Author Topic: Reg Park - Metastatic Melanoma & Updates  (Read 15002 times)

D_1000

• Getbig IV
Re: Reg Park is seriously ill.
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2007, 01:59:48 PM »
The only way you can help him, would be to donate billions to fund research in order to develop a cure.

There is no god, praying is useless and stupid.  NEVER has a prayer cured anyone.

Disease does not work by chance and has known and identifiable characteristics.  This is not supernatural in nature, and you dolts should not treat it as such.

Stop wasting your time.

You have the social skills of a piece of shit.

Hope this helps.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2007, 02:02:01 PM »
You have the social skills of a piece of shit.

Hope this helps.

Doesn't mean he's wrong.
Ron: "I am lazy."

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Reg Park seriously ill
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2007, 02:04:09 PM »
shit Arnolds waist doesn't look that small huh?

Around 1970 he was closer to 250. The rest of his BB career was mainly refinement.

Arnold really looked up to Reg & Dave; i'm sure he's been in touch with him throughout this.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2007, 02:24:49 PM »
FYI, "god" doesn't exist  ::)
how the fuck do you know?

asshole
follow the arrows

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2007, 02:40:34 PM »
how the fuck do you know?

asshole

So because someone disagrees with you on the "god" question, that makes him an "asshole"??

And religious people wonder why they are so disliked by the rest of us.  ::)
Ron: "I am lazy."

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2007, 03:20:11 PM »
The only way you can help him, would be to donate billions to fund research in order to develop a cure.

There is no god, praying is useless and stupid.  NEVER has a prayer cured anyone.

Disease does not work by chance and has known and identifiable characteristics.  This is not supernatural in nature, and you dolts should not treat it as such.

Stop wasting your time.

This is the form of atheism that really annoys me (strong atheism).  You don't know there is no god any more than any religious person (regardless of religion) knows that there is a god.  The mere question is simply beyond our ontology and it is impossible to answer.

Prayers actually do work though - but the reason for this is sociological and not theistic - people with larger support groups are more likely to pull through a life threatening episode than those who do not have them.  But an atheist with a large support group would likely have just as high odds than a religious person who is being prayed for by their church.  This is under the assumption that they are conscious and able to acknowledge the prayers of others of course.

Like everything else in life, the topics here do not have a black and white answer but the truth lies somewhere in between.  TA is no more right about knowing for a fact that there are no deities any more than a religious person is right to know there is a deity.  Granted, I would  give the edge to TA because his thoughts are an illogical conclusion but at least founded on a logical basis (there being no evidence(s) at all of any god(s) existing).

Lastly, TA could make the same points in a better way as was pointed out.  As it is, the only people who will agree with him are those already on his side.  He would benefit from learning how to discuss and debate in such a way where he  gets some of his opposition to agree with him.  If not, what is the point?
Bodybuilding Pro.com

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2007, 05:59:44 PM »
This is the form of atheism that really annoys me (strong atheism).  You don't know there is no god any more than any religious person (regardless of religion) knows that there is a god.  The mere question is simply beyond our ontology and it is impossible to answer.

Prayers actually do work though - but the reason for this is sociological and not theistic - people with larger support groups are more likely to pull through a life threatening episode than those who do not have them.  But an atheist with a large support group would likely have just as high odds than a religious person who is being prayed for by their church.  This is under the assumption that they are conscious and able to acknowledge the prayers of others of course.

Like everything else in life, the topics here do not have a black and white answer but the truth lies somewhere in between.  TA is no more right about knowing for a fact that there are no deities any more than a religious person is right to know there is a deity.  Granted, I would  give the edge to TA because his thoughts are an illogical conclusion but at least founded on a logical basis (there being no evidence(s) at all of any god(s) existing).

Lastly, TA could make the same points in a better way as was pointed out.  As it is, the only people who will agree with him are those already on his side.  He would benefit from learning how to discuss and debate in such a way where he  gets some of his opposition to agree with him.  If not, what is the point?

You are a fucking moron.  You don`t believe in fairies or Gnomes now do you?  They have the same track record of existence and evidence as a God.

I really think you are a moron.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2007, 06:02:46 PM »

Prayer helps?

Not even close.

Prayers don't help heart surgery patients; Some fare worse when prayed for.  

Many - if not most people - believe that prayer will help you through a medical crisis such as heart bypass surgery. If a large group of people outside yourself, your family, and your friends joined in intercessory prayer, that should be even more helpful, so such reasoning goes.
Researchers have been trying to prove this and even to measure the effect. Now, the largest study to date, covering 1,800 people who underwent coronary bypass surgery at six different hospitals, supported the latter research.

