Author Topic: Bush Declassifies al-Qaida Intelligence  (Read 2465 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Bush Declassifies al-Qaida Intelligence
« on: May 22, 2007, 09:12:14 PM »
May 22, 11:03 PM EDT

By DEB RIECHMANN
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush, trying to defend his war strategy, declassified intelligence Tuesday asserting that Osama bin Laden ordered a top lieutenant in early 2005 to form a terrorist cell that would conduct attacks outside Iraq - and that the United States should be the top target.

The information mirrored a classified bulletin from the Homeland Security Department in March 2005, reporting that bin Laden had enlisted Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, his senior operative in Iraq, to plan potential strikes in the U.S. The warning was described at the time as credible but not specific and did not prompt the administration to raise its national terror alert level.

The declassification of the intelligence came a day before Bush was scheduled to speak about terrorism at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy.

Bush, who is battling Democrats in Congress over spending for the unpopular war in Iraq, will argue that the terrorist threat to America is real, said Frances Fragos Townsend, the White House homeland security adviser. She said Bush would talk about why Iraq is an important battleground in fighting terrorism abroad to prevent attacks on U.S. soil and highlight previously reported successes in foiling terrorist attacks.

The Bush White House has intermittently declassified and made public sensitive intelligence information to help rebut critics or defend programs or actions against possibly adverse decisions in the Congress or the courts. On a few occasions, the declassified materials were intended as proof that terrorists see Iraq as a critical staging ground for global operations.

Democrats and other critics have accused Bush of selectively declassifying intelligence, including portions of a sensitive National Intelligence Estimate on Iraq, to justify the U.S.-led invasion on the ground that Saddam Hussein's regime possessed weapons of mass destruction. That assertion proved false.

Townsend, reading from notes, said the declassified intelligence showed that in January 2005, bin Laden tasked al-Zarqawi with organizing the cell. Al-Zarqawi, the former leader of al-Qaida's Iraq operations, was killed there in June 2006 by a U.S. airstrike.

"We know from the intelligence community that al-Zarqawi welcomed the tasking and claimed he already had some good proposals," Townsend said.

She said that in the spring of 2005, bin Laden instructed Hamza Rabia, a senior operative, to brief al-Zarqawi on al-Qaida planning to attack sites outside Iraq, including the United States. She did not disclose where in the United States those attacks were being plotted.

Around the same time, Abu Fajah al-Libi, a senior al-Qaida manager, suggested that bin Laden send Rabia to Iraq to actually help al-Zarqawi plan the external operations, Townsend said. It is unclear whether Rabia went to Iraq, she said.

She said the information was declassified because the intelligence community has tracked all leads from the information.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TERRORISM?SITE=HIHAD&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

The Coach

Re: Bush Declassifies al-Qaida Intelligence
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 10:38:12 PM »

By DEB RIECHMANN
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush, trying to defend his war strategy, declassified intelligence Tuesday asserting that Osama bin Laden ordered a top lieutenant in early 2005 to form a terrorist cell that would conduct attacks outside Iraq - and that the United States should be the top target.

The information mirrored a classified bulletin from the Homeland Security Department in March 2005, reporting that bin Laden had enlisted Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, his senior operative in Iraq, to plan potential strikes in the U.S. The warning was described at the time as credible but not specific and did not prompt the administration to raise its national terror alert level.

The declassification of the intelligence came a day before Bush was scheduled to speak about terrorism at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy.

Bush, who is battling Democrats in Congress over spending for the unpopular war in Iraq, will argue that the terrorist threat to America is real, said Frances Fragos Townsend, the White House homeland security adviser. She said Bush would talk about why Iraq is an important battleground in fighting terrorism abroad to prevent attacks on U.S. soil and highlight previously reported successes in foiling terrorist attacks.

The Bush White House has intermittently declassified and made public sensitive intelligence information to help rebut critics or defend programs or actions against possibly adverse decisions in the Congress or the courts. On a few occasions, the declassified materials were intended as proof that terrorists see Iraq as a critical staging ground for global operations.

