Author Topic: Kobe pours in 15! Another Lakers classic!  (Read 6025 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Kobe pours in 15! Another Lakers classic!
« on: April 25, 2007, 05:38:10 AM »
Lakers lost in the valley of the Suns
Lakers' effort is close to worst playoff loss as energetic Phoenix takes a 2-0 series lead.

Nothing the Lakers wanted to witness, and everything they feared would happen: Game 2 went to Phoenix, decisively, 126-98, on Tuesday at US Airways Center.

The Suns lead the best-of-seven series, 2-0, and added to the already disturbed feelings of a team in serious decline. Game 3 is Thursday night at Staples Center.

Unlike Game 1, this one wasn't close to competitive, with reporters scrambling for record books for all the reasons the Lakers couldn't have fathomed.

The effort bordered on the Lakers' worst playoff loss, a 112-77 humiliation at Utah in May 1998. Only an empty-the-benches fourth quarter, after the Suns' lead had swelled to 32, saved the visiting team from a possible record-setting evening.

The Lakers allowed a staggering 68 points in the first half, the most they have surrendered in a half this season, another sign of a sinking team that fell to 1-12 against teams with a winning record since a Feb. 3 victory at Washington.

No surprise, Kobe Bryant was the Lakers' leading scorer, but, very surprisingly, he had only 15 points. He had nine points on four-for-seven shooting in the first quarter but scored only six points the rest of the way, making one of six shots.

"Give me a break," he yelled out to nobody in particular as the first half came to a close and the Lakers trailed by 21.

He left the game with 5:44 to play, taking a long, lonely walk to the locker room after spraining his right ankle a few minutes earlier in a collision with Barbosa. Bryant is expected to play Thursday.

As if the Lakers didn't have enough on their minds.

Tuesday night was reminiscent of their Game 7 collapse against the Suns last season, a 121-90 loss that was the worst Game 7 defeat in team history.

And, of equal or greater concern to them, only 11 of 193 teams (5.7%) in NBA history have come back from a 2-0 deficit to win a best-of-seven series.

"It's not like we have the best talent in the league, so we really have to pride ourselves on playing hard all the time," said Bryant, who was then asked whether the Lakers had enough ability to beat the Suns. "Talent-wise, if we try to go mano-a-mano with them, absolutely not. The Phoenix Suns are an incredibly deep team. That's true for many teams in the league. We have to play a smarter game. We have to play hard and we have to win the hustle points."

The Suns, on the other hand, had no problem overcoming a glitch in their system. They had lost five consecutive Game 2s in their last five playoff series, including last season against the Lakers and Clippers, but Barbosa and Nash continued to skewer the Lakers.

Barbosa was presented with the NBA's Sixth Man award before the game, and then made the Lakers look like bronze statues, again whipping his way through their defense for 26 points, 17 in the first half. Nash had 16 points and 14 assists.

"I don't know if we've played better, but that's pretty good," Suns Coach Mike D'Antoni said.

There were questions of the Lakers' mind-set, and whether there was enough confidence in their locker room to come back for Game 3.

"There should be," Bryant said. "Better be."

If not, the Lakers could tie a team record Thursday with a sixth consecutive playoff loss.

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
Re: Kobe pours in 15! Another Lakers classic!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 06:19:45 AM »
Gosh, the Suns beat a 1 man team, how impressive.  lmao
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

marinesgt

• Getbig III
  • Talk again..I'll snatch the life from your body...
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 09:11:46 AM »
as much as i love my Lakers until they fill their roster with quality players they have no chance of getting another title.. :'(  if they could lure KG from Minnesota(fat chance) they could make a serious run but shit the roster they have now would probably lose to a college team if they played one...bryant should either demand to get better players on the team or ask for a trade to a team that's worth a shit..one man can't take a team to the Big One...hell Jordan couldn't do that and he's the greatest there was...
FIYAAAH!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 10:26:40 AM »
as much as i love my Lakers until they fill their roster with quality players they have no chance of getting another title.. :'(  if they could lure KG from Minnesota(fat chance) they could make a serious run but shit the roster they have now would probably lose to a college team if they played one...bryant should either demand to get better players on the team or ask for a trade to a team that's worth a shit..one man can't take a team to the Big One...hell Jordan couldn't do that and he's the greatest there was...

No one here seems to comprehend that the kobester's part of the problem. He likes being a one-man team, did not appreciate the team concept while winning. The only problem is details like losing big-time in the playoffs thanks to it.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 01:23:58 PM »
At least we know that Phil Jackson is not a coaching genius. That arrogant prick ALWAYS had the best players during his championship years. Michael and Scottie. Kobe and Shaq.

The one time I will give Jackson any credit for being a great coach was during the '93-94 season one year removed from Jordan's first retirement. Took his team to 55 wins and the Eastern conference finals, game seven against the Knicks. Got to give him props for that accomplishment. Definitely deserved coach of the year for that.

This year, in no way shape or form has he gotten that Lakers squad to overachieve. That team is playing right at their level with the talent base they have. Gotta agree with Pumpster. Kobe loves being the one man show no matter how many wins or loses his team has. Of course, he wants to win but he loves that spotlight and the weight of that team on his shoulders. I seriously doubt that he would be willing to let another superstar shoulder that load at this stage(his prime years).

Oh well, at least he won 3 rings before he turned 24 years old. Not too many players, if any, can say that.

Sergio Rules 77

• Getbig III
  • Sergio can split the atom. With his bare hands.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 03:08:30 PM »
Hey, maybe the man's tired from carrying the team all year :). I'm sure lesser players like Jordan, Bird, Magic, Russell, Wilt & Kareem would barely have had the energy to even get to the playoffs ;).

Did you see the jerk at the press conference after Game 2. He said "Obviously we don't have the most talented team in the league". I'll say, probably cause your on the team you overrated arrogant piece of shit. Honestly, how must that make the rest of his teamates feel ?.

SERGIO!!!!
Ugh, my retirement grease

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 03:12:25 PM »

Did you see the jerk at the press conference after Game 2. He said "Obviously we don't have the most talented team in the league". I'll say, probably cause your on the team you overrated arrogant piece of shit. Honestly, how must that make the rest of his teamates feel ?.

SERGIO!!!!

Which jerk, kobe or phil? LOL I know it's the kobester.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 02:21:06 AM »
I HOPE THAT KEVIN GARNETT DOESN'T SIGN WITH THE LAKERS.   >:(  He and Kobe could be a great force together with the triangle.  They would simply need a set up jump shooter and a dish first point guard and they would be back in the thick of things. 

egj13

• Getbig III
  • Got life by the balls
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 06:06:07 AM »
At least we know that Phil Jackson is not a coaching genius. That arrogant prick ALWAYS had the best players during his championship years. Michael and Scottie. Kobe and Shaq.

The one time I will give Jackson any credit for being a great coach was during the '93-94 season one year removed from Jordan's first retirement. Took his team to 55 wins and the Eastern conference finals, game seven against the Knicks. Got to give him props for that accomplishment. Definitely deserved coach of the year for that.

This year, in no way shape or form has he gotten that Lakers squad to overachieve. That team is playing right at their level with the talent base they have. Gotta agree with Pumpster. Kobe loves being the one man show no matter how many wins or loses his team has. Of course, he wants to win but he loves that spotlight and the weight of that team on his shoulders. I seriously doubt that he would be willing to let another superstar shoulder that load at this stage(his prime years).

Oh well, at least he won 3 rings before he turned 24 years old. Not too many players, if any, can say that.

What was the last championship team in pro-sports that won a title without the best players. Any sport.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 08:45:46 AM »
What was the last championship team in pro-sports that won a title without the best players. Any sport.
Doesn't always follow; some of the best teams aren't just the best players, some of the best players aren't on the best teams.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 08:52:05 AM »
The Lakers will be back although not this year.  No NBA franchise has won as consistently over as many decades.  Kobe is not the problem.  The reality is obvious and is being way overplayed by the Kobe-haters to suit their own agenda. Namely- You have a superior 2 seed in the Suns which defended their homecourt advantage, as expected, over a less talented 7 seed (which is not a good road team to boot).

Speaking of the Suns, when was the last time anybody wrote a book about a team that didn't even make it into the finals?  And then devoting 100 pages to ridiculing their first round opponent (which, by the way came one last second shot away from defeating them 4-2).  Win a title first- until then shut the hell up.

egj13

• Getbig III
  • Got life by the balls
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 10:25:51 AM »
Doesn't always follow; some of the best teams aren't just the best players, some of the best players aren't on the best teams.

I know but he was knocking Jackson. But can you name me the last championship coach that didn't get carried by great players and simply coached to a championship?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 12:10:30 PM »
Honestly, I thought Kobe would turn into MJ in this series.  I thought he'd rain down 60 a game with 2 buzzer beaters and win it in 7.  Still could happen, but not looking good.

At least no matter how bad his legacy ends up being, Kobe is still one of the best, and has his $200 million to ease the pain a bit.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 02:06:37 PM »
Honestly, I thought Kobe would turn into MJ in this series.  I thought he'd rain down 60 a game with 2 buzzer beaters and win it in 7. 

That's where the flawed character issues come into play that bum's oblivious to. :D

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 02:59:44 PM »
Kobe does not have character problems, it happens to be the team that has been put around him, as people who watch the team know:

(1) Kwame- no ability to play through pain, lacks focus, immature

(2) Bynum- has not shown the passion yet

(3) Odom- ditto, too deferential, disappears,

(4) Vlade- snowboarding (enough said)

(5) Sasha- lacks confidence

All Kobe does is work harder than any player in the league on imporving his game. HUGE character flaw.  In the middle of scoring race, he can pull it back and have a double digit assist game without focusing on scoring.  HOW SELFISH.
When surrounded by good players he has three rings.  The so-called great character players like Nash?  ZERO.  When Dirk crumbled like a wet kleenex in the finals last year I don't recall the same level of hatred.  It's garbrage.

Sergio Rules 77

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 03:30:43 PM »
I HOPE THAT KEVIN GARNETT DOESN'T SIGN WITH THE LAKERS.   >:(  He and Kobe could be a great force together with the triangle.  They would simply need a set up jump shooter and a dish first point guard and they would be back in the thick of things. 

Kevin is a hell of a player, but like McGrady, he is a proven non winner. Simply bringing in boat loads of talent will not win you a title. Look at the Lakers of 2004 or the Suns of the mid 90's. I don't think Garnett is the answer to the Lakers problems.

I know but he was knocking Jackson. But can you name me the last championship coach that didn't get carried by great players and simply coached to a championship?

That would be Larry Brown in '04. You would have to go back to the 70's to maybe the Warriors beating the more fancied Bullets in '75 but there haven't been many. I would say Tomjanovich or Popovich but even they had Olajuwon & Duncan.

SERGIO!!!!

bodybusiness

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 03:38:59 PM »
is this a hate kobe thread?

kobe isn't the problem in this scenario. if you guys watched game 2, you'll realize how many shots everybody missed. certain players weren't playing their roles. there were open 3's that could have been made and set plays that went nowhere. the only hustle i saw from that game came from Lamar Odom. he wants to win just like kobe...but the other players are still kinda just playing just to play (ie. Cook, Farmar, Luke, Sasha).

there's so much crap on this post i don't even know where to start to respond. Phil not a great coach? Best teams not made out of best players? Are we watching the same basketball game?

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 03:52:37 PM »
is this a hate kobe thread?

the other players are still kinda just playing just to play (ie. Cook, Farmar, Luke, Sasha).

