Author Topic: Republican considers calling for troop withdrawal  (Read 1107 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Republican considers calling for troop withdrawal
« on: May 08, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »

Collins, above, may consider calling for a troop withdrawal, she told CNN Tuesday.
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, told CNN Tuesday she will consider calling for troops to be withdrawn from Iraq if sufficient progress has not been made in the country by September -- the next time the top U.S. commander in Iraq, Gen. David Petraeus, returns to Capitol Hill to update Congress.

This is the first time Collins, a moderate who is bracing for a tough re-election fight next year, has suggested she might call for a troop withdrawal in the coming months.

"I do believe there comes a point in September where if it's evident that the new strategy is not successful and will not succeed we do have to change course and that means looking for all options, including a plan for withdrawing troops," Collins said.

Collins has been critical of the war in the past, but has resisted timetables for withdrawal. She is a top Democratic target in 2008 and two anti-war groups have already started running ads against her.

Any withdrawal would be "gradual but significant," she added Tuesday.

-- CNN's Dana Bash and Ted Barrett

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
Re: Republican considers calling for troop withdrawal
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 08:50:10 PM »
Republicans suck donkey dick.  :)

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 09:28:21 PM »
Republicans suck donkey dick.  :)

Liberals=surrender

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 09:36:12 PM »
we're in Iraq for the next 8 to 10 years.

these repubs want reelected in 2008 and feel they're more likely to win (in an environment where over 70% of people are against the war) by poo-pooing the war.

The Enigma

• Getbig IV
  • Porsche 911 Turbo Carerra. My reality, your dream.
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 03:24:37 AM »

egj13

• Getbig III
  • Got life by the balls
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 05:20:56 AM »

Collins, above, may consider calling for a troop withdrawal, she told CNN Tuesday.
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, told CNN Tuesday she will consider calling for troops to be withdrawn from Iraq if sufficient progress has not been made in the country by September -- the next time the top U.S. commander in Iraq, Gen. David Petraeus, returns to Capitol Hill to update Congress.

This is the first time Collins, a moderate who is bracing for a tough re-election fight next year, has suggested she might call for a troop withdrawal in the coming months.

"I do believe there comes a point in September where if it's evident that the new strategy is not successful and will not succeed we do have to change course and that means looking for all options, including a plan for withdrawing troops," Collins said.

Collins has been critical of the war in the past, but has resisted timetables for withdrawal. She is a top Democratic target in 2008 and two anti-war groups have already started running ads against her.

Any withdrawal would be "gradual but significant," she added Tuesday.

-- CNN's Dana Bash and Ted Barrett

Even Petreus and Bush have said pretty much the same thing. Give the surge until september and then make a decision. Collins isn't really a conservative anyway. She tends to be towards the middle, so does Snowe the other from ME.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 06:17:04 AM »
Even Petreus and Bush have said pretty much the same thing. Give the surge until september and then make a decision. Collins isn't really a conservative anyway. She tends to be towards the middle, so does Snowe the other from ME.

LOL>.. it's so funny.  The surge is nothing more than another 9 month stall.  I watch the news all day, every day.  They've been pulling these 6-9 month stalls repeatedly since 2004.  ANd people have goldfish memories, so they support them.  Each time, it's the same thing - "We have a new general and a new plan now, and you need to see if it works". 

HA.  Fuck em.  If you're stupid enough to enlist, then by all means, go fight the war with your hardon for trigger time.  War's about oil and setting up bases.  If support the war, but you don't have the fvcking balls to admit it, you're not a real man.  You're a coward hiding behind shallow excuses so you can grow old thinking you're not a bad person.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 06:44:41 AM »
Nothing said here by her that doesn't sound reasonable or anything even LG Petreus didn't think before he left.
L

egj13

• Getbig III
  • Got life by the balls
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 07:51:36 AM »
If support the war, but you don't have the fvcking balls to admit it, you're not a real man.  You're a coward hiding behind shallow excuses so you can grow old thinking you're not a bad person.

Is this directed at me?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 10:01:21 AM »
If support the war, but you don't have the fvcking balls to admit it, you're not a real man.  You're a coward hiding behind shallow excuses so you can grow old thinking you're not a bad person.

Is this directed at me?

Nope.  A few others here who support the war but won't admit it's about oil or position - they only say "WMD" and "spread democracy!"

What's your position on it?

egj13

• Getbig III
  • Got life by the balls
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 10:15:36 AM »
Nope.  A few others here who support the war but won't admit it's about oil or position - they only say "WMD" and "spread democracy!"

What's your position on it?

I supported the original war, I didn't think it would turn into what it is now and don't like how it is going especially since I will be going back in January (if not sooner). I know the war has oil issues tied to it but don't think that is the big picture. I think national security is the main reason we went, but in order to have national security we need some sort of peace in that region and we need oil to keep our machine running. So I would say spread democracy is the main objective but it can't be done without oil supplies. As far as WMD, I am not concerned we didn't find it. The whole world thought he had it, but regardless, he couldn't be allowed to keep thumbing his nose at us.

and that's all I got to say about that