Democrats and other critics have accused Bush of selectively declassifying intelligence, including portions of a sensitive National Intelligence Estimate on Iraq, to justify the U.S.-led invasion on the ground that Saddam Hussein's regime possessed weapons of mass destruction. That assertion proved false.

Townsend, reading from notes, said the declassified intelligence showed that in January 2005, bin Laden tasked al-Zarqawi with organizing the cell. Al-Zarqawi, the former leader of al-Qaida's Iraq operations, was killed there in June 2006 by a U.S. airstrike.

"We know from the intelligence community that al-Zarqawi welcomed the tasking and claimed he already had some good proposals," Townsend said.

She said that in the spring of 2005, bin Laden instructed Hamza Rabia, a senior operative, to brief al-Zarqawi on al-Qaida planning to attack sites outside Iraq, including the United States. She did not disclose where in the United States those attacks were being plotted.

Around the same time, Abu Fajah al-Libi, a senior al-Qaida manager, suggested that bin Laden send Rabia to Iraq to actually help al-Zarqawi plan the external operations, Townsend said. It is unclear whether Rabia went to Iraq, she said.

She said the information was declassified because the intelligence community has tracked all leads from the information.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TERRORISM?SITE=HIHAD&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Just wait until the ALL of the documents are declassified!!

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 12:12:28 AM »
I really don't see what's so difficult here, either they win and we die or we win and they die. If you value your way of life nuke the sunni triangle and eradicate radical islam.

The Enigma

• Getbig IV
  • Porsche 911 Turbo Carerra. My reality, your dream.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 04:03:46 AM »

By DEB RIECHMANN
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush, trying to defend his war strategy, declassified intelligence sayng that Osama bin Laden ordered a top lieutenant in early 2005

ZZZZZZZZZZZZ 2005? Not unlike Michelle Malkin......that is old, stale news.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 07:00:54 AM »
Of course terrorists are a threat to the US. 

The extent of that threat with respect to scope and feasibility is another matter.   

Bush's illegal invasion has increased terror acts and terrorist recruiting.  Iraq was not involved with Al Qaeda or 9/11.

Let's say it again, "Iraq was not important in our seeking justice for the 9/11 attacks."

Bush screwed up.

The terrorist problem was and should be a police problem.  Use of the military for this purpose is another Bush blunder.

This declassification of information just tells us what we already know:  terrorists exist and they intend to do us harm. 

It does absolutely nothing to diminish Bush's misreading and incompetent handling of the terrorist problem. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 08:39:50 AM »
Of course terrorists are a threat to the US. 

The extent of that threat with respect to scope and feasibility is another matter.   

Bush's illegal invasion has increased terror acts and terrorist recruiting.  Iraq was not involved with Al Qaeda or 9/11.

Let's say it again, "Iraq was not important in our seeking justice for the 9/11 attacks."

That's debatable.  I've read that there were ties between Saddam and Bin Laden et al. and read that there no ties.  Bruce posted a link a few months ago that showed some pretty clear links between Saddam and terrorism before the war. 

Anyone know what happened to Bruce? 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 08:44:11 AM »
That's debatable.  I've read that there were ties between Saddam and Bin Laden et al. and read that there no ties.  Bruce posted a link a few months ago that showed some pretty clear links between Saddam and terrorism before the war. 

Anyone know what happened to Bruce? 
Yes, Hussein paid the families of suicide bombers.  That's a regional problem.  It has nothing to do with Al Qaeda and the attacks of 9/11.

Al Qaeda made overtures to Hussein but he hated them and would not respond.  Technically that is a link or contact.  But it is dishonest to characterize that as an alliance the way the Bush administration did.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 08:57:13 AM »
Yes, Hussein paid the families of suicide bombers.  That's a regional problem.  It has nothing to do with Al Qaeda and the attacks of 9/11.

Al Qaeda made overtures to Hussein but he hated them and would not respond.  Technically that is a link or contact.  But it is dishonest to characterize that as an alliance the way the Bush administration did.

I wasn't just referring to Saddam sponsoring terrorism in Israel.  There is a debate about Saddam's links to other forms of terrorism. 

