Author Topic: Fleas  (Read 9593 times)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
Fleas
« on: May 05, 2007, 10:38:39 AM »
i've had my cat for almost two years and i have rarely seen a flea on her. i have always put the flea drops on her neck and never had a problem. two months ago i forgot to put the drops on her neck and boom, fleas galore! this cat is a 100% inside cat, never been outside. i've continued the flea drops and the cat doesn't have fleas on her. in fact i haven't seen a flea on her in two weeks but they are all over my house.

i've bombed the house with the fogger thing and i vaccum every other day but there are still fleas that jump on my feet when i'm sitting on the couch.

what can i do to get rid of them for good? in two years i never had this problem until now.

Thank you.

8)

knny187

• Getbig V
Re: Fleas
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 11:03:55 AM »
i've had my cat for almost two years and i have rarely seen a flea on her. i have always put the flea drops on her neck and never had a problem. two months ago i forgot to put the drops on her neck and boom, fleas galore! this cat is a 100% inside cat, never been outside. i've continued the flea drops and the cat doesn't have fleas on her. in fact i haven't seen a flea on her in two weeks but they are all over my house.

i've bombed the house with the fogger thing and i vaccum every other day but there are still fleas that jump on my feet when i'm sitting on the couch.

what can i do to get rid of them for good? in two years i never had this problem until now.

Thank you.

8)

Keep consistant with what you're doing. The fleas laid eggs, so they'll return.

Make sure you buy things that destroy the eggs.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 05:41:49 PM »
http://www.critterchat.net/diearth.htm

http://shop.robbinspetcare.com/dogs/fleaaway.html

http://www.alternatives2toxics.org/catsoldsite/fleas.htm

DE Diatomaceous Earth, food grade, not the stuff used in pool filters.

When I got Tad I noticed like a week later he was scratching and I did find a few fleas on him.  I did NOTHING despite the fact that I have 3 other dogs.  The fleas went away on their own and none of my other dogs got them.   

Healthy animals are not appealing to infestations.   :)

I have never used any chemicals on my pets.  I try and build up their immune system, not tear it down making them more susceptible to things like this.  The fact that your cat is an indoor cat and has gotten fleas tells me that her immune system is not healthy.   Do you vaccinate your cat regularly for everything even though she stays indoors?   What do you feed her?

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 08:15:20 AM »
she's had her yearly vaccinations, and i feed her science diet dry food.

they only appeared after i missed giving her a dose of the flea meds. in fact, i can never recall seeing a flea on her more than once or twice before this.

thanks for the links, i've had cats my entire life and never had a flea problem until now. i knew the flea drops weren't the best method but they have always worked.

would this fossil shell flour work well to spread on my carpet?

http://www.dirtworks.net/Diatomaceous-Earth.html#anchorfossilshellflour

8)

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 08:57:41 AM »
easy on the vaccinations.

They can break down the animals natural immune system

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 11:45:25 AM »
she's had her yearly vaccinations, and i feed her science diet dry food.

:o *THUMP*  that's me falling to the floor    

That sentence says it all right there.  YEARLY vaccinations?  For an INDOOR cat?

Please see the stickied Vaccination thread.  Your cat doesn't need any more vaccinations EVER.    I believe I have a duration of immunity study around somewhere that was done on cats.  I will post it in the vac thread when I find it.

Science Diet is not a good food.  Look for a food with the first 3 out of 4, or 4 out of 4, ingredients are meat based.  When I recommend kibble I recommend the Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul line (first 4 ingredients are meat, human grade).  (they are also not on the recalled list for dry foods either)  Please look into switching to that or a better grade kibble than Science Death.   I feed my dogs raw, (which is also preferred for cats who are obligate carnivores) but I did feed my ferrets the Chicken Soup kitten, up until my recently passed one (RIP Simon) would only eat the cooked chicken gravy I made and now my last ferret who has lymphoma is only eating my chicken gravy too so I have taken the kibble away completely. Cancer can feed on carbs so I am glad he decided on his own to stop eating the kibble. 

Cats can be finicky, so if you do decide to switch foods you may have to slowly add it into the mix till eventually it is only the better one.  Sometimes letting it mix in the same container makes them smell the same too. You could mix some in a tupperware. If your cat likes the new kind if you switch, then throw out the rest of the Science death, don't even finish it.

And yes, the DE can be used on your carpets, that link you provided is for food grade so it is fine to use on and in your cat too.  Sprinkle it on when no one else is in the room, and vacuum it up a few days later and repeat.  You don't have to make a snowstorm out of it though!   You can sprinkle and rub some right on her fur too.  Just put a little on at a time, like I said, you don't want a big dust cloud.  When you vacuum, empty the bag right after and put it in another bag and close it up and put it outside.  Don't want the buggers hopping out again!

