Author Topic: Gold's Gym Venice - A little bit of history  (Read 151294 times)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Re: Gold's Gym Venice - A little bit of history
« Reply #350 on: October 22, 2013, 10:59:06 PM »
Anybody have any good Bob   Birdsong stories. He was always one of my favorites?

I saw him once at Jack LaLanne's in West Covina, probably the late '80s. He was the biggest guy I'd ever seen in person.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #351 on: October 23, 2013, 12:32:38 PM »
Thanks, Doozie for bringing this topic back to life.

I was not aware that Birdsong was having some bad times as he was doing exceptionally well as a family man the last time I saw him at the dinner gathering south of Disneyland as mentioned earlier.

I'm going to do my best in an attempt to reach him on a cell phone and will have to ask around to see if I can get his contact number.

Speaking of which .... I recently had a very brief phone conversation with my old friend BILL GRANT but that conversation was too damn short due to driving conditions, so I'll be calling Bill again this week in an effort to bring those who may be interested ... up tp date on some of these old timeBB originators.

Will also do my best to re-contact Dennis Newman and numerous other well-known individuals within the game to see just what one and all are presently involved with. I'm sure that there are some damn interesting stories that have occured since they were on numerous magazine covers.

Other old time friends whom I will attempt to contact ... Joe Nazzario, Phil Hernon, Lee Haney, Gene Mozee, Dale Adriane, yada, yada, yada, and yada .....

Damn!!! I just managed to recall a good number of individuals have  departed this planet for better (or is it "worser" ?) places.

One good friend who has been in the BB business since the mid 1950's and who has stayed in contact with just about every other individual in the BB business might be convinced to publish a book about just about everything and everyone in the business.

Any book publishers among you GetBiggers??

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #352 on: October 24, 2013, 03:16:39 PM »
damn,    I think of all the stuff I missed living up here in Canada, and sometimes I regret not moving down there, and other times i'm damn glad I didn't. ;D

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #353 on: October 26, 2013, 01:55:17 AM »
Thanks, Doozie for bringing this topic back to life.

I was not aware that Birdsong was having some bad times as he was doing exceptionally well as a family man the last time I saw him at the dinner gathering south of Disneyland as mentioned earlier.

I'm going to do my best in an attempt to reach him on a cell phone and will have to ask around to see if I can get his contact number.

Speaking of which .... I recently had a very brief phone conversation with my old friend BILL GRANT but that conversation was too damn short due to driving conditions, so I'll be calling Bill again this week in an effort to bring those who may be interested ... up tp date on some of these old timeBB originators.

Will also do my best to re-contact Dennis Newman and numerous other well-known individuals within the game to see just what one and all are presently involved with. I'm sure that there are some damn interesting stories that have occured since they were on numerous magazine covers.

Other old time friends whom I will attempt to contact ... Joe Nazzario, Phil Hernon, Lee Haney, Gene Mozee, Dale Adriane, yada, yada, yada, and yada .....

Damn!!! I just managed to recall a good number of individuals have  departed this planet for better (or is it "worser" ?) places.

One good friend who has been in the BB business since the mid 1950's and who has stayed in contact with just about every other individual in the BB business might be convinced to publish a book about just about everything and everyone in the business.

Any book publishers among you GetBiggers??

Dennis is easy to get a hold of.

Phil is as well.... but why on earth would anybody want to talk to that piece of shit? dude's a know-it-all smug scamming piece of shit thief. disrespectfull coward these days. you'd think his time in prison would've taught him a little respect. at least CT would back up his tuff guy words, phils a coward and a piece of garbage.... not that CT isn't/wasn't. Phil reminds me of Tom Prince actually... know it all, smug, arrogant, thinks he's smarter than everybody else... except Tom was too much of a junkie loser to think far ahead enough to sell fake shit (or real shit).

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #354 on: May 25, 2015, 10:35:26 AM »
Great thread, so I'm bumping it.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #355 on: May 25, 2015, 12:15:39 PM »
Classic shit right here!!

GOLD STANDARD STUFF!

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #356 on: May 25, 2015, 02:39:52 PM »
Oh fuck I just saw this thread and got a boner. Think I missed it the first time around. Thanks for bumping it.

a_pupil

• Getbig V
« Reply #357 on: May 25, 2015, 03:51:01 PM »
Best thread on a bodybuilding forum ever.

What happened to onlyme (pip)?

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #358 on: May 25, 2015, 04:07:57 PM »
Best thread on a bodybuilding forum ever.

What happened to onlyme (pip)?

He's in that big spider web in the sky

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #359 on: May 26, 2015, 09:53:26 AM »
 ;D   bumped..
F

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #360 on: April 18, 2018, 08:41:17 PM »
Three year bump.
a

oldgolds

• Getbig IV
« Reply #361 on: April 20, 2018, 07:25:35 AM »
The 1977 Teenage Mr. Tarhill was my introduction to bodybuilding. All things considered, I should track down the guy who invited me to that show and kill him.

In the summer of 1982 we made our pilgrimage to Gold’s Gym Venice. Upon walking into the front parking lot, we immediately noticed a black 4x4 upside down, partially blocking the entrance. A strange sight, but no one seemed overly concerned, so we kept walking. As we entered, I saw both Barbarian Brothers arguing with each other about something… turns out, the upside down truck was their's. I went to the pro shop area and they were selling the current Barbarian Brothers poster. I bought the poster and went outside to get a signature. The boys were still arguing over who was at fault for the roll-over, but I stepped in and asked for an autograph. David looked at Peter… Peter looked back at David and then they both looked at me and said “Sure big man, you got a pen?” There we were, David, Peter, me and the upside down truck… I still remember the signature on the poster; "To Tom, The higher you climb, the farther you can see."    You should’ve been there.

I made it back to The Mecca a few times during the next few years. Always a great workout. Always a little memory of bodybuilding. The last workout we had, before I went to the Joint for five years, was at Gold’s Gym Venice. Don’t remember what I trained, but  I do remember looking at the old style peg board, above the water fountain in the front room. On the board, was a 4 x 6 picture of Peter Paul with the most absurd neck pump I had ever seen... 21” minimum, vascular, awesome. I looked around… the coast was clear… I stole the picture.   You should’ve been there.

They had to let me go in 1989, and one of the first things I did, was drive to Venice and train at The Mecca. Soon after that we moved to Santa Monica. My girlfriend was a competitive bodybuilder, and I was racing bicycles, so we were @ Gold’s Venice 25-30 hrs per week…

Don Ross has been my friend since 1981. He had a little office above the posing room, at Gold’s Venice. Great office. One day in 1989, Don, my girlfriend & me, were sitting in the office discussing bodybuilding and it's absurdities. There was a knock on the door… in walks Samir Bannout, 1984 Mr. Olympia (edit 1983 Mr. O). We proceeded to smoke some of Don’s finest northern California sensimilla (seedless & purple). An hour later we came pouring out of Don’s office, smoke billowing, stoned to the hilt.--- A few weeks later, Don and I were out front of Gold's one sunny day and a sand colored Hummer came rolling down Hampton Dr. A big man behind the wheel, smoking a cigar calls out, "Ripper Savage!" Don yells back, "Arnold!!" We keep talking... Don says "Pretty cool huh?" I just smiled.    You should’ve been there.

In 1992 my bodybuilding girlfriend was long gone. Too many injuries and lack of talent had ended my racing career. The couch tour was close and my car's back seat was a poor bed... then one day, Gold’s Gym Manager Darin Lannighan walked by me in the gym and asked, “Hey dude, do you still want a job here?” “Absolutely”, I said.  Darin says, “Cool, be here tomorrow morning at 4am, I’ll get you a key and you’ll be our opener.” I laughed the rest of my workout.     You should've been there.

1992 – 1997. Wow. Sleeping in the back room. Sleeping in the posing room. Having a gang bang in the posing room. Finding an IFBB pro sleeping in the posing room, because he was homeless (that's OK, been there, done that). Watching Brian Regan (A REAL hell raiser) put a .45 in Joe Cosmo’s face at the front desk and watching Joe pee his pants (that happens). Slinging gear over the front counter. Telling Ed Connors that Don Ross was gone  Telling Nessler that Kurt Colbain was dead.  Working the front desk at 4:20am during the Northridge earthquake, and thinking it was funny that everyone was running out of the gym, and then running right back into the gym. Getting drunk with James Caan. Cigar night at Shatzi's (Arnold's rest. on Main St) Hookers for free. Strippers for free. Getting arrested in the 2nd room at Gold’s Venice by LAPD. Comped at every bar in Hollywood (the doorman & bartenders all trained at Gold's Venice).

