Author Topic: Interesting facts about p=Pat Tillman.  (Read 5282 times)

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
Re: Interesting facts about p=Pat Tillman.
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2007, 03:53:51 AM »

hey..all i am saying is that guys do it everyday and they don't get any of the same recognition pat tillman did...he joined up just like everyone else...and died like all the other 3500 who died and don't get one ounce of ink about their deaths.  fame, fortune, adulation or not...

i can't fault a player for playing for all the money they can get..owners make millions and millions..why shouldn't the guys who put the asses in the seats?

joe blow signing up and fighting is just as great hero and of great character....just because he played pro football it doesn't make it any more patriotic than anyone else signing up...

besides..this is such a tired subject..if the supposedly so smart pat tillman or his family thought he'd be treated any differently than the rest of the men and women who serve then he was and his family is pretty damn naive and need to learn a little about life in the military...they don't give flying fuck who you are. 

his family wants the truth...they got it..he was fragged..end of story---

How many of those guys walk away from a starting position in the NFL making more than a million dollars a year? As soon as you point out a few other people that have done it then you can marginalize what he did. I won't hold my breath waiting.

One of the things you seem to be missing is that Tillman made sacrifices that the overwhelming majority of us would not have made. That's why it's difficult to compare him to anyone else that decided to fight in the war. Those other people made sacrifices as well, to varying degrees but nothing I've read or heard so far even remotely compares to the sacrifices Tillman made.

You're right that he is no more a hero than any other man/woman that saw what happened on 9/11 and decided to fight for their country though. 

You seem to have a real issue with Tillman, perhaps it's resentment perhaps it's jealousy either way it's somewhat sad to witness. He walked away from a career doing what every red blooded male in the US would give his left nut to do and he fought for his country, for something he believed in. To most of us those actions represent the actions of a hero no matter how much you or anyone else wants to dispute it.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2007, 03:43:08 AM »
Something else that should be kept in mind is that he was thrust into the spotlight as a real American hero, ...the epitome of what a patriotic American is all about', ...therefore it stands to reason, that there might be some pretty upset people if this iconic figure started speaking his mind or saying he felt the war was illegal. Plenty of people do that, ...but not all of them were first made the posterboy for military recruitment.

Ask yourself...

...who's agenda stood to benefit by Tillman's death, ...who's agenda stood to lose alot were he to survive?
w

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2007, 08:10:41 AM »
How many of those guys walk away from a starting position in the NFL making more than a million dollars a year? As soon as you point out a few other people that have done it then you can marginalize what he did. I won't hold my breath waiting.

One of the things you seem to be missing is that Tillman made sacrifices that the overwhelming majority of us would not have made. That's why it's difficult to compare him to anyone else that decided to fight in the war. Those other people made sacrifices as well, to varying degrees but nothing I've read or heard so far even remotely compares to the sacrifices Tillman made.

You're right that he is no more a hero than any other man/woman that saw what happened on 9/11 and decided to fight for their country though. 

You seem to have a real issue with Tillman, perhaps it's resentment perhaps it's jealousy either way it's somewhat sad to witness. He walked away from a career doing what every red blooded male in the US would give his left nut to do and he fought for his country, for something he believed in. To most of us those actions represent the actions of a hero no matter how much you or anyone else wants to dispute it.

sad to witness what? the truth? that he really isn't all what he was made out to be? just another guy that signed up like anyone else. you keep bringing up the fame and fortune stuff but i'd say that about anyone who was made up to be better than the next guy who was sitting in the foxhole next to him.  having been in the military myself--this overexposure and sensationalizing doesn't fly with the people already serving and already dying. 

there were two guys who won medal of honors in somalia and no one could care less about what they did--did they get front page news?  but pat tillman is front page news? a marine jumped on a grenade in iraq and saved fellow marines and he won the medal of honor--anyone know his name without having to google it? how about the combat engineer that won the medal of honor during the initial invasion of iraq? anyone know HIS name without having to google that too!? What? Just because they didn't sacrifice a career in the NFL then them serving and dying doesn't amount to what Pat Tillman did? Using your rationale that is exactly what you are saying--if you have a football career ladies and gentlemen--your sacrifice is so  much more greater than the guy who was digging ditches for a living or working in a wal-mart...failing to realize that the guy who dug ditches has sacrificed just as much as pat tillman---his or her LIFE...which supercedes money and fame and adulation anytime.  pay your homage to the guy but don't put the guy on a pedestal. 
From everything that i've read about the guy he'd probably agree with what i'm saying..from day one he didn't seek any special treatment or ask to featured on every tv show and espn feature---you place him above the rest of the military men because he was a football player which strikes me as pretty damn foolish.

