Author Topic: Which has the better physique and should win Mr. O?  (Read 3588 times)

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Which has the better physique and should win Mr. O?
« on: April 26, 2007, 07:39:52 AM »
If these physiques were competing for the Mr. O, how would you rank them?

(And yes, I know it's only one pose each and they're not all the same but still...)

John Aranita

Ronnie Coleman '03

Ronnie Coleman '05

Ronnie Coleman '06

Jay Cutler

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Which has the better physique and should win Mr. O?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 07:41:46 AM »
Coleman 03.

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 07:42:22 AM »

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 07:48:46 AM »
the mexican
L

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 08:14:14 AM »
the guy at the top couldn't even win a national level show these days which is a shame cause that's what I feel BB should be about.  Yeah, you gotta be big but not at the expense of everything else.  I find it funny that the "sport" has totally moved away from the things that could help it with it's image with the public.  Nobody wants to look at a guy that looks like a pregnant alien just cause he's 300lbs with 3% BF but you put a guy up there with a pleasing physique and more people would be willing to at least pay it the time of day. 

honestly, what's wrong with any of the bodies these guys present representing the sport?  Who do you think the public would rather look at?
nasser=piece of shit

benjamin pearson

• Getbig IV
  • Dan18 has a huge forehead
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 09:04:23 AM »
the guy at the top couldn't even win a national level show these days which is a shame cause that's what I feel BB should be about.  Yeah, you gotta be big but not at the expense of everything else.  I find it funny that the "sport" has totally moved away from the things that could help it with it's image with the public.  Nobody wants to look at a guy that looks like a pregnant alien just cause he's 300lbs with 3% BF but you put a guy up there with a pleasing physique and more people would be willing to at least pay it the time of day. 

honestly, what's wrong with any of the bodies these guys present representing the sport?  Who do you think the public would rather look at?

good post I agree

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 09:15:01 AM »
good post I agree

I just don't get how they're judging the shows these days.  I'm not ajudge but I've seen the judging criteria in the past and I don't get it.  What exactly does Ronnie present these days that qualifies him to be the number 1 or 2 guy in the world?  I'm going strictly by what the rulebook says.  When Ron walks out there he's shocking but look at him from a BB perspective and it just does not add up to me especially in "classical BB terms".  Really, totally unbiased....should Ronnie as he appears today beat Danny Padilla from 1981?  Who better fits the bill in regards to how a physique SHOULD  be judged?  Danny has better sepreation, better taper, is more symmetrical, is in shape, can pose and has no weaknesses.  Ronnie is gigantic but has no taper to speak of at this point and is riddled with injuries..his posing sucks.  Ronnie has more impressive individual bodyparts but very little flow at this point in time. 

if you took a person and had them study the judging standards and criteria for a year and put Danny from 1981 and Ronnie from last year in front of him and had him judge them with no prior knowledge of what each of them has accomplished who would win?

nasser=piece of shit

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 09:25:52 AM »

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 09:40:33 AM »
Jon's not Mexican!

wasn't he Rory's training partner back in the day, he looks alot like him.  I think he lost the nationals to Labrada back in 85 but I could be wrong.  Wasn't he freakishly strong or something like that?
nasser=piece of shit

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 09:52:46 AM »
wasn't he Rory's training partner back in the day, he looks alot like him.  I think he lost the nationals to Labrada back in 85 but I could be wrong.  Wasn't he freakishly strong or something like that?

He was my training partner as well as one of my best friends, I was in his wedding party and there for the birth of their child, and yes, like everyone in our little group, he was strong as hell!

BTW, I was also at the Nationals when he should have beat LaBrada!

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 10:03:02 AM »
I agree, the more classical physiques are more attainable and pleasing to the eye.

But The top IFBB guys are like top fuel dragsters at the races.  A few people go to see the bracket racers...........but top fuel draws the crowd.

People want to see the most extreme of anything.  Kinda sad these guys are killing themselves for a trophy and fame in a subculture.

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 10:12:52 AM »
I agree, the more classical physiques are more attainable and pleasing to the eye.

But The top IFBB guys are like top fuel dragsters at the races.  A few people go to see the bracket racers...........but top fuel draws the crowd.

People want to see the most extreme of anything.  Kinda sad these guys are killing themselves for a trophy and fame in a subculture.

you really think Ronnie's physique will draw a larger (paying) crowd than Aranita's?

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 10:34:32 AM »

to a point yeah, bigger guys will draw more initial attention.  ronnie has a "wow" factor but after the initial shock wears off hardly anyone-general public and casual BB fans-really pay attention to him cause what he has does not appeal to them. 

A guy like Labrada, even though he was one of the best of alltime is alot more "attainable" to people, they look at him and think " maybe I could look like that if I busted my ass" and he'd actually motivate people where as when people see Ronnie all they see is a walking pharmacy.
nasser=piece of shit

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 10:42:14 AM »

I also agree with that. The only way that would happen is to ban HGH, IGF-1 & insilin and synthol. The main drugs that result in the alien bellies and major distorted physiques.