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=132576.0

http://www.husseinandterror.com/

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 09:00:02 AM »
I think the Admin knows alot more then they let on about the Intel picture...i think they can't tell us allabout whats going on..no big deal. However this does not excuse the day to day bs that is the war in Iraq...guys getting blown up by IED's or trying to help worthless people.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 09:28:41 AM »
I wasn't just referring to Saddam sponsoring terrorism in Israel.  There is a debate about Saddam's links to other forms of terrorism. 

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=132576.0

http://www.husseinandterror.com/
Terrorism is a tactic.  It used throughout the Middle East.  It is a regional problem.  Iraq's support of terrorism is not associated with Al Qaeda.  Al Qaeda attacked the US on 9/11.  Iraq did not.  Palestine did not.  Israel did not.  Those countries all use terrorist tactics.

Even the US is on the docket of the World Court for terrorist acts perpetrated in Nicaragua during the Reagan administration.

The cold hard fact is that Iraq and Al Qaeda had contacts but no operational relationship.

Laughing Sam's Dice

• Getbig IV
  • $12.95 per monthman
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 09:47:48 AM »
I really don't see what's so difficult here, either they win and we die or we win and they die. If you value your way of life nuke the sunni triangle and eradicate radical islam.

Unfortunately, we can't kill religion.  Although education and communism are good steps toward it. 

P.S. Keep up the black and white thinking Methhead Mike!  There's no gray in the world.
Stick out your tongue.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 09:53:19 AM »
I do not care if Saddam did X to Y country, as long as he doesn't fck with us.

I do not care if Israel decides to nuke Baghdad.  I would have had a cold one and enjoyed the lights.

I DO CARE that it's OUR JOB to clean up a mess they don't want to start.  Saddam never attecked the US and had nothing to do with 9/11.  He was a POS, but not worth 3400 american lives.

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 09:58:13 AM »
I do not care if Saddam did X to Y country, as long as he doesn't fck with us.

I do not care if Israel decides to nuke Baghdad.  I would have had a cold one and enjoyed the lights.

I DO CARE that it's OUR JOB to clean up a mess they don't want to start.  Saddam never attecked the US and had nothing to do with 9/11.  He was a POS, but not worth 3400 american lives.

You guys are right!  We should have waited til Saddam had WMD and USED them against us, hopefully killing millions so then you dweebs would say it was ok to attack at that point.  *rolling eyes*
This is also in my mind why we should go ahead and blow Iran the fuck up.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 09:59:41 AM »
You guys are right!  We should have waited til Saddam had WMD and USED them against us, hopefully killing millions so then you dweebs would say it was ok to attack at that point.  *rolling eyes*
This is also in my mind why we should go ahead and blow Iran the fuck up.

should we nuke north korea too, rooster?

to remind you,
they fired ICBM missiles at Hawaii on the 4th of july last year.
They detonated a nuke
they have threatened to destory california
they reneged and have not complied with the recent deal in which we paid them off with billions in Oi.

The Coach

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 10:05:02 AM »
Not unlike Michelle Malkin......that is old, stale news.

Oh.....you mean from 2002??

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 10:33:53 AM »
Terrorism is a tactic.  It used throughout the Middle East.  It is a regional problem.  Iraq's support of terrorism is not associated with Al Qaeda.  Al Qaeda attacked the US on 9/11.  Iraq did not.  Palestine did not.  Israel did not.  Those countries all use terrorist tactics.

Even the US is on the docket of the World Court for terrorist acts perpetrated in Nicaragua during the Reagan administration.

The cold hard fact is that Iraq and Al Qaeda had contacts but no operational relationship.

You say that with much conviction Decker. 

And what were the extent of these "contacts"?  What were they doing?  Playing dominoes?  Talking about world peace? 

The Enigma

• Getbig IV
  • Porsche 911 Turbo Carerra. My reality, your dream.
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 10:38:07 AM »
You guys are right!  We should have waited til Saddam had WMD and USED them against us, .

What about communist China? They currently  lend the USA 2 BILLION dollars per day........I guess we can't invade our nuclear weapon holding bankers........could we?

