Author Topic: Drug free tips to taking your arms to the next level  (Read 17966 times)

myseone

• Getbig III
Drug free tips to taking your arms to the next level
« on: May 22, 2007, 04:49:29 AM »
If you have been stuck with your arm training, meaning that you haven't seen any progress in a while, it doesn't mean that you have hit your upper limits of arm potential. I would say that most drug free trainees fall short of what they are capable of achieving regarding the building of the arms. There are certain key variables that when properly applied can take your arms to a new level. What's the next level? I'm talking about adding another inch or two on your arms without increasing your body fat level.

Here are 2 variables that i have personally applied to bring my arms to the next level

1) If you want bigger arms train your back and legs intensely. The bigger the muscle group the impact on the overall body. When you train the legs and back intensely the stress from the workout leads to a rise in your body's natural production of Human Growth Hormone (HGH) and Testosterone (Test). As you know injectable Test and HGH are taken to bring levels of muscle mass to insane levels, but this isn't without potential negative side effects. You can bring your own levels up naturally by working the big areas of the body intensely. Intensely in this case means hitting the legs and back with exercises such as the squat and deadlift for 10-20 rep sets.

2) Train your arms with low volume workouts and high volume workouts. Low volume workouts in this case means workouts that are so intense that you your arms are zapped in a few sets. Zapped means a drastic fall off in strength by the end of the workout. Low volume training or intensity training is short in duration and all out. The goal with this training is to beat a muscle up as quickly as possible with as much intensity (not duration) as possible. The weights you lift in this workout should be heavy as possible while still allowing you to lift in good style. Utilization of drop sets, forced reps, negatives etc. are encouraged as well. This type of training specifically works on increasing the actual thickness of the muscle fibers, it is this type of training that will give your arms that thick dense appearance.

An example of this type of training for biceps would be:
Cheat barbell curls (2 warm ups of 10 reps) 6-8 reps taken to failure emphasizing the negative on each rep
immediately reduce the weight by 20-30lbs and continue to failure with forced reps and negatives
again reduce the weight by 20-30lbs and continue to failure with forced reps and negatives
if your up to it repeat until your down to the empty bar

rest and repeat a second time

Chin ups palms with facing your head 2 sets to failure

Hammer curls (same method as barbell curls)

High volume workouts encourage enhanced glycogen retention when combined with a diet rich (not excessive) carbohydrate intake. Enhancing stored glycogen within a muscle causes a muscle to look fuller, leaner, more vascular and bigger. High volume workouts allow you to actually lift more weight when you go to your high intensity workouts, the opposite is also true, high intensity workouts will allow you to lift more on your high volume workouts as well. This type of training is done with minimal rest between exercises, in fact go straight to the next exercise works extremely well. With this type of workout you select 2-3 exercises for biceps and 2-3 for the triceps. These exercises can be alternated back and forth until you complete the sequence or you can perform two in superset fashion, and move onto the next two when you have completed a few sets for the first.

Use of drop sets and partials are encouraged with this type of training. The repetition style should be continuos tension, non lockout style to encourage muscle pumping. With this type of training you perform as many sets as it takes to get the maximum pump, you end when your pump starts to subside.

An example of this type of training would be:

Barbell curls for 20 reps
immediately followed by
triceps push down 20 reps
immediately followed by
chin ups 10-20 reps (or as many as you can do)
immediately followed by
parallel bar dips 15-20 reps (or as many as you can do)

rest 45 seconds and repeat or go straight in.

There are more powerful variables that allow you to take your arms to the next level but these 2 work very well, try them.

Lawrence
www.LawrenceHosannah.com

AVBG

Re: Drug free tips to taking your arms to the next level
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 05:15:52 AM »
Cool tips Lawrence, thanks for sharing man.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 11:56:31 AM »
Excellent post seone.    I do this stuff regularly (Rep ranges) and everyone thinks im a juicer 8)

AVBG

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 03:48:40 PM »
Excellent post seone.    I do this stuff regularly (Rep ranges) and everyone thinks im a juicer 8)

You should give us some time Horse.. for anyone who hasn't seen pics of Warhorse, this guy is an absolute beast!  8)

myseone

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 05:27:35 PM »
Thanks AVBG and Warhorse..

