Author Topic: Mr. O 2007 on ESPN??  (Read 3954 times)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Re: Mr. O 2007 on ESPN??
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2007, 10:24:48 PM »
If bodybuilders want to be seen on ESPN, they're gonna have to get really good at poker.

Wombat

• Getbig IV
  • Your name tattooed to my ass!
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2007, 10:30:08 PM »
yeah that will cause the sport to grow. bbing.com gets alot more looks then espn ::)

the sport will never grow until it gets out of this little cocoon its been in for years. it needs new fans. becoming more mainstream instead of being freak sport with a cult following.

bodybuilding was on espn ect...It did not make the sport grow...It probably actually had the opposite effect...

What do you think Joe public thought to themselves when they watched female bodybuilding shows on TV a few years back? These men and women are freaks and always will be...

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2007, 11:20:23 PM »
For now we need to build a bigger base of fans, and the best way to do that is to webcast it FREE to the world....

In the mean time....be sure to catch the upcoming webcast of the Colorado Pro this weekend!!

Atlantic

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2007, 01:23:58 AM »
We will watch the web cast; but I am saying have it on ESPN for free not Pay-per-view.  This will make the sport be spread everywhere

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2007, 01:36:37 AM »
A free webcast of the Mr. O on a bodybuilding site, which already shows free webcasts of bodybuilding competitions is going to have minimal if any impact on building a fan base.  Great for bodybuilding.com supplement sales, but ain't going to do squat for growing bodybuilding's fan base.  TV would give bodybuilding exposure and open many avenues for bodybuilders. 

tony b

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2007, 02:11:51 AM »
For now we need to build a bigger base of fans, and the best way to do that is to webcast it FREE to the world....

In the mean time....be sure to catch the upcoming webcast of the Colorado Pro this weekend!!

Good initiative. But I agree with what was mentioned above. TV is the horizon which is missing. You guys say it all the time about all the bucktooth jackasses with names like BigGunXXXX. You have already got this market that are on the message boards and the internet. You need to go broader.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2007, 09:25:48 AM »
A free webcast of the Mr. O on a bodybuilding site, which already shows free webcasts of bodybuilding competitions is going to have minimal if any impact on building a fan base.  Great for bodybuilding.com supplement sales, but ain't going to do squat for growing bodybuilding's fan base.  TV would give bodybuilding exposure and open many avenues for bodybuilders. 

I disagree....

We dont appeal the the majority of fan base WITHIN the bodybuilding community. There are hundreds of thousands of people that are into fitness, bb, exercise, etc....that we need to focus on...not the "mainstream" that aren't interested anyway.

All TV does at this point is put it out there to people that could care less because they have no interest on what they're looking at, dont know the athletes and therefore dont identify with anyone or the sport.

The UFC is a great example...look at the ratings soar when they put a reality show on, showcasing the athletes and their personalities.

FIRST we create a bigger base...THEN we go for TV/ PPV, when higher ratings will equate to bigger named sponsors, which will (hopefully) mean bigger paydays for the athletes.

Scooby

• Getbig II
  • Can you dig it?
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2007, 09:58:16 AM »
FIRST we create a bigger base...THEN we go for TV/ PPV, when higher ratings will equate to bigger named sponsors, which will (hopefully) mean bigger paydays for the athletes.

Wow... Deja Vu... Sounds like a conversation I had with a guy about a year after he won the USA and it was a damn good idea back then too. 

Chick... now that you have made in-roads with the Hollyweird crowd can't you make this happen? 
Spike should be all over it, especially if it included segments on Fitness and Figure girls.  Maybe like a Real World type show with the top competitors from all categories living in the same house as they prepare for the Olympia.  Have it start 13 weeks out with introductions, etc. then week 12 begins contest prep... leading up to the final episode being the "O".

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2007, 10:08:35 AM »
Wow... Deja Vu... Sounds like a conversation I had with a guy about a year after he won the USA and it was a damn good idea back then too. 

Chick... now that you have made in-roads with the Hollyweird crowd can't you make this happen? 
Spike should be all over it, especially if it included segments on Fitness and Figure girls.  Maybe like a Real World type show with the top competitors from all categories living in the same house as they prepare for the Olympia.  Have it start 13 weeks out with introductions, etc. then week 12 begins contest prep... leading up to the final episode being the "O".

Ahhh..you are wise my friend!

Some of theose reality show ideas have been tossed around...not sure if it would have the same impact, but certainly a step in the right direction.

One thing I am doing, is putting together a series starting in about 3 weeks...where I travel around and film the guys qualified for the Olympia...in real time....meaning, you will see this footage about 2 days after we shoot it. Real training footage, not footage of a guy 5 days out, depleated, dehydrated, heavy training is done, etc....

Training, and "Bob Costas" style interview segment...in depth and real.

I see this as much the sameas watching a NFL game every week in anticipation of the Superbowl....same concept....follow along, see the progress (or lack of...) pick your favorites, like a guy and root him on...hate a guy and hope he fails, etc.....

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2007, 10:18:29 AM »

The UFC is a great example...look at the ratings soar when they put a reality show on, showcasing the athletes and their personalities.

The inherent problem with a reality show about bodybuilders is that it won't be "real," as a big part of it, the drug use, will be swept under the rug.

musclehedz

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2007, 10:37:22 AM »

Awesome! Lets hope the servers have enough capacity for the audience.

Scooby

• Getbig II
  • Can you dig it?
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2007, 01:04:55 PM »
One thing I am doing, is putting together a series starting in about 3 weeks...where I travel around and film the guys qualified for the Olympia...in real time....meaning,

Wow... starting in 3 weeks, don't you think thats a little soon?  Most of the guys will still be in line at the local Krispy Kream, Mickey D's, or sitting at home waiting on their FedEx contest prep package.

