Author Topic: Brady restructured contract so Pats could trade for Moss (merged threads)  (Read 3599 times)

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
In between bouts of pounding the snot out of Giselle he was probably dreaming about airing it out to Moss. He's never had a WR remotely close to as talented as Moss is, not many QB's have. I'm guessing losing last year to the Colts is still pissing him off.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/05/01/brady_deserves_a_tip_of_the_cap/

Brady deserves a tip of the cap
He altered contract so Moss can fit in

By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff  |  May 1, 2007

Quarterback Tom Brady has yet to publicly comment on the Patriots' acquisition of receiver Randy Moss, but his actions speak volumes.

As part of the whirlwind process that brought Moss to New England, Brady provided a key assist.

Because the Patriots had to acquire the original terms of Moss's contract as part of the trade with the Raiders, the team needed to clear salary cap space to absorb the $9.75 million figure that Moss was scheduled to earn.

Enter Brady, who agreed to restructure his present contract that runs through 2010 to create the space.

That allowed the Patriots to finalize the trade for Moss, who then tore up his old contract and signed a one-year, $3 million deal that could be worth up to $5 million in incentives.

"Tom does what he can in order to win," said Don Yee, his agent.

Brady's involvement with the Moss discussions was just one of the layers to a beat-the-clock process that began when the Patriots received permission from the Raiders to speak with Moss late Saturday night after the first three rounds of the draft.

At that point, Moss still had to fly to New England to take a physical and meet with team officials, all before the second day of the draft began at 11 a.m. Sunday.

While quarterbacks and receivers often talk about being on the same page on the field, Brady's actions have helped him get off to a strong start with Moss off the field.

"I've always been a big fan of Tom Brady," Moss said Sunday. "From the time that he took over the starting job from Drew Bledsoe, I knew that was a blessing [for] Tom.

"I saw him play a little bit in college and then by him coming in and taking grasp of being the starting quarterback of the New England Patriots and winning three Super Bowls, I think that was just something that, as a fan of the game, that I always paid attention to."

The addition of Moss highlights a significant overhaul at receiver for the Patriots. After losing Deion Branch and David Givens last season, the Patriots were determined not to be put into the same situation again, and equally as determined to add big-play targets.

Now look at their choices.

The team added Moss, Donte' Stallworth, Wes Welker, and Kelley Washington. They join Reche Caldwell, Jabar Gaffney, Chad Jackson, Bam Childress, Kelvin Kight, and Jonathan Smith, all of whom were with the club at one point or another in 2006.

And, as Bill Belichick has said in the past, there is always a role for the venerable Troy Brown if he's healthy.

Any talk of the Patriots' revamped receiving corps has to start with the 6-foot-4-inch, 210-pound Moss.

"No matter how you slice it, he'll be the guy people will try to take out of the game," said Steve Sidwell, a longtime NFL defensive coordinator. "If they roll their coverage to him that way, or do some kind of a double on him, it will certainly help the other guys."

Belichick has said that Moss understands double coverage as well as any player in the league, and "he attacks all three levels of the field -- short, intermediate, deep."

Belichick also touted Moss's versatility, noting that "any time a player puts multiple pressure points on a defense, it's hard, it's stress."

But Moss isn't the only receiver who has the potential to stress a defense.

Stallworth, who had a 19.1-yard average per catch in 2006, is dangerous with his vertical speed. Meanwhile, Welker is potent out of the slot, finding openings underneath against zone coverage.

If the plan comes to life off the playbook, opposing defensive coordinators are going to have to make some tough choices, assuming those are the top three players on the field.

"The first thing that comes to mind, with all those guys, is that it's hard to double-team somebody," said Jaguars defensive line coach Ray "Sugar Bear" Hamilton, the former Patriot. "Who do you pick? And then you have a guy like Brady, who spreads the ball around. That looks like a pretty good passing attack."

