Author Topic: tatoos?  (Read 9287 times)

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
tatoos?
« on: May 17, 2007, 06:22:14 PM »
When I first got into this sport 30 yrs ago, tatoos were a major NO NO. Now it seems they are a fashion statement of some kind and many in the hardcore end sport a variety of tatoos. I also see many that dress in skull caps with fu man chu beards and maintain a renegade persona. I just don't get this whole rebel/ thug attire and attitude deal? Clue me on , I am clueless old fart  I guess.  Thanks, Howard
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
Re: tatoos?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 06:25:31 PM »
I got "tatted up" in the early 1980's i used to get comments and stares like
"how could he mutilate himself like that?"..............and"you will get major points deducted by the bodybuilding judges for those tattoo's.................now they are acceptable

my how times have chaNged!!

mdgkmg

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 06:32:32 PM »
ppl just trying to look like they're all that in the eye of their own public. too afraid to just be themselves etc. they gotta follow the fad. its like if the coolest kid on the block starts lifting weights and also becomes the biggest ppl will soon follow.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 06:37:54 PM »
the way I look at it....it's a bunch of people trying to separate themselves or to look different.

In the end....i'm the odd ball of my friends because I don't have one.

pumpher

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 06:40:26 PM »
Do you love tatoos when you get old & saggy or they fade?

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 06:52:52 PM »
i have alot of tattoos and have never gotten them because of others. in fact im the only 1 of my friends and family that has them. i do it because i think its the ultimate form of art. as far as the ? i always get. "ull regret it when u get older" maybe but id rather be on my death bed saying i wish i didnt do something then i wish i did

odilly

• Getbig III
  • yo
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 06:55:50 PM »
tatoos are way more accepted now then they where even 15 years ago and thats in everyday life as far as wiht bodybuilding there is alot of tan stuff that covers them up
Odilly

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 06:56:42 PM »
i have alot of tattoos and have never gotten them because of others. in fact im the only 1 of my friends and family that has them. i do it because i think its the ultimate form of art. as far as the ? i always get. "ull regret it when u get older" maybe but id rather be on my death bed saying i wish i didnt do something then i wish i did

Thanks for the sincere reply. I myself don't have any desire to get one, but I  don't judge anyone that has your attitude. Do you bodybuild?   Howard

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 07:00:30 PM »
tatoos are way more accepted now then they where even 15 years ago and thats in everyday life as far as wiht bodybuilding there is alot of tan stuff that covers them up

True , but my main question is about the overall look of many hardcore guys, that seem to want to project the tough guy/ gangsta kinda look ( that often includes tatoos). I know that no masculine dude wants to look or dress like Peter Pan, but, in my opinion, a lot of the new tough guy look is a bit over the top. Maybe I am gettin' old LOL  .

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 07:04:38 PM »
True , but my main question is about the overall look of many hardcore guys, that seem to want to project the tough guy/ gangsta kinda look ( that often includes tatoos). I know that no masculine dude wants to look or dress like Peter Pan, but, in my opinion, a lot of the new tough guy look is a bit over the top. Maybe I am gettin' old LOL  .

Howie,
Honestly for most of these guys its a "cry for help"

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 07:08:59 PM »
Howie,
Honestly for most of these guys its a "cry for help"
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  that was a zinger, ok , seriously what kind of persona or image are they trying for?
I am a middle aged old fart so bear with me on this. But to me, a lot of guys look like a combo of a guy "getting ready to do yard work with the I am doing time at the max security pen look ::)"

odilly

• Getbig III
  • yo
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 07:10:02 PM »
the best is the tough guy formula                                                                                          shaved head + moustache goatee combo+tap out shirt - sleeves +biohazard tattoo+workout gloves + punching movements with dumbells in hands = one hell of a tough guy
Odilly

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 07:28:11 PM »
the best is the tough guy formula                                                                                          shaved head + moustache goatee combo+tap out shirt - sleeves +biohazard tattoo+workout gloves + punching movements with dumbells in hands = one hell of a tough guy

LMAO  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D    THAT was funny as hell, what a zinger LOL.