Warhorse,
What are you currently doing in terms of rep ranges, meaning how far in each direction are you stretching them? have you tried very high rep sets, 60 plus reps, What about singles, or heavy static holds?

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 08:36:13 PM »
You should give us some time Horse.. for anyone who hasn't seen pics of Warhorse, this guy is an absolute beast!  8)

Thanks AVBG. You are too cool my brother. 

Im getting my fat ass in shape as we speak.......8 weeks into diet.

Some old pics are around.   But the new ones will be dramatic for sure.!! 8)

Myseone....your genetics are amazing.  Im one of the few like you and AVBG ,that have chosen the drugfree lifestyle.............Ma ny props to all the guys and gals keeping it real and staying healthy like this sport started out to be!!! 8)

As far as arm training.    Each workout is a feel workout....I start with machine preacher curls,  6-8reps of full length then 3-4 reps of partial at top of movement, then static for 6 short reps and cramp till i cant stand it.  Thats one set.

Then i do a tricep movement.  seated machine overhead extensions.  Rep pattern is same as bicep.   I will move my elbows around a little to flex different heads of the tricep.  static hold and cramping short movements at top!!     

do this switch up 3 times...and your pumped beyond belief.

Then on to seated DB curls, one arm after another. 
With   Behind head DB extension for tricep, my elbow is close to the ear for the first slow 6 reps and flare out for the last 6 reps usually.

Then back to preacher curls with lat pushdowns....elbows flared out as far as the bar itself.....cramp at the bottom and hold on last few reps!!

So im constantly working a set of biceps and triceps without rest.

I have also gone into the gym and picked one exercise for a bodypart and done 40-50 reps....and do that 5 times and go to another bodypart.  Ill be on the machine for 5 minutes repping out and people look at me like im crazy!!! ;D

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 11:08:28 PM »
ive recently started to do something similar
on monday i do a heavy push day in the 5-7 rep range
bench
shoulder press
dips
lying tricep extensions
calf raises

followed by a light pull day on tuesday in the 15-20 rep range
squats
pull downs
bb rows
sldl
bb curls
shrugs

then i rest wed

and on thur i do a light push day
and friday a heavy pull day. seems to be working great

myseone

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 04:12:05 AM »
War horse, yeah that looks like it is intense for sure, I can see it putting muscle on.

Thank you regarding my genetics and natural status, thats definitely cool.

I think I'll put a few of my clients through the following routine. Going from more isolated movements to compound movements
after warming up

1) Duo Dumbbell curls 15 reps to failure
immediately followed by
2) Barbell Curls  10 reps to failure
immediately followed by
3) chin ups or reverse grip pull downs 5 reps to failure
rest 45 seconds and repeat 1-2 more time

4) Triceps push downs with v-bar 20 reps
immediately followed by
5) lying e-z curl bar pullovers 15 reps
immediately followed by
6) Bench Dips with weight 10 reps
immediately followed by
7) push ups with weight on back 5 reps
rest 45 secs and repeat

that should torch them

myseone

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 04:13:41 AM »
Looks good, very basic and to the point, which is actually a good thing. How long have you been training for?

Law

bench
shoulder press
dips
lying tricep extensions
calf raises

squats
pull downs
bb rows
sldl
bb curls
shrugs

then i rest wed

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 09:30:10 AM »
i started about 5 years ago for wrestling and when i got into college i followed our trainers program, this last year i have been out of college and tried a few diff things, a 5 day split and a 4 day split. ive found i get better results from the basic movements

AVBG

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 01:47:30 PM »
bench
shoulder press
dips
lying tricep extensions
calf raises

squats
pull downs
bb rows
sldl
bb curls
shrugs

then i rest wed

that's a quality routine lilwoday09smb 8)

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 02:24:04 PM »
thanxs guys

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 08:55:40 PM »
When trying for pure bicep mass, how much benefit to you feel Hammer Curls are, would it be better to just stick with Alt DB curls? I try to mix Hammers in every third workout or so, is that enough?

A few good routines here though :).

AVBG

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 09:01:50 PM »
When trying for pure bicep mass, how much benefit to you feel Hammer Curls are, would it be better to just stick with Alt DB curls? I try to mix Hammers in every third workout or so, is that enough?

