Author Topic: Mike Huckabee: 'Sanctity of Life' No 'Peripheral' Position  (Read 4038 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Thursday, May 17, 2007 8:16 a.m. EDT
Mike Huckabee: 'Sanctity of Life' No 'Peripheral' Position

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee said Wednesday he would have to think long and hard before he would consider joining a ticket with a candidate who supports abortion rights.

"This is an issue to me that is very critical. It's one of the reasons that I got into politics because I believe the manner in which we treat innocent life and the matter in which we respect human life, at whatever stage ... is an incredibly powerful statement about who we are as a people," Huckabee told reporters in a conference call.

The Republican presidential candidate and Southern Baptist minister did not specifically name GOP front-runner Rudy Giuliani.

The former New York mayor has said he is personally opposed to abortion but supports a woman's right to choose. Huckabee has questioned that position.

"The sanctity of life is not just some peripheral political position," Huckabee said. "It comes to the very heart of who we are as a culture, and I think that's shared by many people here in South Carolina."

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2007/5/17/81831.shtml?s=ic

egj13

• Getbig III
  • Got life by the balls
Re: Mike Huckabee: 'Sanctity of Life' No 'Peripheral' Position
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 11:26:36 AM »
I really like this guy

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 11:29:14 AM »
I really like this guy
REally?  He sound like a fool.  That issue has never gotten anyone elected or unelected.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

egj13

• Getbig III
  • Got life by the balls
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 02:42:36 PM »
REally?  He sound like a fool.  That issue has never gotten anyone elected or unelected.

I'm not concentrating on that issue, he just seems like less of a politician than the others with their scripted answers for everything.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 04:08:07 PM »
Does Arkansas have a death penalty?

Don't talk about the sanctity of life if you're willing to kill someone for a crime... That is as hypocritical as you can get.

Laughing Sam's Dice

• Getbig IV
  • $12.95 per monthman
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 04:11:42 PM »
Nor is there much "sanctity of life" concern by supporters of our Iraq invasion.
Stick out your tongue.

egj13

• Getbig III
  • Got life by the balls
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 04:20:49 PM »
Death penalty and war are completely different than abortion

Laughing Sam's Dice

• Getbig IV
  • $12.95 per monthman
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 04:27:09 PM »

I agree, the first two involve killing human beings, the third involves killing something that is not yet human.  In any case, "sanctity of life" refers to all human life.
Stick out your tongue.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 04:32:25 PM »

1.  Holiness of life or disposition; saintliness.
2. The quality or condition of being considered sacred; inviolability.
3. Something considered sacred.

You're either protecting life, or you're not... "Life" is not different... You are alive or you're dead. You're either for protecting, or you're not... Choose your side.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 04:38:58 PM »
1.  Holiness of life or disposition; saintliness.
2. The quality or condition of being considered sacred; inviolability.
3. Something considered sacred.

You're either protecting life, or you're not... "Life" is not different... You are alive or you're dead. You're either for protecting, or you're not... Choose your side.

I think the major distinction is due process.  You cannot be deprived of life . . . without due process.  If someone commits a premeditated murder, is tried, convicted, and sentenced to death, that person has sacrificed his right to life and ought to die.  There isn't a decision that the person's life isn't sacred, that person has simply forfeited the right to hang around. 

An unborn child gets no due process.  There is simply a decision by the mother, for whatever reason, to kill the baby. 

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 04:42:07 PM »
Another christian fundamentalist who doesn't understand the concept of a secular country.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 04:55:48 PM »
Another christian fundamentalist who doesn't understand the concept of a secular country.

???

Laughing Sam's Dice

• Getbig IV
  • $12.95 per monthman
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 05:13:17 PM »
An unborn child gets no due process.  There is simply a decision by the mother, for whatever reason, to kill the baby. 

"Unborn child" is a fiction.  A bunch of cells in the body, like any other group of cells, does not constitute a separate person.
Stick out your tongue.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 05:18:13 PM »
I think the major distinction is due process.  You cannot be deprived of life . . . without due process.  If someone commits a premeditated murder, is tried, convicted, and sentenced to death, that person has sacrificed his right to life and ought to die.  There isn't a decision that the person's life isn't sacred, that person has simply forfeited the right to hang around. 

Then there is no sanctity... Due process does not determine if life is sacred or not.

Due process has nothing to do with it... You either believe in the sanctity of life, or you do not.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 05:33:57 PM »
"Unborn child" is a fiction.  A bunch of cells in the body, like any other group of cells, does not constitute a separate person.

You have kids?

At 18 weeks, the baby blinks, grasps, and moves his or her mouth.  Hair grows on the head and body.

At 24 weeks, the baby is fully formed and viable. 

Here are some pictures.  Any question that you're looking at a baby at 13 weeks?  http://www.babycenter.com/pregnancy/fetaldevelopment/index

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 05:36:48 PM »
Then there is no sanctity... Due process does not determine if life is sacred or not.

