Author Topic: New Sergio Pic from Jones' Estate  (Read 6126 times)

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
New Sergio Pic from Jones' Estate
« on: June 01, 2007, 07:34:04 PM »
I'd never seen this before.

Sergio Rules 77

• Getbig III
  • Sergio can split the atom. With his bare hands.
Re: New Sergio Pic from Jones' Estate
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 03:20:08 PM »
Sweet!!! Nice find Don. You'd swear this was a pic taken yesterday of a pro bodybuilder. Instead, it's close to 40 years old. Absolutely mindblowing.

SERGIO!!!!
Ugh, my retirement grease

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 06:43:21 AM »
Sweet!!! Nice find Don. You'd swear this was a pic taken yesterday of a pro bodybuilder. Instead, it's close to 40 years old. Absolutely mindblowing.

SERGIO!!!!

agreed, absolutely. i never tire of seeing oliva pics. i remember when i first saw pics of him in the mags, i was in awe of his upper body, arms, chest, etc and that was late '80's :o haney didn't even compare imo...as sergio would say, 'Fabulous!'

the other two guys should have known better than to attempt to pose next to oliva. they might have looked like they trained otherwise.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 10:15:45 AM »
agreed, absolutely. i never tire of seeing oliva pics. i remember when i first saw pics of him in the mags, i was in awe of his upper body, arms, chest, etc and that was late '80's :o haney didn't even compare imo...as sergio would say, 'Fabulous!'

We actually agree on this, yet the number of guys on the main board who seriously believe Haney was comparable by accepting Weider revisionist history's distrubing.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 11:38:50 AM »
Haney had a better back, and maybe, just maybe a thicker chest, but a bit saggy, or droopy, due to extreme lower pec development, so Oliva's looked better anyway.
Oliva had everything else on Haney.

What do you guys think?

Sergio Rules 77

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 04:40:23 PM »
Haney had a better back, and maybe, just maybe a thicker chest, but a bit saggy, or droopy, due to extreme lower pec development, so Oliva's looked better anyway.
Oliva had everything else on Haney.

What do you guys think?

With both at their best, I would say maybe Lee's back is on par with Sergio, and that's a maybe. Sergio blows away Lee in every other aspect and Lee is definitely in my top 5-6 bodybuilders ever. The above photo is just about the best I have seen Sergio look, and certainly the best front lat spread I've seen of him.

SERGIO!!!!

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 11:27:38 PM »
With both at their best, I would say maybe Lee's back is on par with Sergio, and that's a maybe. Sergio blows away Lee in every other aspect and Lee is definitely in my top 5-6 bodybuilders ever. The above photo is just about the best I have seen Sergio look, and certainly the best front lat spread I've seen of him.

SERGIO!!!!

Whoah. While I think Sergio was better than Haney, let's not misjudge Haney here. Haney's back was MUCH better than Sergio's ever was. It was thicker, wider and more ripped. Sergio was a more complete BB, however (and didn't have gyno which should be graded down IMO).

Sergio NEVER had a back on par with haney's.

A good bodybuilder all around.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 06:46:13 AM »
Whoah. While I think Sergio was better than Haney, let's not misjudge Haney here. Haney's back was MUCH better than Sergio's ever was. It was thicker, wider and more ripped. Sergio was a more complete BB, however (and didn't have gyno which should be graded down IMO).

A little misleading, because (1) virtually *all* widely circulated Sergio pics don't show him at his best, are from when he was older or younger, and (2) detail and refinement increased in subsequent, later generations of BBs. Thus comparing Haney's back to Sergio's or anyone else's from the 70s must also address that reality-if they competed at their peaks in the same era either Sergio's back would be more detailed or Haney's less. This pic shows him with good detail.

As far as lat-waist taper, which is *the* most important criteria of all IMO, they were comparable. And of course Haney never had real overall balance in the rest of his physique, the torso completely overwhelming the limbs.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 09:21:59 AM »
sergio was more complete.

mind you, especially as a young boy, arms and chest were it. haney had a great chest but...

eric weider as a young boy, apparently asked his father (ben) who the 'four legged man' was when he first witnessed sergio posing on the platform. ;D

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 09:24:28 AM »
A little misleading, because (1) virtually *all* widely circulated Sergio pics don't show him at his best, are from when he was older or younger, and (2) detail and refinement increased in subsequent, later generations of BBs. Thus comparing Haney's back to Sergio's or anyone else's from the 70s must also address that reality-if they competed at their peaks in the same era either Sergio's back would be more detailed or Haney's less. This pic shows him with good detail.

As far as lat-waist taper, which is *the* most important criteria of all IMO, they were comparable. And of course Haney never had real overall balance in the rest of his physique, the torso completely overwhelming the limbs.

I agree, with the torso overpowering, and the taper, but Haney's back thickness, width, and detail was a cut above just as Yates had the best back of his day(and poor arms), and Ronnie had the best of his reign. On all other bodyparts Sergio kicked ass. Haney had great pecs, but droopy.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 09:27:36 AM »

SERGIO!!!!

Hey Sergio Rules 77, your scans of Sergio articles are great, thanks bro!

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 10:06:15 AM »
I agree, with the torso overpowering, and the taper, but Haney's back thickness, width, and detail was a cut above just as Yates had the best back of his day(and poor arms), and Ronnie had the best of his reign. On all other bodyparts Sergio kicked ass. Haney had great pecs, but droopy.

it's a little rich to say haney's pecs were 'droopy' ???

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 11:05:05 AM »
I like this pose of Haney's back

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 01:17:59 PM »
Haney had outstanding muscle quality. I think to be great he'd have had arms and legs that balanced with the great torso, without which i can't put him as high as some others because of serious balance issues.

Sergio Rules 77

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 03:02:38 PM »
Hey Sergio Rules 77, your scans of Sergio articles are great, thanks bro!

Glad you like them Figo :). There's still plenty more to come.

SERGIO!!!!

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 04:42:46 PM »
it's a little rich to say haney's pecs were 'droopy' ???

Yeah, look, no disrespect to a great champion, but when standing relaxed, they did sag, even Labrada's pecs at end of his career, did too. And I'm a big Labrada fan, and wish I had 1/4 of Haney's pec development.

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 05:41:55 PM »
What IFBB show is this?  :D

Sergio Rules 77

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 06:13:58 PM »

Here are some good shots of Sergio's back :

SERGIO!!!!

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 09:05:15 PM »
Here are some good shots of Sergio's back :
SERGIO!!!!

Sergio was amazing and I've seen pics of his back from the 1972 Mr. O as well as others and while he was great, Haney's back is one of the greatest ever. It's not a knock on Sergio but his back was NOT on par with Haney's.

Just thick as all heck, and notice his arms are FORWARD!

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 09:39:37 PM »
agreed, haney's back was incredible but, as pumpster pointed out, his limbs just didn't match his overpowering torso.

this is no knock on haney. he was a great and deserving champion but when you're comparing him to possibly the most genetically gifted bber of all time, you have to be critical.

haney's lats, chest and delts were outrageously massive and thick and, although he certainly had great arms and legs, they were over powered by the torso.