Author Topic: Dogs Left in Cars  (Read 32134 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Dogs Left in Cars
« on: May 30, 2007, 02:40:50 PM »
I see it every year.  Usually, depending on the temperature, I leave a note (actually a copy of a Dear Abby article on the subject).  I have contacted the police and I've also talked directly to the owner ~ usually with less than a favorable response.  I saw it today and SHAME ON ME; I did nothing.  I waited and contemplated what to do.  After 3 minutes, the owner came out, with 6 BAGS OF GROCERIES  >:(.  That tells me, he was in there quite awhile.  I avoided the confrontation and I'm pissed at myself.  It will not happen again.

One of my friends is a local news anchor.  I just sent her this email.

Kxxxxx,

In case XXX hasn't put out the message this year, it would be nice to remind people not to leave their dogs in a car when out running errands and such.  I see this all the time. 

I've contacted Xxxxxxx and Xxxxxx counties along with the Xxxxxx Police and they WILL respond to calls about dogs in cars (not sure what their course of action would be).  As I understand it, some departments/squads carry a wire thermometer to check the internal temperature and react accordingly, including breaking into the car.

I plan to get some flyers from The Animal Protection Institute to place on windshields - only if there's no danger - if there is, I will contact the police. 

On a day like today (85*), with the window open, a car will reach 102 degrees in 10 minutes.  After 30 minutes, it can get up to 120!  This can cause irreparable brain damage or death.

Check out this campaign  http://www.mydogiscool.com

Please see what you can do to get the message out there.

Thanks,

Lxxxxxxx
:

knny187

• Getbig V
Re: Dogs Left in Cars
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 12:37:48 PM »
It pisses me off when I see this.  Owners of animals that do this, can expect me to say something & I am not a nice "tempered" person by nature.

If I'm out with the dog, I stay in the car with the dog while errands are being run.  I have water (usually) with me & park underneath a shade tree. 

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 04:18:02 PM »
It pisses me off when I see this.   

Sometimes I think people are just too ignorant stupid.

I'm on a mission this year!  >:(
:

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 05:47:38 PM »
I tell ya....I have no problem breaking a window

Birdman

• Getbig III
  • Pump Til You Puke!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 05:48:18 PM »
I just took my baby to the vet yesterday and I asked them if anyone had brought their dogs in for heat stroke and they said they had already seen two cases and neither of the dogs made it.  It doesnt take long at all for our loved ones to suffer in the summer heat.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 06:08:40 AM »
The best way to cool a dog off is too apply cold compresses to their feet.  This will help them cool off faster. 

Of course if you suspect your dog is suffering from heat stroke, get them to the vet immediately. 

If you do need to travel with your pet in the summer you can freeze 2 liter bottles of water to place around them to help keep them cooler.

You can also look into something like a "cool mat" for them to lay on in the car (and use in the house, crate), and a cool collar (use it on walks!):

http://www.futurepets.com/Cool_Mat_Dogs.htm

None of these "tips" are meant to make it okay to leave your dog in a hot car, they are just to make traveling more comfortable and safe for them.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 06:05:13 PM »
I've broken a window on more than one occasion.  My deal is i wait 10 minutes if its a hot day.  If no one shows up, then i smash their window.  If anyone said anything to me i'd simply call animal control and see what they'd say after that.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 06:39:48 PM »
I've broken a window on more than one occasion.  My deal is i wait 10 minutes if its a hot day.  If no one shows up, then i smash their window.  If anyone said anything to me i'd simply call animal control and see what they'd say after that.

I tell ya....I have no problem breaking a window

I've been tempted to do that on occassion.  I doubt I'd be strong enough to do so though.  I'm also afraid I'd be arrested or have to pay for the damage or something.

I've got several police department numbers in my cell phone and humane society numbers too, but they said it's quicker to call the police anyway.  They said they have no authority to break into a vehicle.
:

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 06:50:10 PM »

I've been tempted to do that on occassion.  I doubt I'd be strong enough to do so though.  I'm also afraid I'd be arrested or have to pay for the damage or something.

I've got several police department numbers in my cell phone and humane society numbers too, but they said it's quicker to call the police anyway.  They said they have no authority to break into a vehicle.

carry a spark plug in your car.  One good toss...will break a window.

or you can get one of these

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 06:50:57 PM »
or one of these push type window breakers:

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 10:09:05 AM »
I stopped at Petsmart yesterday and picked up a couple Outward Hound Cool-it-collars:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441809253&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302032064&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1180803741074&itemNo=12&Ntt=Outward+hound+collar&In=All&previousText=Outward+hound+collar&N=2

They only had one large in stock so I got one large, one medium and one small.  The medium does fit Briona, but I think I would like to get her a large, and I need one more large so all the dogs can have a fresh one.  Emmett used the large after Addie but I think one right out of the fridge would be nice.   I think the medium will fit around my neck so I might even wear one once I get the other 2 larges!   ;D

You soak them in water for 15-30 minutes and can put them in the fridge to make them even cooler.   I'd say they did keep the dogs a bit cooler, and the large was less than $8.00 so not that expensive.  Could even by a couple extras and if on a day trip could keep a fresh one in a cooler or something.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 08:17:35 AM »
Breaking a window's justifiable, but what about calling a guard or police over? Anyway the point is something has to be done rather than just walking by.

