Author Topic: James Dobson writes off Giuliani  (Read 1200 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
James Dobson writes off Giuliani
« on: May 18, 2007, 06:14:26 AM »
POSTED: 2:08 a.m. EDT, May 18, 2007

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Religious conservative leader James Dobson will sit out the 2008 presidential election if former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani is the Republican presidential nominee, he wrote Thursday in an online column.

In a piece published on the conservative Web site WorldNetDaily, Dobson wrote that Giuliani's support for abortion rights and civil unions for homosexuals, as well as the former mayor's two divorces, were a deal-breaker for him.

"I cannot, and will not, vote for Rudy Giuliani in 2008. It is an irrevocable decision," he wrote.

"If given a Hobson's -- Dobson's? -- choice between him and Senators Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama, I will either cast my ballot for an also-ran -- or if worse comes to worst, not vote in a presidential election for the first time in my adult life. My conscience and my moral convictions will allow me to do nothing else."

Dobson, 71, is the founder and chairman of Colorado-based Focus on the Family, but said he was writing as "a private citizen and not on behalf of any organization or party."

He endorsed President Bush in 2004, the first time he endorsed a presidential candidate.

Dobson's organization says his daily radio program is heard by as many as 220 million listeners over 3,500 stations in the United States. He's also seen on 80 television stations, and 10 Focus on the Family magazines have 2.3 million subscribers, the group says.

Dobson attacked Giuliani for publicly saying he hates abortion but supports a woman's right to have one. Giuliani had been criticized for being ambiguous on his abortion views, but firmly stated last week that he supports abortion rights.

"Is Rudy Giuliani presidential timber? I think not," Dobson wrote. "Can we really trust a chief executive who waffles and feigns support for policies that run contrary to his alleged beliefs? Of greater concern is how he would function in office. Will we learn after it is too late just what the former mayor really thinks? What we know about him already is troubling enough."

Maria Comella, a Giuliani spokeswoman, said that he is aware that his views on abortion may cost him some votes, but that he respects those who disagree with him.

"From the beginning, Mayor Giuliani has been straightforward on where he stands on the issue," Comella said. "It's a sign of leadership to stand by your views in the face of political expediency."

As for Giuliani's three marriages, Dobson wrote that there are "moral concerns about Giuliani's candidacy that conservatives should find troubling."

"Rudy wanted conservatives to believe he had undergone some kind of an election-eve conversion, more or less," Dobson wrote. "Then the contradictions began catching up with him, which often happens to those who play games with words. No, this leopard has not changed his spots."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/05/17/giuliani.dobson/index.html

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: James Dobson writes off Giuliani
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 06:19:42 AM »
That's good news for Giuliani IMO.

Means he will be viewed as a middle man, attract a lot of swing voters.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 06:38:51 AM »
That's good news for Giuliani IMO.

Means he will be viewed as a middle man, attract a lot of swing voters.

-Hedge

Good news for Rudy *IF* he can get thru the primary.

Also, a Bloomberg run will torpedo any repub run.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 07:19:18 AM »

He's prepared to spend a billion dollars..  :o

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 09:30:21 AM »
POSTED: 2:08 a.m. EDT, May 18, 2007

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Religious conservative leader James Dobson will sit out the 2008 presidential election if former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani is the Republican presidential nominee, he wrote Thursday in an online column.

In a piece published on the conservative Web site WorldNetDaily, Dobson wrote that Giuliani's support for abortion rights and civil unions for homosexuals, as well as the former mayor's two divorces, were a deal-breaker for him.

"I cannot, and will not, vote for Rudy Giuliani in 2008. It is an irrevocable decision," he wrote.

"If given a Hobson's -- Dobson's? -- choice between him and Senators Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama, I will either cast my ballot for an also-ran -- or if worse comes to worst, not vote in a presidential election for the first time in my adult life. My conscience and my moral convictions will allow me to do nothing else."

Dobson, 71, is the founder and chairman of Colorado-based Focus on the Family, but said he was writing as "a private citizen and not on behalf of any organization or party."

He endorsed President Bush in 2004, the first time he endorsed a presidential candidate.

Dobson's organization says his daily radio program is heard by as many as 220 million listeners over 3,500 stations in the United States. He's also seen on 80 television stations, and 10 Focus on the Family magazines have 2.3 million subscribers, the group says.

Dobson attacked Giuliani for publicly saying he hates abortion but supports a woman's right to have one. Giuliani had been criticized for being ambiguous on his abortion views, but firmly stated last week that he supports abortion rights.

"Is Rudy Giuliani presidential timber? I think not," Dobson wrote. "Can we really trust a chief executive who waffles and feigns support for policies that run contrary to his alleged beliefs? Of greater concern is how he would function in office. Will we learn after it is too late just what the former mayor really thinks? What we know about him already is troubling enough."

Maria Comella, a Giuliani spokeswoman, said that he is aware that his views on abortion may cost him some votes, but that he respects those who disagree with him.

"From the beginning, Mayor Giuliani has been straightforward on where he stands on the issue," Comella said. "It's a sign of leadership to stand by your views in the face of political expediency."

As for Giuliani's three marriages, Dobson wrote that there are "moral concerns about Giuliani's candidacy that conservatives should find troubling."

"Rudy wanted conservatives to believe he had undergone some kind of an election-eve conversion, more or less," Dobson wrote. "Then the contradictions began catching up with him, which often happens to those who play games with words. No, this leopard has not changed his spots."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/05/17/giuliani.dobson/index.html

I've always maintained Rudy would have trouble making it out of the primary.  This might be the beginning of the end for him. 

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 11:20:16 AM »

I don't think so. He's just another wealthy liberal posing as a Republican.

egj13

• Getbig III
  • Got life by the balls
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 06:10:27 PM »
Conservatives will turn out in full force this election. Bloomberg will waste his money

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 12:16:46 AM »
Conservatives will turn out in full force this election.

Bush got 3 million repub voters off their butt in 2004, who didn't get up and vote in 2000.

This was when the war was new, and most of us still believed in WMD.

Why do you think that despite Bush's approval rating dropping nearly 50% in the last few years (because of the war), people would be motivated to run out and vote for a guy who has Bush's exact war stance?

egj13

• Getbig III
  • Got life by the balls
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 04:14:38 AM »
Bush got 3 million repub voters off their butt in 2004, who didn't get up and vote in 2000.

This was when the war was new, and most of us still believed in WMD.

Why do you think that despite Bush's approval rating dropping nearly 50% in the last few years (because of the war), people would be motivated to run out and vote for a guy who has Bush's exact war stance?

Because 2 years (by that time) of watching the Democrats in charge will motivate

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 07:16:26 AM »
Because 2 years (by that time) of watching the Democrats in charge will motivate

2 years of slight inaction by the dems will suddenly convert that jilted 50% of voters to all-of-a-sudden support a losing war after being in there 6 and 1/2 years?

What planet are you living on, man?

egj13

• Getbig III
  • Got life by the balls
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 07:13:34 AM »
2 years of slight inaction by the dems will suddenly convert that jilted 50% of voters to all-of-a-sudden support a losing war after being in there 6 and 1/2 years?

What planet are you living on, man?

I guarantee it. Conservative turn out was low the last time, they will be back now.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 07:16:12 AM »
I guarantee it. Conservative turn out was low the last time, they will be back now.

Actually, 3 million more registered republicans voted in 2004 than in 2000.  Conservative turnout was a record high.