Author Topic: PUMPING IRON.... THE BOOK  (Read 1173 times)

carvedoutofwood

• Getbig III
  • the flame of the west
PUMPING IRON.... THE BOOK
« on: May 13, 2007, 10:28:08 AM »
My grandmother just gave me a copy she had found in a closet. Apparently it had been my uncles, which he had purchased the day of its release. Its interesting that although the book was written a few years b4 the movie was made, most of the story lines/themes seem to parallel one another. Most of Arnolds humor still shines through in the book, but theyre clearly recycled jokes that he later uses again in the movie. Infact the entire book is basically just a dress rehearsal for Arnold…

discuss

Stark

• Getbig V
Re: PUMPING IRON.... THE BOOK
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 10:29:29 AM »
Lucky bastard... check if it's signed by Lui ;)

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 10:34:14 AM »
I still have my copy.
and keep moving!

carvedoutofwood

• Getbig III
  • the flame of the west
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 10:39:39 AM »
"... these men who dedicate themselves to building bodies like hellenistic statues; who crisscross the world competing for titles grandiose yet as publicly uncelebrated as their gargantuan physiques; whose daily lives are as rigidly defined and regulated by their obsession to mold the ideal body as one any other master athletes's is towards perfecting his craft. Yet, rather than the public acclaim that normally follows an athletic triumph , only their fellow muscles men know who they are and know the price they have paid to win their incredible bodies."

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 10:39:56 AM »
Yep, I still got mine, right next to the 5th ever edition of my personally autographed "Keys to the Inner Universe" by Bill Pearl.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 10:55:26 AM »
Infact the entire book is basically just a dress rehearsal for Arnold…

discuss

I think you're revising history. The book was far more balanced about BB in general, including BBs who weren't part of Weider, such as Oliva. They skewed the movie into an Arnold/Weider promo; the movie could've been closer to the book and more representative without compromising the Arnold parts.

carvedoutofwood

• Getbig III
  • the flame of the west
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 11:06:36 AM »
I think you're revising history. The book was far more balanced about BB in general, including BBs who weren't part of Weider, such as Oliva. They skewed the movie into an Arnold/Weider promo; the movie could've been closer to the book and more representative without compromising the Arnold parts.
i guess i agree... granted im only halfway through the book.... but it does seem that most of the parts with arnold where then just dublicated for the movie...

Old-Skool

• Getbig III
  • Back in the Day....
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 01:03:11 PM »
I was a skinny little thirteen year old in a book store when I saw that cover shot of Corney and it changed my life. Now I'm a skinny forty year old and STILL love bodybuilding!

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 01:03:48 PM »
I was a skinny little thirteen year old in a book store when I saw that cover shot of Corney and it changed my life. Now I'm a skinny forty year old and STILL love bodybuilding!
Nice work!  ::)

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 01:17:53 PM »

It says starring Arnold Schwartzenegger but they used Ed Corney on the cover. :)
Q

eastcoastbbman

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 01:25:02 PM »
"... these men who dedicate themselves to building bodies like hellenistic statues; who crisscross the world competing for titles grandiose yet as publicly uncelebrated as their gargantuan physiques; whose daily lives are as rigidly defined and regulated by their obsession to mold the ideal body as one any other master athletes's is towards perfecting his craft. Yet, rather than the public acclaim that normally follows an athletic triumph , only their fellow muscles men know who they are and know the price they have paid to win their incredible bodies."

its a shame. these words were written in 1973 or so, but they are still completely and totally true today!!! this "sport" has not gone forward one millimeter in the public eye since then and it never will.

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 02:00:56 PM »
My grandmother just gave me a copy she had found in a closet. Apparently it had been my uncles, which he had purchased the day of its release. Its interesting that although the book was written a few years b4 the movie was made, most of the story lines/themes seem to parallel one another. Most of Arnolds humor still shines through in the book, but theyre clearly recycled jokes that he later uses again in the movie. Infact the entire book is basically just a dress rehearsal for Arnold…

discuss

Discuss what? You summed it up right there.

carvedoutofwood

• Getbig III
  • the flame of the west
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 02:45:27 PM »
Discuss what? You summed it up right there.

discuss how arnold used the book as a warm up for the movie.... rehearsing it in his mind im sure for years