Author Topic: this gotta be the most intense guitar solo ever  (Read 5691 times)

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
Re: this gotta be the most intense guitar solo ever
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2007, 06:41:07 PM »
hendrix is the king..thats a known fact but what amazes me about tom is his unique guitar playing style..i mean its totally different than those traditional guitar players..i am not a fan of metallica type 2 handed guitar tap solos.those type of solos are over-rated and very boring.i mean bands like megadeath,pantera,slayer etc all sound the same when it comes to guitar solos..morello is one of a kind..you can hate him all you want but in my book he is the modern day hendrix..they both made their guitar sound like anything but a guitar and that my friend is greatness..morello rulz

Why do you keep going on about tapping and shit? What Morello does is almost the same as tapping
$

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2007, 07:39:47 PM »
Why do you keep going on about tapping and shit?

Because he feels that's the only way that someone can be considered "intense" or a guitar hero.
Hendrix never tapped, but Segovia did. One is considered a guitar hero and the other is not. Kirk Hammet taps, but Wes Montgomery didn't. Both of them are guitar heroes, but in their respective fields, not so much an across the board type of influence like Hendrix, or someone on a more popular scale.
Shadow doesn't know music, any genre. He knows what he likes, and because he feels one thing is great or "intense," than it must be the best thing ever.
Music is highly subjective. In regards to time keeping, feel, licks being played, space used, harmonic movement or whatever. What one likes, another may hate. Praise, or disdain- to each their own.
But shadow confuses the two, often; and can't distinguish between the lines when there should be a clear delineation.

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2007, 09:37:55 AM »
I dont' play guitar but I know alot about guitarists in general, I've watched tons of video's-instructional, concert-you name it.  I can pretty much tell what a guy is doing when I hear soemthing I just can't translate it to my fingers-I just got a guitar so that might change ;D ;D

anyway, Tom Morello-and don't take this as a shot shadow seems like he's all effects to me.  He comes up with some cool sounding riffs sometimes but as far as soloing I dont' think he's really all that great.  When I think of great soloists, I think of EVH, Gilbert, Satch...Vai.  hell even Ace Frehley is fun as hell to listen to but I dont' consider him all that technically great.

Someone mentioned Billy Sheehan, there's a video of him doing a bass solo and Paul Gilbert comes in and they trade off and it's cool as hell.  Sheehan plays bass like no one else, just incredible speed and percision.  The 2nd Mr. Big CD is one of the most underrated early 90's rock cd's off alltime, it came out right before grunge so it got lost in the schuffle but it's a really good CD if you like that kind of music. 
nasser=piece of shit

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • THE FLAG OF THE ZAPATISTA ARMY OF LIBERATION
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2007, 10:12:05 AM »
lets see now..
1)tom morello makes his guitar sound like anything but a guitar

2)one of the most innovative guitarists of all time..i mean thats were the greatness lies,just like hendrix was.hendrix also used alot of effects too.hell every god damn guitarist uses effects

3)morello sounds unique.all of his riffs are so different than others..i mean tom created his own unique sound..very impressive

4)tom is an intelligent man..he knows how to use effects in the best possible way and created some of the best solos i have ever heard.he is a whole different guitar player.i mean i can't describe what this man does.pure genius
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2007, 11:50:40 AM »
buckethead does all tom does better, faster, more effiecient and is more popular amongst musicians.
$

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • THE FLAG OF THE ZAPATISTA ARMY OF LIBERATION
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2007, 11:53:02 AM »
buckethead does all tom does better, faster, more effiecient and is more popular amongst musicians.
i have heard his songs..they are nothing special..buckethead is a guitar shredder where as tom is not..dude the way tom uses effects i mean  nobody can match his riffs
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

the Pure Majestic

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2007, 12:50:14 PM »
i have heard his songs..they are nothing special..buckethead is a guitar shredder where as tom is not..dude the way tom uses effects i mean  nobody can match his riffs

Please stop typing.  You're in over your head. 

Morello is a good player, and does some good things.  He actually has some talent as well, aside from the effects.  I think he's stated that he uses the effects to try to be his own guitarist (in that kind of pretentious RATM way...)

Buckethead is highly praised among the best musicians out there today. 
You may not like him, and may not be able to see who/what/why things are good, but for those who play the guitar, he is considered a great musician.