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 09:25:49 AM »
and to think if i saw one of these idiots locking their poor dogs in the car and i proceeded to rip that persons arm off an beat them with the stump I would go to jail  >:( >:( >:( >:(

JimmyTheFish

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 10:34:27 AM »
Unfortunately this happens in Vegas ALL the time  :'( Between people leaving their pets in the car and the idiots leaving the bigger dogs in an open truck bed while haulin ass on the hwy I dont know what is worse

Yesterday there was a small lab mix pup left in a car at PetCo and the fire dept showed up busted the window and took the dog away from the owner ---- the fucking idiot said he didnt know he could bring his dog in the pet store to shop with  ::)

I have to say I would break the window and then call the police of fire dept rather than wait for them to show up to save the dog  -- to the owner I say bring it on

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 10:47:17 AM »
Unfortunately this happens in Vegas ALL the time  :'( Between people leaving their pets in the car and the idiots leaving the bigger dogs in an open truck bed while haulin ass on the hwy I dont know what is worse

Yesterday there was a small lab mix pup left in a car at PetCo and the fire dept showed up busted the window and took the dog away from the owner ---- the fucking idiot said he didnt know he could bring his dog in the pet store to shop with  ::)

I have to say I would break the window and then call the police of fire dept rather than wait for them to show up to save the dog  -- to the owner I say bring it on

Damn....I spent a lot of time in Vegas....& man does it get hot in a car

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 12:29:38 PM »
Let's do our part to get the word out!

http://www.mydogiscool.com

Print out your own flyers or request them to be sent to you.
:

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 12:31:35 PM »
Let's do our part to get the word out!

http://www.mydogiscool.com

Print out your own flyers or request them to be sent to you.

id rather beat them with bloody stumps >:(

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 12:33:36 PM »
id rather beat them with bloody stumps >:(

You made your point..now let it go...let it go... ;D
?

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 12:35:05 PM »
You made your point..now let it go...let it go... ;D
sorry euro baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 12:56:04 PM »
sorry euro baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

..... 8)
?

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2007, 11:24:10 AM »
About 8 years ago I had a dog named Duchess.  She's a mix of sharpae and shepard.  Anyway, she was about a year old and I had this really huge yard, but it was unfenced (I lived in a very rural area with very few houses) and I always tied her outside for a few hours on nice days with a big bowl of water (the line was under a tree).  One day I ran down to the store and while I was gone this kid that lived down the street came into my yard and took my dogs line and shortened it so that she could not reach the water.  When I came back I noticed she was laying down, but really didn't think much of it as she usually loved to sleep out in the grass, but a short time later my daughter came running in saying that Duchess wouldn't move, that she wouldn't play with her.  I went out to see what was going on and couldn't believe my eyes.  She was so dehydrated that she was just laying there with her tongue hanging out.  I noticed her line was all tied up weird and couldn't understand why.  I untied her and brought her into the house.  I called my friend who lived next door and she ran over.  We threw Duchess into the bath and started running cool water over her while gently trying to pour some down into her lifeless body.  It took over an hour to get her temperature down and get her hydrated again.  After she was feeling better my girlfriend went around asking neighbors if they had seen anyone in the yard.  Thats when we found out the kid down the street had been in our yard and tied her up like that.  He did it because he wanted to see her grovel for water and suffer (he was weird like that).  After that I didn't let the kids or the dog outside without me.  We moved shortly thereafter. 
:D Weee

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2007, 11:58:53 AM »
About 8 years ago I had a dog named Duchess.  She's a mix of sharpae and shepard.  Anyway, she was about a year old and I had this really huge yard, but it was unfenced (I lived in a very rural area with very few houses) and I always tied her outside for a few hours on nice days with a big bowl of water (the line was under a tree).  One day I ran down to the store and while I was gone this kid that lived down the street came into my yard and took my dogs line and shortened it so that she could not reach the water.  When I came back I noticed she was laying down, but really didn't think much of it as she usually loved to sleep out in the grass, but a short time later my daughter came running in saying that Duchess wouldn't move, that she wouldn't play with her.  I went out to see what was going on and couldn't believe my eyes.  She was so dehydrated that she was just laying there with her tongue hanging out.  I noticed her line was all tied up weird and couldn't understand why.  I untied her and brought her into the house.  I called my friend who lived next door and she ran over.  We threw Duchess into the bath and started running cool water over her while gently trying to pour some down into her lifeless body.  It took over an hour to get her temperature down and get her hydrated again.  After she was feeling better my girlfriend went around asking neighbors if they had seen anyone in the yard.  Thats when we found out the kid down the street had been in our yard and tied her up like that.  He did it because he wanted to see her grovel for water and suffer (he was weird like that).  After that I didn't let the kids or the dog outside without me.  We moved shortly thereafter. 

8 years ago.....do you think this kid is over 18 now?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2007, 11:59:51 AM »
What a shit!!    >:(     That's why I don't leave them out when I am not home, I don't trust that someone won't let them out, take them, or they will get out.  I don't usually leave them out even when I am just in the shower.  And with Tad I am even more cautious now since I wonder if he will find any more places to squeeze through.   I keep checking to make sure he is still out there.   

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2007, 12:06:53 PM »
The kid has some "problems".  He was like 12 at the time and went to special schools.  He really should have not been left to play outside alone anyway.  I believe after this situation he was shipped to school that keeps you throughout the week.
:D Weee

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2007, 12:12:30 PM »
well, I have no patience for the weak minded....

I would have poisoned the kid

;D