Author Topic: In a hurry? Try SuperSlow  (Read 1816 times)

Mike

• Getbig IV
In a hurry? Try SuperSlow
« on: April 27, 2007, 04:19:23 AM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/lifestyle/living/chi-0704170209apr19,1,7578048.story?coll=chi-living-hed

I get the idea of "time under tension" but is this shit for real.  People have whole gyms devoted to this.  It sounds good from a business aspect seeing as how the general population is always looking for the latest craze but come on.

A quick quote from the article:

"Aquaintances attest to rock-hard muscles and great tone in a hurry.  I even started to see some toning after my first sessions"

Someone email her and tell her that her "tone" was acheived by not eating as many polish sausages last week.  Monica Eng meng@tribune.com

Naked4Jesus

• Getbig IV
  • You can save a IFBB Pro today by donating a kidney
Re: In a hurry? Try SuperSlow
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 04:54:12 AM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/lifestyle/living/chi-0704170209apr19,1,7578048.story?coll=chi-living-hed

I get the idea of "time under tension" but is this shit for real.  People have whole gyms devoted to this.  It sounds good from a business aspect seeing as how the general population is always looking for the latest craze but come on.

A quick quote from the article:

"Aquaintances attest to rock-hard muscles and great tone in a hurry.  I even started to see some toning after my first sessions"

Someone email her and tell her that her "tone" was acheived by not eating as many polish sausages last week.  Monica Eng meng@tribune.com

Wasn't yoga proven to be the most effective overall, no wait it was pilates, um no it's Kickboxing, hey wait a minute wasn't Cher's workout voted the best total body workout?   My point is it's just one of many fads to lure people into emptying their wallets with the promise of maximum results with minimum effort.   How many current pros have successfully used "superslow" reps to get huge?  Not one... That's kind of strange considering that it's the most effective way to build muscle.  What gives?

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 05:01:49 AM »
* Yawn * ... just another fad. I'll stick with what works ... Old School training ( well, at least for me ... I can't speak for all of you  :P ). A nice beautiful mix of Bodybuilding and Powerlifting exercises. Yup.

fearANDloathing

• Getbig III
  • Deep in The Plak Tow. Don't Fuck with me!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 11:19:21 AM »
Wasn't yoga proven to be the most effective overall, no wait it was pilates, um no it's Kickboxing, hey wait a minute wasn't Cher's workout voted the best total body workout?   My point is it's just one of many fads to lure people into emptying their wallets with the promise of maximum results with minimum effort.   How many current pros have successfully used "superslow" reps to get huge?  Not one... That's kind of strange considering that it's the most effective way to build muscle.  What gives?

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 02:12:28 PM »
I experimented with super-slow routines back in 2002 and got very good results by performing super-slow chins on the assisted chin machine.   The development of my back improved 100% in just a few months. 

benjamin pearson

• Getbig IV
  • Dan18 has a huge forehead
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 02:15:28 PM »
I experimented with super-slow routines back in 2002 and got very good results by performing super-slow chins on the assisted chin machine.   The development of my back improved 100% in just a few months. 

::) sure it did

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 02:15:54 PM »

so you have continued with it to this day right?

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

Jujoshu

• Getbig III
  • Front Row Tickets
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 02:18:31 PM »
The idea of Superslow is more than just a fad. The movement itself seems to be the public's reaction to a faster is better mentality. People find when they slow down they get more out of life and don't feel as stressed. This idea seems to have started originally in Italy with the Slow Food movement. Now, it appears it has spread into the exercise realm as well. I've heard of some people achieving good results, but it definitely does seem a bit odd. From what I've read the workouts only last about 20 mins and the clients aren't even sweating by the time they're finished. I'm all for whatever works-be it slow workouts, high volume, whatever.

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 02:26:53 PM »
Well i could complete an absolute killer of a routine in 10 mins using HIT, so this is just another one of hundreds of ways of training nad it sound like a shit one at that.

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

ThaRealist

• Getbig IV
  • Team REal LiFe
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 02:29:34 PM »
I first learned how to train people in "superslow" a few years ago while I was working in the Orlando area...It is a pretty effective way to train people in a short amount of time...I still incorporate parts of the superslow method in my workouts.....Basically the way this training style works is not focusing on reps or sets, but on the amount of time and focus during each individual exercise....It can really kick your ass if you have someone training with you timing you and reminding you to totally focus on controlling your breathing....
You Can't Do It!!!

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 02:39:05 PM »
still incorporate parts of the superslow method in my workouts

This is fine, just an extra training style for people to use to vary up their workouts or a new challenge to their training clients.

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 02:51:11 PM »
so you have continued with it to this day right?

ta ta

Actually, no.  The routine worked very well, but only for a brief period of time.  After about 12 weeks of doing super-slow chins the results plateaued and I did not get any stronger or any muscular.   I tried doing super-slow for other body parts and got somewhat ok results with hamstrings using super-slow lying leg curls, but the other exercises in which I tried super-slow I only got a bit stronger, but noticed very little to no improvement muscle-wise.   One of the things I was most pleased with was that I was able to increase the number of reps I did doing normal bodyweight chins.  At a bodyweight of 215lbs, I used to be able to do only about 8 pullups with full range of motion.  After doing the super-slow chins my bodyweight chin went up 4 full reps, which wasn't bad for an experienced lifter with only 12 weeks of superslow.  A 50% increase in reps!   

I never rely on a single exercise, or routine for longer then a couple months before I change things up.  My body just adapts to different exercises and routines too quickly, so I'm constantly evaluating new ways to encourage new muscle growth.  Super-slow was something that worked BRIEFLY, then that was that.  I'm just pointing out that during the brief time I experimented with super-slow (specifically, chin-ups)  I did get very good results.  The routine was 10 seconds positive.. pause... 10 seconds negative.  Each rep is 20 full seconds, with about 6-8 reps per set.  Very grueling.

ThaRealist

• Getbig IV
  • Team REal LiFe
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 05:04:21 AM »

Actually, no.  The routine worked very well, but only for a brief period of time.  After about 12 weeks of doing super-slow chins the results plateaued and I did not get any stronger or any muscular.   I tried doing super-slow for other body parts and got somewhat ok results with hamstrings using super-slow lying leg curls, but the other exercises in which I tried super-slow I only got a bit stronger, but noticed very little to no improvement muscle-wise.   One of the things I was most pleased with was that I was able to increase the number of reps I did doing normal bodyweight chins.  At a bodyweight of 215lbs, I used to be able to do only about 8 pullups with full range of motion.  After doing the super-slow chins my bodyweight chin went up 4 full reps, which wasn't bad for an experienced lifter with only 12 weeks of superslow.  A 50% increase in reps!   

I never rely on a single exercise, or routine for longer then a couple months before I change things up.  My body just adapts to different exercises and routines too quickly, so I'm constantly evaluating new ways to encourage new muscle growth.  Super-slow was something that worked BRIEFLY, then that was that.  I'm just pointing out that during the brief time I experimented with super-slow (specifically, chin-ups)  I did get very good results.  The routine was 10 seconds positive.. pause... 10 seconds negative.  Each rep is 20 full seconds, with about 6-8 reps per set.  Very grueling.

It sounds to me like you trained in the modified version of superslow...The real superslow workout doesn't focus on reps at all and is a little more intense than the one your describing....But the one you are describing is what most people are using now as superslow...
You Can't Do It!!!

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 05:42:00 AM »
its bad cos they educate this in PT certificate training these days

time under tension, to a degree is not the golden rule lol