Teaching movie stars about Clenbuterol (real Stars, not bodybuilding movie stars). Teaching convicts how to pass their drug test. Making $50,000 a year legit, and having a fucking blast doing it. Every year, after the “O”  talking and training with Dorian & Leroy.  Listening to Flex, Dillet , and Cormier,  talking about Dorian and hearing them say, “Fuck, we’re at least a year, maybe two years behind him.” Changing out the floor in the front room and having LAPD show up at 3am to shut down the loud music and party. Sparing with World Champion Dennis Alexio in the kickboxing class.Trying to convince my friend Danny, who was working the entry gate that day, that the "homeless dude" who just came in actually  was Keeanu Reeves. Danny thought it was some bum "who had stolen Keanu's membership". ;D  Taking a break in the front parking lot and watching two Border Brothers steal Tom MaGee's (1984 World Strongest Man) Chevy Z28. ;D Tom asked me. "Tom, why didn't you stop them?" I said, "Tommy, I didn't realize it was your Z28 until they were driving away. Sorry."

Doing 15 minutes worth of tire smoking full-power burnouts, in the front lot @2:30am, while LAPD stood by w/15 cars, and watched, and finally an LAPD Sgt. walked over and said, "Look dude, we're trying to plan a raid on the crackhouse down the street, we're staging in your parking lot across the street, would you please stop doing burnouts!!"  ;D Taking smack from a biker for membership because he didn’t have any cash, and giving it to a strung out hooker (no payback required). Breaking up a fight between Titus and some other idiot in the front room. Finding David Dearth (Who is a very cool dude, and just had a little too much that night) OD’ed on Nubain, sound asleep on the treadmill  Getting called at 3am by numerous bodybuilders, because their girlfriend was OD’ing on GHB and they wanted to know what to do. Having "Candy night" and watching Melissa Coates laugh so hard it made me pee in my pants. Watching a dude (a regular late night lunatic) who left his gym pants at home, try and train in a shirt only, because, "I pulled my shirt down real low and you really couldn't see my sack."  ;D    You should’ve been there.

1997- 2007 pending…

Sordid and sad is right.....Bodybuilding is a bastion of lowlifes and losers....

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #362 on: April 20, 2018, 10:27:33 AM »
Nah, they ain't all a bunch of losers. Its just that those kind of guys (and gals too) are most interesting to read about on this here GetBig Board.

I've had the honor of meeting some damn fine, world-widw 'gym members' during my life-time whom never do anything that would be of interest to most GetBiggers.

I forgot all about this thread and with Tommy's consent if I get the time, I'll try to update it a bit.

I do now realize that I made a mistake on the first page saying that Gary Strydom won the America, but I meant to say ...Gary Leonard.

I don't think anyone caught that error!

You still aound, Tommy?

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
« Reply #363 on: April 20, 2018, 01:57:51 PM »
The 1977 Teenage Mr. Tarhill was my introduction to bodybuilding. All things considered, I should track down the guy who invited me to that show and kill him.

In the summer of 1982 we made our pilgrimage to Gold’s Gym Venice. Upon walking into the front parking lot, we immediately noticed a black 4x4 upside down, partially blocking the entrance. A strange sight, but no one seemed overly concerned, so we kept walking. As we entered, I saw both Barbarian Brothers arguing with each other about something… turns out, the upside down truck was their's. I went to the pro shop area and they were selling the current Barbarian Brothers poster. I bought the poster and went outside to get a signature. The boys were still arguing over who was at fault for the roll-over, but I stepped in and asked for an autograph. David looked at Peter… Peter looked back at David and then they both looked at me and said “Sure big man, you got a pen?” There we were, David, Peter, me and the upside down truck… I still remember the signature on the poster; "To Tom, The higher you climb, the farther you can see."    You should’ve been there.

I made it back to The Mecca a few times during the next few years. Always a great workout. Always a little memory of bodybuilding. The last workout we had, before I went to the Joint for five years, was at Gold’s Gym Venice. Don’t remember what I trained, but  I do remember looking at the old style peg board, above the water fountain in the front room. On the board, was a 4 x 6 picture of Peter Paul with the most absurd neck pump I had ever seen... 21” minimum, vascular, awesome. I looked around… the coast was clear… I stole the picture.   You should’ve been there.