i liked the guy as a player...he did more with less..but to portray him as some audie murphy-like hero is a bit much...lots of guys have done much much more in this war than he did and have received none of the publicity as he has.
footloose and fancy free

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2007, 09:00:18 AM »
What they did with Tillman is typical of how the system works. They did it with Lynch. She was, to be honest, in the wrong place at the wrong time. Her CDR was an idiot who got them lost. She never fired her weapon. She got capture, raped and eventually rescued. They made her a hero. By that logic, if I survive a car crash, I'm a hero. We, in the Army didn't make her a hero. The Washington spin factory made her a hero. The spin factory that was in place well before Bush. The same folks who worked for Clinton and trumpted up Bosnia did the same for this incident. They are a permanent fixture in DC. They feed off the power. It never changes with the administration. There were plenty of guys in the Army who thought that what happened was a bad idea. Instead of waiting for the whole story to come out, they jumped the gun and said Tillman was a hero and will be awared an medal. By the time the real after action report was out and the cause of his death known, it was way to late. This happens every day. I was told never believe the first report because its so often wrong. The media was so hungry for answers, they would not wait for the truth. The spin doctors fed them and we got what we got. For my part, I blame the Army for not telling Washington to screw off until they had all the facts. I understand they were under alot of pressure, but after Lynch, they should have known to make the right call.
L

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2007, 09:10:08 AM »
a buddy of mine in the AF writes up citations for the military personnel awarded them..he said those things are so embellished he can't stop from laughing at some of the stuff he writes...it's rotten that he died..even worse if he was fragged...but like you said..after lynch i can't get all wrapped up in his hype---
footloose and fancy free

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2007, 09:17:41 AM »
Yeah...the stuff they say is kinda nuts, but alot of guys, Like Shugart and Gordon deserved their awards. I wish he could just rest in peace and that both sides, especially the Dems, could leave it alone. He was hijacked by Bush, now he's being hijacked by the Dems.
L

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2007, 10:32:47 AM »

sad to witness what? the truth? that he really isn't all what he was made out to be? just another guy that signed up like anyone else. you keep bringing up the fame and fortune stuff but i'd say that about anyone who was made up to be better than the next guy who was sitting in the foxhole next to him.  having been in the military myself--this overexposure and sensationalizing doesn't fly with the people already serving and already dying. 

there were two guys who won medal of honors in somalia and no one could care less about what they did--did they get front page news?  but pat tillman is front page news? a marine jumped on a grenade in iraq and saved fellow marines and he won the medal of honor--anyone know his name without having to google it? how about the combat engineer that won the medal of honor during the initial invasion of iraq? anyone know HIS name without having to google that too!? What? Just because they didn't sacrifice a career in the NFL then them serving and dying doesn't amount to what Pat Tillman did? Using your rationale that is exactly what you are saying--if you have a football career ladies and gentlemen--your sacrifice is so  much more greater than the guy who was digging ditches for a living or working in a wal-mart...failing to realize that the guy who dug ditches has sacrificed just as much as pat tillman---his or her LIFE...which supercedes money and fame and adulation anytime.  pay your homage to the guy but don't put the guy on a pedestal. 
From everything that i've read about the guy he'd probably agree with what i'm saying..from day one he didn't seek any special treatment or ask to featured on every tv show and espn feature---you place him above the rest of the military men because he was a football player which strikes me as pretty damn foolish.

i liked the guy as a player...he did more with less..but to portray him as some audie murphy-like hero is a bit much...lots of guys have done much much more in this war than he did and have received none of the publicity as he has.

You still aren't getting it. As I said, Tillman is no more a hero than anyone else that was moved by the action of 9/11 and decided to fight for his country.
The difference is that none of those other people made the lifestyle sacrifice that Tillman made. Why is this so difficult for you to comprehend?