I was out in a club with my gf and other friends  and saw that a lot of the 20 something guys had the " moustache-goatee with baseball cap/ tatoo look going on. I took an informal survey of the ladies and asked them if "THAT" was an attractive "look" to them. It got a big thumbs down, EVERY time. In that light wtf are these guys trying to acomplish, because I have yet to meet any woman that thinks it is a desirable look. Just my 2 cents.

odilly

• Getbig III
  • yo
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 07:33:16 PM »
these guys are just lacking something and figure being a tuff guy makes up for it...yet they would have their lunch ate on them if they did ever get into ti so they try to "dress tuff" which is usually a combination of every cliche thing they have ever seen
Odilly

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 07:38:14 PM »
i dont bodybuild as in compete but i love the challenge of dieting and working out hard. i got into it from wrestling and sport and when that stopped i fell in love with bodybuilding. i would never do well in a show because i naturally have a blocky waist even when down to very low body fat. but i love lifting heavier weight and feeling good about myself. i do it for myself not any body else. i have tons of tattoos but no piercing and they are weird to me and i would never get one but if you like it then i think thats all that matters

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 07:41:19 PM »
i also unlike most keep my tattoos covered almost at all times i wear long sleeves and dont like to show them. no 1 at work (hospital) knows i have them. i hate the people that wear a wife beater to the gym so they can show there tattoos

odilly

• Getbig III
  • yo
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 07:47:06 PM »
i dont think anyone has a problem with tats i just hate the people who get them for the wrong reasons or they get lame ones that pepole have ruined example bulldog ones biohazard ones barbwire arm band ones with skulls with snakes and flames   but actuall tattoos that mean something to the person and arent just a cookie cutter tat is very cool with me
Odilly

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 08:59:39 PM »
tats are ugly and these days you are more of a rebel if you DON't have one

E
E

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 09:06:10 PM »
I've got three and am planning on getting more.  I've designed / modified a design for them all, and had them done at different times in my life.  I couldn't care less what other people think of them, they are there because I wanted them and because they remind me of certain times in my past.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 09:07:35 PM »
they are there because I wanted them and because they remind me of certain times in my past.

shouldn't your brain be enough to remind you of times in the past?

E
E

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2007, 09:10:28 PM »
shouldn't your brain be enough to remind you of times in the past?

E

Yes, but my tattoos remind me in the same way that a picture does, or how a song sparks memories, or a certain smell makes you think of something.  When my son is old enough to write his own name, I'll get that inked on, so that I can always see him as he was at that age.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2007, 11:29:08 PM »
Do you love tatoos when you get old & saggy or they fade?

Like who gives a shit than? U are hardly pulling any chicks with 60 anymore ::)

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2007, 11:32:44 PM »
ppl just trying to look like they're all that in the eye of their own public. too afraid to just be themselves etc. they gotta follow the fad. its like if the coolest kid on the block starts lifting weights and also becomes the biggest ppl will soon follow.

Exactly.

Fucking sheep. One asshole gets a Hummer, so the rest follow. One gets a gay haircut, so do the rest......

I seen them EVERYDAY, carbon fucking copies of each other. You can't tell 'em apart.
HAHA, RON.....

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2007, 11:48:47 PM »
I guess you people that are criticising tatoos have never actually seen a good one.  Good art is good art, no matter if it is on canvas or flesh.  I do agree that the whole "walk into a tatoo shop and pick a piece of flash off the wall and get it done" attitude is stupid and most good artists hate doing it, but they need to make money too.  Oh yeah, Superman tats and Tazmanian Devil tats as well as Tribal stuff are unoriginal and pointless.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2007, 11:53:23 PM »
I guess you people that are criticising tatoos have never actually seen a good one.  Good art is good art, no matter if it is on canvas or flesh.  I do agree that the whole "walk into a tatoo shop and pick a piece of flash off the wall and get it done" attitude is stupid and most good artists hate doing it, but they need to make money too.  Oh yeah, Superman tats and Tazmanian Devil tats as well as Tribal stuff are unoriginal and pointless.

Maybe, but these tatoos are 99.9% of all tattoos.

Tatoos suck, they look stupid, especially on women. tramp stamp or a fucking unicorn on the shoulder, it looks like shit. Chinese symbols?? Should be forbidden to tattoo because either the tattooist can't read it or he loves to insult his customers because they'll never find out.  ;D ;D