Author Topic: Concern over the "Hate" Crimes Act  (Read 1530 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Concern over the "Hate" Crimes Act
« on: May 01, 2007, 07:47:11 AM »
This bill muzzles ANY church that speaks out out against homosexuality, not just the black church.

Conservative Black Pastors Fight Bill on Hate Crimes
At Issue Are Sermons Against Homosexuality

By Hamil R. Harris
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, April 28, 2007; B09

A coalition of conservative African American pastors is lobbying Congress to vote against a bill that would extend federal hate-crimes laws to cover gays, saying they fear it would prevent them from preaching against homosexuality.

Several pastors last week urged House Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers Jr. (D-Mich.), a sponsor of the bill, and other members of the Congressional Black Caucus to vote against the proposed Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act.

They say it would pin the hate crime label on their sermons against homosexuality, which they consider a sin.

"This bill will offer a status for gays, lesbians and transgender people under the equal protection status that can muzzle the black church," said Bishop Harry R. Jackson Jr., pastor of Hope Christian Church in Lanham and founder of the High Impact Leader Coalition. "This law can be applied in the way that can keep the church from preaching the Gospel."

Gay activists compare the bill to civil rights legislation of the 1960s.

"This legislation is needed because gay, lesbian, bisexual individuals are not protected under the law," said Bishop Kwabena "Rainey" Cheeks, pastor of Inner Light Ministries in the District and a member of the Human Rights Coalition. "Right now, people are being fired, being attacked on the streets, and we want the same civil rights protections as others have in this country.

The Rev. Marvin Winans, a Detroit pastor and member of the Grammy Award-winning Winans family, met with Conyers on Tuesday to lobby against the bill. "This is a specific bill, no matter how well intended, that will hurt America," he said.

Among the groups opposing the bill are the Southern Baptist Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, the Family Research Council and Exodus International, a coalition of formerly gay Christians. The Unitarian Universalist Association, Integrity USA and the NAACP support the bill.

Despite the controversy, some of the most prominent pastors in the African American church are silent on the issue.

"In the church where I grew up, there wasn't a don't-ask-don't-tell policy," Winans said.

Phil Pannell, a longtime gay activist in the District, said he believes African Americans should be more understanding about discrimination toward gays.

"African Americans, more than most people, should know what it means to be a target," he said.

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
Re: Concern over the "Hate" Crimes Act
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 07:53:29 AM »
I told an African American to have a wonderful day this morning.  I'm doing my part!
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 07:54:05 AM »
I also told him to be sure to completely empty my garbage can next run.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

egj13

• Getbig III
  • Got life by the balls
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 08:00:02 AM »
I also told him to be sure to completely empty my garbage can next run.

Now that is pretty funny

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 08:03:22 AM »
haha, anyways  ;D

Churches spew hate? Does not sound very christian like...

egj13

• Getbig III
  • Got life by the balls
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 08:09:33 AM »
haha, anyways  ;D

Churches spew hate? Does not sound very christian like...

Sounds like it might violate 1st amendment rights

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 09:19:22 AM »
Sounds like it might violate 1st amendment rights

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

sure I agree with that. But they are not concerned with the consitution they have other agendas in mind

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 09:44:54 AM »
sure I agree with that. But they are not concerned with the consitution they have other agendas in mind
Such as?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 10:50:53 AM »

"This legislation is needed because gay, lesbian, bisexual individuals are not protected under the law," said Bishop Kwabena "Rainey" Cheeks, pastor of Inner Light Ministries in the District and a member of the Human Rights Coalition. "Right now, people are being fired, being attacked on the streets, and we want the same civil rights protections as others have in this country.

This is partly why this kind of legislation is dangerous.  It includes "bisexuals" as a protected class of people.  I'm not sure how you draw that line.  This is the kind of legislation that leads to defining gender to mean whatever we say it means (like we've done in Hawaii). 

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 08:09:16 PM »
people are gay - get over it

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 08:13:11 PM »
This is partly why this kind of legislation is dangerous.  It includes "bisexuals" as a protected class of people.  I'm not sure how you draw that line.  This is the kind of legislation that leads to defining gender to mean whatever we say it means (like we've done in Hawaii). 
Another slippery slope.  Identity is a slippery thing to grasp anyways and when you start including five other groups in gender and sexuality, you risk making legislation and utlitrian laws much more difficult to make.  Utilitarianism works because you simply cannot take every individual and make things perfect for them, at least not in the current world.
Squishy face retard

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 08:29:12 PM »
Another slippery slope.  Identity is a slippery thing to grasp anyways and when you start including five other groups in gender and sexuality, you risk making legislation and utlitrian laws much more difficult to make.  Utilitarianism works because you simply cannot take every individual and make things perfect for them, at least not in the current world.

Absolutely.  You then wind up with the following definition of gender (on the books in Hawaii):

"Gender identity or expression" includes a person's actual or perceived gender, as well as a person's gender identity, gender-related self-image, gender-related appearance, or gender-related expression, regardless of whether that gender identity, gender-related self-image, gender-related appearance, or gender-related expression is different from that traditionally associated with the person's sex at birth.

In other words, your gender isn't determined by your birth, it's whatever you say or think it is.   :-\

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 08:31:27 PM »
Absolutely.  You then wind up with the following definition of gender (on the books in Hawaii):

"Gender identity or expression" includes a person's actual or perceived gender, as well as a person's gender identity, gender-related self-image, gender-related appearance, or gender-related expression, regardless of whether that gender identity, gender-related self-image, gender-related appearance, or gender-related expression is different from that traditionally associated with the person's sex at birth.

In other words, your gender isn't determined by your birth, it's whatever you say or think it is.   :-\
Yeah, there have been so many cases on reestablishing gender and the courts here on the mainland have said that is what you are from birth no matter if you get it changed legally or if you consider yourself something different.  There would be so many legal battles in an already jam packed legal system.
Squishy face retard

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 08:31:46 PM »

And the problem with that is ...  ???

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 08:54:26 PM »
And the problem with that is ...  ???

Confusion. 

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2007, 09:18:46 PM »
just feel thier crotch before you go home with them

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2007, 11:10:12 PM »
 ::)