Author Topic: Bush Requests $30 Billion To Fund Aids Battle  (Read 2263 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Bush Requests $30 Billion To Fund Aids Battle
« on: June 01, 2007, 07:23:38 AM »
Bush Wants $30 Billion to Fight AIDS
President Says Money Is Needed to Help Treat AIDS Patients in Poor Nations
By Todd Zwillich

WebMD Medical NewsReviewed by Louise Chang, MDMay 30, 2007 -- President Bush on Wednesday called for the U.S. to spend a record $30 billion to fight AIDS overseas, a move he said would more than double the number patients receiving drug treatment in poor countries.

The spending would expand the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, a $15 billion program started in 2003. The plan funds AIDS prevention and treatment in 15 poor countries hardest hit by the AIDS epidemic, mostly in Africa.

The five-year plan runs out at the end of 2008, and Congress will have to reauthorize the program if it is to continue beyond President Bush's term.

"Many HIV-positive Americans are able to lead productive lives.  The story has been quite different elsewhere, especially in sub-Saharan Africa," the president said during brief remarks in the White House Rose Garden.

Officials estimate the plan has provided antiretroviral drug treatment to 1.1 million people in South Africa, Tanzania, Mozambique, and other countries. The president said increased funding would expand treatment to 2.5 million additional people and prevent HIV infection in an estimated 12 million people.

AIDS has killed an estimated 25 million people since 1981, mostly in Africa. An additional 40 million people are infected with HIV, according to UNAIDS. Two-thirds of the nearly 3 million people who died of AIDS worldwide in 2006 lived in sub-Saharan Africa, the organization reports.

Congress to Step In
The plan enjoys bipartisan support in Congress, which will ultimately decide how heavily to fund it in coming years. It remains unclear what programs Congress would cut to find an additional $15 billion, and the president on Wednesday made no suggestions in that regard.

"We'll be working with Congress on that issue," says Ambassador Mark Dybul, the U.S. global AIDS coordinator.

The White House also has not said whether it intends to use the additional money to increase the number of countries covered under the emergency plan in addition to expanding programs within the 15 countries covered now.

"That's actually been discussed at some length, and there are points of view represented by both thoughts. But we will be expanding the number of people that are served," Health and Human Services Secretary Michael Leavitt tells WebMD.

The president urged Congress to move quickly on a bill reauthorizing the program, though lawmakers won't decide on actual funding levels until next year. Quick action would also allow Bush to leave a mark on the program before leaving office, rather than leaving it to his successor to shape the policy.

Double Funding?
David Bryden a spokesman for the Global AIDS Alliance, an activist group, questions the president's claim that the proposed expansion would actually double U.S. AIDS funding. He points out that the White House requested $5.5 billion for the program next year in order to reach the $15 billion in total funding by 2008.

It's a small increase, not a doubling of what would have happened anyway," Bryden says. "A true doubling would be more in the realm of 50 [billion]."

Jean Pape, MD, head of the Haitian Association for the Study of Kaposi's Sarcoma and Opportunistic Infections, tells WebMD that U.S.-funded AIDS prevention efforts require even more money in place by local health agencies.

"As you test more people, you'll find more people who are infected and therefore need more treatment," he says. 

SOURCES: President George W. Bush. UNAIDS/WHO AIDS Epidemic Update: December 2006. Ambassador Mark Dybul, global AIDS coordinator. Michael Leavitt, secretary of Health and Human Services. Jean Pape, MD, director, Haitian Association for the Study of Kaposi's Sarcoma and Opportunistic Infections.

© 2007 WebMD, Inc. All rights reserved.

Purge_WTF

Re: Bush Requests $30 Million To Fund Aids Battle
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 05:04:00 PM »
  I'm not falling for it. And even if Bush did give a shit about those people--or anyone else, for that matter--what's 30 mil gonna do?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 12:51:04 AM »
It's $30 billion. 

Purge_WTF

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 07:15:12 AM »
It's $30 billion. 

Oopsy! Colossus mispelled it in the title.  :-\

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 09:19:49 AM »
30 billion buys a lot of KY Jelly and condoms.  ;D

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 01:30:30 PM »
Who here honestly gives a fuck about Africa?   >:(

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 03:34:43 PM »

<enter sound of crickets....>

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 12:54:59 AM »
  Oopsy! Colossus mispelled it in the title.  :-\

Fixed. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 12:56:08 AM »

Me.  Why shouldn't we?  We have provided aid to countries all around the world.  What makes Africa any different? 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: Bush Requests $30 Billion To Fund Aids Battle
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 02:38:00 AM »
Send aid to Africa.

If you want an egoistic reason for it (reason why Western countries should help Africa):

Less refugees coming here.

Less general turmoil in the world.

More democracy in the world.

Preventing extremist islamism and islamist terrorism from appearing.

And of course, there are all the humanitarian reasons as well. Reaching out to the poor and famined. The suffering.

To see amputated kids in hords makes my heart bleed.

Sometimes, you just have to do whats right. I think that's what Beach is getting at.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 08:03:39 AM »

Africans? A.k.a. 30-40% of world population in a couple of years.   

Nice example of THE GENE talking.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 11:13:01 AM »
Send aid to Africa.

If you want an egoistic reason for it (reason why Western countries should help Africa):

Less refugees coming here.

Less general turmoil in the world.

More democracy in the world.

Preventing extremist islamism and islamist terrorism from appearing.

And of course, there are all the humanitarian reasons as well. Reaching out to the poor and famined. The suffering.

Sometimes, you just have to do whats right. I think that's what Beach is getting at.

-Hedge

What he said.   :)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 11:43:48 AM »
I still think it's not a good idea.  what could 30 billiion do for New Orleans?  What could 30 billion do for small business loans?  What could 30 billion do for .......etc?

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 01:45:06 PM »
Me.  Why shouldn't we?  We have provided aid to countries all around the world.  What makes Africa any different? 

Africa is a continent.. And throwing more and more money at them problem isn't going to help.

The government should not throw away tax dollars to help others without the consent of the people. I see many domestic issues that could use the 30 billion.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 01:48:31 PM »

-Hedge

Philantrophy should be private.. The Bill and Melinda Gates foundation gives plenty, along with charities. I don't give a flying fuck about Africa and I sure as don't want the tax dollars of hard working Americans being thrown at a problem that is beyond fixing.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2007, 01:53:12 PM »
Philantrophy should be private.. The Bill and Melinda Gates foundation gives plenty, along with charities. I don't give a flying fuck about Africa and I sure as don't want the tax dollars of hard working Americans being thrown at a problem that is beyond fixing.

That's not our history Camel.  Anytime there is a major disaster anywhere in the world we are at the head of the line providing assistance, using taxpayer funds.  I don't like throwing taxpayer funds away either, but I don't think we're doing that. 

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2007, 04:55:41 PM »
Africans? A.k.a. 30-40% of world population in a couple of years.   

Nice example of THE GENE talking.

Africa has around 900 million people. Rougly 1/6 th of the world's population..

Not even China and India COMBINED have 40% of the world's population, so that's a shitty estimate on your part..

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2007, 06:02:18 PM »
Africa has around 900 million people. Rougly 1/6 th of the world's population..

Not even China and India COMBINED have 40% of the world's population, so that's a shitty estimate on your part..

I guess the "in a couple of years" did not register...

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2007, 06:18:08 PM »
I guess the "in a couple of years" did not register...

still wont be anywhere near 40%..  ::)