They had to let me go in 1989, and one of the first things I did, was drive to Venice and train at The Mecca. Soon after that we moved to Santa Monica. My girlfriend was a competitive bodybuilder, and I was racing bicycles, so we were @ Gold’s Venice 25-30 hrs per week…

Don Ross has been my friend since 1981. He had a little office above the posing room, at Gold’s Venice. Great office. One day in 1989, Don, my girlfriend & me, were sitting in the office discussing bodybuilding and it's absurdities. There was a knock on the door… in walks Samir Bannout, 1984 Mr. Olympia (edit 1983 Mr. O). We proceeded to smoke some of Don’s finest northern California sensimilla (seedless & purple). An hour later we came pouring out of Don’s office, smoke billowing, stoned to the hilt.--- A few weeks later, Don and I were out front of Gold's one sunny day and a sand colored Hummer came rolling down Hampton Dr. A big man behind the wheel, smoking a cigar calls out, "Ripper Savage!" Don yells back, "Arnold!!" We keep talking... Don says "Pretty cool huh?" I just smiled.    You should’ve been there.

In 1992 my bodybuilding girlfriend was long gone. Too many injuries and lack of talent had ended my racing career. The couch tour was close and my car's back seat was a poor bed... then one day, Gold’s Gym Manager Darin Lannighan walked by me in the gym and asked, “Hey dude, do you still want a job here?” “Absolutely”, I said.  Darin says, “Cool, be here tomorrow morning at 4am, I’ll get you a key and you’ll be our opener.” I laughed the rest of my workout.     You should've been there.

1992 – 1997. Wow. Sleeping in the back room. Sleeping in the posing room. Having a gang bang in the posing room. Finding an IFBB pro sleeping in the posing room, because he was homeless (that's OK, been there, done that). Watching Brian Regan (A REAL hell raiser) put a .45 in Joe Cosmo’s face at the front desk and watching Joe pee his pants (that happens). Slinging gear over the front counter. Telling Ed Connors that Don Ross was gone  Telling Nessler that Kurt Colbain was dead.  Working the front desk at 4:20am during the Northridge earthquake, and thinking it was funny that everyone was running out of the gym, and then running right back into the gym. Getting drunk with James Caan. Cigar night at Shatzi's (Arnold's rest. on Main St) Hookers for free. Strippers for free. Getting arrested in the 2nd room at Gold’s Venice by LAPD. Comped at every bar in Hollywood (the doorman & bartenders all trained at Gold's Venice).

Teaching movie stars about Clenbuterol (real Stars, not bodybuilding movie stars). Teaching convicts how to pass their drug test. Making $50,000 a year legit, and having a fucking blast doing it. Every year, after the “O”  talking and training with Dorian & Leroy.  Listening to Flex, Dillet , and Cormier,  talking about Dorian and hearing them say, “Fuck, we’re at least a year, maybe two years behind him.” Changing out the floor in the front room and having LAPD show up at 3am to shut down the loud music and party. Sparing with World Champion Dennis Alexio in the kickboxing class.Trying to convince my friend Danny, who was working the entry gate that day, that the "homeless dude" who just came in actually  was Keeanu Reeves. Danny thought it was some bum "who had stolen Keanu's membership". ;D  Taking a break in the front parking lot and watching two Border Brothers steal Tom MaGee's (1984 World Strongest Man) Chevy Z28. ;D Tom asked me. "Tom, why didn't you stop them?" I said, "Tommy, I didn't realize it was your Z28 until they were driving away. Sorry."

Doing 15 minutes worth of tire smoking full-power burnouts, in the front lot @2:30am, while LAPD stood by w/15 cars, and watched, and finally an LAPD Sgt. walked over and said, "Look dude, we're trying to plan a raid on the crackhouse down the street, we're staging in your parking lot across the street, would you please stop doing burnouts!!"  ;D Taking smack from a biker for membership because he didn’t have any cash, and giving it to a strung out hooker (no payback required). Breaking up a fight between Titus and some other idiot in the front room. Finding David Dearth (Who is a very cool dude, and just had a little too much that night) OD’ed on Nubain, sound asleep on the treadmill  Getting called at 3am by numerous bodybuilders, because their girlfriend was OD’ing on GHB and they wanted to know what to do. Having "Candy night" and watching Melissa Coates laugh so hard it made me pee in my pants. Watching a dude (a regular late night lunatic) who left his gym pants at home, try and train in a shirt only, because, "I pulled my shirt down real low and you really couldn't see my sack."  ;D    You should’ve been there.

