Author Topic: 200 IQ and 500 bench we must get him to post here!  (Read 51068 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
I had a look at that CTMU and wasn't impressed. It is obvious he is not a philosopher but a clever guy using words. It remains to be seen if he will impact on knowledge. If he ventures into ID then he isn't as smart as he thinks he is.
I agree.

He is actually trying to steal Hawking`s work and use it in a pseudo-religious way.  Langan is wrong on a great deal of his pontifications when held up to Hawking`s works.

Very amusing this Langan is. He is a good comedian.

the Pure Majestic

• Getbig III
I agree.

He is actually trying to steal Hawking`s work and use it in a pseudo-religious way.  Langan is wrong on a great deal of his pontifications when held up to Hawking`s works.

You are outclassed here. 
Hawking's work is entirely different than Langan.  Hawking himself has stated this.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
And to SAMSON123: Have you ever thought about the fact that having an above average intelligence means that you have certain communication needs that normal people often can not help you fulfill?

People very interested in poker needs to communicate with other poker players, people with musical interests needs to communicate and play with other musicians.

People having a Mensa level intelligence can at times be pretty fucking lonely at times, because they live a lot of their life in their own heads with thoughts they can not discuss with normal people.

Thus, high IQ societies = a place where people with a special gift can meet and talk. It's not about being a cocky asshole, it's about having the chance to meet similar to yourself, and there is nothing wrong with that.

The D-Man makes some good points, but I've always viewed Mensa, and like organizations, with a bit of distaste. Intelligence is not something to be quantified, or a product to lord over other people (and those in Mensa are the first to shove it to the forefront of any conversation as if in warning) but something to be humbled by and respected. In that light, Mensa is like a middle-class social construct built in retaliation to the upper-classes' hermetic snobbishness and exclusionary policies -ie. if we can't belong to your club, we'll make our own and exclude others as we have been excluded. Sad. I live in close proximity to a superb uni and I bet a straw poll would show that most of the profs don't belong to such an organization, not do they care to.

CoolDuck

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
But don't you know Matt C??? If you have learning disabilities, dyslexia, blindness, or can't speak english;
you won't do well.

Thus the test are invalid.  ::)

Dyslexia will often affect test with verbal components, however, WAIS-III, the best current IQ-test, will help the clinician detect areas of high functioning. Especially when considered together with the anamnestic info.

CD

CoolDuck

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Your post is incorrect. It is frequently people with above and beyond normal IQ's upwards of 150 that have issues functioning in society...

This is a myth. The current reseach indicate that higher-IQ is statistically associated with higher social functioning, also very high IQs. However, there are people with social problems who have very high IQ, sure.

CD

CoolDuck

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
How does "verbal" ability have anything to do with intelligence? What definition of "intelligence" would include "verbal ability"? A lot of people are highly intelligent but not articulate.

Please read up on psychometry. See for instance Carrol's work: http://www.indiana.edu/~intell/carroll.shtml

Most intelligence reseachers would acknowlegde that a component of intelligence would be verbal skills (vocabulary, reasoning, certain arithmetic skills, abstract understanding). However, intelligence also is comprised by several non-verbal components.

CD

CoolDuck

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
hahahahahaa, they did a story on this clown on our local news here in St. Louis because the guy lives here in Missouri apparently, there is NO WAY IN HELL that this guy benched 500, i also don't believe that his IQ is anywhere near 200, i'd say maybe the 160's.

The most common IQ-scaling uses a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 15. This would render a number such as 200 almost meaningless. An IQ of 172 would be expected in about one in a million people.

The best IQ-test in use today is WAIS-III, and it doesn't even give you figures higher than 155.