See my post above.  And yes, it is a "hate Kobe thread" which is utterly rediculous.

bodybusiness

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2007, 03:59:58 PM »
See my post above.  And yes, it is a "hate Kobe thread" which is utterly rediculous.

well put

leading an unathletic and inexperienced team with no real point guard to the playoffs is such a shame for kobe. no one would ever think to just give him the ball and say "hey go win the game for me"

Sergio Rules 77

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 04:40:46 PM »
Last night I was watching the ESPN2 2 on 2 Conversation between Magic, Bird, Carmelo & Lebron that was on a few years back, and Magic said that he realised Jordan was a giant in the league when he stopped averaging 37 points a game and instead made his teamates better. It's time Kobe started doing the same.

Jordan didn't need Moses Malone, Adrian Dantley or other high profile players who were rumored to be going to the Bulls in the late 80's, just like Kobe shouldn't need Garnett or Jermaine O'Neal. If Kobe is as good as everyone says he is, he will make his teamates better just by his sheer will and determination. However, I doubt Kobe has these characteristics, and he will continue to be a selfish jerk worried about his ego and his stats.

SERGIO!!!!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 04:44:30 PM »
Last night I was watching the ESPN2 2 on 2 Conversation between Magic, Bird, Carmelo & Lebron that was on a few years back, and Magic said that he realised Jordan was a giant in the league when he stopped averaging 37 points a game and instead made his teamates better. It's time Kobe started doing the same.

Jordan didn't need Moses Malone, Adrian Dantley or other high profile players who were rumored to be going to the Bulls in the late 80's, just like Kobe shouldn't need Garnett or Jermaine O'Neal. If Kobe is as good as everyone says he is, he will make his teamates better just by his sheer will and determination. However, I doubt Kobe has these characteristics, and he will continue to be a selfish jerk worried about his ego and his stats.

SERGIO!!!!

Precisely; it ain't rocket science EXCEPT to some here. ;D

bodybusiness

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 07:07:55 PM »
mm ok so what are u trying to say? Kobe is a bad player? or that he is a bad teammate? or the team sucks as a whole?

Sergio Rules 77

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2007, 07:55:43 PM »
mm ok so what are u trying to say? Kobe is a bad player? or that he is a bad teammate? or the team sucks as a whole?

Bad Player:

Kobe is not a bad player, but he's maybe the most sellfish player to ever play in the league. Plus he's not in the same universe as some players people are comparing him to like Jordan, Bird, Magic, Oscar, etc.

Bad Teamate:

Without a doubt.

Team sucks as a Whole :

Yes. Only because in game situations Kobe is unwilling to make the effort to make those around him better. I haven't seen the two playoff games against the Suns but in one of their last regular season games against the Suns he was being double teamed and still jacking up the most low percantage shots you can imagine. It was a total meltdown of a guy with a monstrous ego. Until he learns to pass the ball on a regular basis and become a better teamate, those around him will always suck. Unless your name is SHAQ and your 6 years younger than you are now.

SERGIO!!!!

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007, 08:11:06 PM »

2001 New England Patriots weren't close to the best players on the field during the Superbowl against the Rams. I realize it's the NFL and not the NBA but you did say any sport.

The absolute best players don't always win. The same can be said for the Cardinals last year in the World Series and of course the Marlins a few years ago. The Chicago White Sox on paper were the best team in baseball last year but they didn't win. Nearly every year the Yankees have the best team on paper as well. They're lineup is ridiculously stacked with All-Stars yet they don't win every year either.

Again, I'm not saying it's always the case but the best players don't always win. At times it's a case of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.

Wasn't there a thread on this board about Kobe being better than Jordan? LOL That little winner of a statement could rank up there with the stupidest proclamations ever made.

bodybusiness

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2007, 02:06:56 AM »
so i'm guessing today's victory was a big hoax since the suns were up and they weren't playing their best? what do the kobe haters have to say?