Due process has nothing to do with it... You either believe in the sanctity of life, or you do not.

It has everything to do with it.  All life is sacred.  According to our Constitution, you give up that sacred right to life, but not without due process.  Unless you're an unborn child.

From Wiki:

The Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution says:

“ No person shall be ... deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law .... ”

The Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution says:

“ No State shall ... deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law .... ”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Due_process

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 05:38:59 PM »
It has everything to do with it.  All life is sacred.  According to our Constitution, you give up that sacred right to life, but not without due process.  Unless you're an unborn child.

From Wiki:

“ No person shall be ... deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law .... ”

“ No State shall ... deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law .... ”

That still doesn't determine how "sacred" it is... Sanctity is a belief. You believe it's sacred or not... If you do, then you should be against any loss of life... Even if it's "allowed".

What part of that equation do people not understand.

You're applying "law" to what is "sacred"... They are not the same. You are saying it's "OK", because of due process... due process has no bearing on something being sacred or not.

Laughing Sam's Dice

• Getbig IV
  • $12.95 per monthman
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 05:39:18 PM »
Any question that you're looking at a baby at 13 weeks? 

Well yes, actually.  It appears that those aren't photographs of babies, just an artist's rendition.  Did you think it was real?
Stick out your tongue.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 05:45:37 PM »
That still doesn't determine how "sacred" it is... Sanctity is a belief. You believe it's sacred or not... If you do, then you should be against any loss of life... Even if it's "allowed".

What part of that equation do people not understand.

You're applying "law" to what is "sacred"... They are not the same. You are saying it's "OK", because of due process... due process has no bearing on something being sacred or not.

I don't believe the issue is whether life is sacred.  It is.  The issue is whether or not you can forfeit the right to live.  I think we just have a fundamental disagreement over that issue.

There are plenty of other rights that are sacred that are also conditional, like privacy, religion, etc.  Pretty much all of them now that I think about it. 

Laughing Sam's Dice

• Getbig IV
  • $12.95 per monthman
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 05:47:17 PM »

From Wiki:

Clue- sperm and egg union does not make a "person." 
Stick out your tongue.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2007, 05:47:27 PM »
Well yes, actually.  It appears that those aren't photographs of babies, just an artist's rendition.  Did you think it was real?

Dude I have four kids and I have seen ultra sounds of all four at all stages of development (from about 13 or so weeks on).  That "artist's rendition" is accurate.    

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2007, 05:48:09 PM »
I don't believe the issue is whether life is sacred.  It is.  The issue is whether or not you can forfeit the right to live.  I think we just have a fundamental disagreement over that issue.

There are plenty of other rights that are sacred that are also conditional, like privacy, religion, etc.  Pretty much all of them now that I think about it. 

Ah, but when you use the term "Sanctity" of human life... You are immediately making it "sacred".

Perhaps it's the fact people use the "term" without even realizing what the hell they're really saying.

If I say that I have to protect the "sanctity" of human life... Then I protect life... ALL of it... at ALL costs.

That's what making something sacred is all about... You would never say that the Bible is "sacred", then tear one up would you?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2007, 05:51:20 PM »
Clue- sperm and egg union does not make a "person." 

Well duh.  Unborn babies aren't expressly mentioned in the Constitution.  The Constitution doesn't define "person" (I don't think).  That's why people have proposed "human life" amendments.  

And focusing on the "sperm and egg" is pretty silly IMO.  Lots of people do that, e.g., calling the baby a "period."  But the fact is most women don't find out they are pregnant until they have something much larger than a "period."  And there is no question that we're dealing with fully formed babies in the third trimester that can survive outside the womb.    

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2007, 05:58:19 PM »
Ah, but when you use the term "Sanctity" of human life... You are immediately making it "sacred".

Perhaps it's the fact people use the "term" without even realizing what the hell they're really saying.

If I say that I have to protect the "sanctity" of human life... Then I protect life... ALL of it... at ALL costs.

That's what making something sacred is all about... You would never say that the Bible is "sacred", then tear one up would you?

Tu I do believe life is sacred.  You don't have convince me.  Look my past few posts in this string.  I've stated I believe all life is sacred, including the life of an unborn child. 

What we're disagreeing on is whether that sacred life can ever be forfeited.  I take it you disagree with the 5th and 14th Amendments that say life can be forfeited with due process?   

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2007, 06:08:46 PM »
Tu I do believe life is sacred.  You don't have convince me.  Look my past few posts in this string.  I've stated I believe all life is sacred, including the life of an unborn child. 

What we're disagreeing on is whether that sacred life can ever be forfeited.  I take it you disagree with the 5th and 14th Amendments that say life can be forfeited with due process?   

This is not about the 5th and 14th Amendments to me.

I disagree with saying that it's sacred, yet choosing to remove it's "sanctity" as you see fit (not you personally of course)... It's the hypocrisy I disagree with.

If people are pro-life, they should be pro-life to all... not just when it suits them.