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2007, 10:47:47 AM »
should we nuke north korea too, rooster?

to remind you,
they fired ICBM missiles at Hawaii on the 4th of july last year.
They detonated a nuke
they have threatened to destory california
they reneged and have not complied with the recent deal in which we paid them off with billions in Oi.

Hell yes, the slant eyed nation should go BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2007, 11:08:16 AM »
You say that with much conviction Decker. 

And what were the extent of these "contacts"?  What were they doing?  Playing dominoes?  Talking about world peace? 
Here is where my conviction comes from:
9/11 panel sees no link between Iraq, al-Qaida
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5223932/

Bush's own handpicked people concluded that no operational relationship existed.

Hussein's Prewar Ties To Al-Qaeda Discounted
Pentagon Report Says Contacts Were Limited

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/05/AR2007040502263.html
Saddam had no links to al-Qaeda
http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/saddam-had-no-links-to-alqaeda/2006/09/09/1157222383981.html

"THERE is no evidence of formal links between former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein and al-Qaeda leaders before the invasion of Iraq by the US in 2003, a long-awaited declassified US Senate report has revealed."

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2007, 11:41:56 AM »
Here is where my conviction comes from:
9/11 panel sees no link between Iraq, al-Qaida
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5223932/

Bush's own handpicked people concluded that no operational relationship existed.

Hussein's Prewar Ties To Al-Qaeda Discounted
Pentagon Report Says Contacts Were Limited

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/05/AR2007040502263.html
Saddam had no links to al-Qaeda
http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/saddam-had-no-links-to-alqaeda/2006/09/09/1157222383981.html

"THERE is no evidence of formal links between former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein and al-Qaeda leaders before the invasion of Iraq by the US in 2003, a long-awaited declassified US Senate report has revealed."

And yet some have a different view:  http://www.husseinandterror.com/ 

But what about these "contacts" you mentioned?  What were Saddam and Al Qaeda talking about? 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2007, 01:49:30 PM »
And yet some have a different view:  http://www.husseinandterror.com/ 

But what about these "contacts" you mentioned?  What were Saddam and Al Qaeda talking about? 
Let's see we have a civil lawsuit against Al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein with a finding that they were likely complicit in the 9/11 attacks.  A very slick tact that appeals to those not reading the case or understanding its true significance.

I read the opinion here http://www.nysd.uscourts.gov/rulings/01CV10132.pdf

After the plaintiff put on his full case w/ no defense, here is what the holding means:  Saddam may have had a hand in the 9/11 attacks because two credible experts testified that, in their opinion, this was true, and the court applied the standard that a jury could conceivably have believed them.

Slam dunk!  (irony)  Hardly an admission of an operational relationship btn IRaq & Al Qaeda.

This holding was based on evidence which has been discredited since the case concluded:

1.  The Atta in Prague meeting never took place http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atta_in_Prague

2.  The DIA and CIA concluded that Al Qaeda were never trained at Salman Pak http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salman_Pak_facility#Alleged_connections_to_terrorism

3.  Investigations by the Joint Terrorism Task Force in New York, the F.B.I., the U.S. Attorney’s office in the Southern District of New York, the C.I.A., the N.S.C., and the State Department “all found no evidence implicating the Iraqi government in the first Trade Center attack.”  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddam_Hussein_and_al-Qaeda#1993_WTC_investigations

The Smith, Soulas v. Islamic emirate et al. is worthless to prove a link btn Iraq & Al Qaeda.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2007, 06:02:07 PM »
Unfortunately, we can't kill religion.  Although education and communism are good steps toward it. 

P.S. Keep up the black and white thinking Methhead Mike!  There's no gray in the world.

My name is not a reference to recreational drugs sir, it goes way back. You're absolutely right, there is no gray area, you threaten the united states and decomocracy you should be wiped off the map it's very simple. Since you're taking the time to defend islam and communism, I would like to hear an explanation as to what islam has done for the world in the last thousand years, and how communism is better than capitalism. Go for it.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2007, 06:03:52 PM »
When does he defend either?