Author Topic: Cease-fire eyed to stop violence in Iraq  (Read 4691 times)

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
Cease-fire eyed to stop violence in Iraq
« on: May 31, 2007, 09:43:44 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070531/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_iraq

By PAULINE JELINEK, Associated Press Writer 51 minutes ago

U.S. military commanders are talking with Iraqi militants about cease-fires and other arrangements to try to stop the violence, the No. 2 American commander said Thursday.

And he suggested he might not be able to strictly meet the September deadline for telling Congress whether President Bush's military build up in Iraq is working.

Lt. Gen. Raymond Odierno said commanders at all levels are being empowered to reach out for talks with militants, tribes, religious leaders and others in the country that has been gripped by violence on a range of fronts including insurgents, sectarian rivals and common criminals.

"It's just beginning, so we have a lot of work to do in this," he said. "But we have restructured ourselves ... to work this issue."

He said he thinks 80 percent of Iraqis — including Sunni insurgents and Shia militants — can reach reconciliation with each other, though most al-Qaida operatives won't.

"We are talking about cease-fires, and maybe signing some things that say they won't conduct operations against the government of Iraq or against coalition forces.," Odierno told Pentagon reporters in a video conference from Baghdad.

On the assessment of operations that is due in September, he said he thinks it will take longer to tell whether the increase of nearly 30,000 troops will work as intended — that is, to quell violence enough to give Iraqi officials breathing space to work on reconciliation and development issues.

"The way I understand it, is we're going to be required to provide an assessment in September. So I will provide my assessment," Odierno said, adding it might not be complete.

He said he will be able to assess the work of forces that arrived for the beginning of the build up in February, but that the ones just arrived this week won't be in place for a couple of weeks — meaning it will be August before he might be able to tell how they're doing.

"So that'll be the first time I'll be able to make a real initial assessment of the true affect of the surge," he said. "The assessment might be 'I need a little more time. ' The assessment might be, 'I've seen enough, and it's effective or I've seen enough, and it's not going to be effective.'

"Right now if you asked me, I would tell you I'll probably need a little bit more time to do a true assessment," he said.

"If I think I might need a little bit more time, I will give an assessment saying, 'But I'd like to have more time'," Odierno said.

He said the increased effort by commanders to reach out to militants goes hand in hand with reconciliation efforts by the Iraqi government.

Odierno noted that efforts to engage tribal leaders in Anbar province — who have been turning against al-Qaida there — has helped draw people to serve in the Iraqi security forces in record numbers and has helped reduce attacks there.

For example, the attacks in Anbar in May 2006 totaled 811, while this May they were just barely over 400, Odierno said. Since the beginning of 2007, over 12,000 Iraqi citizens have volunteered for Iraqi security forces in Anbar. In all of 2006, only 1,000 had volunteered.

Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki and other leaders are under increasing pressure from Washington to do more to achieve reconciliation among factions because, officials argue, no amount of military force can bring peace to the country without political peace.

Al-Maliki announced a national reconciliation proposal nearly a year ago that has made limited progress. It offered some amnesty to members of the Sunni-led insurgency and a change in a law that had removed senior members of Saddam Hussein's Baath Party from their jobs.

"I believe there are elements that are irreconcilable, but I believe the large majority are," Odierno said. "I believe about 80 percent are reconcilable, both Jaish al-Mahdi as well as Sunni insurgents," though very few of al-Qaida.

"There will be always people that are irreconcilable and ... the Iraqi government, with our support, will have to continue to conduct operations against those forces," he said.

"Prime Minister Maliki and the government of Iraq have to continue to reach out to all these groups ... bringing these groups into the political process so we can deal with their differences in a peaceful way instead of in violent ways,:" Odierno said.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
Re: Cease-fire eyed to stop violence in Iraq
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 09:46:18 AM »
Lt. Gen. Raymond Odierno said commanders at all levels are being empowered to reach out for talks with militants, tribes, religious leaders and others in the country that has been gripped by violence on a range of fronts including insurgents, sectarian rivals and common criminals.

Looks like cooperation with terrorists to me.. They've finally figured it out?

Where's Mr Hate when you need him?  :D

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 09:55:30 AM »

He's somewhere seething with anger.

I'm all for a different strategy, the one we're currently using clearly isn't working despite the best efforts of this administration to spin it.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 09:58:24 AM »
WOW!

Legitimate GOOD NEWS from Iraq!

I think I'm going to go get an ice cream cone now.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 10:01:10 AM »
WOW!