You're going by what you like.  You don't have a dog in this fight.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2007, 02:51:50 PM »

You just DO NOT get it. It's like when you have a crush on a girl (pretend your pet goat is a girl shadow) and you say you love her. There is a difference between love and lust.
Just as there is a huge difference between what you claim Morello is, and what he in fact actually is. He's a groove player. He doesn't play "hot licks." He doesn't do anything flashy.
Is he good? ::) Yes!
But, is he what you say he is? ::) NO!!!! ;)

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2007, 06:44:23 PM »
All I know is that I got 5 stars on Expert playing guitar hero for RATM and I couldn't get 1 for Bucketheads song Jordan on expert
$

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2007, 07:57:59 PM »
it starts and ends with eddie ,their have been many good guitar players.eddie redefined it.everybody has their favorite,and will own all cd's and stand by their player,i own every vh cd,other than rare imports or live bootleg's.listen to eddies playing not even his solo's is unreal,his sound was unique and evolved with each disc.page great,angus too,but eveyone 80's on tapped their way on eddie's coattails...

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2007, 10:14:28 PM »

Someone mentioned Billy Sheehan, there's a video of him doing a bass solo and Paul Gilbert comes in and they trade off and it's cool as hell.  Sheehan plays bass like no one else, just incredible speed and percision.  The 2nd Mr. Big CD is one of the most underrated early 90's rock cd's off alltime, it came out right before grunge so it got lost in the schuffle but it's a really good CD if you like that kind of music. 

That was me.

The song I posted was "Mr. Big" by Free. The Andy Fraser bass solo in the song greatly influenced Billy Sheehan.

I don't know if that's where they (Mr. Big) got the name of the band, but it's a pretty good bet.

Here it is, and bear in mind, that this is almost 40 years old:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FhCilozomo

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2007, 06:51:48 AM »
That was me.

The song I posted was "Mr. Big" by Free. The Andy Fraser bass solo in the song greatly influenced Billy Sheehan.

I don't know if that's where they (Mr. Big) got the name of the band, but it's a pretty good bet.

Here it is, and bear in mind, that this is almost 40 years old:

they did get thier name from that song and cover it on one of thier cd's, dont' remember which one but I know they do.
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2007, 08:20:39 AM »
it starts and ends with eddie ,their have been many good guitar players.eddie redefined it.everybody has their favorite,and will own all cd's and stand by their player,i own every vh cd,other than rare imports or live bootleg's.listen to eddies playing not even his solo's is unreal,his sound was unique and evolved with each disc.page great,angus too,but eveyone 80's on tapped their way on eddie's coattails...

ed was the shit from 78-96ish, his playing was great in 98 but Gary Cherone...well ::).  The 04 tour was terrible, he was trashed beyond belief for that tour and the songs they recorded.  I've got soundboard audio of the Atlanta show and he's so wasted it's laughable that he could even go out on stage.  His playing was so f'n great in 96 with Humans Being and Me Wise Magic if only the guy could get along with anyone for an extended period of time we would have heard some great shit.
nasser=piece of shit

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2007, 07:56:34 PM »
ed was the shit from 78-96ish, his playing was great in 98 but Gary Cherone...well ::).  The 04 tour was terrible, he was trashed beyond belief for that tour and the songs they recorded.  I've got soundboard audio of the Atlanta show and he's so wasted it's laughable that he could even go out on stage.  His playing was so f'n great in 96 with Humans Being and Me Wise Magic if only the guy could get along with anyone for an extended period of time we would have heard some great shit.
humans being could be his best work in the nineties and i thought he kicked ass on balance,the intro sets up for a big tune,then the rest of the song sounds like he's playing two guitars at once,i saw the 04 tour at the meadowlans in jersey the pa was horrible,and audible and feedback i was deaf and painful screech in my right ear for the first 8 or so songs,the 2nd half got better,his solo was pretty good,i guess less drunk :-\,balance he had a bad hip and could only stand still,but was a great show.i feel with the rehab and new pics he looks good and rested,maybe he can reclaim that title.there's hope natural al.......

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2007, 06:27:44 AM »
humans being could be his best work in the nineties and i thought he kicked ass on balance,the intro sets up for a big tune,then the rest of the song sounds like he's playing two guitars at once,i saw the 04 tour at the meadowlans in jersey the pa was horrible,and audible and feedback i was deaf and painful screech in my right ear for the first 8 or so songs,the 2nd half got better,his solo was pretty good,i guess less drunk :-\,balance he had a bad hip and could only stand still,but was a great show.i feel with the rehab and new pics he looks good and rested,maybe he can reclaim that title.there's hope natural al.......

to me FUCK is better guitar wise than balance but again I don't play..I just like the way he plays on FUCK better.  Pleasure Dome is an awsome guitar song and the entire band is smoking during the solo section plus you got poundcake, judgement day...lots of GREAT guitar work.  I like some stuff on Balance but it just isn't as powerful to me as FUCK.  I don't buy the whole "ed's clean and doing great" line...I've heard it like 500 times before.  Bottom line is he's a drunk and his booze destroyed one of the greatest bands of all time with Dave or with Hagar..they lost 10 f'n years cause Ed's a mess. 