Not only that, but patients who knew that others were praying for them fared worse than those who did not receive such spiritual support, or who did but were not aware of it.

Those who conducted the study are quick to say that its results do not challenge the existence of God. Also, it did not try to address such religious questions as the efficacy of one form of prayer over others, whether God answers intercessory prayers, or whether prayers from one religious group work better than prayers from another, according to the Rev. Dean Marek, a chaplain at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.
Other researchers in the study, who include investigators from Harvard Medical School, Harvard-affiliated Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Mind/Body Medical Institute, agree. Also involved were teams from medical institutions in Oklahoma City, Washington, D.C., Memphis, and Rochester, Minn.

"The primary goal of the study was limited to evaluating whether intercessory prayer or the knowledge of receiving it would influence recovery after bypass surgery," notes Jeffery Dusek, an instructor in medicine at Harvard Medical School. The evaluation found that third-party prayer has no effect at all on recovery from surgery without complications, and that patients who knew they were receiving prayer fared worse that those who were not prayed for.

theworm

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2007, 06:08:03 PM »
I am usually a True Adonis supporter, but he is dead wrong on this one.  Prayer helps a shit load of people.  I recall several well done studies stating this.  One study (forget all the specifics, and what diseases and stuff), but there was a cure rate of 30% of those who prayed vs 5% who did not, and it was a big study.  it does help.

even if you do not believe in GOD, even being spiritual and believing in a "higher power" heals.  This is the foundation of Alcoholics Anonymous-which has been PROVEN to be VERY effective for many.
you are gay.

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2007, 06:09:20 PM »
You are a fucking moron.  You don`t believe in fairies or Gnomes now do you?  They have the same track record of existence and evidence as a God.

I really think you are a moron.

I'll give you the same honest advice that I gave Jimmy: a good book for you to read is "How to Win Friends and Influence People".  For me, it wasn't new information, it just confirmed that the way I have always been relating to people is effective.  Your methods need work though, and that is an objective statement.  Using ad hominem attacks is not going to further your case or get me to agree with you.  It will in fact have just the opposite effect and get more people on my side.  That is just how human psychology works.

I don't mean to compare you to Jimmy though because you are actually likable.  Despite your insults I would still want to chill out with you or go to the gym if you lived near me lol.  Mainly because I know how you talk and sometimes you speak in an intense way but don't really mean any harm.

As for your comment about gnomes, if you have been following getbig lately, you may have caught my comment here:

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=147243.0

I do not deny that there could be a god. However, to leap from this to believing that said god exists is as rational as saying, "Invisible fire breathing dragons could exist, therefore I will start believing in them."
Bodybuilding Pro.com

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2007, 06:11:56 PM »
I am usually a True Adonis supporter, but he is dead wrong on this one.  Prayer helps a shit load of people.  I recall several well done studies stating this.  One study (forget all the specifics, and what diseases and stuff), but there was a cure rate of 30% of those who prayed vs 5% who did not, and it was a big study.  it does help.

even if you do not believe in GOD, even being spiritual and believing in a "higher power" heals.  This is the foundation of Alcoholics Anonymous-which has been PROVEN to be VERY effective for many.
Prayer 'no aid to heart patients' 

Groups from different faiths prayed for patients
Praying for patients undergoing heart operations does not improve their outcomes, a US study suggests.
A study found those who were prayed for were as likely to have a setback in hospital, be re-admitted, or die within six months as those not prayed for.

The Duke University Medical Center study of 700 patients, in the Lancet, said music, image and touch therapy did appear to reduce patients' distress.

Heart experts said patients could benefit from feeling more optimistic.

Further evidence is emerging that people with a more positive outlook appear to be less affected by stressful events, such as having surgery

Dr Charmaine Griffiths, British Heart Foundation

Therapies such as prayer and homeopathy are widely used, although past studies looking at the impact of care on patients' health have had mixed results.

The results of this study contradict earlier findings from the same team which suggested a drop of a quarter or more in "adverse outcomes" - including death, heart failure or heart attack.

However, that trial involved only 150 patients. Other research since has found no evidence of any benefits.

This study looked at 700 patients undergoing angiograms (an X-ray of the blood vessels) or other heart operations at nine hospitals across the US.

Christian, Muslim, Jewish and Buddhist prayer groups were assigned to pray for 371 of the patients. The rest had no prayer group.

