Author Topic: compound exercises vs isolation exercises  (Read 1137 times)

clayton green

• Getbig II
compound exercises vs isolation exercises
« on: May 04, 2007, 08:53:07 AM »
What are your thoughts on compound exercises vs isolation exercises when on a size/mass routine?  I know members have said that gear can equal more volume but spending 2-3 hours in the gym is overtraining even on gear. I am thinking about doing one or two compound exerercies and maybe one isolaiton exercises per muscle group.  I am not sure about the benefits of dumbell flies, side raises, front raises, leg ext, leg curls, etc. when trying to add size/mass.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
Re: compound exercises vs isolation exercises
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 08:59:38 AM »
Compound exercises are generally better for adding mass. However, that being said I think both compound & isolation have a place in any routine.

I do both when I lift. But I lift based on how I feel. Somedays it'll be compound movements, isolation exercises, & machines. Then others it'll only be only one kind of exercise. It all depends on my mood & how crowded the gym is (i.e. if the free weight area is packed I'll favor the machines/cables & if the machines/cables are packed I'll favor the free weights).

clayton green

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 10:54:56 AM »
Thanks,  I think I am just going to  keep it  to about an 1 hour and do what  feels right and  has worked for me in the past regardless of  whether I am on  gear  or  not.  Maybe I am/was expecting too much from the gear, thinking  that I  would turn into some strong freak and  be able to  lift as  long as I wanted w/o overtraining.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 09:37:26 AM »
Both but always do the compound movements first and finish off with flyes, laterals, pullovers...etc.

8)

clayton green

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 04:24:55 PM »
Thanks.  I am back in the gym on Monday and will make  the change in my routine and see if that helps.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 04:58:32 AM »
In my training often I will alternate compound/isolation excercises such as

1.  Incline BB press
2.  Incline fly
3.  Flat dumbell press
4.  Pec deck or crossovers

Just one example.  But every training sesion has compound and iso moves in it, there are millions of ways to mix up the routine.   Like overload I will usually start with a compound move, not always though.  Compound moves are better to warm up with anyhow IMO.