Anyway, I downloaded an Yngwie song and that guy could smoke, I've been a little hard on him in the past but he's just ripping it up.  To bad he had NO ability to write a "popular" song.
nasser=piece of shit

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2007, 06:54:13 AM »
to me FUCK is better guitar wise than balance but again I don't play..I just like the way he plays on FUCK better.  Pleasure Dome is an awsome guitar song and the entire band is smoking during the solo section plus you got poundcake, judgement day...lots of GREAT guitar work.  I like some stuff on Balance but it just isn't as powerful to me as FUCK.  I don't buy the whole "ed's clean and doing great" line...I've heard it like 500 times before.  Bottom line is he's a drunk and his booze destroyed one of the greatest bands of all time with Dave or with Hagar..they lost 10 f'n years cause Ed's a mess. 

Anyway, I downloaded an Yngwie song and that guy could smoke, I've been a little hard on him in the past but he's just ripping it up.  To bad he had NO ability to write a "popular" song.
YESf.u.c.k.cd they played their ass off and toured extensively to support it.they were huge that year,i guess i'm soft on eddie's drinking and say he'll be back so easy...hope i guess.malmesteen was going to be the next eddie but no hit's,airplay,proven full cd,graham bonnett back in the day could sing his ass off,but never committed to any band more than a year or too..

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2007, 07:30:17 AM »

You = wrong.

(Joe Lynn Turner wrote some of it though).

:D
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2007, 07:40:57 AM »
You = wrong.

(Joe Lynn Turner wrote some of it though).

:D

I can't see it but I'm assuming it's "heaven tonight"...it was a "minor' hit wasn't it?  Yngwie was the shit in all the rock mags for a few years but realistically he never broke through in America, for all the talent as a guitarist I don't think he ever translatted it well and certainly didn't have a "hit" like some of the other big axe men of the time like Vai(DLR, Whitesnake and his solo stuff), Lynch(Dokken, Lynchmob) or Bratta and Beach.  He could shred but as far as making it in the US, I'd say he didn't.  I could be wrong, maybe I don't remember right.
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2007, 07:47:07 AM »
YESf.u.c.k.cd they played their ass off and toured extensively to support it.they were huge that year,i guess i'm soft on eddie's drinking and say he'll be back so easy...hope i guess.malmesteen was going to be the next eddie but no hit's,airplay,proven full cd,graham bonnett back in the day could sing his ass off,but never committed to any band more than a year or too..

I honestly don't see how they're gonna be "back".  Dave hasn't recorded hardly anything since 97 and the one record he did record he only had 2 original tracks on.  Dave's "shctick" is old and worn out to me but I've seen it a million times.  I just dont' see him being able to pull off the old "I"m gonna fuck your girlfriend" line..he's over 50 for God's sake.  He honestly can't sing anymore-he has not been able to sing well onstage since at least 86 he more or less "talks" the song these days.  Sam and Mike are great friends but Ed really burned a bridge with them on the last tour.  They've done everything they can to screw Mike and I don't see him doing it without Sammy being involved.  Maybe he will...who knows?  Sam can still sing his ass off but he's getting up there and I don't know if he'd do another huge tour with them.  The songs they did in 04 were a disaster in the studio according to Sammy, he said it was so bad he'd come in and do a vocal and be out of there in 2hrs cause he just couldn't stand being around Ed...Sammy knows the songs were subpar and his lyrics really were not that great but it sounds like it was a miracle that they even got those out.
nasser=piece of shit

