Author Topic: Jerry Falwell dead @ 73  (Read 7604 times)

Victor VonDoom

• Getbig IV
  • ...and Doom shall control the world!
Jerry Falwell dead @ 73
« on: May 15, 2007, 10:02:36 AM »
LYNCHBURG, Virginia (AP) -- The Rev. Jerry Falwell was found unconscious in his office Tuesday and taken to the hospital, a Liberty University executive told a newspaper.

Ron Godwin, the executive vice president of the school, told The News & Advance of Lynchburg that Falwell was found unconscious after missing an appointment Tuesday morning. Falwell arrived at Lynchburg General Hospital around noon, the newspaper reported on its Web site.

When contacted by The Associated Press, Godwin said he couldn't talk at that time.

Is this goodbye?  If so, Doom approves.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Falwell reportedly found unconscious, hospitalized
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 10:23:53 AM »

Is this goodbye?  If so, Doom approves.
When I saw you started this thread title I wondered whether Doom approved or not!
R

Victor VonDoom

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 10:35:16 AM »
This just in:  Falwell has died at 73 years old.

Doom disapproves of men and women who presume to lecture others based on spiritual beliefs.  If your psycho/spiritual beliefs serve you well then so be it, but keep them to yourself.

If other people want your psycho/spiritual guidance, they will ask for it.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 10:38:33 AM »
!!!  Thanks for the picture I was thinking of Pat Robertson!
R

Victor VonDoom

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 10:46:49 AM »
At the age of 22, having just graduated from college in June of 1956, Jerry Falwell returned to his hometown of Lynchburg, Virginia and started Thomas Road Baptist Church with 35 members. The offering that first Sunday totaled $135. Falwell often says about the first collection, “we thought we had conquered the world”. Today Thomas Road Church has 24,000 members and the total annual revenues of all the Jerry Falwell ministries total over $200 million.

'nuff said.

Doom disapproves.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 11:02:08 AM »
Falwell sucked balls.

HTH.
follow the arrows

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 11:10:02 AM »
At the age of 22, having just graduated from college in June of 1956, Jerry Falwell returned to his hometown of Lynchburg, Virginia and started Thomas Road Baptist Church with 35 members. The offering that first Sunday totaled $135. Falwell often says about the first collection, “we thought we had conquered the world”. Today Thomas Road Church has 24,000 members and the total annual revenues of all the Jerry Falwell ministries total over $200 million.

'nuff said.

Doom disapproves.

'nuff said about what? Do you think that was all for him ::)??

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
Re: Jerry Falwell dead @ 73
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 12:06:18 PM »
Good riddance!!!

Columbusdude approves too!!!

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 12:10:05 PM »
Good riddance!!!

Columbusdude approves too!!!

dont ride dooms jock.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 01:45:07 PM »
dont ride dooms jock.

Jealous, are you? ;)

Unknown8471

• Getbig II
  • I will never be a memery
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 02:02:14 AM »
I lothed that man, his presense shal not be missed.
unknown

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 07:23:15 AM »
Our Lord, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, hath condemned the rotund Falwell to the Pastafarian Hell, where pasta sticks and meatballs are never fresh. I shudder to think how he will suffer for all eternity.

May He bless you all with His noodly Appendage. RAmen.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 09:17:10 AM »
Our Lord, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, hath condemned the rotund Falwell to the Pastafarian Hell, where pasta sticks and meatballs are never fresh. I shudder to think how he will suffer for all eternity.

May He bless you all with His noodly Appendage. RAmen.
I'm just gonna put it out there, Columbusdude.....you sound kinda angry, bro.   :-\  Like really scarred. 

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 09:51:40 AM »
I sound angry? I am "really scarred"? I assure you, I am neither :)

On the other hand, a man that says shit like
“AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals”
is angry, and scarred.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 11:41:32 AM »
I sound angry? I am "really scarred"? I assure you, I am neither :)
I didn't say you were scarred or angry, bro.  Just that it sounds that way.  If I go back and look at what you were saying in your previous post, it's as if you hated Jerry Falwell like he personally did something to you, kinda like the girl that hooks up with a guy, then when he doesn't ever call back she's furious and bitter.    That's all I'm saying. 
On the other hand, a man that says shit like
“AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals”
is angry, and scarred.
Would you have been just as upset if he said the same thing about smokers and lung cancer?   :-\

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 11:52:16 AM »
Would you have been just as upset if he said the same thing about smokers and lung cancer?   :-\

1. I am not upset.
2. Let's take your premise, and let us suppose Falwell said "Lung cancer is not just God's punishment for smokers; it is God's punishment for a society that tolerates smokers."
That just sounds stupid. Not all lung cancer is caused by smoking, and not all smokers get lung cancer. That smoking causes lung cancer is a scientific fact and it has nothing to do with God, just as the plate tectonics that cause earthquakes are scientific facts. Furthermore, how is lung cancer a punishment for a society that tolerates smokers? You mean to say that if a nice old grandmother who never smoked a day in her life got lung cancer, that is a punishment from God?

3. The premise of your analogy is wrong. Whereas smoking is scientifically proven to cause cancer, "homosexuality" (whether you mean the sexual orientation itself, or the sexual act, or homosexual dating and relationships) does not cause AIDS. The HIV virus causes AIDS. You can get the HIV virus from a blood transfusion, from heterosexual sex, from homosexual sex, from a one-time hook-up or a long-term partner. It is a virus, plain and simple. It is no more "a punishment from God" than the common cold.

Now you are going to say "columbusdude you are angry" or "MELTDOWN" or something along those lines, but trust me, that is not the case. I am merely pointing out the fallacy in your argument :)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 12:05:25 PM »
1. I am not upset.
2. Let's take your premise, and let us suppose Falwell said "Lung cancer is not just God's punishment for smokers; it is God's punishment for a society that tolerates smokers."
That just sounds stupid. Not all lung cancer is caused by smoking, and not all smokers get lung cancer. That smoking causes lung cancer is a scientific fact and it has nothing to do with God, just as the plate tectonics that cause earthquakes are scientific facts. Furthermore, how is lung cancer a punishment for a society that tolerates smokers? You mean to say that if a nice old grandmother who never smoked a day in her life got lung cancer, that is a punishment from God?

3. The premise of your analogy is wrong. Whereas smoking is scientifically proven to cause cancer, "homosexuality" (whether you mean the sexual orientation itself, or the sexual act, or homosexual dating and relationships) does not cause AIDS. The HIV virus causes AIDS. You can get the HIV virus from a blood transfusion, from heterosexual sex, from homosexual sex, from a one-time hook-up or a long-term partner. It is a virus, plain and simple. It is no more "a punishment from God" than the common cold.

Now you are going to say "columbusdude you are angry" or "MELTDOWN" or something along those lines, but trust me, that is not the case. I am merely pointing out the fallacy in your argument :)
lol, no not at all, bro.  hahahaha   it's a good debate (but your comments were personal towa

Good points, but I would have (and did so) argued the statement by the late Mr. Falwell from the vantage point that man has been fallen since the time of Adam and Eve.  "The wages of sin is death", whether it be aids, cancer, gunshot wounds, car accident, or some other type of illness.

We are all fallen, bro.  And death will consume everyone one of us, because of our fallen nature.   Hence, the whole point of Christ dying on the cross. 

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2007, 12:18:47 PM »
I am not fallen. I reject the doctrine of Original Sin. I refuse to bear the brunt of a hypothetical sin committed by an imaginary man and woman in an allegorical story from an ancient book written in the middle east thousands of years back. I am responsible for my actions only. You can be fallen if you like.

Saying that "sin" is the cause of all these deaths you describe above is ludicrous. If I were to die of food poisoning because I ate salmonella-contaminated chicken, that has nothing to do with sin, and everything to do with bacteria. If I were to get AIDS from a blood transfusion gone wrong, that has everything to do with HIV-contaminated blood and nothing to do with sin.

Are all still-born children dying because of their sins, which they haven't had the opportunity to commit? Did the millions of Holocaust victims meet horrible deaths because of their sins, or their Jewish/Gypsy/etc identity? Are their sins that much worse than the rest of mankind?

You can explain away your own misfortunes by blaming yourself for actual or hypothetical sins. However, you can't expect the rest of us to buy into that.

Moving on, if AIDS is a punishment from God for sin, isn't it then immoral to try to find a cure for it? Aren't scientists who invent AIDS medicines and the people who use them circumventing the will of God?

Finally, as for Falwell, yes, I am glad we are rid of one of the major voices of backwardness and stupidity in the American Taliban. The man never outgrew the part of the fat bully in the school playground, and used the bible and the pulpit to promote his stupidity and unreason.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2007, 12:28:18 PM »
I am not fallen. I reject the doctrine of Original Sin. I refuse to bear the brunt of a hypothetical sin committed by an imaginary man and woman in an allegorical story from an ancient book written in the middle east thousands of years back. I am responsible for my actions only. You can be fallen if you like.

Saying that "sin" is the cause of all these deaths you describe above is ludicrous. If I were to die of food poisoning because I ate salmonella-contaminated chicken, that has nothing to do with sin, and everything to do with bacteria. If I were to get AIDS from a blood transfusion gone wrong, that has everything to do with HIV-contaminated blood and nothing to do with sin.

Are all still-born children dying because of their sins, which they haven't had the opportunity to commit? Did the millions of Holocaust victims meet horrible deaths because of their sins, or their Jewish/Gypsy/etc identity? Are their sins that much worse than the rest of mankind?

You can explain away your own misfortunes by blaming yourself for actual or hypothetical sins. However, you can't expect the rest of us to buy into that.

Moving on, if AIDS is a punishment from God for sin, isn't it then immoral to try to find a cure for it? Aren't scientists who invent AIDS medicines and the people who use them circumventing the will of God?

Finally, as for Falwell, yes, I am glad we are rid of one of the major voices of backwardness and stupidity in the American Taliban. The man never outgrew the part of the fat bully in the school playground, and used the bible and the pulpit to promote his stupidity and unreason.
I can't answer your question with regard to finding a cure for AIDS, Cancer, etc, if you don't accept the notion that we are all fallen.  You and I totally miss the mark when it comes to perfection.  Or I should say, I miss the mark, whereas you believe to be perfect in your existence, right?  If you're not fallen, then you have to be perfect, yes? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 12:36:26 PM »

Columbus how about this:  who contaminated the chicken?  A dishonest factory worker maybe?  AIDS tainted blood likely came from an IV drug user.  Holocaust victims were murdered.

I guess the next question would be what did those people do to deserve to die?  I don't know.  But I think you can trace much, if not all, of what ails society to sin, by someone. 

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2007, 12:40:09 PM »
You force me to choose between regarding myself as "perfect" and a lifetime of self-flagellation for sins, both committed and perceived. What on earth is the reason why I have to pick only one or the other? I repeat: "I refuse to bear the brunt of a hypothetical sin committed by an imaginary man and woman in an allegorical story from an ancient book written in the middle east thousands of years back. I am responsible for my actions only." I never claimed to be perfect. I only ask to be judged by the actual wrongs that I actually commit. Don't put words in my mouth.

You say: "I can't answer your question with regard to finding a cure for AIDS, Cancer, etc, if you don't accept the notion that we are all fallen."
You can't answer my questions because you limit the scope of your search for answers to ancient books. I accept the logical cause of death. If I were to be eaten by a lion in the jungle, then that doesn't mean I died because of sin. I died because the lion ate me, plain and simple.

Getting back on topic, Falwell said: "I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way -- all of them who have tried to secularize America -- I point the finger in their face and say, 'You helped this happen.' "

What stupidity! The 9-11 attacks were perpetrated by Muslims, who hate the people Falwell mentions above at least as much as he does. How on earth does two lesbians going at it in their bedroom in their home in, say, Phoenix, lead to planes crashing into the WTC towers in NY? Sheer stupidity!

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 12:45:39 PM »
Columbus how about this:  who contaminated the chicken?  A dishonest factory worker maybe? 

Or maybe I just didn't cook it thoroughly enough? There was still a pink spot in the middle that I missed. I ate it, got poisoned. Whose sin is it now?

As for AIDS, let's say I got it from a monkey, like the first people who got HIV. Let's say an HIV-carrying monkey scratched me in the circus when I got too close. Where's the sin there?

