Author Topic: Boxing is Dead.....  (Read 3153 times)

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
Boxing is Dead.....
« on: May 09, 2007, 05:42:43 PM »
 ::)

De La Hoya-Mayweather Richest Fight Ever

LAS VEGAS - Turns out the obituaries written for boxing were a bit premature. Oscar De La Hoya's fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr. set a record for most televised buys for a fight, according to figures released Wednesday, surpassing Mike Tyson's second fight with Evander Holyfield and making it boxing's richest event.

A total of 2.15 million households paid $54.95 for the fight, generating revenue of $120 million. The previous record set by Tyson-Holyfield was 1.99 million buys.

"This puts to bed this theory of boxing being in trouble, or being dead or dying," said Ross Greenburg, head of HBO Sports. "This fight would have never materialized if boxing was dying."

A person close to the promotion said De La Hoya would end up making about $45 million for the fight and Mayweather just over $20 million. That person requested anonymity because the promoters did not want official figures released.

The $45 million would be the biggest purse paid to a fighter, higher than the $35 million purses Tyson and Holyfield reportedly were paid for the infamous "Bite Fight."

Mayweather beat De La Hoya on a split decision Saturday night in an entertaining fight that drew a record live gate of $19 million at the MGM Grand Garden arena. Mayweather won on two of the three ringside scorecards to win the WBC 154-pound title.

The fight will be replayed Saturday at 10 p.m. EDT.

Greenburg credited the success of the network's "24/7" reality show that ran in a coveted Sunday night slot behind the "Sopranos" and "Entourage" for three weeks leading up to the fight with helping sell both the public and the media on its worth.

Mayweather and his dysfunctional family, including his estranged father, Floyd Sr., and his trainer and uncle, Roger, became the stars of the show, allowing non-boxing fans a glimpse into the life of the fighter.

"The series was not only well received by the American public, who were suddenly attracted in a very human way to these two fighters, but it allowed the media to cover the fight in more depth," Greenburg said. "They were able to dive deeper into the backgrounds of both fighters."

The reality show concept never had been done among top fighters in boxing, but a similar series on the Spike network was credited with making Ultimate Fighting Championship mixed-martial arts fighters popular.

Greenburg said the 2.15 million buys have to be multiplied because most people who bought the fight invited others over to watch. Multiplied by five fans or more a household, the fight likely was seen live by well over 10 million people, he said.

"I'm not going to say that boxing was thriving, but it was thriving on our network," Greenburg said. "I think we were losing the average sports fans, but this proves if you do the right names and the right matches you can win the average fan back."

The huge success and competitive nature of the fight also brings up the possibility of a rematch.

"You can't generate this kind of revenue and think the two fighters wouldn't want to do it again," Greenburg said. "I haven't heard from Oscar, so I don't know. You never know in boxing."
Click here to find out more!

$

body88

Re: Boxing is Dead.....
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 07:51:32 PM »

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 07:56:52 PM »
Snore!  Boxing died when Mike Tyson lost his mind.  The sport has been in the toilet ever since.  He was the last truly great draw IMO.  Sad.   :'(

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 08:13:21 PM »
the next 20 boxing fights on pay per view won't have as many buys

E
E

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 04:05:48 AM »
Funny how they compare the PPV numbers from a fight that was like 10yrs ago to one now, so many more people have the equipment in their house to purchase the fight then back then therefore it's obvious that more people are likely to order it. Now if you go by the average number of households with the equipment who ordered I think you would notice a big difference. It's just like in hockey how they change the rules for higher scoring and make a big deal about someones numbers compared to guys who played years ago. Moster attempts to hype up something that's not hype worthy.
I

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 08:24:23 AM »
I'm not bashing anybody elses favorite things. I'm just saying something can't be dead if it's pulling in that kind of cash.
$

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 08:49:44 AM »
Boxing is not dead. It still generates big bucks when it comes to PPV.

I'm still a fan and I'll always tune into a fight card on either HBO or Showtime every chance I get.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 09:56:42 AM »

I'm still a fan and I'll always tune into a fight card on either HBO or Showtime every chance I get.

I agree.  I like UFC also.  I don't get people who align themselves with one or the other.  It's like saying, I don't watch football because I like basketball.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 10:08:04 AM »
I agree.  I like UFC also.  I don't get people who align themselves with one or the other.  It's like saying, I don't watch football because I like basketball.

Nothing to do with an overlap; boxing is dead except for occasional good fights.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 10:40:49 AM »

I can't even name one of the heavyweight division champs, and I used to be a huge fight fan.   