You're scenario of the guy digging the ditch only further proves my point. The ditch digger made no real lifestyle sacrifice to fight for his country, he made a sacrifice to be sure and I am not denigrating him but he clearly didn't give up the same lifestyle that Tillman did. That's why the story of Tillman is so interesting.

Who else walked away from what he did to fight for his country? Can you name one other person that made a similar sacrifice after 9/11?

First you post this.
if the supposedly so smart pat tillman or his family thought he'd be treated any differently than the rest of the men and women who serve then he was and his family is pretty damn naive and need to learn a little about life in the military...they don't give flying fuck who you are. 

his family wants the truth...they got it..he was fragged..end of story---

And now you post this.

Did you have a change of heart? And what's up with the "supposedly so smart" quip? The guy was intelligent yet you act like that's a negative. As I said, clearly you have an issue with Tillman.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2007, 10:58:20 AM »
Why does making more of a lifestyle sacrifice make you more of a hero? Is it the other guy's faults they weren't blessed with Tillman's genetics and ability to play football at a high level? Sounds pretty stupid.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2007, 11:02:34 AM »
You still aren't getting it. As I said, Tillman is no more a hero than anyone else that was moved by the action of 9/11 and decided to fight for his country.
The difference is that none of those other people made the lifestyle sacrifice that Tillman made. Why is this so difficult for you to comprehend?

You're scenario of the guy digging the ditch only further proves my point. The ditch digger made no real lifestyle sacrifice to fight for his country, he made a sacrifice to be sure and I am not denigrating him but he clearly didn't give up the same lifestyle that Tillman did. That's why the story of Tillman is so interesting.

Who else walked away from what he did to fight for his country? Can you name one other person that made a similar sacrifice after 9/11?

First you post this.
And now you post this.
Did you have a change of heart? And what's up with the "supposedly so smart" quip? The guy was intelligent yet you act like that's a negative. As I said, clearly you have an issue with Tillman.

You're scenario of the guy digging the ditch only further proves my point. The ditch digger made no real lifestyle sacrifice to fight for his country, he made a sacrifice to be sure and I am not denigrating him but he clearly didn't give up the same lifestyle that Tillman did. That's why the story of Tillman is so interesting

I guess if he dies...it's no big deal because he didn't give much up..just life...but according to you pat tillman's life is so much more valuable because he plays football...that's your point.
footloose and fancy free

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2007, 11:05:51 AM »

First you post this.
And now you post this.

nope..no change of heart at all...as a football player he was a good player..as a soldier he's just like everyone else..no more, no less--there are a lot of intelligent people out in the world..so he read chomsky---i guess that's just another quality that makes his life more important or valued along with being a great athlete.
footloose and fancy free

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2007, 11:19:35 AM »
As I said, clearly you have an issue with Tillman.

issue with tillman...not at all...i didn't even know the guy.
issue with the way he's portrayed...sure...as i have said endlessly in this post..he signed up and fought just like thousands of other men before and after him....just because you give up a good career doesn't make you any better than the others.  i just am not into nominating the guy for patriot of the millenium.
footloose and fancy free

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2007, 12:29:28 PM »
I guess if he dies...it's no big deal because he didn't give much up..just life...but according to you pat tillman's life is so much more valuable because he plays football...that's your point.

nope..no change of heart at all...as a football player he was a good player..as a soldier he's just like everyone else..no more, no less--there are a lot of intelligent people out in the world..so he read chomsky---i guess that's just another quality that makes his life more important or valued along with being a great athlete.

issue with tillman...not at all...i didn't even know the guy.
issue with the way he's portrayed...sure...as i have said endlessly in this post..he signed up and fought just like thousands of other men before and after him....just because you give up a good career doesn't make you any better than the others.  i just am not into nominating the guy for patriot of the millenium.

I don't know how many more times I can say it before you comprehend what I'm saying.

TILLMAN IS NO MORE A HERO THAN ANYONE ELSE THAT FOUGHT FOR HIS COUNTRY.  That means in my eyes the ditch digger that died for his country is every bit the hero that Tillman is. Get it?

My only point is that Tillman made a greater lifestyle sacrifice than nearly anyone else did. That's not debatable, it's fact.

Again, that doesn't make him anymore of a hero than anyone else that fought for his country. It does however make him unique given that nearly no one else has done the same.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2007, 03:22:27 PM »
bowe left boxing to join the marines

LOL, good point. Of course it was nothing but a publicity stunt and he quit after three days of basic training.

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2007, 07:20:52 PM »
Okaaay.  So some story alleges that someone heard that Tillman was going to set up a meeting with Chomsky.  I guess you could call those "facts." 

A legit fact is Tillman couldn't have voted for Kerry in November, because he was dead when Kerry lost the election.  That's what I was talking about.  And I bet if I cared enough to check into it I'd probably find that he and his family were not atheists (but I don't care).     

As if being "Athiest" is anything to be ashamed of.  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2007, 08:50:20 PM »
As if being "Athiest" is anything to be ashamed of.  ::)

Never said it was. 

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2007, 05:10:27 AM »
you wanted an example: here goes..good enough or no? it wasn't millions or fame or adulation he gave up.

Tom Cotton is another soldier who knew what he was doing. When 9/11
occurred, Cotton was in his third year at Harvard Law School. Like most
Americans, he was "shocked, saddened, and angered." Like many on that
day, he made a promise to serve his country.

And Cotton meant it. After fulfilling the commitments he had already
made, including clerking for a federal judge and going to work for a
large Washington law firm, Cotton enlisted in the Army. He jokes that
doing so came with a healthy six-figure pay cut.

Cotton enlisted for one reason: He wanted to lead men into combat. His
recruiter suggested that he use the talents he had spent seven years
developing at Harvard and join the JAG Corps, the Armed Forces' law firm.
Cotton rejected that idea. He instead began 15 months of training that
culminated with his deployment to Iraq as a 2nd lieutenant platoon leader
with the 101st Airborne in Baghdad.

The platoon he led was composed of men who had already been in Baghdad
for five months. Cotton knew that a new platoon leader normally undergoes
a period of testing from his men. Because his platoon was patrolling
"outside the wire" every day, there was no time for Cotton and his men to
have such a spell. He credits what turned out to be a smooth transition
to his platoon's noncommissioned officers, saying, "The troops really
belong to the NCOs." After six months, Cotton and his platoon redeployed
stateside.

While in Iraq, Cotton's platoon was awarded two Purple Hearts, but
suffered no killed in action. His larger unit, however, did suffer a KIA.
When I asked Cotton for his feelings about that soldier's death, the pain
in his voice was evident. After searching for words, he described it as
"sad, frustrating, angry--very hard, very hard on the entire company."

He then added some thoughts. "As painful as it was, the death didn't hurt
morale," he said. "That's something that would have surprised me before I
joined the Army. Everyone in the Infantry has volunteered twice--once for
the Army, once for the Infantry. These are all grown men who all made the
decision to face the enemy on his turf. The least you can do is respect
them and what they're doing."

Now serving in the Army in Virginia, still enjoying his six-figure pay
cut, Tom Cotton says he is "infinitely happy" that he joined the Army and
fought in Iraq. "If I hadn't done it," he says, "I would have regretted
it the rest of my life."

footloose and fancy free

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2007, 05:21:36 AM »
Want another example...here's another..

http://www.paulrieckhoff.com/content/author.asp

rieckhoff left a job at goldman sachs--granted he was already a reservist..but 4 days before september 11 he quit and went active duty...i'm sure he wasn't making 18k a year working on wall street.
footloose and fancy free

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2007, 05:46:10 AM »
bowe left boxing to join the marines

And lasted ONE DAY!
The House that Ruth built

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2007, 10:02:03 AM »
Want another example...here's another..

http://www.paulrieckhoff.com/content/author.asp

rieckhoff left a job at goldman sachs--granted he was already a reservist..but 4 days before september 11 he quit and went active duty...i'm sure he wasn't making 18k a year working on wall street.

Good examples although not completely analogous especially Rieckoff who was in the reserves. Good examples all the same though. I'm curious if any other starting professional athlete in the MLB, NBA, NFL or NHL did what Tillman did, that would be the perfect example.