Author Topic: Got pus?  (Read 2331 times)

freakfestMD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Got pus?
« on: May 07, 2007, 11:31:17 AM »
Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Last Monday's shot (500mg test sust with 250mg deca)--went in fine.  Just as obsessive-compulsive about sterility as always.  Shot didn't hurt at all, nothing unusual, no bleeding, upper outer thigh.

Next day, it hurt, but the usual amount after sust.  Pain went completely away with Advil, but returned when it wore off.

Wednesday, I noticed it hurt alot more, and I thought my thigh looked a little bit swollen.  I took Advil a few times, but it wasn't helping and I started to feel like crap, feverish.  At the end of the workday, I checked the injection site, and noticed I was getting some cellulitis.  "Oh shit...my turn..."

One good thing about being a doc--I called in a prescription for high-dose Keflex.  I started it that night, but as the night went on it got worse and worse--could barely walk the next day.  I was in the OR all day, but kept scrubbing out every 6 hours to check my thigh and take my Keflex.  Advil wasn't helping.  I traced out the margins of the cellulitis with a pen so I could track it, and it got worse as the day went on.

Friday morning, I thought I felt a little bit better--certainly not worse.  I stopped the Advil so I could keep a handle on whether or not the pain was getting worse.  By the evening, I definitely noted some improvement, and by Saturday morning, things had improved substantially.

I was able to train legs hard this morning, but I'll run the Keflex out for another few days.

Lucky bastard.

I think I would add Keflex to the list of meds you should probably have on hand when you start a cycle (like Nolva).  I have no doubt that if I had not started that as soon as I did, that I would be looking down at a large packing-filled cavity in my thigh by now.   

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
Re: Got pus?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 11:39:14 AM »
I think I would add Keflex to the list of meds you should probably have on hand when you start a cycle (like Nolva).

I think you should give us all a script for it.  ;)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 11:42:34 AM »
Close call doc, I'm glad all is well.

i haven't had anything happen yet but i have Penicillin and Amoxicillin just in case.

i don't have access to Keflex unfortunately.

Good luck.

8)

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 11:49:48 AM »
Actually freak that was a very close call & I'm glad to hear you're ok now. I've taken Keflex before & it tore my stomach up.  :-X

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 04:54:13 AM »
I have had this too and it presents itself as an infection, swollen, red, warm (no fever though, did you take your temp freak?) but is not.  I had a nurse friend look at it once and she freaked telling me I needed to go to the ER and get some antibiotics.  It looks just like celutitus so I can see why they would come to that conclusion.

Thing is I think more than anything it is a reaction to the BA in the gear. Clears up in a few days sometimes taking 2 weeks for the pain and swelling to fully subside.  If this only happens once a year or so the course of antibiotics will not be a problem, but if it happens more often you cant throw antibiotics at it each time.

freakfestMD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 08:30:00 AM »
I have had this too and it presents itself as an infection, swollen, red, warm (no fever though, did you take your temp freak?) but is not.  I had a nurse friend look at it once and she freaked telling me I needed to go to the ER and get some antibiotics.  It looks just like celutitus so I can see why they would come to that conclusion.

Thing is I think more than anything it is a reaction to the BA in the gear. Clears up in a few days sometimes taking 2 weeks for the pain and swelling to fully subside.  If this only happens once a year or so the course of antibiotics will not be a problem, but if it happens more often you cant throw antibiotics at it each time.

Not sure.  Same gear I've been using each time, though.  I know the pain from a high BA injection, but this was diffierent. Pattern of erythematous distribution was also very much cellulitic, even with some areas of "skip lesions."  I didn't take my temp but I was burning up, and felt generally like crap.  Also, I think the main point here was that it continued to progress rather than get better.  Not sure I would have taken a chance and given it the benefit of the doubt in this particular case.

I'll be happy if that never happens again, though, I'll tell you that much.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 09:26:35 AM »
Is Keflex best used for both Abcess and cellulitis?

8)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 01:42:30 PM »
Not sure.  Same gear I've been using each time, though.  I know the pain from a high BA injection, but this was diffierent. Pattern of erythematous distribution was also very much cellulitic, even with some areas of "skip lesions."  I didn't take my temp but I was burning up, and felt generally like crap.  Also, I think the main point here was that it continued to progress rather than get better.  Not sure I would have taken a chance and given it the benefit of the doubt in this particular case.

I'll be happy if that never happens again, though, I'll tell you that much.

Yep Freak thats the way I look at it too, if it dont start trending in the right direction in a couple days, time to get it looked at or start the meds, like you did.

4thAD

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 01:54:51 PM »
Freak what is it that you think caused the infection? Did you somehow compromise sterility? Being a doctor I couldn't imagine this is the case. Im just very curious because Ive known guys who are careless when it comes to injection and never get infections, and I know guys who would never break the rules of sterility and get infected. So far I have been very lucky though I am very cautious. Curious to hear your opinion on this!

Birdman

• Getbig III
  • Pump Til You Puke!
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 04:01:20 PM »
I've taken Keflex before & it tore my stomach up.  :-X

I had the same problem, but I actually had an abcess so I had to stay on it.

freakfestMD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 06:19:48 AM »
Freak what is it that you think caused the infection? Did you somehow compromise sterility? Being a doctor I couldn't imagine this is the case. Im just very curious because Ive known guys who are careless when it comes to injection and never get infections, and I know guys who would never break the rules of sterility and get infected. So far I have been very lucky though I am very cautious. Curious to hear your opinion on this!

Not sure 4thAD.

