Author Topic: Mitt Romney: I'll 'Donate Salary and More' as President  (Read 1392 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Mitt Romney: I'll 'Donate Salary and More' as President
« on: May 30, 2007, 09:05:12 AM »
This don't impress me much.  Reminds of the head of Bank of Hawaii a few years ago who publicly stated he was not accepting a salary that year because the Bank's performance wasn't as good as expected.  Then he cashed in about $10 million in stock options.   ::)

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 12:57 a.m. EDT
Mitt Romney: I'll 'Donate Salary and More' as President

Republican Mitt Romney, conceding that his business career helped him make more money than he expected, said Tuesday he would likely decline a salary as president and instead donate the money - and more - to charity.

During a question-and-answer session with Liberty Mutual employees, Romney said that despite his personal wealth - his assets likely will total $190 million to $250 million - he has committed himself to public service, from head of the 2002 Winter Olympics to one-term governor of Massachusetts.

"When I got started, I went to school and I never anticipated that I'd be as financially successful as I was, and then my business went far better than I expected it would," Romney, a former venture capitalist, told a woman who asked him how the country's political system could be corrected if most of the presidential candidates are millionaires.

Romney's assets makes him the wealthiest of all the presidential candidates, Democratic or Republican.

"I wouldn't disqualify somebody by virtue of their financial wealth or their financial poverty," Romney said after ticking off his public service work. "I would instead look at their record, what they've done with their life and whether they can make a difference, whether the things they have learned will enable them to be an effective leader."

Later, speaking with reporters, Romney said he would likely follow the example he set while governor, when he declined his $135,000 annual salary. The president of the United States is paid $400,000 annually.

"I haven't really thought ahead that far," Romney said at first. "There are some questions I haven't forecasted, perhaps because that would seem presumptuous of me."

Then, he added: "I presume I would take the salary and then I would donate at least that amount - or more - to charity."

Romney is expected to report more precise figures on his assets in the coming weeks when he files his financial disclosure report.

Meanwhile, Romney told his audience of insurance workers that his experience outside Washington made him most capable of working in a bipartisan fashion as president.
"It's time to have somebody who is not a lifelong politician, who cares less about whether it's a victory for the Republicans or a victory for the Democrats and just cares about whether it's a victory for America," the Republican declared.

Romney struck a different tone moments earlier, when he quipped to his New Hampshire audience that his home state senators were Edward M. Kennedy and John Kerry, both Democrats. "Want to trade?" he asked.

Romney also struck a partisan chord last week, when he chastised Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y., and Barack Obama, D-Ill., for voting against an Iraq war funding bill. He branded them members of the "Democrat Party," considered a derisive term by both parties.

In addition, Romney again railed against the proposed immigration deal negotiated between President Bush and Democratic and Republican leaders on Capitol Hill. Last week, the president chided his critics, saying, "this bipartisan bill is the best opportunity to move forward."

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2007/5/29/130409.shtml?s=ic

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Mitt Romney: I'll 'Donate Salary and More' as President
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 09:23:32 AM »
every candidate should now tell us if they'll be donating their check or not.

interesting when guys do this.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 09:31:41 AM »
wonder when jesus will get around to telling bush to donate $ to the wives of dead soldiers..wanno families whose primary bread winners he murdered..
carpe` vaginum!

The Enigma

• Getbig IV
  • Porsche 911 Turbo Carerra. My reality, your dream.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 11:44:31 AM »
every candidate should now tell us if they'll be donating their check or not.

interesting when guys do this.

Mitt's worth 1/4 of a Billion. I'm not impressed.

Laughing Sam's Dice

• Getbig IV
  • $12.95 per monthman
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 11:47:27 AM »
For a guy who bought up companies, fired U.S. workers, and outsourced labor costs to line his own pockets, I guess this is a pretty generous offer!
Stick out your tongue.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 11:47:44 AM »
Mitt's worth 1/4 of a Billion. I'm not impressed.

It's a start though.  It's more than millionaires Rudy, Hilary, McCain, or Edwards have pledged to do.  They make 400k a year.. I'd like to hear where each of them will pledge to donate that 1.6 million bucks.  Would be a nice gesture, and really bring back a little of the word 'public servant'.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 11:52:08 AM »
Why is the salary an issue?

I would like to think that the candidates opinions on key issues would be far mor important?  ???

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 11:54:36 AM »
Didn't Romney say his WIFE donated some of their money to Planned Parenthood in the past?

The Enigma

• Getbig IV
  • Porsche 911 Turbo Carerra. My reality, your dream.
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 01:19:12 PM »
Didn't Romney say his WIFE donated some of their money to Planned Parenthood in the past?

No, that money was to pay for her abortions.  ;D

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 01:41:51 PM »
wonder when jesus will get around to telling bush to donate $ to the wives of dead soldiers..wanno families whose primary bread winners he murdered..

hey captain clueless....the surving spouse will make more from the death than her husband would make in 10 years....

a one time payment of 100K
Life insurance of 400K
$1100 per month til death plus $238 per kid till 18 years

Considering an average GI earns $35 K a year the spouse will do alright
gotta love life

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 01:46:24 PM »
I'll vote for the first candidate that donates their millions in campaing funds. Think of the people they could feed if you combined all campaign funds
gotta love life

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 02:38:49 PM »
This don't impress me much.  Reminds of the head of Bank of Hawaii a few years ago who publicly stated he was not accepting a salary that year because the Bank's performance wasn't as good as expected.  Then he cashed in about $10 million in stock options.   ::)

Arnold S. made similar boasts when he was running for governor of California. He said he was going to decline his salary as governor because the state was facing budget troubles and he didn’t need the money.  What he didn’t disclose was the fact that just before he was sworn in as governor, he had inked a secret deal with AMI to promote their magazines and business interests--a deal that would guarantee him a minimum of a $1 million a year and usually much more.

The truth of that secret deal finally came to light when a nosy reporter combed through the SEC filings for AMI and found reference to an agreement with someone only identified as Mr. S.

Under political pressure, Mr. S agreed to void the contract and sever his agreement with AMI (but he kept the money he had accumulated from AMI up until that point).

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 05:18:57 PM »
Arnold S. made similar boasts when he was running for governor of California. He said he was going to decline the his salary as governor because the state was facing budget troubles and he didn’t need the money.  What he didn’t disclose was the fact that just before he was sworn in as governor, he had inked a secret deal with AMI to promote their magazines and business interests--a deal that would guarantee him a minimum of a $1 million a year and usually much more.

The truth of that secret deal finally came to light when a nosy reporter combed through the SEC filings for AMI and found reference to an agreement with someone only identified as Mr. S.

Under political pressure, Mr. S agreed void the contract and sever his agreement with AMI (but he kept the money he had accumulated from AMI up until that point).

Pretty shady, although he was worth about a half billion at the time, so the AMI contract was basically lunch money.