Author Topic: A friend of mine got biten in the hand by his rotti  (Read 6785 times)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: A friend of mine got biten in the hand by his rotti
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2007, 06:14:06 AM »

When you come home to the dog walk right past it with minimal acknowledgement from you, maybe a hi, take care of your immediate bussiness then when the dog is calm give it some attention.

I can actually attest somewhat to this tip.

A friend who is a literal master with her dogs, once came into the house where I and a couple of friends where sitting and having a cup of coffee.

There was dog present.

She loves dogs, I know that. But even though the dog went up to her, all giddy, she just walked by.

After awhile, sitting with us for a couple of minutes, she called up the dog and gave it attention.

She explained it pretty much the in the same way Luv2Hurt has.

I was pretty amazed to hear some of the secrets to how she's almost able to speak with dogs, as it seems at times.

Wouldn't surprise me if Luv2Hurt is the same way.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2007, 08:13:55 AM »
Well of course this happens, that does not mean its right.  A healthy, well adjusted dog will not do this to humans ever, unless like I said it earlier it is being truely mistreated.  Owners who let their dogs get away with this behavior towards people are asking for trouble and are irresponsible, or are in denial about the monster they have created.

That is too generalized.   So a healthy well adjusted dog would let some kid come up to it, climb all over it, move away from the kid, the kid comes back and climbs on it, tugs its fur, the dog moves again, etc etc, and never snap at the kid?

Sorry, if someone did that to you you would snap too.  If person you didn't know went to take food off your plate and you said hey bud stop that, and they didn't you would just sit there and let them take it?

If a dog immediately snaps at someone viciously, then yes that is a problem, but to expect a dog to put up with annoyances from another dog or even another person when it has given ample warnings about it's personal space is not right.   If you read that article every dog is different on it's personal space, tolerance, and "rudeness" it will take, or even how it will act towards others. 

I have had off leash dogs come up to mine while on a walk.  I have seen my dogs personal space get invaded by these dogs and my dog looked to me and acted appropriately and put up with the rude behavior from the other dog.  Now if my dog had snarled and snapped at the dog my dog would of been labeled the aggressive one.   Would she have considered unadjusted if she had?  No, she would of been justified in her actions.   The person who finally came over to get there dog went on and on about how friendly he was, which he probably was, he just did not know how to interact appropriately with new dogs. 

And just because a dog lets it's pack leader (owner) take it's food, toys,etc, doesn't mean it is going to allow every human, who are they? They are not in it's pack?   They should show some restraint and give a warning, but if anyone is stupid enough to then continue to stick there hand in the bowl of a dog that isn't his, is an idiot.

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2007, 08:24:29 AM »
I think Love2hurt and Flower both have good points but love2hurt is forgetting that there aren't many dog owners that live by the rules he put up for himself and his dog.
It's very simple for us pack leaders to live by those rules because they come natural to us but most people are st00pid and don't speak "dog language"!
In my opinion those people shouldn't be allowed to own a dog before they have taken some classes on how to behave around a dog...but i'm afraid that will never happen....I feel the same way about people and getting children... :o
?

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2007, 12:35:12 PM »
Well of course this happens, that does not mean its right.  A healthy, well adjusted dog will not do this to humans ever, unless like I said it earlier it is being truely mistreated.  Owners who let their dogs get away with this behavior towards people are asking for trouble and are irresponsible, or are in denial about the monster they have created.

Dogs love to be treated as dogs.  They need a leader to feel secure, like in a pack.  That leader needs to be you!  If not this leads to all kinds of behavioral problems and anxiety.  The love to follow and have a job to do. 

Here are some tips on maintaining your status with your dogs:

Always feed your dog AFTER you eat first.
Test dog by taking food or toys away from it.
Never let your dog on your bed
Walk the dog in a healed state most of the time.
Do not let your dog get on top of you
Remain calm and in control while correcting your dog.
maintain a confident posture while working with or being around your dog
do not leave the food bowl down for more than a short while.
Do not let your dog get pushy with you or let it lay where ever it wants
socialize your dog regularly with other dogs, not just the ones you have.
be consistant in your actions
When you come home to the dog walk right past it with minimal acknowledgement from you, maybe a hi, take care of your immediate business then when the dog is calm give it some attention.

Just a few there are more, but this is what a dog needs to be happy, otherwise they become confussed about their place and the problems start.  This is true love like Hedge said. You have to be the boss and a good parent and sometimes it might seem to some that it is mean, but it is not.  The opposite is

I will say this again, The dogs do not make the rules or do what ever they want.  At least in my world they dont. 

I agree with most of this...but....some dogs are pushy by nature of breed.  My Rottie we have likes to lean alot.  It's in their herding nature to walk up to someone & lean on them.  I find in most situations...not "reacting" to it makes the behaviour stop.  Reacting to it, encourages him to do more of it. 

He knows his place & is not allowed up on the couch or the bed.  It's not to say at 1 years old....he doesn't "test" the waters.  When he does....there's never a "big reaction".  Most of the time....it's a look or an "off" command...& his head goes down & he knows that his attempts failed.  I feel most people do too much over reaction of showing domination.  Rottie's, like some dogs, don't like to be looked directly in the eyes.  All that usually has to be done....is the direct look in the eyes....& a one word command.  He knows he has about 3 seconds or less to respond.   I think that people that over react & try to hard to establish domination are losing ground every day.

When I see him when I first walk through the door....He has an incredible hard time NOT going crazy.  Believe it or not...since a pup...he's been taught to sit & wait...but he still has a hard time not acting too exciting.  The most important thing though....Is I still refuse to pet him & call him a good boy until he sits & waits in a "stay" command for 2-3 minutes so I can put my stuff down, go to the bathroom, etc...  I believe he's a better dog for this.  He's more respectful but also he knows when I say "come"....it's "hello & play time" and he has my attention for a few minutes.  Then he's a good boy & adjusts well.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2007, 12:52:15 PM »
do not leave the food bowl down for more than a short while.

That is the beauty of actually feeding real food, their is no chance something will be left in the bowl!

Briona wouldn't even eat crap-in-a-bag as a puppy, I had to hand feed her the kibble and leave some in her bowl hoping she would eat.  When I decided to try a real diet for carnivores it was like she had never eaten before.  Which really, she hadn't had real food up until then.

I guess if she challenges me food wise again I could just put her on kibble as punishment!  She wouldn't care if someone put their face in her bowl then.   ::)

I don't think it is necessary that you have to eat before they do.  I feed them according to my schedule.  When I get home from the gym I don't like to eat til after I have showered.  So they eat and then go outside while I shower and then I eat.  I'm not going to wait feed them at 8pm to show my dominance. If I don't go to the gym, then they still wait til I feed them, could be 5pm, could be 6pm. I may or may not have eaten dinner yet.  On the weekend they get their morning meal when I get up.  During the week they eat around 6:30am, on the weekend they get let out around 6:30am, but I don't feed them till I get up again later, could be 9 or even 10am.