Author Topic: Need Puppy Advice....  (Read 1964 times)

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Need Puppy Advice....
« on: April 30, 2007, 12:14:50 PM »
Hey as most of you know we have a new pup... But he is sufferning very badly from seperation Anxiety. We are gonna have to leave the little guy for a while at home by himself throughout the day, but he howls and whines when we try to leave. Does anyone have any type of idea as to what we can do to help him with this. Also so he will quit crying so loudly that the neighbors wont have the cops at my house everyday.

knny187

• Getbig V
Re: Need Puppy Advice....
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 01:13:35 PM »
Hey as most of you know we have a new pup... But he is sufferning very badly from seperation Anxiety. We are gonna have to leave the little guy for a while at home by himself throughout the day, but he howls and whines when we try to leave. Does anyone have any type of idea as to what we can do to help him with this. Also so he will quit crying so loudly that the neighbors wont have the cops at my house everyday.

Very tough call.

Here's some that I & the girlfriend just used with our pup & he made good adjustments.

On a day off...throughout the day....leave him for short periods of time.  From 5-10 minutes & slowly work it up for a 1/2 hour to an hour.

This one piece of advice I think is real important....my g/f looked at me like I was nuts....take an old sweatshirt of yours (something that you wear often & don't care if it gets ruined or pee'd on) & lay it down on the floor where you have him.  We crated our pup so we had that in the bottom of the crate.  Believe it or not...he/she will lay on it....smell you...& be more comforted.  I grew up raising lab puppies & this always seemed to help a little.

On a side note...this is all perfectly normal.  I actually think it's the cutest thing hearing those little guys howl.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 04:51:27 PM »
Get DAP, Dog Appeasing Pheremones.  They are the same pheremones that are released when the mom is nursing the pups and calm down the dog(s) like you wouldn't believe.  Great stuff.

body88

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 10:06:12 PM »

Good Owners, Great dogs... By Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson. Turn to page Pg 202 for separation anxiety. I love this book,covers pretty much everything you can think off.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 10:05:52 PM »
Thanks for all the advice ill let you know how it turns out..

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 09:42:18 AM »
knny187 is right, also try leaving a radio on while your there and while your out the familar sound can relax them

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 09:48:19 AM »
knny187 is right, also try leaving a radio on while your there and while your out the familar sound can relax them

damn...I forgot about the radio....thats a good one

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 05:32:26 PM »

Get him a buddy.    8)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 06:22:03 AM »
One of those wind up alarm clocks that have a loud tick is good, sounds to the dog like his litter mates hearts.  Put it right out side the crate, as suggested put a towel that smells like you in there.  Def use a crate to house train and for the first year, make the crate a happy place for the dog, don't wanna use it as punishment.  After that the dog should be ready to be out of the crate unsupervised for the day. 

What ever you do!  Don't give into the dogs crying as a way to get out of the crate.  NEVER let it out if it wines or howls or cries!! They are manipulative little bastards dogs are and this is just the start of it trying to dominate you and get its way.  Let it know early you are the boss and it has to deal with the rules.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 09:39:36 PM »
Here's what I've heard Patricia McConnell suggest.  She's an animal behaviorist who is on public radio weekly (Calling All Pets). 

Make the event of you leaving a pleasant experience.  Start with SHORT departures giving him something WONDERFUL when you leave (like peanut butter in a Kong).  Come back in and take the Kong away.  Don't use this treat at any other time.  Start out with maybe a two minute absence, gradually increasing the time, taking the special treat away each time you come back in.  Soon he'll get to realize your leaving means something good. 

: