Author Topic: University VP  (Read 1687 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
University VP
« on: May 17, 2007, 02:46:08 PM »
I'm a member of a higher education email job list for Deans, VPs, & Presidents, and I was recently alerted to a university VP job. The application for this particular university asks for the following info:

"Briefly relate your personal relationship with Jesus Christ."

and elsewhere on the application they ask for

"Name of church of regular attendance or membership
________________________ ________________

Address of Church ________________________ __

Church phone ( _____) _______________________"

Do I want to be a VP that badly?  Is the name, address, and contact info of my church the business of my university employer?  Nah.  I'll pass.  :(

Would you apply for/take a job that required this information?  Would you lie or fabricate the information to get such a job?

Laughing Sam's Dice

• Getbig IV
  • $12.95 per monthman
Re: University VP
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 04:07:11 PM »
I hope they're not an accredited university.
Stick out your tongue.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 04:58:58 PM »
Obviously a religious school.  There is nothing wrong at all with those questions, if the institution is private.  I would imagine schools like Notre Dame (Catholic), BYU (Mormon), SMU (Methodist), Loma Linda (Seventh-day Adventist), etc. would ask questions of that nature.  Big deal. 

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 05:03:06 PM »

i wouldn't mind being a dean at pepperdine . . .

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 05:39:13 PM »
i wouldn't mind being a dean at pepperdine . . .

Is that where Kenneth Starr landed? 

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 07:00:29 PM »
Is that where Kenneth Starr landed? 

Yeah, he's at the law school . . . one of the most beautiful campuses on the planet.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 08:15:12 PM »
Obviously a religious school.  There is nothing wrong at all with those questions, if the institution is private.  I would imagine schools like Notre Dame (Catholic), BYU (Mormon), SMU (Methodist), Loma Linda (Seventh-day Adventist), etc. would ask questions of that nature.  Big deal. 

I doubt SMU and ND ask questions like that . . . SMU is pretty secular these days.  And ND . . . when I was in school, I had a professor who had taught at ND before, and he really didn't strike me as the religious type (in fact, given the school I went to, I'd say it was more than safe to assume he was pretty far left) . . . it might be different for Deanships and presidencies (although I think my prof was head of a dept when he was there) . . . but apart from places like BYU and church of christ schools, i really doubt there's much in the way of "what church do you attend."

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 09:01:13 PM »
Yeah, he's at the law school . . . one of the most beautiful campuses on the planet.

Two of my co-workers went to Pepperdine and they say the same thing about the campus. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 09:05:08 PM »
I doubt SMU and ND ask questions like that . . . SMU is pretty secular these days.  And ND . . . when I was in school, I had a professor who had taught at ND before, and he really didn't strike me as the religious type (in fact, given the school I went to, I'd say it was more than safe to assume he was pretty far left) . . . it might be different for Deanships and presidencies (although I think my prof was head of a dept when he was there) . . . but apart from places like BYU and church of christ schools, i really doubt there's much in the way of "what church do you attend."

That may be true, but it wouldn't surprise me if the religious schools or schools with religious affiliations ask those questions.  For example, Berkley couldn't ask, but St. Mary's (in California) might.