Author Topic: Hillary Supporter Rips Romney's Mormon Faith  (Read 2578 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Hillary Supporter Rips Romney's Mormon Faith
« on: May 29, 2007, 09:05:28 AM »
Ouch.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 10:00 a.m. EDT
Hillary Supporter Rips Romney's Mormon Faith

Mitt Romney's visit to New Hampshire started on a sour note Tuesday when a restaurant patron declared he would not vote for the Republican presidential contender because of his faith.

"I'm one person who will not vote for a Mormon," Al Michaud of Dover shouted at Romney when the former Massachusetts governor approached him inside Harvey's Bakery. Romney was kicking off the second of two day's worth of campaign visits in the lead primary state.

Romney kept smiling as he asked, "Can I shake your hand anyway?"

Michaud replied, "No."

Michaud later told reporters he was not "a right-winger," alluding to some evangelical Christians who have compared Romney's faith to a cult. Instead, Michaud stated he was "a liberal."

He said he planned to vote for Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y., should she win the Democratic presidential nomination.

If elected, Romney would be the first Mormon to serve in the White House.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2007/5/29/100154.shtml?s=ic

Laughing Sam's Dice

• Getbig IV
  • $12.95 per monthman
Re: Hillary Supporter Rips Romney's Mormon Faith
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 09:11:37 AM »
Why would anyone think Mormonism is a cult.  Doesn't everyone belief that Jesus stashed a book in the North America so that the true religion could be discovered by the white man 1900 years later?
Stick out your tongue.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 10:33:44 AM »
Why would anyone think Mormonism is a cult.  Doesn't everyone belief that Jesus stashed a book in the North America so that the true religion could be discovered by the white man 1900 years later?

I wonder that too.

Because we all know black people are not followers of God... ::)

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 10:38:52 AM »
Mormons have some bad history to deal with, but so do many other religions, including Christianity.  All of the Mormons I know are good people, so I don't really have any basis, on a personal level, to dislike them. 

Laughing Sam's Dice

• Getbig IV
  • $12.95 per monthman
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 10:45:37 AM »
All of the Mormons I know are good people, so I don't really have any basis, on a personal level, to dislike them. 

Good people or not, are you going to vote for somebody who believes that the moon is made of green cheese, and did missionary work spreading that belief?
Stick out your tongue.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 10:53:16 AM »
Good people or not, are you going to vote for somebody who believes that the moon is made of green cheese, and did missionary work spreading that belief?

Sure.  Just like I voted for people, Republican and Democrat, who believe some mysterious "God" created the earth and controls the universe, sent His Son in human form to earth through immaculate conception, allowed Him to be crucified, raised from the dead, and then disappeared to a place called "heaven" to build a home for humans who will one day be whisked away to live in "mansions" in the sky.   

What religion doesn't have a story that sounds pretty wild? 

Laughing Sam's Dice

• Getbig IV
  • $12.95 per monthman
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 10:55:13 AM »
That's why I wish we had sensible atheists running for office.  Not people who believe weird religious myths.
Stick out your tongue.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 10:59:50 AM »
That's why I wish we had sensible atheists running for office.  Not people who believe weird religious myths.

Yeah.  We could have people running for office who believe some "big bang" created a single celled creature that spawned all human life.  That we all descended from fish or monkeys.  Now that's weird. 

Honestly, I don't see much distinction on the "weirdness" scale between a religious person's view of the origins of life, and life in general, and someone who believes in nothing, or that his uncle was a monkey.  They all sound like fairy tales.  They all require an element of faith.

One thing is certain:  you will never see an atheist elected president of the United States.   :)   

Laughing Sam's Dice

• Getbig IV
  • $12.95 per monthman
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 11:06:48 AM »
Honestly, I don't see much distinction on the "weirdness" scale between a religious person's view of the origins of life, and life in general, and someone who believes in nothing, or that his uncle was a monkey.  

Evolution seems weird to you? 

One thing is certain:  you will never see an atheist elected president of the United States.   :)  

Why would you be happy about the likelihood that U.S. citizens will always require candidates to have a belief in some fairy tale in order to be elected president?
Stick out your tongue.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 11:17:42 AM »
Evolution seems weird to you? 

Why would you be happy about the likelihood that U.S. citizens will always require candidates to have a belief in some fairy tale in order to be elected president?