Yet before the Patriots could go anywhere with Moss, they needed a crucial assist. Brady stepped up and delivered it.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Brady restructured contract so Pats could trade for Moss
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 11:12:03 AM »
Brady would never say it publicly, but the interception at the end of game and several lame drops and miscommunications with Caldwell probably sealed it. Definitely had to do something, and the mark of a good team/players, they did.

body88

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 02:23:40 PM »
Brady was willing to restructure over 3 million bucks? What a guy!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 05:08:12 PM »
Brady was willing to restructure over 3 million bucks? What a guy!

As Moss said himself, if you've already got money in the bank restructuring's practically irrelevant, might even be beneficial long-term.

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
BRADY did not take a PAY CUT
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 06:43:28 AM »
Quit sucking on Tom Brady like he did something spectacular to enable them to get Randy Moss.
He DID NOT take a pay cut, just restructured his deal.

Can't wait for Moss to not try on half the plays.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

pumpster

• Getbig V
Re: BRADY did not take a PAY CUT
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 06:48:24 AM »
Old Cock in continued brilliance can't tell the difference between a restructed contract and a pay cut. No one but Cock came up with a pay cut LOL

Unimportant, neither Brady nor Moss will suffer through any restructuring. The only real difference is current cash flow.

body88

Re: BRADY did not take a PAY CUT
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 07:25:30 AM »
Who said Brady took a pay cut? People are giving him props just like they did to Manning when he restructured his deal. Not like Brady had to do much, Randy is making like 3 million bucks this year. He only has a conditional one year deal, the patriots can walk away from him at any time. Haha the guy took a 6 million dollar pay cut to play in NE. If he takes plays of and gets cut that's his loss not ours. The pats don't need Randy Moss. If you couldn't tell he kinda wanted to play in NE. He took a 6 million dollar pay cut, and agreed to a deal that not only does not guarantee him a dime of his three million until he plays in the first game, it allows the patriots to cut him at any point during the year.

Brady took his pay cut years ago anyway. When he signed his deal he took less money then he could have gotten to ensure the other team stars could get paid to .Not like he needs the cash anyway, the guys filthy rich!

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
I can hear the announcer now:  BRADY THROWS DEEP, INTERCEPTED, MY GOSH IT LOOKED LIKE MOSS TOTALLY QUIT ON THE PLAY!
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
I can hear the announcer now:  BRADY THROWS DEEP, INTERCEPTED, MY GOSH IT LOOKED LIKE MOSS TOTALLY QUIT ON THE PLAY!

Cockie Poo you sound a little bitter. Is your arthritis acting up today or are you just one of those cranky old people?

No one said Brady made any kind of real sacrifice, just that his contract was restructured. It's an interesting side note from the signing. Pumpster said it better than I did but I think it's shows that last years loss to the Colts has been eating him up and he was more than a little interested in throwing to a world class WR. Something he's never had the pleasure of doing.

body88

Shit, the media was just as worried about Corey and Brian Cox. If moss took a six million dollar pay cut to come to NE to get benched and then cut, that would be to funny not to witness!

body88

Check out Fitzys take on Moss and the Bo Sox.... This guy is halarious.

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
Cockie Poo you sound a little bitter. Is your arthritis acting up today or are you just one of those cranky old people?

No one said Brady made any kind of real sacrifice, just that his contract was restructured. It's an interesting side note from the signing. Pumpster said it better than I did but I think it's shows that last years loss to the Colts has been eating him up and he was more than a little interested in throwing to a world class WR. Something he's never had the pleasure of doing.

It really bothers you a 49 year old man would leave you gasping for breath if you tried to train with me doesn't it?  Poor pussy.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
It really bothers you a 49 year old man would leave you gasping for breath if you tried to train with me doesn't it?  Poor pussy.

Yes, Cockie Poo your stunning workout abilities eat me up inside.

