Author Topic: World's smallest dog  (Read 1715 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
World's smallest dog
« on: April 27, 2007, 10:03:55 AM »
Video:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orl-html-dogvideo042707,0,368946.htmlstory?coll=orl-news-headlines

LEESBURG -- Meet tiny Dancer, a rust-colored, long-haired Chihuahua that may just be the world's smallest dog, weighing 18 ounces and standing not much more than 4 inches tall.

Dancer's owner, Jenny Gomes, said the diminutive Lake County canine may be on his way to being named the world's smallest living dog by Guinness World Records.

Born June 8, Dancer can't officially claim the title until he is 1 year old.

"Then we're planning to throw him a birthday party, measure him officially and get him into the Guinness records as the smallest-living dog," Gomes said.

She said a shorter candidate could emerge but that's unlikely.

Guinness officials require height to be measured up to the animal's shoulders. A Largo Chihuahua is the smallest in terms of length, at 6 inches.

A neighbor of Gomes, who lives in Okahumpka, abandoned a female Chihuahua a year ago. Emaciated and near death when found, the dog was pregnant.

"We rescued her, and two weeks later she gave birth," Gomes said.

The first puppy was a normal-sized female.

"But about two hours later came Dancer," Gomes said. "He was about a quarter the size of his sister. He was about as big as my thumb."

His sister was adopted, but Gomes kept Dancer and his mother.

Veterinarians suggested Dancer be euthanized because he was likely to have serious health issues as he grew older. Gomes didn't expect the tiny dog to make it either, but she wanted to give him a chance

Cathy Griggs, Gomes' friend, said she first saw Dancer at the half-year mark.

"If I hadn't known better, I would have assumed he was a puppy," she said.

Those who know Dancer say he doesn't have the typical Chihuahua personality.

"He's a ham. He loves people," Gomes said.

She carries him wrapped in a small blanket or pushes him in a baby stroller. At home, he stays in a small playpen. He is always at risk from larger animals.

"His mother is the only one I let near him. She's very protective," Gomes said.

He is so fragile, a fall from a chair or table could be fatal.

Dancer eats every three or four hours because of his size. His only health problem is low blood sugar.

Gomes said a man in the veterinarian's office offered her $5,000 for Dancer when he found out the dog was an adult.

Gomes refused: "No way. You don't sell love."

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
Re: World's smallest dog
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 12:50:34 PM »
That's not a dog.

That's a hamster with a tail.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
Re: World's smallest dog