Author Topic: Why pitch to Pujols?  (Read 1714 times)

egj13

• Getbig III
  • Got life by the balls
Why pitch to Pujols?
« on: April 26, 2007, 06:04:31 AM »
I don't get it. This dude always comes through in the clutch and he did it again last night. Comes up with 2 on 0 outs in the 8th. I said to myself "put him on and pitch to Rolen" nope, Saarloos hangs a slider and he drives it to RC to drive in 2 runs and go ahead 3-1. When will they start pitching around this guy? They pitched around Bonds when he was on crutches last year.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Why pitch to Pujols?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 03:48:26 PM »
I don't get it. This dude always comes through in the clutch and he did it again last night. Comes up with 2 on 0 outs in the 8th. I said to myself "put him on and pitch to Rolen" nope, Saarloos hangs a slider and he drives it to RC to drive in 2 runs and go ahead 3-1. When will they start pitching around this guy? They pitched around Bonds when he was on crutches last year.

Pitch around him. Don't let him get a sniff of a strike.
The House that Ruth built

egj13

• Getbig III
  • Got life by the balls
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 03:58:08 PM »
Pitch around him. Don't let him get a sniff of a strike.

I know. Why aren't they doing this?

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 07:58:43 AM »
I know. Why aren't they doing this?

I can't figure out why Joe Torre lets Yankee pitchers challenge big papi. It boggles my mind.

egj13

• Getbig III
  • Got life by the balls
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 08:27:54 AM »
I can't figure out why Joe Torre lets Yankee pitchers challenge big papi. It boggles my mind.

Keep it upi because it keeps my fantasy team afloat!

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 08:52:33 AM »
I wonder the same thing about A-Rod. I think it's a pride issue with pitchers, if they give in and just walk these guys then they are openly admitting that they fear them. Ego is a hell of a thing.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 11:46:58 AM »

It's called Manny Ramirez.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 11:53:13 AM »

They had men on first and second with no outs, and you want the manager to load the bases so a sac fly or a DOUBLE PLAY gives them the lead?  That's retarded.

Granted it's a tough situation to be in, but you make it a situation where it takes a hit to score a run, and make a situation where the pitcher has to get a K or a force out at home.

You think Puljos has a better chance at getting a hit than Rolen does at flying out or grounding the ball to the infield?  The manager would get beaten in the public eye.

Y

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 01:08:32 PM »
It's called Manny Ramirez.

I would take my chances witn Manny. Big Papi is now the more dangerous hitter. Besides, last year Torre did the same thing while Manny was hurt.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 02:02:18 PM »
I would take my chances witn Manny. Big Papi is now the more dangerous hitter. Besides, last year Torre did the same thing while Manny was hurt.

They've been almost identical hitters the past view years, with Manny being a little better.  The difference being that Manny would bat with a man on after a walk.  You cannot put men on base in front of hitters like Giambi and Manny.  That's a reason that Drew has a big impact on the sox lineup.  Instead of the them being average 5-9, Drew makes it 6-9.

You're right - Manny hurt changes everything, though.
Y

body88

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 02:21:44 PM »

Why? Manny is one of the greatest hitters ever. He is a notoriously slow starter, but you are guaranteed 30-45 dinger's and over 100 ribbys every year. He raised his batting average from .300 in 05 to.320 last year, while missing 6 weeks due to injury during his historically "hottest" time of the year.The  guy is a career.314 hitter with 2081 hits, 427 hr's, and 1527 rbi's over 15 seasons. Walking Papi then facing Manny with JD Drew hitting .320 behind him would be great for us. I can only hope the Yankees do that.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 07:29:17 PM »
Why? Manny is one of the greatest hitters ever. He is a notoriously slow starter, but you are guaranteed 30-45 dinger's and over 100 ribbys every year. He raised his batting average from .300 in 05 to.320 last year, while missing 6 weeks due to injury during his historically "hottest" time of the year.The  guy is a career.314 hitter with 2081 hits, 427 hr's, and 1527 rbi's over 15 seasons. Walking Papi then facing Manny with JD Drew hitting .320 behind him would be great for us. I can only hope the Yankees do that.

Its only a matter of time till J.D. Drew gets hurt. Only two years over 90 rbi's in his 8 seasons. He peaked in college. No great shakes in the 5 hole.