BTW, am I supposed to know something about how you lift? Is this common knowledge that I'm not privy too? And more importantly why would I care how some old, cranky and arthritic dude works out?

pumpster

• Getbig V
The difference between winners (NE) and losers (Green Bay, etc.). Most on getbig like the Green Bay approach. ;D

Favre disappointed Packers didn't get Moss

The man who quietly but persistently lobbied hard for Green Bay officials to acquire Randy Moss during the offseason is apparently unhappy that the Packers' efforts to land the veteran wide receiver via a trade with the Oakland Raiders fell short on draft weekend.

In interviews during his annual charity golf tournament in Tunica, Miss., quarterback Brett Favre acknowledged that he felt the Packers missed an opportunity to add a significant piece to their offense. Preparing for his 17th season in the league, his 16th in a Packers' uniform, Favre never publicly articulated his support for a Moss trade this spring, but the consensus was that he wanted an opportunity to play with the wide receiver.

"It is disappointing," Favre said on Saturday. "We could have gotten him for less money than New England did. He wanted to play in Green Bay for the amount of money we would have paid him. It [was] well worth the risk."

Thompson has not addressed the team's efforts. It has been speculated that the Packers declined to surrender a fourth-round choice in trade talks, and offered only a fifth-round selection. That has not, however, been substantiated.

Favre apparently spoke with Moss on several occasions before the draft. Favre's agent, Cook, was once Moss' agent as well, and still retains a lesser role representing the wide receiver in contract negotiations. That connection, though, is believed to have played no part in Favre's desire to add Moss to the Packers' passing game.

Instead, the Green Bay quarterback merely felt Moss could still add an explosive dimension to the Packers' offense.

"The last thing I want to do is start any [controversy]," Favre said. "But I think he would have been a great addition. You throw Randy Moss, you throw [current starters] Donald Driver and Greg Jennings on the field at the same time, and go three-wide receiver set ... and I think it's pretty intimidating. And we lost out on that, and I think that it's a shame, because I know we could have had him."

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Folks are just jealous....one more ring please.   ;D..Tom Brady is god
L

body88

Green bay could have gotten Randy Moss for a little less then 3 million bucks in a one year deal? They could have worked the deal so Moss is not guaranteed a dime until the start of the regular season? I love Favre, but them are some sour grapes. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Ex-Raiders coordinator rips Moss
Posted: Monday May 14, 2007 04:30AM ET
Former Raiders offensive coordinator Tom Walsh described a play in a loss to the Browns in which a play-action pass was called and Randy Moss was asked to run a square-in on the weak side. The linebacker was sucked up inside by the fake, according to Walsh, and Moss was expected to run the in-route. As Walsh recalled it, "He runs a 9 [deep go] route. "Andrew Walter makes the play-fake and a huge hole opens up for Randy in the middle of the field but he's running down the sideline. When Randy gets to the sidelines, [wide receivers coach] Freddie Biletnikoff says, 'What were you doing?' "Randy told Fred, 'I didn't feel like running the 6 route on the dirt part of the infield.' That's the Randy I coached. There were some games where out of 28 plays he'd have 13 or 14 busts. Wrong routes, wrong reads. Dogging it. Whatever."

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nfl#

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Yes yes yes......ur all jealous.....I'm sure randy takes plays off..but noiw he has the greatest QB ever ever did i say ever ;D..to throw him the ball.....BRING BACK THE RANDY RATIO......
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Brady is the best QB in the NFL IMO and if Moss will be successful anywhere it will be with Brady and everyone else in NE (so long as they are winning).  But Moss is a loser.  Most talented WR in the NFL, but not someone I'd want to be in a foxhole with. 

And I leave you with these immortal words of wisdom from Moss:  "I play when I want to play."   ;D

body88

1 year deal. Under 3 million dollars in salary for one year. Protection clause that allows the pats to cut moss at any time at no loss. Protection clause that guarantees moss his salary after he proves himself in camp and the preseason. Veteran locker room. Track record of "bad character" guys playing with no problem Corey Dillon/Brian Cox. One of the best QB's ever tossing the rock. Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft, Seymour, Brewski, Harrison, Brady and Jr. Entering a system where he does not have to be "the man". Entering a system that is already loaded at wr. At the cost of a extra fourth round pick.