1997- 2007 pending…

this is one of the best posts I've ever read on this site. thanks for telling.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #364 on: May 15, 2018, 09:58:00 PM »
Happy to share iron brother.
a

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #365 on: May 15, 2018, 10:10:26 PM »
I am so glad ive got some gold's gym stories (2012 to current) for me - nothing like tommy lol

i got lucky as can be - my co-worker/partner relocated to Marina Del Rey (she lived right across the cheesecake factory if you know the area) and i could walk to golds. that became my second home and then i got licensed in CA (broker) so i had a reason to go back all the time

my personal best moments for me:
i caught mike o hearn double take  when i was training super hard - he trains at 4am - too damn early
did some posing with world will harris (we both went to ASU) this was right before the culver city show
seeing arnold 2 feet away (he used to go early sunday AM) no one else was there but you can bump into him on sundays

I love golds venice

so lucky my best friend lived walking distance to that place - i got lucky lol

google owns the building i was told?

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #366 on: May 15, 2018, 10:13:41 PM »

Sordid and sad is right.....Bodybuilding is a bastion of lowlifes and losers....

its a beauty contest - not a group full of Mensa members and Rhodes scholars 

usmcdevildoc

• Getbig III
« Reply #367 on: May 16, 2018, 10:47:32 PM »
its a beauty contest - not a group full of Mensa members and Rhodes scholars 

What about the "house guests"?? Who were they and how many were there? Did they submit?
Lol.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #368 on: May 17, 2018, 07:01:50 AM »
I don’t know how I missed all this juicy shit. I’ve been there forever but not a social bee. Keep to myself and workout and leave. It is cool being recognized by the old pros etc when I head back in to town. Still the best gym in the world. Second best is the brickyard 😉

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #369 on: May 17, 2018, 05:39:28 PM »
I don’t know how I missed all this juicy shit. I’ve been there forever but not a social bee. Keep to myself and workout and leave. It is cool being recognized by the old pros etc when I head back in to town. Still the best gym in the world. Second best is the brickyard 😉

by far the best gym in the world

FrancoGironda

• Getbig II
  • Golden Era Bodybuilding
« Reply #370 on: May 09, 2020, 02:06:26 PM »
Wow this was such a great thread to read I loved reading the old stories!  :)

ARMZ

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #371 on: May 09, 2020, 06:44:36 PM »

In the summer of 1982 we made our pilgrimage to Gold’s Gym Venice. Upon walking into the front parking lot, we immediately noticed a black 4x4 upside down, partially blocking the entrance. A strange sight, but no one seemed overly concerned, so we kept walking. As we entered, I saw both Barbarian Brothers arguing with each other about something… turns out, the upside down truck was their's. I went to the pro shop area and they were selling the current Barbarian Brothers poster. I bought the poster and went outside to get a signature. The boys were still arguing over who was at fault for the roll-over, but I stepped in and asked for an autograph. David looked at Peter… Peter looked back at David and then they both looked at me and said “Sure big man, you got a pen?” There we were, David, Peter, me and the upside down truck… I still remember the signature on the poster; "To Tom, The higher you climb, the farther you can see."    You should’ve been there.

I made it back to The Mecca a few times during the next few years. Always a great workout. Always a little memory of bodybuilding. The last workout we had, before I went to the Joint for five years, was at Gold’s Gym Venice. Don’t remember what I trained, but  I do remember looking at the old style peg board, above the water fountain in the front room. On the board, was a 4 x 6 picture of Peter Paul with the most absurd neck pump I had ever seen... 21” minimum, vascular, awesome. I looked around… the coast was clear… I stole the picture.   You should’ve been there.

Don Ross has been my friend since 1981. He had a little office above the posing room, at Gold’s Venice. Great office. One day in 1989, Don, my girlfriend & me, were sitting in the office discussing bodybuilding and it's absurdities. There was a knock on the door… in walks Samir Bannout, 1984 Mr. Olympia (edit 1983 Mr. O). We proceeded to smoke some of Don’s finest northern California sensimilla (seedless & purple). An hour later we came pouring out of Don’s office, smoke billowing, stoned to the hilt.--- A few weeks later, Don and I were out front of Gold's one sunny day and a sand colored Hummer came rolling down Hampton Dr. A big man behind the wheel, smoking a cigar calls out, "Ripper Savage!" Don yells back, "Arnold!!" We keep talking... Don says "Pretty cool huh?" I just smiled.    You should’ve been there.

