Author Topic: CAN YOU PROVE YOU'RE WHAT YOU SAY YOU ARE??? I CAN.  (Read 12077 times)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Re: CAN YOU PROVE YOU'RE WHAT YOU SAY YOU ARE??? I CAN.
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2007, 10:40:36 PM »
Pulling guard is a shitty way to take someone down if thats what you mean. I would avoid that at all cost.  If your not a wrestler or never trained wrestling intensively i wouldnt try and shoot for a double leg or anything like that. Get clinch control and go for a throw or trip.

If it's a good wrestler, you're not gonna get clinch control and you might end up getting dumped on your head.

IMO, your best bet is to concede the takedown and work from the guard.

vikingpower

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2007, 11:03:10 PM »
this is true ... in addition to my freestyle skillz being mediocre at best, the guys i wrestle with are usually 30-40lbs bigger ... so i would rahter have them deal with my rubber guard than drive my head into the matt :D

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2007, 12:48:16 AM »
if its a good sprawl you wont be sitting out there nog :D

Looks like you'd have good mission control.   ;D

Nathan

• Getbig III
  • 5'11 185 lbs
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2007, 09:47:40 AM »
Hey everyone long time no see decided to drop by Getbig to see wats up!
Saw this thread and posted a clip. I'm mostly a stand up guy so do the math ;)

One of my Sparring sessions

P

vikingpower

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2007, 10:13:14 AM »
Looks like you'd have good mission control.   ;D

i love it when people shoot on me cause my fav counter is to step over their back and roll into armbar

either that or i go for a fun little ride to the matt :D

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2007, 11:34:18 AM »
Nathan,

is that u in that vid hitting the bag like that, wtf are you trying to do? I checked the other videos that had ur name on them.

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2007, 12:53:19 PM »
how long did it take to get your 3rd dan? 5 years to get to black, then how long between grades?
Scouser on Tour

vikingpower

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2007, 04:16:15 PM »
Hey everyone long time no see decided to drop by Getbig to see wats up!
Saw this thread and posted a clip. I'm mostly a stand up guy so do the math ;)

One of my Sparring sessions

have you had any coaching in your standup or grappling?

not to be a dick, but i suggest if the answer is no you look into it ... and if the answer is yes, change your stand up coach immediately

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2007, 08:23:25 PM »
how long did it take to get your 3rd dan? 5 years to get to black, then how long between grades?

I attained the rank of Yudansha roughly 1 1/2 years after brown belt.
TEAM REPTILIAN

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2007, 08:45:46 AM »
call me a purist, but im a believer in that you shouldnt go for black belt for a minimum 3 years after getting to brown. Sensei Kawasoe is not impressed if you dont have atleast 5 years training in prep for your shodan, infact sensei wont even put you forward unless you have near 3 years training as a brown.
Scouser on Tour

Nathan

• Getbig III
  • 5'11 185 lbs
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2007, 11:32:39 AM »
have you had any coaching in your standup or grappling?

not to be a dick, but i suggest if the answer is no you look into it ... and if the answer is yes, change your stand up coach immediately

Don't really have a coach, I'm not lookin to be a UFC star. All I know is PPL throw shit at me I move, and when I hit em back they fall down in 1-2 punches. I'm only like 2 weeks into BJJ in those clips I've never been put on the ground in street fight. Mostly I learned what I know from getting jumped on the way to school, when I was a kid. I ushally punch some one in the throat or chest cavity, if they give me a hard time. After I front kick em in the knee. I've droped Black belts a few times and I was in Karate a long time ago and 1 week in droped the teacher in 1 punch to the chest, so I don't have a high regard for it. Most of the PPL I hang with that I wouldnt mess with are Tai Boxsers. I havent knowen any Karate PPL who are though at all. So from my perspective BlackBelt means nothing.
IMHO it's also better to be a good puncher, than a good kicker.
Me hitting the bag was just fooling around lol I'll post  some more technique oriented drill shit later. But If u diss u better be posting clips, you're self or it dont mean anything ;)
P

vikingpower

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2007, 11:54:38 AM »
you would get knocked out in under 30 seconds by just about anybody with more than 1 month actual training because:

you throw with your hands at mid chest level(ie you dont cover your chin)

your punches have no precision(ie you throw haymakers)

despite the fact you throw haymakers, you have zero power (ie you dont know how to put any hip/bodyweight into your punches)

you have no sense of balance

you winded yourself almost instantly(so you have no gas tank and no concept us letting your bodyweight do the work for you ... too tense)

and i wouldnt imagine you dont know anything about footwork, distance, timing etc

youre wrestling actually isnt that bad for someone with 2 weeks experience, but again you dont know anythign about positioning, takedowns, and the guy you were tapping was even more of a chump

take my advice, seek out proper schooling and drop the thug attitude cause it makes you look like a fool

i posted my vids on a thread  called vids of me wrestling

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2007, 12:29:47 PM »
I guess on the street haymakers are the norm but anyone with any training knows they are typically inefective against someone who knows how to defend and move.  I dont make vids of me training, but i wasnt dissing you anyway.  I've done a few bjj tourneys did ok dont really care for them, won a kickboxing tournament in my weight class, thats my fight experience anyway. My next move is to mma or full contact muay thai. Although my ground game isnt bad im not big into getting pwned on by wrestlers in mma so we'll see where my training takes me. 

vikingpower

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2007, 01:28:47 PM »
when someone fears your takedown game haymakers (or at least less tight/morepowerful) striking can become quite effective ... i think fedor has shown that in his career and i would say randy v silvia is a good example as well

but those guys also know how to strike properly, and theats the diff between them and nathan ... they know when to use them

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2007, 02:02:28 PM »
they have more or less "accurate" haymakers, incredible amounts of power put in the right places although the punches are being thrown from waaaaay out. 