Nuff said ;)

Deion Branch =  2008 first round draft pick, Randy Moss and freed up the cap space to aquire Adalius Thomas.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
1 year deal. A little under 3 million bucks in salary for Randy Moss. Protection clause that allows the pats to cut moss at any time. Protection clause that only guarantees moss a dime of his salary after he proves himself in camp and preseason. Veteran locker room. Track record of "bad character" guys playing with no problem Corey Dillon/Brian Cox. One of the best QB's ever tossing the rock. Bill Belichick. Robery Kraft. Entering a system where he does not have to be the man. Entering a system that is already loaded at wr. At the cost of a fourth round pick.

Nuff said ;)

I see two issues here: 

1.  Was the acquisition a good deal for the Pats?  I say yes (for the reasons you stated about his contract).  Good risk/reward.  They basically got him for nothing. 

2.  Is Moss a louse?  I say yes.  I see a distinction between Moss and Dillon/Cox.  Dillon and Cox both came to play every Sunday, on every play.  Moss doesn't.  He quit it in Minn. and Oakland ("There were some games where out of 28 plays he'd have 13 or 14 busts. Wrong routes, wrong reads. Dogging it. Whatever.")  Have the Pats taken a player who quits and turned him into Jerry Rice?  I'm not saying it cannot be done, but it will not surprise me one bit if Moss brings the same problems to the field he has for years, particularly if the Pats have any kind of losing streak. 

body88

I see two issues here: 

1.  Was the acquisition a good deal for the Pats?  I say yes (for the reasons you stated about his contract).  Good risk/reward.  They basically got him for nothing. 

2.  Is Moss a louse?  I say yes.  I see a distinction between Moss and Dillon/Cox.  Dillon and Cox both came to play every Sunday, on every play.  Moss doesn't.  He quit it in Minn. and Oakland ("There were some games where out of 28 plays he'd have 13 or 14 busts. Wrong routes, wrong reads. Dogging it. Whatever.")  Have the Pats taken a player who quits and turned him into Jerry Rice?  I'm not saying it cannot be done, but it will not surprise me one bit if Moss brings the same problems to the field he has for years, particularly if the Pats have any kind of losing streak. 

The pats dont need Moss to be Jerry Rice. They are not hinging anything on Moss. They had the luxery of snatching him up for next to nothing because he wanted to play there. They where set at wr before Moss came on board. They do not need Moss. Do they love having his talent? Of course, but if he was to get cut 1 day into camp they still have Stallworth, Welker, Brown, Gaffney, Caldwell and Chad Jackson.You have to remember they where one play away from another sb with two guys no one ever heard off last year. Jackson was hurt all year so he did not even play. Corey had some issues with quitting and whining this year when he did not get the carries he felt he deserved. He would disappear from games and be seen scowling on the bench at times last year. Don't forget Corey got into trouble with the law in the past. It was rumored that Doug Gabriel had become a problem in the locker room and he was cut real fast last year. There have been scumbag guys who played for the pats, you just don't hear about them much because they get cut. The pats do like high character guys, but the whole patriot philosophy is pumped up to rediculous levels time by the media. Belichick likes football players who he feels will compliment his system. So far he has known how to pick em, so I don't see not trusting him now. Either way they are not tied to Moss and can cut him at really no loss. There have been many chemistry issues with guys. Deion Branch holding out and refusing to play right before the season last year. Terry Glenn when he held the pats hostage the first sb year. Ty Law in general. ted Washington etc etc. The whole locker room was divided about Branch.

I think that Moss will be a great addition to the pats for several reasons. This is what I asked myself when I evaluated the deal from a chemistry standpoint. Has he ever had a strong locker room to fall back on with a proven track record handling troublesome players? Guys like Rodney Harrison, Tom Brady, Teddy and Richard Seymour to confide in. Has he ever had one of the greatest qbs to ever live tossing him the rock? Has he ever had a hall of fame coach? Has he ever had to just be another player and not the "star"? Has he ever taken a massive pay cut? Does he know he will get cut if he screws up? Does he knows the pats are loaded at wr without him? Does he really have something to prove?