PB

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 10:53:44 AM »
I also agree with that. The only way that would happen is to ban HGH, IGF-1 & insilin and synthol. The main drugs that result in the alien bellies and major distorted physiques.

PB

there's criteria in place that should basically do this.   the balanced, proportioned, conditioned physique should win not the one with just "shock factor".  I think Toney Freeman should be crushing what Ronnie brings right now if you go by the way I interprete the judging.

put it this way, if Ronnie got in a time machine and stepped onstage at the 91 olympia, would he win?  No way.  he'd be shocking but he's not nearly balanced, proportionate or has the posing ability to beat alot of those guys who used to focus on that aspect of BB. 

The standard that is being shoved down our throats at the olympia these days is not what BB is about.  This is what it's about:
nasser=piece of shit

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 10:53:58 AM »

PB

Uh, no. They don't have to ban any drugs. simply grade people down if they have bellies or gyno, etc. That's it. If guys were losing contests because of that, they'd get rid of them because that's how they earn their living.

Victor VonDoom

• Getbig IV
  • ...and Doom shall control the world!
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 11:02:41 AM »

You're asking time--not to mention people's appetites--to stand still.  That's not the way the world works.  In all sports audiences and athletes want more: run/swim faster, lift heavier, get bigger etc.  As a sport body building has been dying a slow death, but when guys stop getting bigger and even more shredded, it will die immediately.

For the record, this is the last RC physique that Doom approved.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 11:10:06 AM »
You're asking time--not to mention people's appetites--to stand still.  That's not the way the world works.  In all sports audiences and athletes want more: run/swim faster, lift heavier, get bigger etc.  As a sport body building has been dying a slow death, but when guys stop getting bigger and even more shredded, it will die immediately.

For the record, this is the last RC physique that Doom approved.

you're actually right, I like the way things were in the past, I was happy with what the sport was doing up until about 2000 then it got moronic.  Now it's gotten progressively worse with the standards that the olympia is judged upon.  What Ronnie has in the pic you posted is probably the ideal but why has it deviated from that so much in the last few years?  Who's driving this type of change?  It can't be the public or even the casual BB fan cause sales of the mags suck, the o's attendence is down, the mrs. O is pretty much gone even thought it's another animal alltogether it's still a shame that it's a total afterthought right now. 

the sport would be better if the judges did a total "reset" and handled everything from this point forward a little different, stop judging on shock factor and award the guys who fit what BB is supposed to be.
nasser=piece of shit

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2007, 08:55:54 AM »
you're actually right, I like the way things were in the past, I was happy with what the sport was doing up until about 2000 then it got moronic.  Now it's gotten progressively worse with the standards that the olympia is judged upon.  What Ronnie has in the pic you posted is probably the ideal but why has it deviated from that so much in the last few years?  Who's driving this type of change?  It can't be the public or even the casual BB fan cause sales of the mags suck, the o's attendence is down, the mrs. O is pretty much gone even thought it's another animal alltogether it's still a shame that it's a total afterthought right now. 

the sport would be better if the judges did a total "reset" and handled everything from this point forward a little different, stop judging on shock factor and award the guys who fit what BB is supposed to be.

really? You were fine when dorian won in 1994, 1996/7? With one small bicep, a WIDE waist and gut, etc?

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2007, 01:35:13 PM »
really? You were fine when dorian won in 1994, 1996/7? With one small bicep, a WIDE waist and gut, etc?

I never said that and even if I was it's only one guy.  You still had wheeler, levrone, Ray all those guys represented what I consider BB.  I did not think Dorian should have won in 94-no way, no how.  I think the sport would have been alot better off had Shawn won or even Kevin.  Same with 96, I honestly don't remember 97 very well to tell you the truth so I can't say.  I was ALL for Ronnie winning in 98 but I have not really liked his physique for a long time now, he's everything he used to be againts.  Go back and read some of his quotes. 

I think it's funny when I look at pics of Gaspari and he looks more "classical" than most of the top guys at the O and he used to get totally marked down for being "boxey" :-X :-X :-X
nasser=piece of shit

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2007, 01:39:14 PM »
Sami The Blacksmith!!

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2007, 01:42:47 PM »
Not to hunk my own horn but... yeah I think I am the best.  8)
just push some weight!

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2007, 01:48:55 PM »

shit, yeah i'm sorry alexxx!!!!!

For sure, you beat Ronnie after 2000 in every way!!

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2007, 01:49:07 PM »

2nd best there big guy ;)
nasser=piece of shit

andydude00

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2007, 12:24:43 AM »
Is it just me or did Padilla get DP'ed by Franco and the Weiders at that Olympia.