In 1992 my bodybuilding girlfriend was long gone. Too many injuries and lack of talent had ended my racing career. The couch tour was close and my car's back seat was a poor bed... then one day, Gold’s Gym Manager Darin Lannighan walked by me in the gym and asked, “Hey dude, do you still want a job here?” “Absolutely”, I said.  Darin says, “Cool, be here tomorrow morning at 4am, I’ll get you a key and you’ll be our opener.” I laughed the rest of my workout.     You should've been there.

1992 – 1997. Wow. Sleeping in the back room. Sleeping in the posing room. Having a gang bang in the posing room. Finding an IFBB pro sleeping in the posing room, because he was homeless (that's OK, been there, done that). Watching Brian Regan (A REAL hell raiser) put a .45 in Joe Cosmo’s face at the front desk and watching Joe pee his pants (that happens). Slinging gear over the front counter. Telling Ed Connors that Don Ross was gone  Telling Nessler that Kurt Colbain was dead.  Working the front desk at 4:20am during the Northridge earthquake, and thinking it was funny that everyone was running out of the gym, and then running right back into the gym. Getting drunk with James Caan. Cigar night at Shatzi's (Arnold's rest. on Main St) Hookers for free. Strippers for free. Getting arrested in the 2nd room at Gold’s Venice by LAPD. Comped at every bar in Hollywood (the doorman & bartenders all trained at Gold's Venice).

Teaching movie stars about Clenbuterol (real Stars, not bodybuilding movie stars). Teaching convicts how to pass their drug test. Making $50,000 a year legit, and having a fucking blast doing it. Every year, after the “O”  talking and training with Dorian & Leroy.  Listening to Flex, Dillet , and Cormier,  talking about Dorian and hearing them say, “Fuck, we’re at least a year, maybe two years behind him.” Changing out the floor in the front room and having LAPD show up at 3am to shut down the loud music and party. Sparing with World Champion Dennis Alexio in the kickboxing class.Trying to convince my friend Danny, who was working the entry gate that day, that the "homeless dude" who just came in actually  was Keeanu Reeves. Danny thought it was some bum "who had stolen Keanu's membership". ;D  Taking a break in the front parking lot and watching two Border Brothers steal Tom MaGee's (1984 World Strongest Man) Chevy Z28. ;D Tom asked me. "Tom, why didn't you stop them?" I said, "Tommy, I didn't realize it was your Z28 until they were driving away. Sorry."

Doing 15 minutes worth of tire smoking full-power burnouts, in the front lot @2:30am, while LAPD stood by w/15 cars, and watched, and finally an LAPD Sgt. walked over and said, "Look dude, we're trying to plan a raid on the crackhouse down the street, we're staging in your parking lot across the street, would you please stop doing burnouts!!"  ;D Taking smack from a biker for membership because he didn’t have any cash, and giving it to a strung out hooker (no payback required). Breaking up a fight between Titus and some other idiot in the front room. Finding David Dearth (Who is a very cool dude, and just had a little too much that night) OD’ed on Nubain, sound asleep on the treadmill  Getting called at 3am by numerous bodybuilders, because their girlfriend was OD’ing on GHB and they wanted to know what to do. Having "Candy night" and watching Melissa Coates laugh so hard it made me pee in my pants. Watching a dude (a regular late night lunatic) who left his gym pants at home, try and train in a shirt only, because, "I pulled my shirt down real low and you really couldn't see my sack."  ;D    You should’ve been there.

1997- 2007 pending…

Just read your story. What kind of bikes did you race in the early 90s?
I might know you if it was BMX.  I raced in that area at that time. At Orange Y
I rode for Subway and then Vans on the National circuit at that time.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #372 on: June 04, 2020, 03:37:51 PM »

Gold's Gym Venice today - boarded up, worried about the riots and looting...

Hopefully, things will be better when the gyms can open back up

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #373 on: June 04, 2020, 07:03:27 PM »

They should send all the bbers there, standing in the front, guarding it

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #374 on: June 04, 2020, 08:29:41 PM »

I got word today of a couple of things. The first, and I know it’s just a rumor, that Ed Conner is thinking about purchasing Golds 🤷‍♂️

And the other was Dave Fishers Powerhouse gym will be reopening on Monday.