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 11:44:03 AM »
The action's in the lower weight divisions, obviously but I agree about the sad state of the heavyweight division. When Vladimir Klitschko is the guy going for the undisputed title, then you know boxing's seen better days.

body88

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 01:07:34 PM »
I am a casual fan of both boxing and mma. From a casual fans point of view mma is the better entertainment of the two. Just my opinion. I dont thin kboxing is dead tho. Like bb said you cant make that kinda cash when the sport is dead.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 08:24:18 PM »
Like bb said you cant make that kinda cash when the sport is dead.

it's dead because this fight didn't live up to the hype and there is no fighter currently on the scene than can get half of the buys this fight got

oscar is about done, floyd says he's done and the casual fan never cared about him to begin with

there was a time just 10 years ago when EVERYBODY knew who the heavyweight champ was

if any of them walked by people on the street they would hardly be recognized today

rest in peace
boxing

E
E

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 08:17:11 AM »
I am a casual fan of both boxing and mma. From a casual fans point of view mma is the better entertainment of the two. Just my opinion. I dont thin kboxing is dead tho. Like bb said you cant make that kinda cash when the sport is dead.

Three boxing gyms opened up in a 10 mile square radius near me in the past year or so.  I don't believe it to be dead at all.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 08:29:44 AM »
Three boxing gyms opened up in a 10 mile square radius near me in the past year or so.  I don't believe it to be dead at all.

There's some hair-splitting here; whether it's dead or just off the radar most of the time it's still unimpressive. Nor do gym openings equate to consistent product and revenue dollars in terms of big-time sports; boxing's become popular as a form of conditioning, not necessarily large sources of new boxing talent.

Boxing doesn't at present have the ability to generate consistent serious media exposure; occasional one-time bouts that generate interest hardly suggests it's thriving or even doing ok, whether you want to define it as dead or use another word.

I think the regular MMA bouts are fairly similar to the consistency boxing used to offer in the 40s and 50s on radio and TV in terms of lots of good fights easily seen on a regular basis.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 08:33:48 AM »
w

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 08:38:38 AM »
The hell with you bitches.....

I love the sport of boxing. And it will never go away. And it will never die. So piss on it all you want, haters.

It's not going away anytime soon.

Sorry. :'(

Baby_Hercules

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • myspace.com/babyhercules1914
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 08:40:30 AM »
I know if its been mentioned, as I havn'e taken the time to read this entire thread, but I believe part of the problem of boxing losing its following is the advent of Pay-per-view. There used to be a time when the biggest names in boxing could be seen on regular TV (NBC,CBS, ABC, etc...) Now to watch the best fights you have to pay upwards of $50. :-\

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2007, 08:49:35 AM »
The next great heavyweight will come along in the next few years and it all will change again.  Boxing is older than the U.S. itself and historically has had periods of years, even decades where it lulled (or was in danger of being banned).  The sport has always reemerged and will again.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2007, 09:02:41 AM »
The next great heavyweight will come along in the next few years and it all will change again.  Boxing is older than the U.S. itself and historically has had periods of years, even decades where it lulled (or was in danger of being banned).  The sport has always reemerged and will again.

It will take more than one to keep it going. There will have to be several good or greats to make it happen, just as was the case in the 60s-70s.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2007, 10:21:58 AM »

It's possible.  One great fighter can capture the public's attention, like Tyson in his prime. 

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2007, 11:03:00 AM »
It's possible.  One great fighter can capture the public's attention, like Tyson in his prime. 
Not for long; competition's needed to keep it interesting.

body88

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2007, 11:25:02 AM »

Boxing is really catching on with the general public as the hip new way to do cardio. I do not think it is dead, however I do think mma is the future. I am far from an expert on boxing, this is just a casual fans observation.

My gym is crawling with mma "fighters". Seems like everyone is into that now.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2007, 11:41:59 AM »
Boxing is really catching on with the general public as the hip new way to do cardio. I do not think it is dead, however I do think mma is the future. I am far from an expert on boxing, this is just a casual fans observation.

Exactly; new gyms doesn't necessarily mean continued proffessional use.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2007, 11:56:56 AM »
Not for long; competition's needed to keep it interesting.

Yes competition keeps things interesting, but one person or one great team can be a huge draw.  Tyson really had no competition in his prime, yet he was all over the media.  He was doing commercials and was a media darling (till he started opening his mouth). 

We've also had examples of one dominant player or team creating a big buzz, like Jordan and the Bulls in the 90s.