In addition, 374 of the patients were assigned MIT therapy and the rest none.

MIT involved teaching the patients relaxed breathing techniques and playing them easy listening, classical, or country music during their procedure.

The researchers found that neither therapy alone, or combined, showed any measurable treatment effect on serious cardiovascular events, hospital readmission or death.

But those given music, imagery and touch therapy had less emotional distress and had a lower death rate after six months, though this was not seen as statistically significant.

'Proper subjects'

Dr Mitchell Krucoff, who led the study, said: "If we want to understand the role of human capacities and resources in the midst of our most advanced medical technologies, we have to do good science.

"With no notion of the actual mechanisms involved in ancient healing practices such as prayer or touch or music, structured outcomes research allows us to collect data that we can learn from in many ways."

A Lancet editorial on the paper said it would be premature to rule out the use of such therapies in modern medicine.

It added: "The contribution that hope and belief make to a personal understanding of illness cannot be dismissed so lightly.

"They are proper subjects for science, even while transcending its known bounds."

Dr Charmaine Griffiths, spokesperson for the British Heart Foundation, said: "While this research suggests that prayer and alternative therapies do not improve the clinical outcome for patients undergoing heart procedures, there is increasing interest in the possibility that positive emotional states are beneficial to heart health."

She said associations had been seen between positive emotional states and low levels of the stress hormone cortisol.

"Further evidence is emerging that people with a more positive outlook appear to be less affected by stressful events, such as having surgery."

She added: "Patients learning to relax by using breathing techniques and listening to music, and being aware that others are thinking of them may contribute to a more optimistic outlook.

"Whether these effects are significant remains unproven."

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2007, 06:12:31 PM »
Prayers don't help heart surgery patients; Some fare worse when prayed for.

TA - there is a difference between heart ailments and cancer.  Those with cancer who really fought the disease hard (mentally) were more likely to beat it than those who were passive - but the opposite was true for heart ailments.  I would assume the reason for that is because the excitement of fighting something causes a degree of stress or eustress related that is not easy on the heart muscle.  With cancer patients, the heart muscle is already strong and the related stress does not effect the cancer growth.  Just my educated guess on this.  In general, support groups are known to help.  I would link you to scientific resources on this, but I am busy trying to upload two interviews and a protein powder review right now.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

theworm

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2007, 06:22:26 PM »
I still think its best to pray for your own illnesses.  However, how can one ever say "prayer does not work."  example:

I pray for a heart patient and they "do not get better."  they go on requiring a pace-maker and so forth.  but what if I did not pray?- perhaps that patient may have died in 24 hours.  so one can truly know. 

It is an excellent thing to do (helps mentally, helps bond people, etc) with NO SIDE EFFECTS whatsoever.

thus, why would one NOT pray?

you are gay.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2007, 06:24:20 PM »
TA - there is a difference between heart ailments and cancer.  Those with cancer who really fought the disease hard (mentally) were more likely to beat it than those who were passive - but the opposite was true for heart ailments.  I would assume the reason for that is because the excitement of fighting something causes a degree of stress or eustress related that is not easy on the heart muscle.  With cancer patients, the heart muscle is already strong and the related stress does not effect the cancer growth.  Just my educated guess on this.  In general, support groups are known to help.  I would link you to scientific resources on this, but I am busy trying to upload two interviews and a protein powder review right now.

Don`t bother. My Mom has cancer and I see plenty of cancer patients.  The result is always the same and is not prolonged by anything other than modern medicine.

Retards, who are not cognizant of death let alone cancer, who also have cancer, do not live any longer or shorter.

Hope this helps.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2007, 06:25:30 PM »
I still think its best to pray for your own illnesses.  However, how can one ever say "prayer does not work."  example:

I pray for a heart patient and they "do not get better."  they go on requiring a pace-maker and so forth.  but what if I did not pray?- perhaps that patient may have died in 24 hours.  so one can truly know. 

It is an excellent thing to do (helps mentally, helps bond people, etc) with NO SIDE EFFECTS whatsoever.

thus, why would one NOT pray?

Why would you not believe in a Giant Flying Spaghetti Monster?

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2007, 06:31:13 PM »
prayer and religon is a load of shit, if you need to believe your weak and if im going to hell for saying it go fark yourselves :o

warrior_code

• Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2007, 06:33:18 PM »
Why would you not believe in a Giant Flying Spaghetti Monster?

I don't mean to change the topic of this thread, I hope he gets well. 