Good for you OZMO, don't forget to visit an amusement park and ride the Merry-Go-Round.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 10:02:02 AM »
WOW!

Don't forget the cotton candy and carmalized pop corn! I hear it's literally the bomb!

The Enigma

• Getbig IV
  • Porsche 911 Turbo Carerra. My reality, your dream.
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 10:30:26 AM »

What happened to the big tough warhawks?

Talking withe the enemy now?

Proof this Bush war is lost.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 10:59:34 AM »
Negotiating with terrorists now?

are you kidding me???

People who are "winning" DO NOT negotiate with terrorist/militant groups!

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 11:02:44 AM »
240....here, have an ice cream cone.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 11:07:41 AM »
240....here, have an ice cream cone.

Can I get red, white, and blue sprinkles on it?  I'm wearing my USA t-shirt and going on a tour of Falujah today and I really want to look patriotic.  Thanks brah!

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 11:08:57 AM »
Can I get red, white, and blue sprinkles on it?  I'm wearing my USA t-shirt and going on a tour of Falujah today and I really want to look patriotic.  Thanks brah!

no prob mang  ;D

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 11:16:32 AM »
MM69 has taken quite the beating since posting that "ice cream cones and amusement parks" quip. LOL

The Enigma

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 11:53:43 AM »
MM69 has taken quite the beating since posting that "ice cream cones and amusement parks" quip. LOL

Rightfully so.  ;D

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 12:40:25 PM »
Ur right 240....we're losing..ok well its hard to say we're losing when we could end this thing in an afternoon with the boys from Diego Garcia. Unfortunatly bombing the dog shit out of these people would piss of the rest...of...wait..forget it..crank up the B-52's.  :P
L

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 12:46:37 PM »
Ur right 240....we're losing..ok well its hard to say we're losing when we could end this thing in an afternoon with the boys from Diego Garcia. Unfortunatly bombing the dog shit out of these people would piss of the rest...of...wait..forget it..crank up the B-52's.  :P

What ever happened to the good 'ole days?   When there were actual front lines?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 12:49:14 PM »
yeah..nobody cared if u napalmed the dog snot outa folks.
L

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 12:59:40 PM »
yeah..nobody cared if u napalmed the dog snot outa folks.

Problem is, now a days, unless the enemy has favorable terrain like in N. Korea (and even then it's not much of an advantage), no one stands a chance against us.  So we may see this insurgent thing for a while.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 01:05:59 PM »
The problem is that they bounce around thinking they won..the only guys who are like "holy shit' are the NK's and China..because any fight with them willl be conventional. I'm telling you guys.....the insurgency is one thing...conventionally everybody else is a child.
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 02:03:14 PM »

General barry McCaffrey said there were only 2500 insurgents total.  Is he right?

Laughing Sam's Dice

• Getbig IV
  • $12.95 per monthman
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2007, 02:04:54 PM »
General barry McCaffrey said there were only 2500 insurgents total.  Is he right?

The drug czar was only talking about opium smoking insurgents.
Stick out your tongue.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2007, 02:07:30 PM »
I know 'Barry" personally he was my best friends dads'  commander in Vietnam....great guy. He's wrong there maybe 2500 full time guys and who knows how many weekend warriors who pick up an Ak when its convenient. They pay just about anybody to lay IEDS.....
L

The Enigma

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 02:15:27 PM »
I know 'Barry" personally he was my best friends dads'  commander in Vietnam.

Seems like a stand-up guy from what I've seen of him. 

Laughing Sam's Dice

• Getbig IV
  • $12.95 per monthman
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 02:21:25 PM »
Seems like a stand-up guy from what I've seen of him. 

If by "stand-up guy" you mean "war criminal," he sure is!  And how about his focus on marijuana as an evil drug?

http://www.zpub.com/un/un-bm.html
Stick out your tongue.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2007, 02:24:07 PM »
He was pretty cool...for a GO. I met him at my buddies' house in Virginia..just after he became the drug czar. The a few years later same place. He came up to FT Riley a few years later for the reactivation of the 24th ID. I got to say hi and he remembered me. I felt moderately important.  ;D. He did have some pretty interesting stories about the Clinton Whitehouse.
L

The Enigma

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2007, 02:25:46 PM »
If by "stand-up guy" you mean "war criminal," he sure is!  And how about his focus on marijuana as an evil drug?

http://www.zpub.com/un/un-bm.html

Ouch!!