Author Topic: Steroids and death.  (Read 7817 times)

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
Steroids and death.
« on: May 30, 2007, 11:02:30 PM »
After watching Raisting the Bar 2 (review coming soon), I was reminded of the death of Anthony D'Arezzo, and while running a search on here, also remember the death of Eduardo Kawak at this time last year.  We also shouldn't forget the deaths of Don Youngblood and Charles Durr in 2005.

Moderate doses of steroids have 0 correlation with heart disease or cancer.  But what about mad abuse of steroids?  What do you think of this statement from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davey_Boy_Smith#Death

Quote from: wikipedia
Smith died on May 18, 2002, at the age of 39, after suffering a heart attack while shopping in the vegetable aisle with his girlfriend, (Bruce Hart's estranged wife Andrea Redding) in the Asda supermarket in Golbounre, Greater Manchester. An autopsy revealed that past anabolic steroid use may have played a part in his death, however no certain reason was found. It is apparent that stress, serious injuries, and the use of drugs took its toll on the wrestler. Bruce Hart claimed "Davey paid the price with steroid cocktails and human-growth hormones."

What do you guys make of this?  Is it a bunch of shit?  I would assume most pro wrestlers have a fair share of cocaine and rec drug abuse in their histories too.  We also cannot forget genetics.

I'm talking abuse and misuse, not use.  Scientifically, we already know steroid use is perfectly safe.  That is not open for debate.  But what can we state about abuse and misuse, if anything?

This topic hasn't been discussed for a while - the opinions of gh15 would also be welcome.  :)
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Theoak*

• Getbig IV
Re: Steroids and death.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 11:16:54 PM »
After watching Raisting the Bar 2 (review coming soon), I was reminded of the death of Anthony D'Arezzo, and while running a search on here, also remember the death of Eduardo Kawak at this time last year.  We also shouldn't forget the deaths of Don Youngblood and Charles Durr in 2005.

Moderate doses of steroids have 0 correlation with heart disease or cancer.  But what about mad abuse of steroids?  What do you think of this statement from wikipedia:

What do you guys make of this?  Is it a bunch of shit?  I would assume most pro wrestlers have a fair share of cocaine and rec drug abuse in their histories too.  We also cannot forget genetics.

I'm talking abuse and misuse, not use.  Scientifically, we already know steroid use is perfectly safe.  That is not open for debate.  But what can we state about abuse and misuse, if anything?

This topic hasn't been discussed for a while - the opinions of gh15 would also be welcome.  :)

Hahah what a crock of shit, "steroids may have played a part in his deat" Funny how they didnt mention alcohol, smoking, reccies may have played a part, they went straight to steroids.

Alot of factors have to be taken into account and I seriously doubt his "past" aas usage played any major part in hes heart attack.

Ive seen medical journals where anadrol was used on patients at 200mg per day for 2-3years straight with no damaging effect to the heart at all.

This is just another piss poor attempt at the media firing away at AAS. Scare tactic rather.

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 11:19:57 PM »
Matt, sounds like Raising the Bar 2 got you all choked up.

Let it out, sweety, let it out  :'(

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 11:26:37 PM »
I'd have to say that Coleman, Cutler, and Dennis James are living proof that massive amounts of steroids do not kill you.
Hope this helps.
N

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 11:33:56 PM »
I'd have to say that Coleman, Cutler, and Dennis James are living proof that massive amounts of steroids do not kill you.
Hope this helps.

Good point.

However, what I wonder is, just how long they'll live for after years of drug abuse...
HAHA, RON.....

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 11:43:51 PM »
It varies from one person to another. If you already have a weaker heart naturally, steroids will can be the trigger. There would have to be serious studies on a large group to determine the effect.

I think it's safe to say that serious users of anabolics will have more heart/liver/kidney problems. But they have a lifestyle surrounding it that also contributes most of the time: rec. drugs (cocaine, meth, pain killers, opiates), high intake of protein is bad for your arteries,extreme dieting is tough on your organs, diuretics, being extremely overweight during offseason,...

$

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 01:52:01 AM »
"Smith died on May 18, 2002, at the age of 39, after suffering a heart attack while shopping in the vegetable aisle with his girlfriend"

what i make of it? stay away from vegetables kids, it'll kill you

Z

whitewidow

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 01:57:45 AM »

lyle alzado died from juice as well got cancer from it somehow.

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 01:58:25 AM »
wikipedia  ::)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 01:58:44 AM »

I bet it was vegetable juice. That stuff will kill you
Z

whitewidow

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 01:59:34 AM »
I bet it was vegetable juice. That stuff will kill you

HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT!!!

muscularny

• Getbig IV
  • Training
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 03:20:58 AM »
might be 50 years from now might be 60 years from now it will catch up to coleman

Birdman

• Getbig III
  • Pump Til You Puke!
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 03:27:49 AM »

Bro I hope your joking because Alzado's own doctor came out and said that steroids had nothing to do with it.  And it was a brain tumor not cancer.

dawakaman

• Getbig III
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 04:04:54 AM »
Bro I hope your joking because Alzado's own doctor came out and said that steroids had nothing to do with it.  And it was a brain tumor not cancer.

hahaha, i didn't know a tumor doesn't classify under 'cancer'.....

Peace
D

thepeg

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 04:28:32 AM »
i heard that lyle alzado died of aids...supposedly he was bisexual.

musclehedz

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 04:59:58 AM »
Young bodybuilders dieing is ALWAYS related to steroids.
Other young people dieing is ALWAYS related to genetics.

:-\

BigPopa

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 06:10:07 AM »
Alzado died of a brain tumor which is a form of cancer.  The Dr's at the time said it was attributed to the hgh he was taking, chrom or something like that.  They discontinued the manufacturing of it because it was found to cause brain tumors in alot of patients being that it was extracted from deceased pituitary glands. 

vinnyvee

• Getbig IV
  • Dorian never bitched, he just shut em up!
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 12:36:24 PM »

gh15 is busy answering newbie questions that clutter is pm box so dont expect to get an opin from him here.
Also, recs are to be blamed in most of these cases w/out a doubt.
Vv

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 01:08:35 PM »
i just looked ar bodybuilding.com forums and a mod there named "raprazant" died at 32

he was a steroid user right?

anybody know the details of his death?

E
E

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2007, 01:21:40 PM »
Young bodybuilders dieing is ALWAYS related to steroids.
Other young people dieing is ALWAYS related to genetics.
Dieing - Dying

The spelling on this site never ceases to amaze me.
N

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2007, 02:18:18 PM »
Dieing - Dying

The spelling on this site never ceases to amaze me.

yeah i wasn't going to say anything but that seems pretty bad.
irongearco.com

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 02:19:04 PM »
yeah i wasn't going to say anything but that seems pretty bad.
Don't forget, getbig is about people helping people. ;)
N

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 02:30:22 PM »
Alzado died of a brain tumor which is a form of cancer.  The Dr's at the time said it was attributed to the hgh he was taking, chrom or something like that.  They discontinued the manufacturing of it because it was found to cause brain tumors in alot of patients being that it was extracted from deceased pituitary glands. 
BULLSHIT! Lyle Alzado died of AIDS! Do a search, been discussed plenty of times.

BigPopa

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2007, 02:41:13 PM »
Then he would of had to be the biggest fuckin aids patient dead or alive there fuckface.  You really don't know shit do you.  Don't believe everything you read..

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2007, 02:44:39 PM »
Then he would of had to be the biggest fuckin aids patient dead or alive there fuckface.  You really don't know shit do you.  Don't believe everything you read..
Apparently he was gay. Secondly the rare disease he had almost exclusively occurs in people with HIV/AIDS.