Author Topic: She can't bring same-sex date to Catholic high school prom  (Read 5201 times)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Re: She can't bring same-sex date to Catholic high school prom
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2007, 11:20:05 PM »
Nope.  Catholic schools are funded by tuition and donations.  BTW, a CATHOLIC school is not going to allow gay/bisexual interaction.  Deal with it.
I don't know if the girl is gay, nor do I give a hoot, but how on earth is a prom defined as a 'sexual activity'??

This superintendent is obviously an idiot.  Maybe they wouldn't have so many problems if they'd wake up and realize that they're in the 21st century.

If they're defining prom as a 'sexual activity', then the problems are in the school's philosophy. 

It's a rule and parents are aware of the rules.  There is a student handbook explaining these things as well as the fact that it is understood what the Church's stance is on gay relationships.  Not even close to political dude.  Being gay does not exclude her from the school but committing the act is not affirmed by the Church.

I'm not saying the school is "right", but let's face it... It's a "private", "Catholic" school... Someone found out she was gay, they said, you can't have a girl as a date.

I don't agree with it, but you know what... It's not my school. It's not my rules.

I wouldn't out my kid in a school like that because I don't believe in those ideas... The reality is that to even mention this is silly.

The "private" part in the words privately funded means it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, it's what the people who are sending their kids to the school (and since it's catholic, we know how they think) think.

egj13

• Getbig III
  • Got life by the balls
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2007, 06:13:13 AM »
I love how offended all the hypocritical neotaints get at this topic. LOL

Some chick wants to bring a friend of hers to a dance, why would anyone care enough to stop her?

Bwahhahhhaaaaaa, I love uptight neotaints that want to control the way everyone else lives.

If she were at a public school I don't think anyone would disagree with you. However she attends a private religious school. This shouldn't be a suprise that they didn't allow it.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2007, 08:33:51 AM »
If she were at a public school I don't think anyone would disagree with you. However she attends a private religious school. This shouldn't be a suprise that they didn't allow it.

Ultimately I agree and you made a good point. Although I don't agree with the school allowing her to be a student but not allowing her to go to a dance. That seems hypocritical of them. The other girl was a friend, I would think two friends could go to a dance together. Did they really think she was going to engage in some kind of sexual activity with this girl on the dance floor?

egj13

• Getbig III
  • Got life by the balls
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2007, 08:42:55 AM »
Ultimately I agree and you made a good point. Although I don't agree with the school allowing her to be a student but not allowing her to go to a dance. That seems hypocritical of them. The other girl was a friend, I would think two friends could go to a dance together. Did they really think she was going to engage in some kind of sexual activity with this girl on the dance floor?

Just like the church that is affiliated with the school would let an adulterer, murderer, drug addict, rapist etc. attend church with the hope of turning that person towards god, they would allow her to attend school hoping that the influence would "straighten" her out (no pun intended!). I am sure they don't want to give the impression (friends or not) that they condone lesbianism.