Author Topic: The real answer to how much fish oil  (Read 5535 times)

dan_123

• Getbig II
The real answer to how much fish oil
« on: April 26, 2007, 04:33:48 PM »
Everyone....this is a subject that has been discussed tooooo much without comming to a real answer...

1. how many fish oil pills shoul one take in a day (i am ofcourse talking about the 1000mg pills ?

2. when to take them?

please everyone give your best answer... and stay on subject..... :) thanks

ps. my own answer is 2 pills anytime during the day, just before woorkout

Dr. D

• Getbig III
  • Vince and Derek: Match made in GetBig Heaven!
Re: The real answer to how much fish oil
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 07:19:39 PM »
Everyone....this is a subject that has been discussed tooooo much without comming to a real answer...

1. how many fish oil pills shoul one take in a day (i am ofcourse talking about the 1000mg pills ?

2. when to take them?

please everyone give your best answer... and stay on subject..... :) thanks

ps. my own answer is 2 pills anytime during the day, just before woorkout

There is no correct answers. Everybody has different needs at different times of the day. I wouldn't take pills anyway but hey, too each his own!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 10:32:51 PM »

1. how many fish oil pills shoul one take in a day (i am ofcourse talking about the 1000mg pills ?  Depends.  Avg. 3-6

2. when to take them?  Whenever - doesn't matter

:

dan_123

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 08:08:05 AM »
thanks... i thought it would be like more than 2, its just that some people say you can have too many of them and then get some kind of poisening.......but that just didn't make sence to me because i cant really see how you can eat too much fish :)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 08:34:47 AM »
Some of the literature suggests that dosages up to 10g may be beneficial for certain applications.  I'm 6-9g per day, 3 g per dose, at least 4 hours in between.  I add the additional 3g if my fat intake looks like it's going to be too low for the day, which happens often (at least 20% of my calories comre from fat)

See http://www.supplementwatch.com/suplib/supplement.asp?DocId=1119

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 07:39:12 PM »
thanks... i thought it would be like more than 2, its just that some people say you can have too many of them and then get some kind of poisoning.......but that just didn't make seance to me because i cant really see how you can eat too much fish :)

A high quality fish oil should be 'free' of mercury, PCBs and other contaminants.  It will be indicated on the label.

Some of the literature suggests that dosages up to 10g may be beneficial for certain applications.  I'm 6-9g per day, 3 g per dose, at least 4 hours in between.  I add the additional 3g if my fat intake looks like it's going to be too low for the day, which happens often (at least 20% of my calories comer from fat)

See http://www.supplementwatch.com/suplib/supplement.asp?DocId=1119

Same here, I split the doses and add more if dietary fat is down for the day.
:

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 10:08:02 AM »
dunno. i drink mine straight from the bottle. a 150ml bottle last a few weeks
Z

250Ben250

• Getbig III
  • skinman approved.
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 11:08:33 AM »
1.  I take a concentrated type from Vitamin Shoppe that is still 1 gram total per pill, but 500 mg total of DHA/EPA. I take 4 of these a day usually, 6 if I have any tendonitis issues - that gives me 2-3 grams of the DHA/EPA fats.

**I think its good to specify the EPA/DHA content because I have always read the recommendations based on the EFA content, not the total "fish oil" content per pill/cap. Most brands are 300mg of the EPA/DHA per 1 gram capsule.

2. I take two in the morning and two before bed, with food, when I take 6 a day I'll take another two with my mid-day meal.

migizi

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 06:26:45 AM »
I just got 2 bottles from vital choice seafoods,,,,called sockeye salmon oil caps, they are also encased in a fish gelatin capsule unlike alot of animal gelatin, but yeah, when I burp, like I just ate 3 whole salmon,

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
Fish Oil..how much
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 11:05:42 AM »
I am going to start taking fish oil, I am 225 lbs, work out at lunch time....how much should I take and when is the best time to take it..thanks in advance
gotta love life

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 12:05:31 PM »
thanks... i thought it would be like more than 2, its just that some people say you can have too many of them and then get some kind of poisening.......but that just didn't make sence to me because i cant really see how you can eat too much fish :)

the poisoining happens with cod liver oil which people sometimes mistake as fish body oil. Cod liver oil contains mass amounts of Vitamin A which can be toxic in certian amounts.
gotta love life

Dr. D

• Getbig III
Re: Fish Oil..how much
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 12:16:51 PM »
There is no set rules or amount. Everyone has different needs through the day. Just take it when you can with your meals.

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 12:17:42 PM »
the poisoining happens with cod liver oil which people sometimes mistake as fish body oil. Cod liver oil contains mass amounts of Vitamin A which can be toxic in certian amounts.

::) ::) ::) ::)

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 12:22:49 PM »

I believe you'd need quite a bit of Cod Liver Oil to even approach toxic ammounts of vitamin A.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 01:06:48 PM »

::) ::) ::) ::)

Fish oil is short for "fish body oil". It is not the same thing as "cod liver oil". Cod liver oil contains high concentrations of vitamin A. Taking cod liver oil in the same amounts that are recommended for fish oil can be toxic, and even more so in people who have chronic renal failure (because vitamin A can build up to toxic levels).

http://www.igan.ca/id67.htm
gotta love life

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 01:10:32 PM »
Fish oil is short for "fish body oil". It is not the same thing as "cod liver oil". Cod liver oil contains high concentrations of vitamin A. Taking cod liver oil in the same amounts that are recommended for fish oil can be toxic, and even more so in people who have chronic renal failure (because vitamin A can build up to toxic levels).

http://www.igan.ca/id67.htm

yeah, ok doc!

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 01:15:53 PM »
with any luck you will load up on it
gotta love life

El Guapo

• Getbig III
  • Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 02:33:45 PM »
yeah, ok doc!

hey Dr. D or princess what brands do you recommend? I have been using NOW brand but read the quality might be in question.

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 02:57:02 PM »
hey Dr. D or princess what brands do you recommend? I have been using NOW brand but read the quality might be in question.

I prefer Carlson's because it is Mercury free. I highly suggest getting Krill Oil but it's expensive.

El Guapo

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 06:58:46 PM »
I prefer Carlson's because it is Mercury free. I highly suggest getting Krill Oil but it's expensive.

Thanks Dr. D. One more question if you dont mind.... do you recommend multi vitamins? if so is there anything specific I should look for in them? Do you recommend extra supplementation of the major vitamins such as C, E, etc?

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2007, 07:02:11 PM »
Thanks Dr. D. One more question if you dont mind.... do you recommend multi vitamins? if so is there anything specific I should look for in them? Do you recommend extra supplementation of the major vitamins such as C, E, etc?

In 3 words!!

No!

El Guapo

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2007, 07:15:08 PM »
In 3 words!!

No!

lol..thank you much!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2007, 08:54:12 PM »

Where?

Several years ago I did extensive research on various brands and NOW was a good and safe brand, not their MAX EPA, but the Omega 3 fish oil concentrate.  Every batch can test out differently though, depending on the time of year the fish are caught, the waters, etc.
:

El Guapo

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2007, 09:08:57 PM »
Where?

Several years ago I did extensive research on various brands and NOW was a good and safe brand, not their MAX EPA, but the Omega 3 fish oil concentrate.  Every batch can test out differently though, depending on the time of year the fish are caught, the waters, etc.

I forget the name but its that online supplement review site, you know the one you have to pay to join. Name escapes me at the moment. Anyway it said the product was incomplete I think.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2007, 09:33:45 PM »
I forget the name but its that online supplement review site, you know the one you have to pay to join. Name escapes me at the moment. Anyway it said the product was incomplete I think.

Consumer Labs?
: