Author Topic: after a day of fasting  (Read 3298 times)

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
Re: after a day of fasting
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2007, 04:23:02 AM »

Bear in mind that the greatest strength to weight ratio is found in professional rock climbers (so I've heard), but you probably wouldn't pick one of them as your ideal physique.

i would like to acquire climbing abilities, especially the finger and hand strength.

I think it is vital prep for Ninja Warrior:

that's something I'd like to travel to try out eventually

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2007, 04:25:41 AM »
ok I'm going to go get my hair cut...maybe I will stop by the NY Pro pre-judging and imagine what it would be like to have 70lbs more muscle to work with.

canadaphiliac

• Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2007, 04:53:20 AM »
not true. some of the worlds biggest bodybuilders do chins etc

But didn't you already say...

body weight excercises etc is always prefered by skinny weak people
Pathetic.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2007, 04:57:41 AM »
i would like to acquire climbing abilities, especially the finger and hand strength.

I think it is vital prep for Ninja Warrior:

that's something I'd like to travel to try out eventually

That's not a Japanese gameshow - they didn't stop to eat something every 2 minutes.

Lots of climbers train on hangboards.  Maintaining a small hold has a lot to do with technique (finger stacking, thumb support) as well as raw strength.  I was never much of a climber, so really I'm just talking out my ass.  ;D

http://www.earthtreksclimbing.com/etch/hangboard.html

I'm willing to bet you're the only Getbig member who can hold an iron cross Shapes.  That's impressive.

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2007, 05:07:11 AM »
That's not a Japanese gameshow - they didn't stop to eat something every 2 minutes.

Lots of climbers train on hangboards.  Maintaining a small hold has a lot to do with technique (finger stacking, thumb support) as well as raw strength.  I was never much of a climber, so really I'm just talking out my ass.  ;D

http://www.earthtreksclimbing.com/etch/hangboard.html

I'm willing to bet you're the only Getbig member who can hold an iron cross Shapes.  That's impressive.

I've heard that the hangboard is sometimes called the tendon tear board.  training those fingers is a good way to snap the tendons.  I guess you need to build up slowly

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2007, 05:24:35 AM »
Seems reasonable that injuries would occur.  I don't understand the biomech of it, but one finger pullups is some serious overloading.  A tendon injury is probably small to those fanatics - some of those people are nuts - freeclimbers, etc.

If you're going out, go with a reputable company and pay the $.  Give them an idea of your fitness level though so you don't wind up in a class with some lardos who can't even hike to the rock.

Good way to meet fit chicks too.  8)

tleilaxutank

• Getbig IV
  • If it feels good twitter it
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2007, 05:56:20 AM »
weight is weight...

workout intensity = (weight*reps)/time of workout

it doesn't make a hill of beans difference whether its your body weight or a piece of iron...now go forth and multiply my young ones...