Author Topic: I have seen the absolute dumbest thing in my Gym yesterday!!!!!!!!  (Read 3737 times)

Stark

• Getbig V
Ok I promise you I am telling the truth...

I have seen a guy that is using straps yes straps for Olympic Bar Curls  :-X :-X

Colossus_1986

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
Re: I have seen the absolute dumbest thing in my Gym yesterday!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 10:13:51 AM »

I have seen a guy that is using straps yes straps for Olympic Bar Curls  :-X :-X

thats not uncommon, i use straps for alot of shit if ever i feel my tendonitis kicking in. It acts up whenever i grip the bar to tight with my hand, so using the straps takes that bad habit away and helps ease the pain. keep in mind only on heavy sets.

StillTippin

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 10:45:14 AM »
I see the same guy every couple weeks at one of the local gyms.  Uses straps on everything.  Even military press and bench press.  If I have to ditch the weight for what ever reason the last thing I want is to be strapped to the bar.

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 12:27:02 PM »

STRYDOM used to use them for bb and db curls. 

nasser=piece of shit

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 12:35:24 PM »
thats not uncommon, i use straps for alot of shit if ever i feel my tendonitis kicking in. It acts up whenever i grip the bar to tight with my hand, so using the straps takes that bad habit away and helps ease the pain. keep in mind only on heavy sets.
um, if you grip the bar too tight, thats where the tendonitis comes from, so why don't you quit doing that and avoid tendonitis.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Colossus_1986

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 12:35:39 PM »
like i stated earlier, it's not abnormal to use straps to ease off an injury or prevent a strain.

you want stupid?
this takes the cake:

Montrous latino guy squatting a masive 2plates and 20, and get this, rather than have a towel on the bar, or the foam padding, (i hate those pussies) this guy has....get this: a fuckin yoga mat, rolled up around the bar to cushion his upper back! what a queer! lol

Colossus_1986

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 12:37:54 PM »
um, if you grip the bar too tight, thats where the tendonitis comes from, so why don't you quit doing that and avoid tendonitis.

trying to, bad habit, when i go heavy i just tense up everything and it's just an instict to grab as tight as possible. trying to adapt.

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 01:05:37 PM »
Fuck staps be a man and grip that shit with your hands, if you can't grip the shit don't lift it. Doesn't anyone have pride in being a man anymore ??? Let me guess you are all also the guys who use fuckin gloves so you don't get rough hands ::)
I

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 01:34:35 PM »
Fuck staps be a man and grip that shit with your hands, if you can't grip the shit don't lift it. Doesn't anyone have pride in being a man anymore ??? Let me guess you are all also the guys who use fuckin gloves to you don't get rough hands ::)

I like the feel of iron but I need straps for Deadlifts

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 01:38:19 PM »
I like the feel of iron but I need straps for Deadlifts

That's understandable but I tend to not use straps cause if I can't hold it I am likely to end up hurting my lower back. My lower back isn't the strongest out there and I have strained it twice pretty good in the last 6-9 months.
I

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 01:54:07 PM »

I thought it was a mirror you saw....

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 02:00:58 PM »
I once saw a guy using straps to grip 15 lb dumbells when he was doing side laterals.. hahaha  ;D

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 02:10:51 PM »
I once saw a guy using straps to grip 15 lb dumbells when he was doing side laterals.. hahaha  ;D

FFS lol ;D

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 02:17:52 PM »
The dumbest thing i have ever seen in a gym is a guy doing squats on a swiss ball while trying to do cable crossovers at the same time....

BigCypriate

• Getbig IV
  • F****n Peasants!
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 03:55:33 AM »

That's understandable but I tend to not use straps cause if I can't hold it I am likely to end up hurting my lower back. My lower back isn't the strongest out there and I have strained it twice pretty good in the last 6-9 months.

Yeah man, I only use straps for my heaviest deads cos I dont want my grip going to failure before the muscles I am training

My back and arms can pull over 300 pounds, but my hands get fed up after a while!  ;D

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 04:02:52 AM »
Fuck staps be a man and grip that shit with your hands, if you can't grip the shit don't lift it. Doesn't anyone have pride in being a man anymore ??? Let me guess you are all also the guys who use fuckin gloves so you don't get rough hands ::)

There are a lot of people with extremely deficient grip strength who have to supplement their grip with straps.  I've noticed that there is a tendency for people with naturally decent grip to assume that this is the case across the board but I can assure you some (including myself) have shitty grip that doesn't really get *that* much better with more training.

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 04:10:05 AM »
There are a lot of people with extremely deficient grip strength who have to supplement their grip with straps.  I've noticed that there is a tendency for people with naturally decent grip to assume that this is the case across the board but I can assure you some (including myself) have shitty grip that doesn't really get *that* much better with more training.

I guess I am a genetic freak!!!!! HAHAHAHA J/K but let me ask you this...... would you say those with poor grip would be the same people who specific train forearms to ad size to them. I havn't trained my forearms since when I first began lifting and found them worthless as they gain size in proportion to my arms just gripping for all my lifts. I have heard people say before that you can do more pullups with straps but I never lose my grip before I get to failure, sometimes I even hang 1/2 way through a rep to fully exhaust my back after a set. One thing straps might help me with though is gripping the big DB's (over 100lbs) cause they are mostly all bent.
I

FinnPilot

• Getbig III
  • Team Patrick Bateman
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 04:13:32 AM »

Sorry, but at the gym i work out at, we have this guy who uses straps when doing bench presses ;D
And no, i am not kidding! I have to try to get a pic of that.

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2007, 04:18:23 AM »
Sorry, but at the gym i work out at, we have this guy who uses straps when doing bench presses ;D
And no, i am not kidding! I have to try to get a pic of that.

Same at my gym, one guy uses straps for bench pressing.

FinnPilot

• Getbig III
  • Team Patrick Bateman
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 04:25:22 AM »
Same at my gym, one guy uses straps for bench pressing.

I can't believe that shit.
Also, don't really understand the point using belt while doing seated dumbbell curls with 20lbs, like this guy wearing a white t-shirt is doing on this video ??? (yes, this has been posted here before):

akers1021

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • "Big arms and delts dont make you a bodybuilder"
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 04:30:04 AM »
Only things straps should be used for:

HEAVY deads
HEAVY weighted chins
HEAVY shrugs
Basically anything that goes 5 reps and below on back...if your focusing on the BACK not the forearms then use straps.

the end....

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 04:31:20 AM »
I can't believe that shit.
Also, don't really understand the point using belt while doing seated dumbbell curls with 20lbs, like this guy wearing a white t-shirt is doing on this video ??? (yes, this has been posted here before):

I don't wear a belt for anything, even deadlifts and squats.

Monster range of motion on those bench press... :D

FinnPilot

• Getbig III
  • Team Patrick Bateman
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2007, 04:39:10 AM »

Me neither. Yeah that video is a gem, two morons in one video :D

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007, 04:41:35 AM »
Only things straps should be used for:

HEAVY deads
HEAVY weighted chins
HEAVY shrugs
Basically anything that goes 5 reps and below on back...if your focusing on the BACK not the forearms then use straps.

the end....

Agreed..............

Only time I use a belt is day after leg day (which involves lower back workout) when I do my second back day (all rows) which sometimes inlcudes bent over BB rows. Other then that I only use my belt when my lower back feels sore or strained which has happened twice in the past 6-9months. I forgot that I also use a belt when I go below 6-8 reps for squat which isn't that often.
I

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2007, 04:43:02 AM »

That's a bit bizarre.