I have a number of questions on what you need to do as a personal trainer to get clients.
* Does the gym find you clients or do you have to find them yourself?
* If not, how much time do you have to spend finding them?
* How long does it take to find a base of clients? (enough for 20-35 hrs/wk)
* Do most gyms make you find all your own clients?
* Do you usually get a base salary? Benefits?
* Is it hard to get clients?
* Do you constantly have to go up to people or do they frequently come to you?
* Does the gym take a cut of your hourly pay even if you find the clients? How much?
* Do you choose how much to charge per hour? Does the gym set it?
* Do you have to take out insurance or do the gyms provide that?
I know it's a lot of questions but any help you can all give would be great!
I work as a contract trainer as well as an employee for an athletic club. The gym will refer people wo me when i work as an employee, but i cannot solicit these people. For my own clients who i charge my fee, i have to work to attain them. This is done through luck or salesmanship.
How long does it take to find a base?
This really depends on the volume the gym gets, and the business skill of the trainer.
Do most gyms make you find your own clients?
No, at 24 hour fitness (which i dont work at) a trainer does not need to find any clients, because they are lined up and fed to the trainer at a 60/40 split in profit. Where I work, we need to find our own because of the non solicitation deal.
At a place like 24 hour fitness, you get a salary based on how much you work and how many clients you keep. Where i work, as an employee of the gym, i only get paid 7.00 and hour, but i do this because i will not have to pay rent for my private training.
Is it hard?
No, just have charisma, and a good sense of business. Always be to the point, and it will be fine. Granted, it is much easier said than done.
Do people come up to you or you to them?
When i am working privately, i wear a trainers lanyard. Because of this, people will come up to me. At least one a day (however my gym does get an insane amount of people per day). When i work for the club, it is my job to help random people, who sometimes ask about private training.
Do you choose how much to charge per hour? Does the gym set it?
where i work yes, some people charge 200 an hour, some charge 20. At other gyms, the gym sets it.
Do you have to take out insurance or do the gyms provide that?
If you train as a self employed trainer, you must provide liability insurance. If you work as an employee, most times you do not.
I hope this helped.