 02:06:13 PM »
I believe in consequences... I'm all for life in prison, with hard labor, and removal of all these "fluff" things that prisoners get... like TV and bullshit.

I agree with the fluff, WTF is up with that anyway?

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2007, 02:08:20 PM »
I disagree.  An unborn child has made no choices and committed no crime.  Someone convicted of first degree murder planned and carried out the intentional killing of another person.  No comparison. 
I agree.  That comparing a criminal with an unborn child is not a good argument.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2007, 02:10:40 PM »

Add weight training to that too!   >:(  Some prison systems have better training equipment than the average gym in the country where the law-abiding folks pay a minimum of $30/month.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2007, 03:03:57 PM »
I agree with the fluff, WTF is up with that anyway?

No clue...

You can say lots of bad things about the Russians, but the idea of sending people to Siberia was a really good one if you want people to live with their consequences.

Prison is supposed to be HARD... You lose your civil liberties in prison... you have no rights and while you shouldn't be "mistreated", you shouldn't have the same ease of life that a person who is free in the world should have.

Prison is supposed to be so bad you NEVER want to go back. It's just not like that today.