Author Topic: Hard to believe...  (Read 664 times)

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
Hard to believe...
« on: May 18, 2007, 07:33:37 AM »
The Bush Administration trusted Wolfowitz over a Four Star General...

SEN. LEVIN: General Shinseki, could you give us some idea as to the magnitude of the Army's force requirement for an occupation of Iraq following a successful completion of the war?

GEN. SHINSEKI: In specific numbers, I would have to rely on combatant commanders' exact requirements. But I think --

SEN. LEVIN: How about a range?

GEN. SHINSEKI: I would say that what's been mobilized to this point -- something on the order of several hundred thousand soldiers are probably, you know, a figure that would be required. We're talking about post-hostilities control over a piece of geography that's fairly significant, with the kinds of ethnic tensions that could lead to other problems. And so it takes a significant ground- force presence to maintain a safe and secure environment, to ensure that people are fed, that water is distributed, all the normal responsibilities that go along with administering a situation like this.

Rumsfeld and his deputy, Paul Wolfowitz, called Shinseki's estimate "far off the mark" [14] and "wildly off the mark". Wolfowitz said it would be "hard to believe" more troops would be required for post-war Iraq than to remove Saddam Hussein from power. [1] Specifically, Wolfowitz said to the House Budget Committee on February 27, 2003:

DEP. SEC. WOLFOWITZ: There has been a good deal of comment - some of it quite outlandish - about what our postwar requirements might be in Iraq. Some of the higher end predictions we have been hearing recently, such as the notion that it will take several hundred thousand U.S. troops to provide stability in post-Saddam Iraq, are wildly off the mark. It is hard to conceive that it would take more forces to provide stability in post-Saddam Iraq than it would take to conduct the war itself and to secure the surrender of Saddam's security forces and his army - hard to imagine.

On November 15, 2006, Gen. John P. Abizaid, chief of the U.S. Central Command, in testimony before the Senate Armed Services Committtee, acknowledged that in his view, and with hindsight, that Shinseki had been correct in his view that a larger post-war force was needed. Abizaid noted that this force could have included Iraqi or international forces in addition to American force: [15] [16]

SEN. Lindsay GRAHAM (Republican, S. C.): Was General Shinseki correct when you look backward that we needed more troops to secure the country, General Abizaid?

GEN. ABIZAID: General Shinseki was right that a greater international force contribution, U.S. force contribution, and Iraqi force contribution should have been available immediately after major combat operations.

footloose and fancy free

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Hard to believe...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 09:28:17 AM »
Yeah.  Big blunder.  Bush should have listened to Shinseki.  Instead, they basically fired the guy.   :-\

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 10:09:13 AM »
Not surprising at all.

BUSH in his infinite wisdom granted to the "decider" has made what will go down as the worse foreign policy decision in the history of the United States.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 10:57:33 AM »
Well the whole administration has got to qualify for the Dumb Fuck Hall of Fame...I mean does Bush Sr. even acknowledge that this hammerhead is even his son?
footloose and fancy free