Microevolution is not weird to me.  Macroevolution is absolutely weird.  No question about it.  And we lack the evidence to prove both the origins of life based on the theory of evolution and much, if not all, of macroevolution.  If you're interested, try reading Michele Behe's "Darwin's Black Box."  Really helped me understand the gaping holes in macroevolution. 

I'm happy that most of the country shares my belief in a fairy tale.  :)  I don't think there should ever be a religious test for public office, but in reality we have one.  The majority of the country wouldn't vote for an atheist to lead the country.   

Laughing Sam's Dice

• Getbig IV
  • $12.95 per monthman
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 11:20:24 AM »
I'm happy that most of the country shares my belief in a fairy tale.  :)  I don't think there should ever be a religious test for public office, but in reality we have one.  The majority of the country wouldn't vote for an atheist to lead the country.   

Shows how social evolution is a slow process.
Stick out your tongue.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 11:23:04 AM »
Shows how social evolution is a slow process.

That's one way to look at it.  Another is that we have a lot of likeminded people in this country who believe faith is a central part of their lives. 

Laughing Sam's Dice

• Getbig IV
  • $12.95 per monthman
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 11:24:11 AM »
That's one way to look at it.  Another is that we have a lot of likeminded people in this country who believe faith is a central part of their lives. 

Yes, faith trumps reason in non-evolved cultures.  And there are lots of you running around!
Stick out your tongue.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 11:32:55 AM »
Beach Bum is correct IMO.

There will never be an atheist as a president. At least not someone who's open about it.

Was Clinton religious?

Nixon?

Is Giuliani?

I doubt all these three. Especially Nixon.

And all these three men, were in many ways, excellent politicians.

Nixon was a very secular man IMO.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 11:38:53 AM »
Yes, faith trumps reason in non-evolved cultures.  And there are lots of you running around!

Yes, this is true.  Me and all my weirdo friends permeate city councils, mayor's offices, state legislatures, governor's offices, Congress, the White House, the courts, private enterprise, every community in the country, etc.  You're surrounded dude.   :)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 03:22:33 AM »

LOL!

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 03:28:55 AM »
Mormons have some bad history to deal with, but so do many other religions, including Christianity.  All of the Mormons I know are good people, so I don't really have any basis, on a personal level, to dislike them. 

Almost all the Mormons I know are really good people.  They're supposed to be judgmental, but that's fine, because I'm judgmental, too.  They're real big on keeping up with the Joneses when it comes to their Celestial Checklist.

The problems I have with them are centered mainly around their deep doctrine.  They want people to believe that this being that many call 'God' (Mormons call him 'Heavenly Father') was actually a human being before he became 'God'.  And they teach their flock - if they will keep all of his commandments - that they will someday become 'Gods' (and Goddesses) of their own planets, too.   

If *I* can become god of an actual planet, then that sorta defeats the whole purpose of having god in the first place.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 03:31:10 AM »

My Common Sense movement will NOT be stopped. 

Eventually, I will see to it that all Americans know the difference between fact and fairy tale. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 03:32:54 AM »
Yes, this is true.  Me and all my weirdo friends permeate city councils, mayor's offices, state legislatures, governor's offices, Congress, the White House, the courts, private enterprise, every community in the country, etc.  You're surrounded dude.   :)

Yes, and we cater to you, because it's good for business. 

;)

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 06:29:30 AM »
that his uncle was a monkey

<< The Creation Museum will be upfront that the Bible is the supreme authority in all matters of faith and practice, and in every area it touches upon.

We’ll begin the Museum experience by showing that “facts” don’t speak for themselves... >>

http://www.creationmuseum.org/about

So is it Bush's (ha ha) "faith" that makes him so hostile to facts?

I always thought it was just because they kept showing him up as a moron.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 07:40:21 AM »
I fail to see that Romney's religion is much of a threat. Mormons are pretty good people....they do alot good things around the world. Yeah its a bit weird but as BB said..no weirder then anybody elses. LSD..not sure where u live or are now but travel to the south or midwest dude and ur views would be strictly in the minority. I'm catholic,did the catholic school thing..never had a negative effect on me. I would never make choose catholicism over whats good for the country if I was president. I think religion provides u with a moral compass to make rational choices. I am not including Muslims in this as butchering people and pedophilia are not moral choices.
L

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 11:31:28 AM »
I fail to see that Romney's religion is much of a threat.

Too much free advertising.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 11:39:43 AM »
I've gotten to the point that if your not strapping bombs to yourself in tha name of 'god' ur ok in my book.
L