If you would like to try raw but with the convenience of kibble, check out Wysong, they have several versions, stay away from the Buffet or any of the ones with grains or oats, you might as well feed kibble!!  (you can feed this dry, you do not have to add water unless your car insists on it)

http://www.wysong.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WOTTPWS&Product_Code=WDAR7-5&Category_Code=FD&Product_Count=2

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 12:09:57 PM »
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed&cmd=Retrieve&list_uids=10328440&dopt=Abstract

Long-term immunity in cats vaccinated with an inactivated trivalent vaccine.

* Scott FW,
    * Geissinger CM.

Department of Microbiology and Immunology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate duration of immunity in cats vaccinated with an inactivated vaccine of feline panleukopenia virus (FPV), feline herpesvirus (FHV), and feline calicivirus (FCV). ANIMALS: 17 cats. PROCEDURE: Immunity of 9 vaccinated and 8 unvaccinated cats (of an original 15 vaccinated and 17 unvaccinated cats) was challenged 7.5 years after vaccination. Specific-pathogen-free (SPF) cats were vaccinated at 8 and 12 weeks old and housed in isolation facilities. Offspring of vaccinated cats served as unvaccinated contact control cats. Virus neutralization tests were used to determine antibody titers yearly. Clinical responses were recorded, and titers were determined weekly after viral challenge. RESULTS: Control cats remained free of antibodies against FPV, FHV, and FCV and did not have infection before viral challenge. Vaccinated cats had high FPV titers throughout the study and solid protection against virulent FPV 7.5 years after vaccination. Vaccinated cats were seropositive against FHV and FCV for 3 to 4 years after vaccination, with gradually declining titers. Vaccinated cats were protected partially against viral challenge with virulent FHV. Relative efficacy of the vaccine, on the basis of reduction of clinical signs of disease, was 52%. Results were similar after FCV challenge, with relative efficacy of 63%. Vaccination did not prevent local mild infection or shedding of FHV or FCV. CONCLUSIONS: Duration of immunity after vaccination with an inactivated, adjuvanted vaccine was > 7 years. Protection against FPV was better than for FHV and FCV. CLINICAL IMPLICATIONS: Persistence of antibody titers against all 3 viruses for > 3 years supports recommendations that cats may be revaccinated against FPV-FHV-FCV at 3-year intervals.

PMID: 10328440 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 12:30:25 PM »

8)

!!!!  lol @ this pic...she looks fiesty ;D
R

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 07:30:22 AM »
Thank you very much Flower.

Stella, she is very playfull! she loves boxes and towels for some reason. she also isn't afraid of water, when i wash dishes she sits about an inch from the sink and plays with the water.

8)

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 12:41:19 AM »
try putting a night light in every wall socket.  Then put a bowl of water under it.  The fleas Will jump at the light and land in the water , and they can't get out.

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 02:16:21 AM »
try putting a night light in every wall socket.  Then put a bowl of water under it.  The fleas Will jump at the light and land in the water , and they can't get out.

That sounds like something Steve Irwin would have said.... :-\
?

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 07:12:51 AM »
That sounds like something Steve Irwin would have said.... :-\

poor Steve.  I don't know who came up with the idea but it works.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 04:22:17 AM »
I have had good success with Phizer's Revolution, Its a flea, tick and heartworm med, kind of pricey though but worth it.

My dog when I got him as a puppy at 7 weeks had fleas, worms (the not uncommon ones) and tape worms (uncommon) poor boy.  The lady I got him from had 2 nice litters of healthy looking dogs.  She came up from Mississippi to sell the dogs from her sisters house.  Its warm year round down there, and I can only guess these pepole were pretty poor and this was a big part of their income, so the cheap asses did minimal parasite control, if any.

First visit to my vet we got the fleas and regular worms under control, but the vet missed the tape worms, cause they are so uncommon in pups.  I was seeing these rice like droppings in his crate and started to see worms moving in his turds.  Back to the vet where I explained what was going on and he knew then what was up.  He gave him some pretty strong meds and I could tell they slowed the little guy down some but it knocked out the tape worms.

I sprayed the house with this Adams flea killer spray and as flower said you need the kind that kills all stages of the flea life cycle and it does.  It worked well and I had no fleas come back.  But them tape worms were gross.   

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 12:48:51 PM »
Another pet/environment friendly idea for fleas:

Score and slice a lemon, place it in a bowl, and pour 1 cup boiling water over it. Allow the mixture to sit overnight, then spray it onto your pet. Avoid getting in eyes and ears.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 12:54:07 PM »

Score and slice a lemon, place it in a bowl, and pour 1 cup boiling water over it. Allow the mixture to sit overnight, then spray it onto your pet. Avoid getting in eyes and ears.

thanks flower I will try it

Laughing Sam's Dice

• Getbig IV
  • $12.95 per monthman
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 03:07:12 PM »
this cat is a 100% inside cat, never been outside.

Well then who in your house has been going outside and bringing them in?   

You're not invited into my house.   >:(
Stick out your tongue.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 04:19:18 PM »
I wonder if hedgeapples would work  ???

