Author Topic: Frank Zane told it like it was in his radio interview.  (Read 5743 times)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Frank Zane told it like it was in his radio interview.
« on: May 07, 2007, 07:59:54 AM »
I listened to the interview with Frank Zane and came away respecting him more for what he said. He used his intelligence to succeed in a sport where there were many serious contenders like Robby Robinson. He did many things by working out what was best for himself and didn't follow the herd. I think many of us underestimated Frank.

Seymour Koenig told me Frank was better than Arnold in 1968. It was good to hear the story from Frank. Also, that comment made to Arnold after the 79 Olympia. Arnold got owned that day, and he didn't like it. That made me laugh. No doubt Arnold was out to get even with Frank. No mention was made about the judges at the 80 Olympia nor that it was promoted by Arnold's personal mate, Paul Graham. Perhaps Frank was being polite but I would prefer if people tell what they know. I guess if champions cast doubts at contests others can do the same to the ones they won! Arnold seemed to be mates with ALL of the judges.

He is one of the few champs to stand in a lineup without having his arms out wide. Yep, it made him look better. He didn't say in the interview but I remember that he lost a contest because his shoulders weren't wide enough or something like that. Frank corrected this by working his exterior delts so that they were one of his best features. His physique was conceived then developed over more than a decade.

Frank was honest and candid in his interview. I agree with his assessment of Franco and others like Danny. When I looked at the images of Danny Padilla from the 1980 Mr Olympia I was surprised to see he was the biggest guy on stage. Since he is short he wasn't compared to anyone at the judging. Danny was clearly superior to Franco in 81. Frank never really answered whether it was a mistake NOT to compete in 81. He might easily have won that contest.

Frank didn't come on the harbour cruise after the 80 Olympia so I never caught up with him that year. There were reports that some of the top 5 who were awarded trophies somehow had accidents after the show and the trophies were broken. Not sure who exactly that was but it was more than one competitor. Surprisingly there have never been any reports of anyone ripping up a cheque!

I hope Frank keeps training and later this year takes some shots to prove he doesn't have to photoshop his images.

He did tell me I don't have to go to Disneyland when he visited my penthouse apartment in Sydney back in the late 70s. I asked him why not and he said because I've been living in Fantasyland all my life. He was referring to a statement I made after I won the Mr Canada in 1970 that my ambition was to beat Frank Zane. I emigrated to Australian and not Los Angeles so I never did have the motivation to train hard enough to compete at the highest level.

Anyway, Frank spoke in a fearless manner and said what was on his mind. It was quite refreshing to listen to what he had to say and that he is still working his business his way and is happy with his life.

Stark

• Getbig V
Re: Frank Zane told it like it was in his radio interview.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 08:01:50 AM »
no offense there buddy, but your Avatar is disturbing... good read.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 08:08:24 AM »
i love it how this pasy old delusional fart tries to make it sound like he's a part of the bb'ing scene of the 70's, hahahahaha, what a joke.

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 09:07:45 AM »
"Safety Fat"

Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

Nuge

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 09:10:53 AM »
I liked that post--regardless of how "in" Vince actually was.
Repent, or join me!

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 09:12:15 AM »
"Safety Fat"

WHo the fuck is that bra? I must have missed that particular owning

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 09:13:29 AM »
WHo the fuck is that bra? I must have missed that particular owning

Vince Basile and his safety fat.  ;D
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 09:18:32 AM »

Vince Basile and his safety fat.  ;D

Edit: Come to think of it, that;s friggen hillarious and you HAVE to respect him for the selfpisstake ;D

UK Gold

• Getbig IV
  • Riding on the Getbig wind
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 09:23:34 AM »
Vince, when you make posts like this you are amongst the best members of Getbig. You were fortunate enough to live in the silver age of bodybuilding [Dorian's era was the golden age], and its great to hear your stories. Keep it up! [but please stop the delusional ramblings and your obsession with the triple V]

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 09:26:12 AM »
Vince, when you make posts like this you are amongst the best members of Getbig. You were fortunate enough to live in the silver age of bodybuilding [Dorian's era was the golden age], and its great to hear your stories. Keep it up! [but please stop the delusional ramblings and your obsession with the triple V]
Dorian Y was the golden age? eeeh??

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 09:30:43 AM »

I guess Arnold and co. have gone platinum!! ;D

D_1000

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 10:01:22 AM »
Dorian Y was the golden age? eeeh??

Yates, Dillett, Levrone, Labrada, Ray, Cormier, Wheeler, Newman, Sonbaty and a few others.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 10:11:12 AM »
Disappointing how little acknowledgement there is of realities like Zane mentioned vs. widely accepted revisionist BB history. Columbu never deserved the Olympia even in '76 when he was better. Many great & deserving BBs have been robbed.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 10:16:00 AM »
Yates, Dillett, Levrone, Labrada, Ray, Cormier, Wheeler, Newman, Sonbaty and a few others.

ok ::)

guess Arnold, Lui, Serge, Ken, Katz and so many others never existed... do you want me to explain to you what "golden age" means?

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 10:24:27 AM »
Mars I am helping you, but the girls I post will be a bit more classy. No nudes.

What's the point of trying to hijack the thread with this crap? At least show some real ones.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 02:45:30 AM »
I thought about what Frank said re going to Arnold for 'advices'. Apparently many of the guys went to get Arnold's opinion of how they looked before contests. Frank did that before the 80 Olympia that Arnold insisted he wasn't training for. Frank believed Arnold. Gosh, didn't Pumping Iron teach up not to trust Arnold? I certainly don't trust that guy. Seems to me Frank was a bit naive here. He said he always did what he felt was the best thing to do and didn't care about what anyone else was doing or said. I guess going to Arnold was not that sensible. Had Frank not competed after he injured himself in 1980 he could have enterred in 81 when Franco was given a gift as Bob Chick would say. Perhaps the history of the Olympia would be quite different.

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 02:57:29 AM »
"Safety Fat"

Who the hell wears a sweater vest in the gym ???
I

D_1000

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2007, 02:11:11 PM »
ok ::)

guess Arnold, Lui, Serge, Ken, Katz and so many others never existed... do you want me to explain to you what "golden age" means?

No need. Katz, Ken and others can't hold up against Yates, Ray, Levrone and Co.

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2007, 02:38:48 PM »
I'll comment on 1 thing.  IF Frank had showed up at the 81 olympia or Metzer or Coe or anyone that didn't becuae of the 1980 debacle they all woulda lost to Franco.  Not cause Franco was the best guy onstage cause he wasn't but cause Arnold NEVER would have let Wieder let Franco loose.  81 was worse than 80 or 01 or 97 IMO.  These pics speak volumes:
nasser=piece of shit

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2007, 02:41:15 PM »
Danny should be given a Sandow for that debacle!

Big N

• Getbig V
  • Veteran Fella
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2007, 02:45:53 PM »
I guess Arnold and co. have gone platinum!! ;D

"4 sho"
lol
#

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2007, 02:46:34 PM »
just look at the difference in quads there  :o :o
nasser=piece of shit

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2007, 02:47:56 PM »
Padilla's muscles looked full, Culumbu's didn't.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2007, 02:58:09 PM »
I should have said middle deltoids.