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 12:49:03 PM »
You force me to choose between regarding myself as "perfect" and a lifetime of self-flagellation for sins, both committed and perceived. What on earth is the reason why I have to pick only one or the other? I repeat: "I refuse to bear the brunt of a hypothetical sin committed by an imaginary man and woman in an allegorical story from an ancient book written in the middle east thousands of years back. I am responsible for my actions only." I never claimed to be perfect. I only ask to be judged by the actual wrongs that I actually commit. Don't put words in my mouth.

You say: "I can't answer your question with regard to finding a cure for AIDS, Cancer, etc, if you don't accept the notion that we are all fallen."
You can't answer my questions because you limit the scope of your search for answers to ancient books. I accept the logical cause of death. If I were to be eaten by a lion in the jungle, then that doesn't mean I died because of sin. I died because the lion ate me, plain and simple.
True.  We're on opposite sides of the ledge that either catapults one of us up, or cracks and crashes down.  It's something that only time will tell.  But from what I'm hearing from you, there's another part of that ledge, the one that doesn't do anything, it's balanced, and it just exists.  It's just there, with no purpose, no reason, nothing. 

Getting back on topic, Falwell said: "I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way -- all of them who have tried to secularize America -- I point the finger in their face and say, 'You helped this happen.' "

What stupidity! The 9-11 attacks were perpetrated by Muslims, who hate the people Falwell mentions above at least as much as he does. How on earth does two lesbians going at it in their bedroom in their home in, say, Phoenix, lead to planes crashing into the WTC towers in NY? Sheer stupidity!
Wouldn't you agree that they've been successful to date? 

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2007, 01:01:08 PM »
1. I am still interested in hearing your answer to my previous question, if you want to answer it: "if AIDS is a punishment from God for sin, isn't it then immoral to try to find a cure for it? Aren't scientists who invent AIDS medicines and the people who use them circumventing the will of God?"

2. I don't get your ledge analogy. You word it vaguely so I don't see what you're referring to.

3. You mean the highlighted people have been successful in secularizing America? Newsflash: These people didn't secularize America. The Founding Fathers did. It was secular from the start.

See the obnoxious aggressive nature of religion? The American Taliban can't accept a secular country that protects their freedom of religion, everyone else's freedom of religion, and freedom from religion. You can't tell them,

"well, Mr. Falwell, you believe in your rapture and your second coming of Jesus, and let the Muslim believe in Mohammed and Allah, and I will enjoy my Shakespeare and Mozart and Picasso, and we can all live happily and in peace"

no more than you can say to a suicide bomber bent on blowing you up "well, Ahmed, you believe in Muhammad and the Twelfth Imam and all that, and I'll watch my TV shows and listen to my rock bands, and we can live in peace and harmony side by side."

Ahmed is bent on blowing himself up and taking you with him, so he can get his 72 virgins, and the American Taliban demand a "Christian nation." It is this absolutism of religion that I hate and fight.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2007, 01:23:53 PM »
Or maybe I just didn't cook it thoroughly enough? There was still a pink spot in the middle that I missed. I ate it, got poisoned. Whose sin is it now?

As for AIDS, let's say I got it from a monkey, like the first people who got HIV. Let's say an HIV-carrying monkey scratched me in the circus when I got too close. Where's the sin there?

Re chicken:  I would fault you for not cooking the chicken thoroughly.   :)  Is that a "sin"?  Not necessarily.

We don't know where AIDS originated, but we do know the overwhelming majority of AIDS in the United States is confined primarily to a couple of groups:  IV drug users and a certain category of homosexual males. 

I understand the point you're trying to make (I think):  some illnesses and deaths cannot be traced to anyone's bad acts.  That's debatable, but I think by and large you can pinpoint some human failure for much of the things we see going wrong in this country.     

I can look at my own life and trace my failures in life to specific actions (or inaction).  All of it pretty much avoidable.  It is not easy and maybe that upsets you.  Honestly, it bothers me sometimes.  The Bible talks a lot about a person overcoming sin.  Overcoming requires hard work.  Constant awareness.  Not an easy task.  Sometimes, I resent having to remain so focused and that resentment is a failure on my part, but hey I’m human.   :-\