Author Topic: Why Black America cannot get ahead  (Read 1324 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Why Black America cannot get ahead
« on: May 21, 2007, 09:54:55 PM »

Just watched 'Deal or No Deal', an episode with Wesley Autrey, the man who jumped in the path of an oncoming subway train to save a passenger who'd fallen from the platform (back in January).

Cutting to the chase, with 3 cases left in play - $25, $10K, and $1M - the offer was $305,000.  He had previously turned down $148K and $209K. 

Here's what he said to a writer before going on the show:

“I feel like the black prince of America,” he had told me earlier. “I just don’t have the money yet.”

"The Man" offered him $305,000 and he rejected it.  I just don't understand.  This guy is supporting about 14-15 people (including his SON'S kids!! a story in itself)...I just don't get it.  The worst part was that he and all his family members who were present all kept saying the same thing: "Came with nothing, therefore there's nothing to lose".

Ugh.

The next case, of course, contained the million, and the final offer was $5000.  He turned that down and left with $25, plus a Jeep donated by Chrysler. 

There's still a chance he'll be able to sell his 'story' for big money, but there's already a lawsuit involved on that. 

How a man who's broke could turn down $305,000 is beyond me, but I suspect if he'd been raised differently (his father left the home when he was a young kid), he might've made a smarter choice when such good fortune came his way.

The Coach

Re: Why Black America cannot get ahead
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 10:41:22 PM »
It's Bush's fault!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 10:44:41 PM »
I blame Alberto Gonzales.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 10:46:22 PM »
Most of the stuff Bush gets blamed for should actually be blamed on the people who elected him. 
S

egj13

• Getbig III
  • Got life by the balls
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 05:24:49 AM »
Most of the stuff Bush gets blamed for should actually be blamed on the people who elected him. 

No one in America voted for Bush but it was pre planned who would win anyway.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 07:34:06 AM »
How a man who's broke could turn down $305,000 is beyond me, but I suspect if he'd been raised differently (his father left the home when he was a young kid), he might've made a smarter choice when such good fortune came his way.

There's a serious cultural problem in the black community and I applaud you for adressing it. But I think you, jag, parker and tu are all in the minority in terms of adressing these issues in that you'll never get the attention from the media, while people like Sharpton and Jackson will.

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 05:30:06 AM »
Just watched 'Deal or No Deal', an episode with Wesley Autrey, the man who jumped in the path of an oncoming subway train to save a passenger who'd fallen from the platform (back in January).

Cutting to the chase, with 3 cases left in play - $25, $10K, and $1M - the offer was $305,000.  He had previously turned down $148K and $209K. 

Here's what he said to a writer before going on the show:

“I feel like the black prince of America,” he had told me earlier. “I just don’t have the money yet.”

"The Man" offered him $305,000 and he rejected it.  I just don't understand.  This guy is supporting about 14-15 people (including his SON'S kids!! a story in itself)...I just don't get it.  The worst part was that he and all his family members who were present all kept saying the same thing: "Came with nothing, therefore there's nothing to lose".

Ugh.

The next case, of course, contained the million, and the final offer was $5000.  He turned that down and left with $25, plus a Jeep donated by Chrysler. 

There's still a chance he'll be able to sell his 'story' for big money, but there's already a lawsuit involved on that. 

What does the fact he was black have to do with the price of beans?
I've seen tons of white folks do the same thing.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 08:45:25 AM »

Nothing.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 10:13:35 AM »

The problem is that Blacks do not have the luxury of NOT being concerned about total net worth. 

egj13

• Getbig III
  • Got life by the balls
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 07:06:19 PM »

Agreed, anyone that turns down that must have more money than me! Put me on deal or no deal