A few good routines here though :).

HAMMERS are good, throw them in a bicep superset every so often.

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 09:03:57 PM »
HAMMERS are good, throw them in a bicep superset every so often.

Cheers mate, Yeah thats not a bad idea actually :).

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 10:13:14 AM »
Hammers are needed every other bicep workout to increase the width of the arm from the front veiw.....

As my last exercise i grab an 80lb dumbell with both hands at the top and curl it to my chest in partial movements....it cramps the brachlius and makes it round in flexed movements......3 set and im going home with my arms cramping!!

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2007, 04:19:05 AM »
Hammers are needed every other bicep workout to increase the width of the arm from the front veiw.....

As my last exercise i grab an 80lb dumbell with both hands at the top and curl it to my chest in partial movements....it cramps the brachlius and makes it round in flexed movements......3 set and im going home with my arms cramping!!

Quick question about this movement...  When you say you grab it with both hands at the top, do you mean you grab it from the plate, or from the Handle?  I might try this movement, just trying to understand it better.

Thanks,

Ach

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2007, 09:16:01 AM »
Quick question about this movement...  When you say you grab it with both hands at the top, do you mean you grab it from the plate, or from the Handle?  I might try this movement, just trying to understand it better.

Thanks,

Ach

You know you would hold a dumbell to do hammer curls...well its the same except that you use both hands, and one db   

Stand slightly forward and hold the hands in an overlap position and curl it up to high chest and part way down...your elbows will naturally flare out and it becomes a short piston like movement.  The cramps are crazy but it works good! ;D

Youll be suprised at how strong you are in this, maybe do 60s on first set.  I go up to 100s.............cheers.

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV
  • WILL HARRIS: BRINGING GAY BACK!
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 08:52:03 AM »
When trying for pure bicep mass

brachiallis is worked not pure bicep.

however, brachiallis gives the arm a 3-d look.
JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 10:03:32 AM »
myseone, as always....

Nice to see you contribute to the board.

Been a fan of your physique since day 1, you're helping to show what's possible.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 01:59:38 AM »

You know you would hold a dumbell to do hammer curls...well its the same except that you use both hands, and one db   

Stand slightly forward and hold the hands in an overlap position and curl it up to high chest and part way down...your elbows will naturally flare out and it becomes a short piston like movement.  The cramps are crazy but it works good! ;D

Yeah I'm gona give these a shot in this fashion as well, nice one War :).

myseone

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 06:53:12 AM »
Much respect Hedge

myseone, as always....

Nice to see you contribute to the board.

Been a fan of your physique since day 1, you're helping to show what's possible.

-Hedge

myseone

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 06:56:54 AM »
Another great way to attack the brachialis (spelling?) is with any type of rowing or chin up movements. Keeping the palms facing each other during the movement. Try performing hammer curls followed immediately by lat pulldowns with the palms facing one another.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2007, 07:05:38 AM »
to hit brach's really effectively.....

1.  one handed cable low curl---performed NOT facing the stack, or away from the stack, but standing (looking) 90 degrees to the stack..(i tried)...curl the handle up to your opposite shoulder.
---doing 4 or 5 sets strictly will do

2.  AWESOME----low cable rope curl--both hands at once--heavy up to sets of 12 or so, WITH THE LAST FEW performed as if throwing the ropes over your shoulders...

Perform these at the end of your bicep workout, and you will actually feel the brachs working

migizi

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2007, 05:16:42 AM »
I have real bad tendonitis in my right elbow, so to avoid the pain I've been doing bicep workouts that take away the forearm only portion. For instance, instead of standing barbell curl, I go sit on a bench and have the barbell with my arm straight out and supported by my legs, I curl it and squeeze real hard at top...it's all biceps. I then go to cable machine drop the appartus to floor level, and I lay down grab a straight bar, and curl the floor supports and keeps the elbows from going all the way down.  I don't have any pain, and I've noticed considerable size increase in Biceps...I usually finish the bicep workout with grabbing d-handles and curling to my ears with elbows raised slightly.  I also wait 2 days between back and biceps, once in a while I'll superset with tri's...I honestly don't work my forearms, tight grips on bars, and just deadlifts and B-bell Rows make em grow.