Adonis, check this out, evidence of chimpanzees using spears now.  They are coming along very nicely, I wonder how long until they make up fake gods and start killing each other over which fake god is better?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6387611.stm

theworm

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2007, 06:33:37 PM »
well, everything I prayed for in my life I got.  nearly 100%.  

how can one not believe in God?  The hundreds of billion details that all must perfectly come together in only one human is beyond remarkable.  how do you define your own existance?  why even go on living if all this is for shit?

even if there was not a heaven or God, the thought and belief help many people who struggle through every day life.  gives one hope there is something beyond this.

How can you seriously not pray for your mom's cancer?  Maybe something bad happened to you and u lost your faith?  well everything happens for a reason, and even if you don;t pray or believe in God, if you did it would help you cope and deal better with these situations.  
you are gay.

theworm

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2007, 06:39:05 PM »
How can you people not believe in God or heaven.  did your parents beat you?

If someone came up to you and said here is an ATM card, put this into the ATM and you MAY get a million dollars, not ever have to work again and you will be takin to some tropical island and relax with plenty of beer around you.  the costs: nothing. 

how can one truly turn down that deal?  if you said you would, you are a liar.

Same is for God and heaven, etc.  No costs, other than spending an hour in church and having faith.  the benefits: life in heaven.

well, i will be there, and I will laugh at your asses who are not simply cause some jackass thinks praying is for the "weak."
you are gay.

arce377

• Getbig IV
  • ARCE DO SAN MARTIALARTS SCHOOL
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2007, 06:39:11 PM »
:( REG IS A LEGEND.
ARCE
DOSAN DOJO

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2007, 06:47:46 PM »

So because someone disagrees with you on the "god" question, that makes him an "asshole"??

And religious people wonder why they are so disliked by the rest of us.  ::)
Absolutely, just read the bible and therein you will find the wrath of God that atheists and pagans have been/will be subject to.

j/k, he was an asshole for inserting that comment. It just doesn't belong there... no one on this thread is arguing for the existence of God- we are merely wishing him well, and those of us who are religious here are praying for him. Pretty harmless now isn't it? Is anyone here imposing their religious view on someone else?

Now compare that to the All-Fvcking-Knowing atheist here who wants to impose his views on religious people. IMO, proclaiming with so much certainty that there is no God is in itself a ridiculous comment (= douchebag), but this guy had to take it a step further and impose the view on other people.

Who's the asshole now, BIATCH?  >:(

;D
follow the arrows

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2007, 06:52:12 PM »

If someone came up to you and said here is an ATM card, put this into the ATM and you MAY get a million dollars, not ever have to work again and you will be takin to some tropical island and relax with plenty of beer around you.  the costs: nothing. 

Same is for God and heaven, etc.  No costs, other than spending an hour in church and having faith.  the benefits: life in heaven.

well, i will be there, and I will laugh at your asses who are not simply cause some jackass thinks praying is for the "weak."
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan

The human body is flawed heavily.  There is nothing amazing about it. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2007, 06:55:52 PM »

If everything was just left up to "God did it", we would not have progressed in any shape or form from thousands of years ago.

If everyone believed that, we would not even bother with figuring out the complexities of the universe, nor anything regarding modern medicine.

I would rather die, than surrender my inquisitive mind.  I am not satisified with supernatural, non-eviduciary answers.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2007, 06:56:25 PM »
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan

The human body is flawed heavily.  There is nothing amazing about it. 

Carl Sagan was an athiest as are you, maybe you two can talk it over in hell!

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2007, 06:57:03 PM »

Oh boy, you're one stupid fuck.

You can't reason why certain logical thinkers don't arrive to the conclusion of an all knowing supernatural figure, so you come up with some bullshit red herring attack like "did your parents beat you?"

If I say a purple dinosaur is the real creator of the Universe, then that statement will have the same validity as your god. Except your god has been conditioned into the minds of ignorant people for thousands of years.  ::) Taught from an early age and no proof offered except for fairy tales from the Middle East written by con men and tricksters.

You don't have any proof of your god, or heaven. You're just bullshitting what you've been taught from an early age because you're too fucking stupid to base any sort of arguements based on research, fact, science and plain logic.

Your analogy of getting a big bank account and praying in a church on sunday is laughable. Stupid fucks like you need to lined up in front of a machine gun and mowed down so you're not allowed to spread ignorance or breed.

Prayers are basically similar to a placebo affect and not the hand of an old boogey man from the sky reaching down and injecting you with good health.  ::)