STella?
:

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 12:19:20 AM »

I've bombed the house with the fogger thing and i vaccum every other day but there are still fleas that jump on my feet when i'm sitting on the couch.

Thank you.

8)

Ok, you need to remember that the majority of the fleas spend the majority of their time OFF your pet.  What you see on your cat are female fleas getting a blood meal to lay eggs or a male chasing a female.  This is what I've recommended to may clients with good success....

1) if you have a severe flea infestation, you need to use a flea preventative... I personally prefer Frontline (because its not absorbed across the animals skin and its waterproof) but Advantage or Revolution (which I'm not a big fan of) will also work.   STAY AWAY from petstore (ie Hartz) brands.  These things used to be prescription, they didn't work, so the companies reduced the concentration of the drugs in them and started selling them over the counter.  They don't work.   They make huge amounts of money for the company because they don't work.   I've literally seen a dog with fleas on its nose, none on the middle of its back where the owner put on the petstore spot on and fleas on its back.   Also, these can be very, very dangerous for cats.   They can cause seizures or even kill your cat if you put the dog formula on a cat.   

You need to use this flea preventative for at least 3 life cycles of the flea---which is roughly 2 1/2 to 3 months.    This will prevent any residual eggs that you miss from hatching and getting on your pets. 

2) Vacuum  tables, furniture, carpets.  Then take the vacuum bag out and put it in your freezer or freeze the canister out of your vacuum.    If you just vacuum, you will suck up the fleas, but then they are in the vacuum, free to crawl back out how they like.   After you've frozen the canister overnight, dump it in a trashbag, tightly tie the bag and take it immediately to your dumpster. 

3) wash your pets bedding and beds in HOT water.   This will kill any residual fleas and flea eggs.  If you can't wash the bedding, throw it out and get something new. 

4) Flea bombs don't work.   What they do is put a large amount of potentially harmful chemicals in the air to settle on all horizontal surfaces but they don't' do crap to kill the fleas.  Remember, fleas are in the carpeting under the table, not on top of the table where the chemicals from a bomb settle.   If you have a severe, severe infestation, you can consider spot treating areas where the pets spend a large amount of time with an appropriate topical spray.   I don't' recommend using diatomacious earth because I've seen cats develop severe ocular irritation when they rubbed on carpeting treated and got the granules in their eyes.  I've also seen cats with severe irritation between their toe pads from diatomacious earth. 

5)    Remember to treat all "hidden hosts".   Fleas will move freely from cats to dogs to guinea pigs to ferrets (Fleas love ferrets) to rabbits.   You must treat all potential flea hosts in your house to eliminate the fleas.   You can safely use revolution or advantage on most exotic species.  Don't use Frontline on rabbits---the carrier is toxic.   

6) look for a latant infestation source----ie if you live in an apartment building, ask your neighbors if they are having a flea problem.  Fleas will freely travel from one apartment to the other under the doors.  You can treat your place until you are blue in the face and you won't be successful if your neighbor has a flea factory putting out fleas in their apartment.  Other things to consider are stray dogs or cats in your area.  I've seen one case where I swear the indoor cat got fleas from an outdoor cat through an open window across a screen. 

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 12:22:12 AM »
I wonder if hedgeapples would work  ???

STella?

LOL.  Good old hedgeapples.  ;D

My mother in law swears by them.   She also uses Frontline, but she swears by her hedgeapples. 

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 12:24:18 AM »

In my experience, this doesn't work, bu the dog or cat will smell nice.   You need to be very careful because the lemon juice will irritate the crap out of dogs and cats eyes and ears.   You are better off with the B-50 vitamin treatment, but I dont' think that works for fleas either.   

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2007, 05:29:18 AM »
I prefer building the animal "up" instead of tearing it down with chemicals and poisons used only as a last resort.  And if resorting to those, working on the animal as a whole after that.

I find it odd that an indoor cat could that quickly get such a severe flea infestation.  Treat the cause, not just the symptoms.

Are "Spot On" Flea Killers Safe?
  http://www.apnm.org/publications/resources/fleachemfin.pdf

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 06:55:41 AM »
Maybe he visited a friends house and brought a bunch of fleas with him...those things happen because i witnessed it myself!!
?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2007, 07:13:25 AM »
Maybe he visited a friends house and brought a bunch of fleas with him...those things happen because i witnessed it myself!!

true, but such a rapid and major infestation?  :-\   As I mentioned in a previous post, I noticed a few fleas on Tad after I brought him home.  No treatment was given to him, and they were gone on their own and without infesting the other 3 dogs (and 2 ferrets!) in the house.  And I have never used any flea prevention methods of any kind. 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2007, 09:06:07 AM »

Sounds like he just wanted to bring something to the party

;)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2007, 03:25:11 PM »
Thank you everyone!

the fleas are gone...i ended up just vacuuming every day and then i had my entire house and furniture steam cleaned and i haven't seen a flea in a month.

Thanks Vet.

8)