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2007, 08:16:23 PM »
call me a purist, but im a believer in that you shouldnt go for black belt for a minimum 3 years after getting to brown. Sensei Kawasoe is not impressed if you dont have atleast 5 years training in prep for your shodan, infact sensei wont even put you forward unless you have near 3 years training as a brown.

I trained under Trias. I doubt you know who that is.
TEAM REPTILIAN

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2007, 08:18:30 PM »
you would get knocked out in under 30 seconds by just about anybody with more than 1 month actual training because:

you winded yourself almost instantly(so you have no gas tank and no concept us letting your bodyweight do the work for you ... too tense)

That was the first problem I realised I had when I started BJJ. I would get a lot of guys in an advantageous position barely starting out, but by the time I was rolling with the third guy I was gassed.
TEAM REPTILIAN

vikingpower

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2007, 09:08:51 PM »
same thing happens to wrestlers when they arent used to banging ... people dont realize that ones "gas tank" is not only a matter of "vo2 max" (ie their bodies ability to get the orygen aroud ... its even more dependant on technique, that is your breathing, your ability to relax, and the actual movements one does ... if you saw my vids from the wrestling tournament, i had so much energy in my first 2 fights (only one was taped) but tired myself out by the time the third rolled around ... because i was muscling it too much

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2007, 09:50:39 PM »
same thing happens to wrestlers when they arent used to banging ... people dont realize that ones "gas tank" is not only a matter of "vo2 max" (ie their bodies ability to get the orygen aroud ... its even more dependant on technique, that is your breathing, your ability to relax, and the actual movements one does ... if you saw my vids from the wrestling tournament, i had so much energy in my first 2 fights (only one was taped) but tired myself out by the time the third rolled around ... because i was muscling it too much

Yep.

And the thing is, I was cocky coming in as a newbie putting yellow belts in kimuras. I had a rude awakening pretty soon. Muscling is exactly what I was doing. Also, I can put people in holds, but often I would forget how to finish it - restraining their body with my legs, etc. These are probably the two main problems people have starting with BJJ.

Depleting energy and not finishing holds.
TEAM REPTILIAN

Nathan

• Getbig III
  • 5'11 185 lbs
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2007, 12:53:52 AM »
you would get knocked out in under 30 seconds by just about anybody wit

Your missing one big point: I'm not beeing serious in the bag clip ie "I dont actually fight that way lol. Thanks for the advice tho and I dont have a thug attitude far, from it you just have filters on! I grew up in a bunch of bad nabour hoods so thats how I learned. I was also in amature boxing and had a 6 and 2 record and all my opponets had at least a year in. So there go's your 1 month hypothisis. I'd love to see a clip of you doing stand up you must be pritty good!
P

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2007, 03:58:01 AM »
Yep.

And the thing is, I was cocky coming in as a newbie putting yellow belts in kimuras. I had a rude awakening pretty soon. Muscling is exactly what I was doing. Also, I can put people in holds, but often I would forget how to finish it - restraining their body with my legs, etc. These are probably the two main problems people have starting with BJJ.

Depleting energy and not finishing holds.

WTH is a yellow belt.  At Relson's yellow belts are only awarded to the kids.  We have blue, purple, brown and black.  The best thing anyone can learn is to conserve energy when rolling.  Knowing when to exert, relax, will improve someones game dramatically.  When I roll with the young kids, particularly wrestlers, I let them burn themselves out, get dominant position, make them uncomfortable, then get whatever sub they give me. 

vikingpower

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2007, 06:56:34 AM »
"WTH is a yellow belt" .... he does karate, not bjj ... yellow is the first belt after white

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2007, 10:46:29 AM »
I trained under Trias. I doubt you know who that is.

Robert Trias? I personally dont know anything about the man but my dad has heard of him and says he is good at what he does.

BTW if you wanna talk trainers how is Frank Brennan, Masao Kawasoe and Keinosuke Enoeda for you. All legends, all world class and the best Shotokan has to offer. And if you have never heard any of those names before then you know nothing of Karate
Scouser on Tour

vikingpower

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2007, 10:47:57 AM »
i sense a karate fight coming up ... remember first one to touch the other wins because every shot is a death blow :D

RancherRanger

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2007, 10:55:44 AM »
I've been training for 5 months.  We only do no-gi, www.wordgroundfighting.c om  Josh Cardwell is my instructor!