Where will these shows be airing?
Oh wait... let me guess... Bodybuilding.com???  If so aren't you then only showing it to the crowd who already is engrossed in what goes on anyway?  What about NEW fans?

Colossus_1986

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2007, 01:11:04 PM »
Ahhh..you are wise my friend!

One thing I am doing, is putting together a series starting in about 3 weeks...where I travel around and film the guys qualified for the Olympia...in real time....meaning, you will see this footage about 2 days after we shoot it. Real training footage, not footage of a guy 5 days out, depleated, dehydrated, heavy training is done, etc....

Yeah! who the hell want's to see a guy in crisp contest shape anyways!? ::)
i've always been a fan of the bloated off-season look

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2007, 04:01:42 PM »
What does the AMI have to do to get the Mr. Olympia on ESPN??  If they can do it.  It will be a great start for bodybuilding on TV.

So what does Chang & McGough have to do to make it happen?? 

Correct me if I am wrong...I thought ESPN only showed sports.  Is bodybuilding a sport?   ;)

Just kidding!  The point is debatable, but the Olympia should be on ESPN.  They have enough channels they should be able to spare 1 or 2 hours for the top pro bodybuilding show.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2007, 04:09:48 PM »
Wow... starting in 3 weeks, don't you think thats a little soon?  Most of the guys will still be in line at the local Krispy Kream, Mickey D's, or sitting at home waiting on their FedEx contest prep package.

Where will these shows be airing?
Oh wait... let me guess... Bodybuilding.com???  If so aren't you then only showing it to the crowd who already is engrossed in what goes on anyway?  What about NEW fans?

here are MILLIONS of unique visitors at BB.com....literally. There are plenty of fans to cater to right in our own backyard...making NEW fans of people that are already in the industry is my goal...

If we build it, they will come

Luga74

• Getbig II
  • If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle......
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2007, 05:21:30 PM »
Chick, why can't a show say like the Olympia be shown on a cable channel like FIT TV as a place to start before a thought to jump to mainstream TV like ESPN. Has something like that ever been talked about??

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2007, 06:36:49 PM »
Chick, why can't a show say like the Olympia be shown on a cable channel like FIT TV as a place to start before a thought to jump to mainstream TV like ESPN. Has something like that ever been talked about??

It is what it is...I'm here NOW to try and fix it, not figure out the why's and such of the past and what they failed to do.

In this present day and time, the internet is catching up to TV, with the quality being much better, connection speed, etc.

For all intent...the internet actualy serves us better as a whole, being that we can broadcast to the WORLD, not just the U.S...FREE...and start to build what should have been built many years ago by those before us.

Sergio Rules 77

• Getbig III
  • Sergio can split the atom. With his bare hands.
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2007, 06:56:55 PM »
Who wants to see refridgerator style physiques anyway

She does.

SERGIO!!!!
Ugh, my retirement grease

Wombat

• Getbig IV
  • Your name tattooed to my ass!
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2007, 09:40:28 PM »
How funny it would be to see a Big Brother type program where you take 10 single national level guys and put them in a house with 10 single fitness model type females for 30 days....Voting each other off each week ect....

The winner goes pro and gets a supplement contract...

PORKY

• Getbig III
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2007, 02:56:57 AM »
How then did Musclemania and Superbody make it through ESPN/International?Musclemania still claims that their programs are aired on ESPN International. ???
P

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2007, 05:07:31 PM »
It is what it is...I'm here NOW to try and fix it, not figure out the why's and such of the past and what they failed to do.

In this present day and time, the internet is catching up to TV, with the quality being much better, connection speed, etc.

For all intent...the internet actualy serves us better as a whole, being that we can broadcast to the WORLD, not just the U.S...FREE...and start to build what should have been built many years ago by those before us.

The quality of the internet still hasn't caught up and I can't watch the web feed on my big screen TV.  Having the internet feed is great and allows the program to be broadcast widely, but you have to get it on TV is you want to give fans the best quality available.  Why can't Bodybuilding.com work with other supplement companies to sponsor the program and push ESPN, FIT TV, FOX Sports or some other cable sports channel to broadcast it on TV?

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2007, 06:07:19 PM »
The quality of the internet still hasn't caught up and I can't watch the web feed on my big screen TV.  Having the internet feed is great and allows the program to be broadcast widely, but you have to get it on TV is you want to give fans the best quality available.  Why can't Bodybuilding.com work with other supplement companies to sponsor the program and push ESPN, FIT TV, FOX Sports or some other cable sports channel to broadcast it on TV?

TV time is expensive, and the numbers have to justify it being there...to this time, that hasen't been the case.

I'm not saying it cant be done, but I do believe by generating more interest at this time...we put ourselves in a better position to capitalize on that interest, and make it a profitable venture.

Colossus_1986

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2007, 08:24:48 AM »
TV time is expensive, and the numbers have to justify it being there...to this time, that hasen't been the case.

I'm not saying it cant be done, but I do believe by generating more interest at this time...we put ourselves in a better position to capitalize on that interest, and make it a profitable venture.

look at chick and his big words! he's so smart!! that's why we love him!  :)

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2007, 08:29:59 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong...I thought ESPN only showed sports.  Is bodybuilding a sport?   ;)

Just kidding!  The point is debatable, but the Olympia should be on ESPN.  They have enough channels they should be able to spare 1 or 2 hours for the top pro bodybuilding show.

It all goes back to ratings.

Why is every network out there showing some sort of shitty "reality" show? Because some airheads are watching.
HAHA, RON.....

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2007, 08:36:45 AM »