I'm absolutely anal about sterility.  I wipe down the ampules and I wipe down the top of the multi-dose vial with a sterile gauze soaked in alcohol.  Once I wipe the ampule, I don't touch the neck of it, only the base while I use my top cutter.  I set the amps (2) into a special holder so I don't touch them again.  I use a fresh 18g needle, first into the multi-dose vial, then into the ampules.  I switch to a new 23g for the shot, and I cleanse the injection area with a sterile gauze pad soaked in alcohol.

It was towards the end of the multi-dose vial (I only had 1 more injection to go after that), so I wondered if the repeated passes into the vial over the past month could have contaminated it.  I discarded it with about 500mg deca still in it :'( so as not to chance it again.

freakfestMD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 06:23:42 AM »
Is Keflex best used for both Abcess and cellulitis?

8)

The keflex was to treat the cellulitis (a superficial infiltration of bacteria in the dermis) and to treat the local infection.

An abcess implies that the infection has been allowed to progress, and is now essentially "walled off" from your own white blood cells, as well as antibiotics.  Abcesses REQUIRE drainage.  You might get away with a needle aspiration (something I thought I may actually try had it progressed to that) but ideally abcesses should be surgically drained.

The key is not to let it progress to that point

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 03:19:46 PM »
The keflex was to treat the cellulitis (a superficial infiltration of bacteria in the dermis) and to treat the local infection.

An abcess implies that the infection has been allowed to progress, and is now essentially "walled off" from your own white blood cells, as well as antibiotics.  Abcesses REQUIRE drainage.  You might get away with a needle aspiration (something I thought I may actually try had it progressed to that) but ideally abcesses should be surgically drained.

The key is not to let it progress to that point

Is Augmentin not a good choice for this type of thing if it's available?

Do you have any idea if some people may be less susceptible to infection like this?
Some of the stuff Ive seen people eat and drink in my travels blows my mind.
Also, Kids happily swimming in water that quickly turned my skin to a nasty red rash on short contact. (Wave over the side of boat in Bangkok canal)  I don't know how they can do it.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 05:23:06 PM »
Is Augmentin not a good choice for this type of thing if it's available?

Do you have any idea if some people may be less susceptible to infection like this?
Some of the stuff Ive seen people eat and drink in my travels blows my mind.
Also, Kids happily swimming in water that quickly turned my skin to a nasty red rash on short contact. (Wave over the side of boat in Bangkok canal)  I don't know how they can do it.

Augmentin is a fine choice for celulitus and infections of the skin. penicilian or amoxicilian would also be good choices.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 05:38:29 PM »
Augmentin is a fine choice for celulitus and infections of the skin. penicilian or amoxicilian would also be good choices.

Thanks Luv.   You mentioned Test bothers your prostrate condition more so than other stuff? I know you like some Oxys, and was kind of wondering if they or anything in particular seems worse? I have checkups
every year or so and everything been fine with that, just curious what seems most problematic.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 06:17:43 PM »
Thanks Luv.   You mentioned Test bothers your prostrate condition more so than other stuff? I know you like some Oxys, and was kind of wondering if they or anything in particular seems worse? I have checkups
every year or so and everything been fine with that, just curious what seems most problematic.

I think it's pretty much the test that causes me problems.  If I keep the test dose around 500-750mg EW it does not cause too much enlargement, but more than that and I can feel it.  The a-bombs could contribute but I usually only do them once a year and with plenty of test so its hard to say how they effect me by themselves.

Recently I was switching from test prop over to test cyp.  I did the prop for about 14 weeks 150mg EOD while I prepped for the show I did last month.  Well in switching over I needed to run both the prop and the cyp at the same time, cause the prop would have cleared my system in less than a week and it was gonna take about 2-3 weeks to get the cyp going in me.  Well after about 10 days or so I think they both started to work and that is a decent amount of test. 150mg prop EOD and was doing the cyp 250 mg EOD too!  I was probally at about 1500mg a week!  That amount blows up my prostate big time. Now i plan on just running a HRT type dose of test(500mg EW) for a while, which I feel good with.  A nice little "break" before hitting it again.

!@#$%

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 02:42:16 PM »

So you're saying that if there is no fever then it is just a reaction to the BA in the gear? Could you get back to me on this?

I'm sitting here wondering if I should go to the hospital. My left delt is red, swollen and sore from a shot two days ago.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2007, 03:33:55 PM »
So you're saying that if there is no fever then it is just a reaction to the BA in the gear? Could you get back to me on this?

I'm sitting here wondering if I should go to the hospital. My left delt is red, swollen and sore from a shot two days ago.

No fever? It took me 2+ weeks recently for a quad shot to give up the same list of symptoms you have. The red was a
large area (like a hard slap) Not a smaller localized start up of infection that grows. I had  NO FEVER. I felt  fine except for the localized pain. (Hurt Bad) It went away. If I had a fever - I'd been straight for the Dr.
I Prolly nicked something. Your body your call.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2007, 07:05:38 PM »

What trab said is one of the best things I have ever read on here "Your body your call" Its true. 

For me I can tell whats going on in my body and would feel very uncomfortable advising you on matters that effect your health like that from a computer screen.  In my experience that is how it plays out, but I cant see you or feel it.  In my case lots of people would say your nuts, the area has gotten swollen like a baseball and red and I could hardly walk, I was almost crying as I looked at my dog who needed to be walked and thinking about the pain of just putting on my socks and shoes, very hard to just lift my leg or put my pants on. But after 2-3 days I could feel it geting better little by little.  If in a few days if it does not feel like it is getting better, and feels like its getting worse then you may wanna see the doctor.  Like the guys said you will probally start to feel sick.  Look for a red line also, if you see that run do not walk to the ER. 

See aint steroids fun?