Author Topic: my dog has problem with cats  (Read 5792 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Re: my dog has problem with cats
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2007, 06:06:08 AM »
I had a white samoyed 20 years ago, that hung itself by it's collar.  She was only a puppy.  I don't use collars anymore either and Rocky goes naked indoors too!

If I only had one dog, I might keep a collar on, but the way Addie and Briona go at it it is just too dangerous.   

Sorry about your puppy.   :(  I have heard stories like that.   Actually when I just had Bri I never really kept a collar on her because I was worried she'd get it stuck on the fence or something.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2007, 08:56:28 AM »
Our dog is naked pretty much 99% of the time except for when he's taken on a walk.....then he has one of those massive pinch collars

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2007, 08:59:21 AM »
Our dog is naked pretty much 99% of the time except for when he's taken on a walk.....then he has one of those massive pinch collars
Ouch!
:D Weee

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2007, 09:27:18 AM »

Just the other day I came across this article on prong collars.  I am thinking of trying it again on Briona and maybe Addie based on how this article explains how to use them as a training tool.  The thing with Briona is she has very thick fur, and the prong collar in the past didn't seem to phase her at all, maybe the positioning of it will make a difference.  I am not a fan of choke chains though.  Unless the dog is very obedient, they can do more damage than good.  I do use Martingale or 1/2 choke collars, they only have chain that tightens where the leash attaches, around the throat is nylon, less damaging that a chain on your throat.

http://www.flyingdogpress.com/prong.html

and from the same site, Selecting training equipment:

http://www.flyingdogpress.com/equip.html

List of articles, check out the "He just wants to say Hi" one:

http://www.flyingdogpress.com/artlibreg.htm

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2007, 10:08:05 AM »
Honestly...this is the first time I ever had a dog with a pinch collar.  The g/f was trained with them so it was something I had to learn.  I am told...positioning is everything.  I also watched the breeder when she used them & everytime or everychance she had, she adjusted the collar for correct positioning.  I guess it has to also "fit" correctly.  It can't be too tight...but it can't be too loose.  It shouldn't be too loose where it slips out of position & requiring constant adjustments.  It's supposed to sit high on the neck & the slide should be centered on the top of the neck.  The dog can't be "pulled" to be corrected or pulled on the leash to lift his head.  It's supposed to be performed with "quick" tugs or snaps on the leash.  Once the dog is on the collar & used to it's responses....you very seldomly ever have to make correctments.

I walked him for about 2 miles yesterday & can't recall but maybe once or twice to make a correctment & it was only because he had his nose into something & was about ready to 'eat' something.  He's also one of the first dogs I've ever had that does not pull....at all.....well....except when he see's a cat - lol.  He just wants to go over & lick them - lol

I can remember the first time the pup was corrected on the collar...he yelped.

The breeder (not being the pups owner) wasn't worried about hurting the little guy.  What I mean is...sometimes we have a habit of pampering the baby.  She was trying to get him to respond during commands & although he yelped & whimpered...amazingly... it was the only time.  Ever since then he respected that collar & who had the leash and follows commands very well...better than I ever seen a dog on a chocker. 

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2007, 04:07:28 AM »
look my dog listens to me all the time, except with cats. expecially when he is not on a chaine. when see sits in the garden, and the cats are near the fence, eh goes crazy, thenhe doesnt listen, or sees the treat. its like he forgets about everything, and just wants to grab the cat.

In many dogs the instinct to hunt is huge.  Hunting dogs will usually see cats as prey or a threat.  I have seen dogs just tear into cats right away.  I would not let your dog get near cats cause you are right he will probally kill it.  What usually happens is the dog comes up hard at the cat, the cat swipes at the dog and then its on.  usually ends with the cat in the dogs mouth being shaken to death.  Im sure this instinct is very strong in many dogs I have seen it first hand.  Might be the cannine trait to hunt and protect.  Not all dogs seem to have these or other typical traits, I have seen Labs who could care less about retreiving, pointers who dont point or hunt.  BUT there are other labs and pointers who do that stuff like their lives depend on it.  For the record Im anti-hunting.

With that said I did see The Dog Whisperer guy, Ceasar M.  Teach a dog who wanted to tear up a pet rabbit to be nice to it, so maybe with the right training this can be controlled to some degree?

Must be where the saying "Fighting like cats and dogs" came from.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2007, 06:45:57 PM »
  My cat is terrified of Dogs.I took her to my parents the other day.They have a female lahsa that wouldn't hurt a flea...she loves everything and everyone.Hell,she tried to make friends with the kitty and the kitty just said "HIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSS"   LOL