Take a look at wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ

"Thus the modern version of the IQ is a mathematical transformation of a raw score (based on the rank of that score in a normalization sample; see quantile, percentile, percentile rank), which is the primary result of an IQ test. To differentiate the two scores, modern scores are sometimes referred to as "deviance IQ", while the age-specific scores are referred to as "ratio IQ". While the two methodologies yield similar results near the middle of the bell curve, the older ratio IQs yielded far higher scores for the intellectually gifted—Marilyn vos Savant appeared in the Guinness book of world records for obtaining a ratio IQ of 228. Such stratospheric numbers are not possible on the deviation IQ because a perfectly Gaussian curve defines the highest possible IQ within the United States (population 300 million) as between five and six standard deviations above the U.S. mean defined as 100. With a standard deviation of 15 this would produce a result of IQ175 to IQ180. .."

CD

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
The D-Man makes some good points, but I've always viewed Mensa, and like organizations, with a bit of distaste. Intelligence is not something to be quantified, or a product to lord over other people (and those in Mensa are the first to shove it to the forefront of any conversation as if in warning) but something to be humbled by and respected. In that light, Mensa is like a middle-class social construct built in retaliation to the upper-classes' hermetic snobbishness and exclusionary policies -ie. if we can't belong to your club, we'll make our own and exclude others as we have been excluded. Sad. I live in close proximity to a superb uni and I bet a straw poll would show that most of the profs don't belong to such an organization, not do they care to.

Debussey does agree that some people can view MENSA as a "superior society".

But it does serve a function, certain people = functions best within a special group, that MENSA and other societies provide.

Everything does have its place (like high IQ societies), and Debussey agrees 100% that everybody with above average intelligence should be humble about it and cherish their gift, while respecting other people as equals. No reason to brag about your IQ to other people, but there = no reason to avoid joining a special high IQ group either if you want to. (OK, this is the last serious comment from Debussey for a while :) )
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

Necrosis

• Getbig V
The thing that people don't understand is how the "severly gifted" can struggle to converse with normal people. 

The average person has an IQ of 100.  A mentally handicapped person has an IQ of 70. 
A normal person has a difficult time understanding what a retard will comprehend, and accept in conversations. 
That is an IQ difference of 30. 

People like Chris Langan, Kevin Langdon, Nathan from IHIQS, and others above the 165 IQ mark are as much as 100 IQ points above the average person. 

It has been said that only those with IQs over 165 have the ability for "new thought."  The rest of us are just working through thought that is already here.  It is the rare mind that can create "new thought."

It is these rare minds that have been ostracized throughout history, and on some level, continue to be today. 

The truth is that these extreme ends of the bell curve are the only people who truly have a basis to be the yardstick for morals, as comprehension of what is moral is in proportion with one's level of intelligence. 

Unfortunately the "moral guidelines" of societies throughout history have only fought against these minds. 

The CTMU is an astounding piece of work....from what I've been told....because the truth of the matter is that neither I, Vince Basille, or the vast majority of humans have the cognitive ability to truly understand what it says.

yes this post is spot on. i like to think of myself as somewhat intelligent and have maintained a 4.0 in school while doing neuroscience, then off to medschool. however, i find it amusing that some people on here are critizing the work like they can even comprehend it. ahah. vince basile doesnt even know what the fuck chris is saying, nor his main thesis.

i cant even comprehend in terms of a working model what he is trying to say, nor can i make any valid points about it. its like all the meatheads who think they can explain M-theory, without knowing a fucking speck of mathematics.

and LMAO at adonis, with his pseudo intellect non-sense.

adonis, in your own words desribe the problems with this theory and possible improvments.

no one here can actually critique this theory.

but vince basile is unimpressed ahahahahahahahahhahahaha ha delusion is bliss.

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
For the doubters and nay sayers, remember something....YOU and the rest of the world, tv shows, news media company's, publications, web sites, etc are the ones talking about HIM...

HE (Chris), nor anyone else, doesn't even know you exist.... 

If you believe that you are special or have unique abilities then go out and let the rest of the world know instead of sitting on a computer doubting what others can do or are capable of.

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
I'm not being a blind skeptic. I like to take a skeptical stance when I hear claims like this because it forces the supporters to defend their position better, thus solidifying their viewpoints in my mind...provided they can back it up convincingly.
The initial sarcastic post was meant to be humorous and serious at the same time.

I don't see why he would advocate forced abortion...

He said "put me in charge," lol, well I don't think many of his social engineering ideas would go over well. There would be mass revolt to say the least. It's not practical. How would he rid the world of all the low IQ children in foreign countries? War? Vaccine? At the rate we are advancing, it would make more sense (a long with being more acceptable to the masses) to eliminate defective genes rather than installing a "Manhattan Project" in 10 year olds as I believe he suggested. So many questions left unanswered.
TEAM REPTILIAN

warrior_code

• Getbig III
Lots of his ideas on genetic modification present many moral conflicts, and the world at it's present moment, being so divided in beliefs, simply is not ready for it.  If there are still debates about stem cell research, his ideas will likely be met with a very negative reaction.   

tleilaxutank

• Getbig IV
  • If it feels good twitter it
This guy is barely tolerable...I would've smacked this shit out of him if he was my step-kid...If he has an IQ of 200 he's a fvcking waste...

the Pure Majestic

• Getbig III
If he has an IQ of 200 he's a fvcking waste...

Please explain. 

He's created a theoretic model explaining "everything" in the universe. 
It has created waves throughout the intellectual community. 

Are you mad that he hasn't cured cancer? 

tleilaxutank

• Getbig IV
Please explain. 

I'm mad that he didn't use .004% of his brain power to make his life more comfortable, like get a job outside of a bar, so he can think up his big ideas in peace.  Surely someone with such a perfect understanding of the universe would be able to calculate the complex factors affecting a stock price or something...and before you spout of that he doesn't need money or a better job...he says flat out in that interview that he would get out of construction and bouncing if he could

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
And to SAMSON123: Have you ever thought about the fact that having an above average intelligence means that you have certain communication needs that normal people often can not help you fulfill?

People very interested in poker needs to communicate with other poker players, people with musical interests needs to communicate and play with other musicians.

People having a Mensa level intelligence can at times be pretty fucking lonely at times, because they live a lot of their life in their own heads with thoughts they can not discuss with normal people.

Thus, high IQ societies = a place where people with a special gift can meet and talk. It's not about being a cocky asshole, it's about having the chance to meet similar to yourself, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I strongly agree with this post.  I was tested at 146 or 148 (I can't remember!!!) about 6 years ago, and joined Mensa as a result.  Since then I have only told prob a handful of people, because I don't like people to know.  Some people act differently around you.

At school I never really fitted in with a specific group, i.e. sporters, populars, goths, etc. and generally flitted from one to the other.  Since school, different people I have met and jobs I have worked in have allowed me to expand my social skills and I now get on well with pretty much anyone I meet.  In a strange way I do still find it difficult to fit in with a group, yet I still have friends from vastly different social circles.

As far as having a high IQ giving you a step up in life, I disagree.  I am nowhere near where I want to be, and sometimes feel that being intelligent can be as much of a hindrance as a help.  :-\

the Pure Majestic

• Getbig III
I'm mad that he didn't use .004% of his brain power to make his life more comfortable, like get a job outside of a bar, so he can think up his big ideas in peace.  Surely someone with such a perfect understanding of the universe would be able to calculate the complex factors affecting a stock price or something...and before you spout of that he doesn't need money or a better job...he says flat out in that interview that he would get out of construction and bouncing if he could

His wife makes plenty of money, they both make money off the mega foundation, he doesn't need to do that anymore. 
That article is pretty old at this point. 

He is a bit of an enigma, he kind of wasted his potential for years doing jobs such as construction.  It wasn't until fairly recently that he put his efforts into anything with monetary value.

Eric2

• Getbig IV
Samrte peoplee's ares stoopid
h

tleilaxutank

• Getbig IV
His wife makes plenty of money, they both make money off the mega foundation, he doesn't need to do that anymore. 
That article is pretty old at this point. 