After asking myself those questions I was comfortable with the deal. I really think he will have be on his best behavior in his first year. As you know with the development of Chad Jackson I think the pats only want him for that one year. Since this deal is a one year thing for cheap money, I was ok with it. Long term deal for big money?? No way I would ever do it. I think they will get what the can out of him for a year then part ways.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
The pats dont need Moss to be Jerry Rice. They are not hinging anything on Moss. They had the luxery of snatching him up for next to nothing because he wanted to play there. They where set at wr before Moss came on board. They do not need Moss. Do they love having his talent? Of course, but if he was to get cut 1 day into camp they still have Stallworth, Welker, Brown, Gaffney, Caldwell and Chad Jackson.You have to remember they where one play away from another sb with two guys no one ever heard off last year. Jackson was hurt all year so he did not even play. Corey had some issues with quitting and whining this year when he did not get the carries he felt he deserved. He would disappear from games and be seen scowling on the bench at times last year. Don't forget Corey got into trouble with the law in the past. It was rumored that Doug Gabriel had become a problem in the locker room and he was cut real fast last year. There have been scumbag guys who played for the pats, you just don't hear about them much because they get cut. The pats do like high character guys, but the whole patriot philosophy is pumped up to rediculous levels time by the media. Belichick likes football players who he feels will compliment his system. So far he has known how to pick em, so I don't see not trusting him now. Either way they are not tied to Moss and can cut him at really no loss. There have been many chemistry issues with guys. Deion Branch holding out and refusing to play right before the season last year. Terry Glenn when he held the pats hostage the first sb year. Ty Law in general. ted Washington etc etc. The whole locker room was divided about Branch.

I think that Moss will be a great addition to the pats for several reasons. This is what I asked myself when I evaluated the deal from a chemistry standpoint. Has he ever had a strong locker room to fall back on with a proven track record handling troublesome players? Guys like Rodney Harrison, Tom Brady, Teddy and Richard Seymour to confide in. Has he ever had one of the greatest qbs to ever live tossing him the rock? Has he ever had a hall of fame coach? Has he ever had to just be another player and not the "star"? Has he ever taken a massive pay cut? Does he know he will get cut if he screws up? Does he knows the pats are loaded at wr without him? Does he really have something to prove?

After asking myself those questions I was comfortable with the deal. I really think he will have be on his best behavior in his first year. As you know with the development of Chad Jackson I think the pats only want him for that one year. Since this deal is a one year thing for cheap money, I was ok with it. Long term deal for big money?? No way I would ever do it. I think they will get what the can out of him for a year then part ways. 

Good points.  I do think it's a good deal for the Pats.  But keep in mind that Moss only displayed problems on the field (other than taking plays off) when his teams were losing.  He did have a good mentor in Chris Carter and he played with C-Pep when he had one of the best seasons by a QB in NFL history.  He didn't cause any on-the-field problems, so long as the team was winning. 

That said, this is the ideal situation for Moss. 

body88

Good points.  I do think it's a good deal for the Pats.  But keep in mind that Moss only displayed problems on the field (other than taking plays off) when his teams were losing.  He did have a good mentor in Chris Carter and he played with C-Pep when he had one of the best seasons by a QB in NFL history.  He didn't cause any on-the-field problems, so long as the team was winning. 

That said, this is the ideal situation for Moss. 

I agree totally. I hope Moss works out well for the pats. Taking into account the depth at wr and how little the pats had to give up to get em I like the deal. If this deal was long term, and at some kind of real cost, I would be very unhappy. Or if Moss was some kind of cornerstone in the wr corps they really needed to succeded I would be unhappy.

If this guys acts up one time I will be crying for him to get cut on these very boards to all you fine people :)

Great point about Carter btw.