Author Topic: Randy Moss to Ne for a fourth round pick  (Read 9999 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Re: Randy Moss to Ne for a fourth round pick
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
Who was the only one open-minded enough to push for this? 

By open-minded, are you referring to the hole in the Raiders' collective heads for allowing one of the most dominant receivers in the history of the game go for a 4th-round pick from a team that's GUARANTEED to be picking late in every round??

Sheesh. 

I don't care what you guys say - Moss was worth a 2nd-round pick.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2007, 12:29:53 PM »
Piss on Moss. He'll be popping off at the mouth by week 2, training camp.

Moss wasn't a problem at all in Oakland, so I would expect that to continue in New England.  The guy just wants to catch balls for a team that's interested in winning.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2007, 12:32:40 PM »
Me thinks the pats wanna squeeze a year out of Moss while Chad Jackson develops (wr pick last year) and they gear up to go shopping with all those new/extra picks in a very strong 2008 draft.

Moss has several great years left, and I agree with most of your post, but I don't see the 2008 as being very strong at all.  You mentioned previously that it will be 'deep', which is possible, but there are no real standouts at this time for '08. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2007, 12:37:02 PM »
I would not take him even for a 4th rounder. I just don't think he's worth the risk. So, he runs a sub 4.3 at 30 years old. What's the big deal? He's always been fast and he's always been known to run those 40 times. I question his heart and his will to win at this stage of his career. He's acts like a bitch nowadays and I don't really think he's matured at all. I just don't think he's personality will fit into that team's chemistry.

He epitomizes the ultimate high risk/high reward player.

Best of luck getting him to shut up and just play football. I don't think Moss cares about being mentored and I don't think he'll respond well to being held in check by those veterans. His best years statistically were while playing under the tutelage of Chris Carter. When Carter retired, Moss talked mad shit about him and yearned to become his own man. He's had a shitty attitude ever since those years.

I disagree completely with your conclusions about Moss. 

I LOVE a player who HATES losing, and that's the one thing about Moss that you just can't question.  You say he's got no heart, but man, he loves getting out there and getting those balls. 

I didn't feel that Oakland should've acquired him, but SOMEONE needed to bitch in Oakland, because it was obvious that no one else in that entire organization gave a shit about winning. 

Losers. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2007, 12:52:19 PM »
Bush easily would've been the second back taken after Peterson had he not got injured. If he's completely recovered then he will be the steal of this draft.

Guy was a monster before that injury.

Have to admit that I was surprised when I looked up and saw him selected by Oakland, but have to agree with you guys about his upside. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2007, 12:53:36 PM »
Actually body I didn't feel Moss was worth more than a 4th round pick, based on his performance the last 2 years, but this is great for Tom Brady and the Pats if Moss can regain some of his great playing abilty.

Yeah, playing for Oakland can dumb anyone's game down, that's for sure.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2007, 01:31:44 PM »
By open-minded, are you referring to the hole in the Raiders' collective heads for allowing one of the most dominant receivers in the history of the game go for a 4th-round pick from a team that's GUARANTEED to be picking late in every round??

They got what they could, already having been told he didn't want to come back and with most teams thinking inside the box & unwilling to seriously consider him, like most get biggers.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2007, 01:50:18 PM »
Yeah, playing for Oakland can dumb anyone's game down, that's for sure.

To think not too long ago "Commitment to Excellence" meant something.
The House that Ruth built

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2007, 02:49:13 PM »
To think not too long ago "Commitment to Excellence" meant something.
About 2 decades + ago. When visiting Oakland i've seen that slogan continue to be used; now it comes across as a joke.

body88

« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2007, 03:09:49 PM »
Moss has several great years left, and I agree with most of your post, but I don't see the 2008 as being very strong at all.  You mentioned previously that it will be 'deep', which is possible, but there are no real standouts at this time for '08. 

Moss for a fourth round draft pick is a no brainer. Add in the fact Moss agreed to a one year deal and took a SIX MILLION dollar pay cut to play for 3 million bucks this season is another reason. After reading the deal I found out that he is not guaranteed a dime of his 3 mill until the first game of the season. Effectively he is on a five week trial period in camp and preseason where he can be cut at absolutely no loss. If the pats did not have a proven record of being able to take on guys with "baggage" I would not like this trade. I would be totally against it if the cost and risk was not so damn lo. The most they can lose is a late fourth round draft pick in this deal if they cut him mid season. Although I am not really a fan of Moss, I cannot see any risk in this trade. Worst comes to worse you cut his ass and are out a fourth round pick and still have a great wr corp left. NE does not need Moss, and I think he knows that.

As for the draft, I believe other then the wr position and de position it was a thin draft. I am speaking from the perspective of a team picking in the bottom end of rounds. Most the de's where not suitable for the 3/4 anyway. I am glad the pats used the number 24 pick on Meriweather (I was very high on this kid), then traded the 28th pick for a 2008 first rounder and the 4th rounder they used for Randy moss. They also netted a sixth rounder and a 2008 third round pick from Oakland.The raiders pick will def be way higher then the pats late third round pick they traded off to Oakland. Could be pretty much a late second rounder. The raiders have the hardest schedule in the NFL so I don't think its a stretch to think they might be picking top top five again in 08. I liked the Kareem Brown pick up in the fourth among other value picks on day two by the pats. The 2008 draft is going to be much deeper at positions the pats would be interested in imo. I could jus not see the pats using a extra first round pick on a guy like David Harris/Poz (both turned out to be late second rounders ) this year. Belichick has never drafted a lb higher then the fourth round do to the fact it can take years to learn the system. he tends to like vets at the mike and will position while a kid is slowley developed into the role. I think next year is going to be a much better lb crop to choose from for the 3/4. I thought maybe Staley, but they already drafted there entire o line and d line over the last 5 years. Don't need a wr with Chad Jackson projected to be ready for camp etc. I think it was a telling tale many first round players dropped in the late second or even third or fourth round. I was praying Quinn would fall to us so we could tade the pick off. A lot of teams wanted to trade down this year.