He is a bit of an enigma, he kind of wasted his potential for years doing jobs such as construction.  It wasn't until fairly recently that he put his efforts into anything with monetary value.

was he a genius at the time of the interview and the 40 plus years leading up to it?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
"Debussey agrees 100% that everybody with above average intelligence should be humble about it and cherish their gift, while respecting other people as equals"

Since Debussey doesn't respect other people as equals it means he is not as gifted as he thinks he is!

Jujoshu

• Getbig III
  • Front Row Tickets
was he a genius at the time of the interview and the 40 plus years leading up to it?

I believe you are misunderstanding what genius is..Being a genius doesn't mean you are necessarily going to make more money, live a life of bliss, or win in everything you do. Lots of geniuses have ended up destitute or poor. As an example, look at some of the famous writers in history. Genius simply means being able to look at things in a different way, and having a profound talent in a specific area. Mozart may have been a musical genius but that wouldn't mean he could go out and automatically get any job he wanted and make as much money as he wanted. The difference between many wealthy people and geniuses is that wealthy people are often preoccupied with money whereas geniuses get their satisfaction from exercising their talent. Case in point-William James Sidis. Perhaps, the greatest IQ the world will ever see but all he wanted to do was be left alone. He ended up dying in his 40s an apparent failure because he didn't do anything shocking to save or cure the world. The question is, was he really a failure?

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
I believe you are misunderstanding what genius is..Being a genius doesn't mean you are necessarily going to make more money, live a life of bliss, or win in everything you do. Lots of geniuses have ended up destitute or poor. As an example, look at some of the famous writers in history. Genius simply means being able to look at things in a different way, and having a profound talent in a specific area. Mozart may have been a musical genius but that wouldn't mean he could go out and automatically get any job he wanted and make as much money as he wanted. The difference between many wealthy people and geniuses is that wealthy people are often preoccupied with money whereas geniuses get their satisfaction from exercising their talent. Case in point-William James Sidis. Perhaps, the greatest IQ the world will ever see but all he wanted to do was be left alone. He ended up dying in his 40s an apparent failure because he didn't do anything shocking to save or cure the world. The question is, was he really a failure?

Yes.

tleilaxutank

• Getbig IV

I am not misunderstanding...the man claims to be able to see complex patterns, interconnections etc. that no one else can...combine that with the fact that he didn't really want to be a construction worker or a bouncer and would "do something else if he could" should sound strange...he was NOT content exercising his talent (whatever the fuck that means...he's not a musical genius or a number cruncher...he's a thinker, hardly an exercise by any stretch); matter of fact, he wanted to do something else...

A failure is defined by someone who is unable to achieve their goals.  If your Mr. Sidis' goal was to die at 40 having accomplished nothing, then no, he was not a failure.

If egghead's goal was to bounce at a bar and "understand the universe" on the side, then he isn't a failure.  Unfortunately, he says in that interview that he didn't particularly like doing that line of work = failure.  ESPECIALLY when he's that talented intellectually.

As an aside, while this dude may be smart he's wrong on a few things:

1. He believes people with very high intelligences are more fit to decide the fate of humankind.  This is tragically flawed logic.  Intelligence has no correlation to morality, selflessness etc.  If a ultra intelligent guy can get stuck working construction and drop out of college, he could surely fuck up the affairs of the world population should he have control of it.

2. He believes he can prove the existence of God.  Not God as Albert Einstein and other modern scientists refer to it (Albert Einstein referred to the universe and its beauty as "God"; Einstein was an atheist), but a "being" with intelligence.  This is very very flawed and sets him apart from today's great minds...

Necrosis

• Getbig V
I agree.

your a tit. he doesnt even mention black hole radiation

what of hawkings does the ctmu resemble?

you know nothing as usual.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
Please explain. 

LOL. Every noted thinker from ancient times to the present has taken their shot at a 'Grand Theory.' They all fall well short. I have no doubt his will too.

/i have my own ideas why they fail, but i will keep that to myself  ;)