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2007, 07:05:29 PM »
I honestly don't see how they're gonna be "back".  Dave hasn't recorded hardly anything since 97 and the one record he did record he only had 2 original tracks on.  Dave's "shctick" is old and worn out to me but I've seen it a million times.  I just dont' see him being able to pull off the old "I"m gonna fuck your girlfriend" line..he's over 50 for God's sake.  He honestly can't sing anymore-he has not been able to sing well onstage since at least 86 he more or less "talks" the song these days.  Sam and Mike are great friends but Ed really burned a bridge with them on the last tour.  They've done everything they can to screw Mike and I don't see him doing it without Sammy being involved.  Maybe he will...who knows?  Sam can still sing his ass off but he's getting up there and I don't know if he'd do another huge tour with them.  The songs they did in 04 were a disaster in the studio according to Sammy, he said it was so bad he'd come in and do a vocal and be out of there in 2hrs cause he just couldn't stand being around Ed...Sammy knows the songs were subpar and his lyrics really were not that great but it sounds like it was a miracle that they even got those out.
age is getting them ur right,well at least we have the old day's,i had fair warning in the car and last 2 day's listened all the way through,great eddie heavy leads and alex really pounded the drum's ,i liked that tour,u mentioned the oakland collesium had only those 3 songs available,i liked the city backdrop,light show was cool,and wall to wall amps..ur knowledge is appreciated.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2007, 06:19:56 AM »
age is getting them ur right,well at least we have the old day's,i had fair warning in the car and last 2 day's listened all the way through,great eddie heavy leads and alex really pounded the drum's ,i liked that tour,u mentioned the oakland collesium had only those 3 songs available,i liked the city backdrop,light show was cool,and wall to wall amps..ur knowledge is appreciated.

I've only got a couple of boots from that show, no video just audio.  That tour was a real low point for the band in general.  Rumors were going around that Billy Sheehan was gonna replace Mike..rumor is that Dave and Ed went to a Talas show to scout Billy.  They spoke and Ed actually offered him the job but called him the next day and said he didn't feel right about kicking Mike out.  There's an interview in a guitar mag where Ed has NOTHING good to say about Mike from this time period.  Basically Ed feels Mike just is a "hanger on".  Ed also recorded all of the guitar-or most of it-at night with Don Landee and then the band would come in the next day and finish the recording, Ed was on alot of coke at the time according to rumors.  Ed wanted to quit the band.  There's a story that during this tour (might be the diverdown tour, I don't remember)  that Ed actually tried to punch Dave in the face one night, Dave ducked and Ed broke his hand cause he hit a wall.  They were supposed to record some shows for a live album but the broken hand put that on hold.  Really tons of bad stories from the fair Warning-Diver Down era.

Ed's playing is spectacular on that cd, it's not my fav of the Dave era but it's pretty damn good.
nasser=piece of shit

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2007, 07:03:03 AM »
GOOD natural al..i knew their was a lot of internal strife in the band,mangment,producer's.dave and all but it's sad to hear when u visually see those video's from fair warning it look's like they loved being rock stars.i think women and children is one of their music peaks and dave really riffed on those tune's.eddie again has guitar solo intro's on almost every song,"fools"is one of my all time fave vh tunes,m.a. especially is great on backround vocals.u know a lot i gather u seem to prefer the sammy year's at least creativity wise ,i could be wrong.as a kid i was as big a fan as their was,u make me look like a casual fan.ou812 was one of my fav hagar cd's.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2007, 07:54:34 AM »
GOOD natural al..i knew their was a lot of internal strife in the band,mangment,producer's.dave and all but it's sad to hear when u visually see those video's from fair warning it look's like they loved being rock stars.i think women and children is one of their music peaks and dave really riffed on those tune's.eddie again has guitar solo intro's on almost every song,"fools"is one of my all time fave vh tunes,m.a. especially is great on backround vocals.u know a lot i gather u seem to prefer the sammy year's at least creativity wise ,i could be wrong.as a kid i was as big a fan as their was,u make me look like a casual fan.ou812 was one of my fav hagar cd's.

I grew up on Van hagar, I was 13 when 5150 came out so they were everywhere and I just loved the whole bands attitude at the time, everyone was cool as hell to me.  I still listen to 5150, OU812 and FUCK all the time...balance not so much and I like the live disk but don't really listen to it.

Dave sometimes seems cool as hell to me other times he just seems really cheesey, did you ever see the poster that came with WACF?  It's just GAY.  I like alot of the tunes on WACF...1984 is my fav Dave era disk cause of Girl Gone Band and House of Pain.  Ed really could do no wrong up until about 95 then he flipped out...I hear alot of poeple seeem to think he's bi polar..it makes sense to me.

There's really not much about the band I don't know ;D
nasser=piece of shit

Laughing Sam's Dice

• Getbig IV
  • $12.95 per monthman
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2007, 09:33:05 AM »
This song not only has one of the best guitar solos of all-time, but arguably the most influential bass solo ever. Billy Sheehan cites Andy Fraser as one of his biggest influences.

Bottom line: Free is the most underated band ever.

That is a fine bass solo.  Average bluesy guitar solo from that era.
Stick out your tongue.