I think the move the jets made to give up there entire draft pick selection for 2 players said a lot. I figured the jets to go shopping since they have some holes to fill. I don't think they saw much value after the first round at certain positions. Same for the pats to trade there extra first rounder and 3rd rounder for 2008 picks. That puts them in the position to have a extra to pick in the first round, and a extra 3rd rounder at the top of the round from Oakland in 08.

body88

« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2007, 03:10:22 PM »
About 2 decades + ago. When visiting Oakland i've seen that slogan continue to be used; now it comes across as a joke.

" just win baby"

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2007, 03:22:18 PM »
One year deal with provisions and a Paycut is a no brainer.  Moss himself is the issue.  Moss himself has said he just wasn't trying.  This has happened in Minnesota as well.  I don't normally agree with Ravens fans/staff, but upinthemguts is right when he called Moss high risk/high reward.  Can he make a differnce, definitively YES.  Will he?  That is the main concern.  If the ship sails smoothly, he will contribute to another stacked year for the Pats.  If not, he could become a serious distraction on a team that isn't used to distractions.  Their first round pick is another questionable call by the Pats, a team usually concerned about character.  Merriweather was involved in that nasty fracas with FIU, and an off the field shooting incident.  Two telltale signs of this guy's thugish past.  I hope NE isn't becoming the Bungholes, we have seen what the win at all costs has done to that franchise. 

body88

« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2007, 03:38:49 PM »
One year deal with provisions and a Paycut is a no brainer.  Moss himself is the issue.  Moss himself has said he just wasn't trying.  This has happened in Minnesota as well.  I don't normally agree with Ravens fans/staff, but upinthemguts is right when he called Moss high risk/high reward.  Can he make a differnce, definitively YES.  Will he?  That is the main concern.  If the ship sails smoothly, he will contribute to another stacked year for the Pats.  If not, he could become a serious distraction on a team that isn't used to distractions.  Their first round pick is another questionable call by the Pats, a team usually concerned about character.  Merriweather was involved in that nasty fracas with FIU, and an off the field shooting incident.  Two telltale signs of this guy's thugish past.  I hope NE isn't becoming the Bungholes, we have seen what the win at all costs has done to that franchise. 

This is what I do not like about the media. Meriweather DOES NOT have any kind of gun charge. Meriweather was a criminology major at Miami. He was studying to be a police officer. He has a registered handgun. Someone broke into his apt and shot his roommate. Meriweather returned fire as the perp fled the scene. He was trying to protect his roommate, and his own life. The Miami dade police made it clear several times that Meriweather was acting in self defense, and did not do anything illegal. It has gotten to the point where if a person owns a legal hand gun, and uses it to protect themselves from a person who is trying to MURDER there roommate they are a thug? I love the media.

The fight incident was wrong, and a mistake. This kid has NO history of trouble with the law. The kid took full responsibility for kicking that player during that team wide brawl. Apologized and made it known he understood his actions and how stupid they where. That is a long way off from being a "thug". Richard Seymour stomped on some guys chest 2 years ago. Where is the outrage over that? Kicking someone during a team wide brawl during the heat of the moment is stupid, not a character issue.  I love how the media considers a person who owns a legal gun to have character issues.Looks like half of America has character issues, including the cops! Imagine if Joe Thomas/Brady Quinn used there legal hand gun to protect a roommate after a criminal shot them? They would be a HERO'S. The media is leaving out the details of this story to push a agenda and it is unfair. Belicheck and his staff spent ALOT of time with this kid.They put a lot of effort into screening players. Bill was on the radio today and when asked about Meriweather he said that he was 100 percent confident he was going to be a great addition to the team and no problem. He has earned the right to be taken at his word imo. All this crap is WAY over hyped. Case and point his "gun issue" Aka protecting his life with his legal handgun after someone SHOT his roommate for no reason lol.

As for Moss, it would never get to the point of a distraction. He is on a short leash. This team has had plenty of distractions. Terry Glenn taking the team hostage in 01, threatening not to play during there super bowl season. Branch telling the pats he wanted a new contract (while under contract) and refusing to play right before the season last year. Ty getting arrested on south beach. Ty Law in general. Ted Washington and his poor attitude. Corey Dillon having problems this year and becoming frustrated with his lack of carries. Brian Cox in general. Todd Sourbrauhn ( punter) getting bagged for drugs/steroids. QB controversy when Bledsoe got injured. Corey Dillon before he got here (people said all the same stuff) There have been plenty bad character guys who played for the pats, you never hear about it because they get cut.

Belichick has a very good track record of being able to evaluate guys character. The locker room structure has proven to be able to handle guys other team cannot. For the cost nad low risk of getting Moss you have to try it out. If moss screws up he gets cut . They do not need him. He wanted to play for NE. The dude signed a one year deal and taking a 6 million dollar pay cut. The deal is structured to make it possible to cut Moss at any point. He is not even guaranteed a dime of his 3 million until after the first official game. I would be against this deal if the pats did not have the ability to cut him at no loss at any point. Then again I was against the Dillon deal also.

I know, I know MELTDOWN.........